Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just read the entire Wikipedia article. Holy loving poo poo, that final quote from a survivor :stare:

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 22:53 on May 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Powerpoint

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Enoch Root posted:

After the surgery the only thing I remember is the moment before I went under looking at the IV in my hand and then waking up with the IV in my other hand with leather straps on both of my arms.

It's not a horrifying story, but I was watching a Tested podcast where Adam Savage told the most awesome surgery story ever.

James Randi (the famous magician and debunker) was having surgery done, and was chatting with the nurse before going under. Eventually he tells her about being a magician etc.

"Oh, so you're a magician? I'll show you a trick. Close your eyes and count backwards from 10."

So he counted backwards 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 and when he opened his eyes, he was in the recovery room!

The nurse had memorized where he dozed off during the count-down and had restarted him counting at that number while he was waking up. Apparently, it felt completely seamless to him, and he regards it as the best magic trick he's ever been part of.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Could I get a link to the episode, by chance?

It's one of their "Still Untitled - The Adam Savage project" podcasts, but I can't remember which one. You should watch/listen to all of them, though, they're full of great stories and random geeky ramblings on everything from home ownership to which place in the Mission District has the best burritos.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

benito posted:

Content: Charles Bonnet Syndrome. If you have vision loss, you can start hallucinating things that aren't there. Particularly people. Small, creepy people in costumes who constantly make eye contact. From the drat Interesting article:

quote:

A significant percentage of patients also describe floating, disembodied faces that squirm into their field of vision at random times. These often have wide, unblinking eyes; prominent teeth; and features reminiscent of a stone gargoyle.

That sounds a whole like those subtle effects they put in the newer editions of The Exorcist, the ones that are kinda like the after-images you get from flash photography.

Charles Bonnet Syndrome sounds creepy as gently caress.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

And in a lot of cases, you'll be completely unaware that something is wrong.

Everything you know, everything you sense is handled by that squishy lump your skull. Your brain does a lot of filtering and interpolation, throwing away most of you see and hear.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 23:24 on Jun 14, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SPANKO! :v:

At least the dude had a sense of humor.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Here's another cheery one about WWII:

quote:

But the Japanese wasn't dead. He had been wounded severely in the back and couldn't move his arms; otherwise he would have resisted to his last breath. The Japanese's mouth glowed with huge gold-crowned teeth, and his captor wanted them. He put the point of his kabar [combat knife] on the base of a tooth and hit the handle with the palm of his hand. Because the Japanese was kicking his feet and thrashing about, the knife point glanced off the tooth and sank deeply into the victim's mouth. The Marine cursed him and with a slash cut his cheeks open to each ear. He put his foot on the sufferer's lower jaw and tried again. Blood poured out of the soldier's mouth. He made a gurgling noise and thrashed wildly. I shouted, “Put the man out of his misery.” All I got for an answer was a cussing out. Another Marine ran up, put a bullet in the enemy soldier's brain, and ended his agony. The scavenger grumbled and continued extracting his prizes undisturbed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_mutilation_of_Japanese_war_dead

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Centripetal Horse posted:

I watched that video, yesterday. That guy does a remarkable job of ambulating, considering his condition.

Yeah, I was surprised at just how well he does it, despite having to deliberately map out every single movement in his mind before performing it.

I can't even imagine how hard it must have been to learn. He even gestures as he is talking, something that is completely automatic for the rest of us, but he has to mentally remember to do it, and how to do it.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 22:43 on Oct 16, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

RevSyd posted:

I got a small blind spot out of nowhere once, for an hour or two. Scared the hell out of me until I looked it up and found out that that's something that just happens once in a great while. So I started playing with it... it's interesting seeing your brains "error correction" in action, when you try really hard to see what you can't see. If I put it over the end of my finger, it looked like I had half a finger. But if I put it over the middle of my finger, my brain tried to "fill in" the missing part and it looked like a blurry spot in the middle of a normal finger. It reminded me of video game antialiasing, my brain looked at the surrounding area and just kinda averaged it into a blurry patch of color. Weirdest drat thing.

This happens to me about once every month or so, as a symptom that I'm about to have a migraine attack. It's a pretty reliable sign that I have to find a dark room and lay down for a couple of hours.

