Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buh
May 17, 2008
Yeah the creepiness entirely comes from knowing he actually did it. I'm pretty sure half the boys in my school wrote crap like that when they were 15 and edgy; if I'd read it without context that's all I'd assume it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buh
May 17, 2008
The bones of hundreds of children have been found unceremoniously dumped in a septic tank in a home for unwed mothers from the 1960s. Horrific as hell. I'm also creeped out by the blatant discrimination by those that avoided dying of neglect and made it to school and wherever.

Buh has a new favorite as of 03:30 on Jun 4, 2014

Buh
May 17, 2008
That was justified - it coincided with a goon trend of responding to every god drat picture by pointing out how they very slightly resembled a c list celebrity.
In a lot o cases the person making the comparison was the only one who thought they were similar at all.

I genuinely think I have some degree of propoagnosia.
I have on three occasions failed to realise that someone I hit on via grindr was someone I'd met in real life (one time we'd left a party five minutes earlier).
Every time a TV character makes a shocking return, it's with a silent dramatic shot and they have new hair so I have no goddamn idea who they are. I actually did this with a real-life friend for three while days because I happened to keep seeing him on campus but he didn't speak. to me. Haircut = oh god who are you
I've done those psych tests where they take out colour and hair and ask you 'have you seen this face before' and I have 0% idea and have to blindly guess.

Its main effect on my life is a series of awkward moments where I try to convey that I actually like you even though I appear to have utterly forgotten that you exist. Generally hearing your voice or being explicitly being told your name will trigger a lit of memories that your face just doesn't.

The worst part is I'm visually distinct (ginger) and so I've never, ever been in the scenario where they're the one who can't recognise me.

Buh has a new favorite as of 23:51 on Oct 19, 2014

Buh
May 17, 2008
It's also very easy to introduce false memories in people of normal intelligence. Repeated confessions and a low intelligence might have left him genuinely convinced or confused about events that didn't happen. Already in that first confession there's blurred lives between what he saw and what he just heard about.

Buh
May 17, 2008

The Cameo posted:

Her family probably had the tape destroyed once the sheriff's office handed it over to them.

That and it was early enough that the chance of one of the few VCR owners just happening to record a random news bulletin are minute.

Buh
May 17, 2008

Pilchenstein posted:

According to wikipedia, aerogels were invented in the thirties but I'm sure I remember them being invented just a few years ago? Am I a time-wizard or something? gently caress this thread, I don't know which way is up anymore. :psyduck:

Probably just the difference between invention and ability to produce it effectively/economically enough for actual use.

Buh
May 17, 2008
I've met plenty of people with mental illness who are church going charity supporting types whose illness mostly manifests as self flagellation, guilt, anxiety and the like. But they function well enough that they're effectively invisible and will certainly never make a sexy headline.

Buh
May 17, 2008

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I dunno, I think there are enough differences between the two stories that at least one of the men, if not both of them, could have easily existed at some point. The attributes shared by both stories, for the most part, strike me as things that would be plausible or common for people suffering from conditions like theirs in that time period. Their alleged birth countries are far enough apart that it seems unlikely both tales evolved from the circulation of one single story.

It's not unlikely once the story spread to other places; any Filthy Foreign Parts will do if you can't remember which is which, it just has to be far away enough that people will believe crazy stories about it. Even today Westerners will believe anything about China or Japan.

Buh
May 17, 2008

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

People do realize that the Lindberg baby was killed by his uncle, right? Because drat there are a lot of people who seem to think it's still some grand unsolved mystery from the past.

Wanna provide an article that spells out why this is so obvious?

Buh
May 17, 2008

Phyzzle posted:

Also, I remember people were unnerved by how the parents acted afterwards. A bit too much smiling and waving at the cameras? I think the same effect happened with Amanda Knox, whose behavior didn't seem quite right to the Italian cops after she was informed her roommate was murdered. Probably because she was rolling on Ecstasy. In that case, they more or less convicted her on a hunch.

This happened with Lindy Chamberlain, as in 'a dingo stole my baby'.
People just got on a witchhunt about her not grieving on TV in a way that they deemed appropriate. Also for some reason I can never fathom everyone acted like it was a crazy sci fi scenario that a dingo would take a baby (it's a predatory wild animal that easily has the strength to do so, what's not to get).

Then in 1999, after Chamberlain had been released from her false imprisonment and pardoned, dingos indisputably killed another kid and everyone sort of quietly pretended they'd never scoffed at it.

Buh has a new favorite as of 01:26 on Feb 10, 2015

Buh
May 17, 2008

radioaktivitat posted:

I recall hearing an 'alternative' theory about Madeline which claimed she'd just got scared on her own, left the apartment to look for her parents and ended up wandering the few hundred yards to the beach and drowning in the sea. Seems a little bit far-fetched for a 3 year old but then so does all the hysteria about international sex rings.

My three year old nephew managed to do this with the whole family sleeping in the hotel room. Woke up at the crack of dawn, decided he was bored, went down to the beach by himself. If it weren't for the stroke of luck that it was ANZAC day, which people commemorate with dawn ceremonies on beaches, this could have been a much worse story instead of one where some old people looked after him for a bit.

Buh
May 17, 2008
There's already been like three or four goon murderers, we passed that point years ago. Someone with a better memory please to list them ITT

Buh
May 17, 2008
Every day I drive past the ABC Centre Brisbane, which closed about ten years ago because of a cancer cluster. There were only like 11 people affected, over the course of years (it was one of those cases were a few happen together than every one that's every happened retroactively becomes part of the trend).