It's sometimes referred to as a migraine aura or optical migraine, and it's pretty weird. The first time it happened, I was terrified that something had happened to one of my eyes until I noticed both eyes were affected in the exact same way.

Then I realized it was my brain :ohdear: (Which it actually was, but not in a harmful way)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

nocal posted:

I live on the second floor on a quiet street, and normally my windows are open. The other night, I hear a woman emit a blood-curdling, full-volume scream; it can't be more than 10 meters from my window.
"Don't loving touch me! No! Nooooo!"
Of course I'm instantly somewhat-awake. I'm rolling around, looking for my phone to call the cops.
"You fucker! You say you love me, but you loving PEED ON MEEEE!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6HRQVki-HM

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Maybe bury something semi-obvious and make it look like nothing else is there?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ernie Muppari posted:

There's a documentary some friends and I watched about something in a similar vein called The Galapagos Affair: Satan Came to Eden

The best description of the whole mess I've found comes from some site called Rough Guides.

EDIT: Though that article doesn't mention the fact that the Wittmers settled there because Heinz read some of Friedrich's crap that somehow got published, or that Friedrich was really pissed that he and Dore wouldn't have the entire island to themselves and went out of his way to make that known to the Wittmers. Or that Margaret Wittmer was Not Okay with her husband just moving the family to literally the middle of nowhere.

Seriously, watch the documentary, it's fascinating.
That is some Valhalla Rising-type hosed up poo poo right there :stare:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Kursk wasn't just a tragedy, it was a goddamn travesty of how to handle naval accidents.

It happened at only 100 meters, that's well within the range of routine submarine rescue methods.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 10:56 on Feb 27, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rochallor posted:

I read Nothing to Envy a few months ago and I think this bit here is going to stay with me for the rest of my life. Out of context, without reading about the previous fifteen to twenty years of unbelievably horrible stuff that's happened, it might not be as effective, but it still says a lot, I think.

If that hits even harder after reading what comes before it in the book, I'm not sure I want to read it :ohdear:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

After watching the Vice documentary on Krystle Cole (was it linked in this thread?), which pretty much portrays her as an innocent small town girl victimized by evil drug lords, I started reading up on what happened between her, Gordon Todd Skinner and Brandon Green. I am astounded that she is not in jail on a multiple life sentence, if even half of this article is true. I mean yeah, Skinner is a monster, but Cole's scary as gently caress.

http://thislandpress.com/gordon-todd-skinner/

Some seriously hosed up stuff went on between those people.

And what is Krystle Cole doing today? She's running a website (http://neurosoup.com) and Youtube channel promoting "responsible drug use". Gives me the loving chills to think about.

E: Here are some direct excerpts from the report on Skinner/Cole/etc.: https://www.reddit.com/r/LSD/comments/1xx059/former_stripper_krystle_cole_talks_about_her_time/cffn1i5

Which paints an even darker picture of Krystle Cole.

Question from Pre-Trial Investigator: "Do you believe the Defendant is a serious threat to the community?"
Answer: "Yes, very much so. She is young, evil and enthusiastic."

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 13:11 on Mar 18, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yes, absolutely. The same thing goes for the Vice documentary on her.

I mean, she seems so giggly and carefree, mostly like someone who's just been on psychedelics for too long. She doesn't seem evil or insane or psychopathic or anything. That just makes the whole thing even scarier to me, because you can't really trust the testimony of anyone involved in that case, not even the victim Brandon Green, as they were all constantly hosed up on mind-altering drugs.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Vindolanda posted:

Is it one of those things where they really don't understand why people don't like them, do you think? Like, they're not sure how to attack anti-scientology propaganda, so their attempts are really odd?

Something something about how you cannot reason with true believers.

They're so deep into the Scientology myth and stories and fiction that they truly believe it to be 100% factual and true, and cannot comprehend the alternative. They actually cannot understand how anyone could possibly disagree with them.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Also, Joaquin Phoenix' family used to be members of the cult Children of God (now Family International), so he has some personal experience on the subject.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Parasol Prophet posted:

Man, the rational part of my brain knows you take more of a risk driving to work every morning than flying on a plane, but then there's the little paranoid part going "Nope nope nope nope nope" and calculating how much more vacation time I'd need to take the train cross-country rather than fly.

Flying is very safe, but in the few cases where it goes bad, it goes very bad.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

"Do you know where they are?"

"No idea, I don't know where I am."

That's just terrifying, but at least he has absolutely no idea himself.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nouvelle Vague posted:

On the topic of building collapses, I've always been drawn to the Sampoong Department Store Collapse especially since it was basically caused by the rapid expansion and corruption in South Korea. It was just so loving deadly.

quote:

The last to be rescued, 19-year-old Park Seung-hyun (박승현; 朴昇賢), was pulled from the wreckage 17 days after the collapse with a few scratches. She said that she heard the sounds of other survivors drowning in the fire department's deflation(?) water.

:stonk:

That is just the worst. You survive a massive multi-story building collapse, only to drown in the water sprayed on the rubble by the fire department.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 21:50 on Apr 28, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Imagined posted:

Better or worse than burning alive or suffocating on smoke? Seems like there are few good options at that point.

Worse, because you die by the hands of the people who are supposed to save you.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nckdictator posted:

Matt Pickett died in the fire but the Sony Walkman he was carrying in his pocket to record the concert survived. The ATF was able to salvage the burned recorder the piece together the whole thing using computers.

That just continues to amaze me. Considering how brutal the fire was, and how the club looked afterwards, the fact that they could get anything at all intelligible out of a cassette tape is astounding.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ElMaligno posted:

Yes, you fuckers SHOULD be scared.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”

Living in a country where the furthest you can get from the sea is ~50km, sailing and fishing obviously has had a strong influence on our history. A common local saying is "only a fool does not fear the sea", and I assume similar sayings exist in all sea-faring cultures.

The ocean is mighty and does not care for you.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

p-hop posted:

Reminds me of a nasty plant we have here in New York state, Giant Hogweed. Our state department of conservation website shows up on Google as the first results, even above the Wikipedia page. I've seen them in person, they're sunflower sized Queen Anne's lace. Like that lovely aussie plant quoted above, you never ever want to touch one.

Yeah whatever dude, I've had poison ivy before... :nms:

nope
oh dear
this hand looks like it is going to pop

We have that here in Scandinavia too, we call it Giant Bear Claw.

It used to be everywhere because people thought the dried plants looked nice. So they would strap them to the roofs of their cars and bring them home, spreading seeds everyfuckingwhere :doh:

Oh yeah, and it grows up to five meters high and is almost impossible to get rid of once it takes root, since it spreads like crazy.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 07:01 on May 13, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jack Gladney posted:

That was the most exhausting seven minutes of my life. What do you think the time signature on that music is?

That was slow as poo poo, bro.

They should have had this guy playing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88OgWvVJLkI

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just can't over how goddamn AMERICAN everything put out by Scientology is.

As a nation, you guys really do love your fancy graphics, dynamic go-getter type soundtracks and pumped up narrators.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

At least those divers come out alive, so it can't be that bad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollution_of_Lake_Karachay

quote:

Some parts of the lake are extremely radioactive (600 röntgens/hour) and you could receive a lethal dose of radiation in 30 minutes (300 röntgens). Radiation from the Chernobyl disaster added to the pollution of Lake Karachay. Some experts have suggested that the radioactivity has spread to the Techa River and may even reach the Arctic Ocean.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

gently caress :smith:

Humans are bastards.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've had muscle biopsies taken before, and it's not something I want to do ever again if I can avoid it. This video makes me all kinds of uncomfortable. My biopsies were done for science, this dude is getting one to find out what human flesh tastes like. And there is no loving way he was walking normally without wincing for about a week after having it done.

:nms: warning, they show the entire procedure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHvg8AR81-8

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 17:00 on Mar 20, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mostly red meat, with a hint of chicken, apparently. Pretty tasty, too.

He doesn't actually eat his own flesh, because that's illegal. However, he does make a burger from mixed meats, based on analysis of it. He also takes a long good whiff of his own cooked flesh before that.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 21:35 on Mar 20, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

13Pandora13 posted:

Wait, why is illegal to eat your own flesh?

I dunno, but that's what he says in the video.

The medical term is "autophagia", if you want to look it up.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

"Behavioral issues", my rear end.

It's the same drat thing that happened to JFK's sister Rosemary, except in her case they had a prefrontal lobotomy performed on her, simply because she was a rebellious and assertive teenager.