They tested the building in every imaginable way for a possible cause, and found nothing. But once the idea was in people's heads there was no going back (particularly because, for obvious reasons, it got huge amounts of media exposure). It's a massive building right on the riverfront and it will be closed forever because the moment any worker in that building gets cancer, hysteria will break out again and everyone will be sued to oblivion. They kept the 'for sale' sign up for a few years of misguided optimism but at this point they've given up forever.

Buh
May 17, 2008

NiceGuy posted:

This is a fair point, however

This is loving stupid. Whatever the circumstances, the guy killed 130+ people and it wasn't an accident. People have the right to be upset about that.

Being upset, yes. Saying ignorant poo poo about mental illness because it makes you feel comfortably separated from the perpetraor, nah.

Buh
May 17, 2008
The biggest factor is simply that most of the dangerous animals live in nondescript bushland while people live in ordinary cities and barely see wildlife at all.

About the only thing that genuinely is everywhere is venomous spiders, but they don't actively try to bite people; none of them kill especially fast; and we have effective anti venoms for every one of them. There hasn't been a fatality in over 30 years and there's only ever gonna be one if some poor gently caress gets bitten in the middle of the Nullabor or something.

Buh
May 17, 2008
Someone shared a plausible-sounding anecdote of the Max Headroom perpatrator on reddit a few years back. No proof, but I buy the explanation of his motive.

Buh
May 17, 2008

AKA Pseudonym posted:

The thing that jumps out at me is the part where they told him to "watch channel 11 tonight." For one thing that's an awfully big hint to drop to some 13 year-old. But there's also the fact that channel 11 was the victim of the second incident and that one seems to have been a back-up plan whoever it was resorted to after WGN cut him off. There are a bunch of references to WGN in the video too, so there's reason to think they were the prime target all along.

The channel being wrong isn't necessarily a problem - after years you'd be more likely to look up what channel was actually hit than accurately remember the wrong information you were given. But I'm with you on the big portentous hint, particularly the bit where the young man manages to miss its not-even-slightly-cryptic meaning the next day.

Buh
May 17, 2008
There seems to be two contradictory accounts of this guy; either he was doped into a coma the whole time or he was awake and screaming for death while the heartless bastards kept him alive for their evil science purposes.
What's the reputable story on this one?

Buh
May 17, 2008

aardwolf posted:

I'm pretty sure most kids have gotten separated from mum/dad in a chaotic environment like a shopping mall at some point. Children are curious and wander off, adults get distracted and aren't paying attention. I genuinely don't understand where the trickery part fits in.

They checked with the parents to make sure the story hadn't actually happened to the kid.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

How could someone not notice the gorilla?
The effect is ruined if you expect the gorilla (and most do, as it's become so popular) but if you go in blind it's effective and rather freaky.

Buh has a new favorite as of 12:17 on Aug 15, 2015

Buh
May 17, 2008
I think it's just an individual variance thing where most people's memory won't kick in before five.
My memory of being really young seems to be stronger than what most other people talk about. I have lots of distinct memories from before I started school (at 5.5 years). The earliest one I can date is the birth of my cat when I was 3.5.

Buh
May 17, 2008

Decrepus posted:

So you can kill people and blame memes? Neato.

No but if you're a child with one of the most severe brain problems possible it shouldn't be made completely impossible for you to get treated.

Buh
May 17, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

That was an all right article. The "Jaws extra" theory in #1 is really, really dumb though. Even if it somehow was her, the detective work comes down to "She's a white lady! And has brown hair and a face!"

It would also add no information if it was her. So she was alive and in her home town a month before she was murdered. Could have guessed that already. Unless someone can dig up a full list of named extras for the day of the scene it tells us nothing.

Buh
May 17, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The cons of being a famous writer. When you die, they'll publish every piece of crap written by you.

You say 'piece of crap' I say 'magnum opus'

Buh
May 17, 2008

outlier posted:

It's a classic bit of reddit / websleuths detective work: this is a caucasian woman with mid-length brown hair. This photo is of a caucasian woman with mid-length brown hair. QED" they must be the same person! See the Tara calico & Amy Bradley pictures. They really have no idea how many people there are in the world and how many of them look a little alike.

They also like to read life stories into facial expressions. Look at her eyes, those can only be the eyes of someone who was sold into sex slavery. Nobody's ever taken a photo where they look angry for no reason at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buh
May 17, 2008

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Getting a false identity back then wasn't hard at all. If she was smart enough to get a GED and then an associates degree she was well qualified to get a fake identity prior to, like, 1990. Kevin Mitnick had the FBI searching for him and he managed it (I mean, he's a very intelligent person but the ID theft part of his life was not the difficult part of his avoiding the FBI) three or four times basically just using a phone and a library. The way she did it is common because choosing a dead person means you get to cash out on Social Security and stuff where as choosing a living one means the actual real life person might retire before you or get arrested or something.

There was basically zero communication between states so you pretty much just needed to find the kind of scenario she used: an infant with a similar birthdate that died along with the parents in a car crash/house fire. Find one in another state and nobody will ever question.

All it would take was either a dedicated search of old obituaries to find the right target; there were probably even shady people who'd already done that bit and would sell the identities.

She also only needed it long enough to get a legal name change; after that she has an essentially legitimate identify for everything that doesn't ask for a birth certificate.

Buh has a new favorite as of 11:29 on Sep 24, 2015