E: Seriously, this is part of one program's "teen assessment":

quote:

• Had any changes in behavior and / or mood? (i.e. sad, angry, withdrawn, etc.)
• Exhibited depressive symptoms? (i.e. weight loss, weight gain, excessive sleep, etc.)
• Had problems getting along with others?
• Do you suspect that your child has used drugs or alcohol?
• Has your child disregarded family rules and parental guidance?
• Has you child been able to escape consequences due to the ability to manipulate people and situations?
• Had problems in school? (i.e. poor grades, challenging authority, etc.)

E2:

That drat Satyr posted:

The first thing that came to mind was the dude that did the 2011 shootings in Norway, but that was a politically sponsored camp and he was just mad over Muslims.

What Breivik did has absolutely no relation to these types of "camps". The island camp he shot up was a normal summer camp for members of AUF, the Norwegian Labour Party's youth organization. I can assure you that absolutely no brainwashing goes on there apart from the usual benign political party groupthink, and that everyone was there voluntarily. I know you're probably not trying to draw any parallels, I just don't want anyone to get the wrong idea :)

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 10:09 on Jun 10, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mad Hamish posted:

This describes the most recent earthquake I felt where I live - I was at work, and I assumed that it had been one of the exceptionally large women who worked there walking past. The building was poorly constructed and they actually made the floor shake.

I get that at my apartment if the people in the apartment above me walk around with particularly heavy footfalls. It's almost like the building forms a crude resonance chamber.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Droogie posted:

MASSIVE GIGANTIC CLUSTERFUCK

Holy poo poo, it's like everything that could go wrong, did go wrong.

Miscommunications, loving civilians just wandering in like it's a goddamn guided tour, multiple standoffs between SWAT/police teams, confiscated weapons left unguarded, national guardsmen clearing away undocumented crime scenes, taking "souvenirs", the list goes on.

And nobody learning a goddamned thing :(

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Segmentation Fox posted:

You're a living Chuck Tingle novel?

Aren't we all?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Zodijackylite posted:

If we're talking about murderers and music, would anyone be interested in some not-quite-long-form writeups about murderers in black metal? :black101: I am qualified to teach :black101: Black101 :black101: and beyond.

Spoiler: Two groups of neo-nazi murderers are more famous than ever after being released from prison, the gay-slashing orthodox Satanist is legendary, and the guy who couldn't finish his axe-murder returned after two vocalists committed suicide, only to release a lackluster album about Nazi Germans. And much more!

Oh yeah, lay on the Faust/Jon Nödtveidt/Varg Vikernes/etc. hosed-up-ness.

Black Metal is a crazy as gently caress scene.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Oh yeah, I left a lot of people, but there are just so many of them. People like Gaahl, who:

quote:

From April to December 2006, [...] spent another nine months (of a fourteen-month sentence) in prison. He was accused of assaulting and torturing a man for six hours while collecting his blood into a cup and threatening to make him drink it. The victim received a total of 190,000 NOK (32,424 US$) in compensation. Gaahl claims that he was acting in self-defense, saying: "I was the one who was attacked, but they think I punished him too hard. As I always say, when people cross my line ... then I will be the one to decide what their punishment will be."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkl4Yeh-BTo

What a cheery fellow! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

WickedHate posted:

This is the most black metal name ever. What a bunch of edgelords.

That is probably the most apt description. Fed up with living in some of the most peaceful and safe countries in the world, they decided to act out in the most extreme ways possible, to "scare the normals".

Also, I believe Euronymous didn't even want to record or sell anything, and when he did finally decide to sell tapes through his store "Helvete" ("Hell"), he originally wanted people to fill out application forms, in order to even be allowed to buy their music. Basically, you had to prove you were evil enough for him.

I have a friend who's got a gigantic tape collection of mostly black metal. Most of it is like 1 of only 20 tapes ever made of that album, released on various extremely obscure Eastern European or South American labels that you can only order from if you know someone who knows someone. Forget about online stores or even email, for most of them you have to send a letter or call them directly. Or you have to know which obscure unannounced tape trader get-together to attend. It's even more ridiculous than it sounds.

And of course 99,9% of these tapes sound like absolute poo poo. A running joke in my group of metal-listening friends is that proper black metal must be recorded on a busted Fisher-Price tape recorder using the built-in microphone, stuffed inside an empty oil barrel in the middle of a blizzard.