Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

CodfishCartographer posted:

I've always found Jonestown super creepy and interesting. This is a really good documentary on it for those that're more interested in everything.
I've always known about Jonestown and read the wiki pages ages ago. But that doco.. Oh my! And that audio too!

I never realized how close it was to collapsing before the mass suicide. You had people handing notes to reporters hours before saying they want out. When Jones realized it wasn't going his way he "quickly quickly quickly" started that awful process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Adding to the chorus but holy heck read this link. It's unnerving. Have they made this into a television film yet? Can they please not because I don't want it to exist.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Of course by "anti-suicide stuff", I'm sure you just mean a simple barrier that would force people to put effort into climbing over it. Why anyone would fight against that is just baffling to me. So many of these suicides are people who just say "gently caress it" and hop over the rail really quick, and The Bridge featured testimony from a guy who said he regretted jumping the instant he did it but it was too late to grab onto anything. Simple barriers that force people to put more effort into jumping are proven to be effective in preventing a lot of them.

I guess its just that same old stigma where some think that suicidal people don't deserve help or resources because they're weak or disrespectful to God or whatever.
Mental Illness Happy Hour recently had a conversation with a police officer who dealt with Golden Gate jumpers. It is very good.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

https://kreepykatsmurdermysteryblog.wordpress.com/
New Zealand girl goes to the scenes of old terrible crimes. I've been really digging it lately, lots of information and photos.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah can you gently caress off m8.

Back to that attachment therapy girl: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candace_Newmaker
This makes me so so sad because a) I'm a child of '89 too and for whatever reason that's enough to feel a 'team' bond with her. Like one of ours got tortured. and b) as somebody studying to be a psychologist/psychiatrist reading about attachment therapy freaks me out. there are so many ways psychological techniques can be damaging.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

[quote="nutty putty" post=""""]
In the pit, eight people worked as one.
[/quote]
https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/07/09/nutty-putty-i-really/

tw: claustrophobia

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

death sucks, i know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9D8dzl4zGk
please enjoy this UFO video courtesy of Tom DeLonge American musician.
then blast some art bell this eclectic adventure in the night coast to coast am.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTOtmwfV2Z0
I know this fora is heavily American but for those, like me, who did not have coast to coast in their popular culture you gotta check him out. total unnerving spooky fun sleepy stuff. and if you are like me and you find yourself browsing this thread after midnight - he is a perfect companion.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

PhantomPayne posted:

It's always horrifying learning that the medical education is broken pretty much everywhere.

When I was an intern (in mexico) we had to do "night guards" every third day. We would work 36 hours + extra time depending on your rotating service (internal medicine loved doing expositions and classes, so we were out at 6, and surgery was pretty much operating all day, sometimes finishing the day at 7ish).

Pretty much every night guard was a skeleton team with 3 residents and an intern that were all hungry, tired and sleep deprived, but loving something up (a note, a class, or not reading up a new article) would get you punished and get you another night guard, which would in turn become a vicious cycle.

There was one ortho resident who basically resigned himself to living his whole first year inside the resident quarters since most of his higher ups liked to gently caress with him and punish him for any single detail.

I saw a lot of breakdowns, and they would be pretty much be ignored by the education staff since, "thats real life" and "if you cant handle stress you aren't cut out to be a doctor".

Last I heard, the night guards were now every fourth day, which sounds a bit better, but our health education system should get a whole revamp considering how stressful it is for a 23 year old thats integral for a hospital to function correctly.
Sheesh! Its broken here in nz too. I'm always hovering around going to med school but stories like this make me just want to continue working in libraries my whole life.

To contribute: There is an urban myth from the peninsula i'm from called 'mr. mawhogaloga man'. In restrospect, it might be a racist thing because it might have been derived from Te Reo Māori but regardless! The story went as such:

A local farmer became a volunteer rural ambulance driver. One night, his wife got really sick so he drove her to the city. Only, he was drinking and took a wrong turn. The ambulance tipped off a large embankment and his wife died instantly. Since that night, he become a terror of the night. He'd wander around other farms and cry in the bush. He was a recluse who would intentionally scare trampers by yelling/jumping at them but he was never physically violent.

Actually thinking about it now, this story really stigmatizes ill health and bad mental health so drat it. But as a kid, we'd be told about Mr. Mawhogaloga man around campfires and before burma trails. All my friends who grew up on the same peninsula know the story but none of us know where it came from. I haven't been able to find any references online, the only reference is a comment i made on reddit like a decade ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/8kc7p/what_is_the_scariest_experience_youve_ever_had/c09ki7b/ lol, and I think it was probably something a camp leader made up in the 80s or something. OR WAS IT.

Lampsacus has a new favorite as of 05:24 on Aug 12, 2019

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Academia is designed to make you insane and unintelligible.
Academia is reciting scores like the devil's paraquito.

zapffe posted:

In depressive states, the mind may be seen in the image of such an antler, in all its fantastic splendour pinning its bearer to the ground.
The only good of universities is to provide settings for lurking horror and other unnerving stories.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Also, depends on whether you believe 'epstein didn't kill himself' is just 'we have questions' or 'leaving reality'.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

One More Fat Nerd posted:

If you haven't seen the documentary, this isn't really a joke. Its not outright stated, but its pretty heavily implied there was an actual qanon style cabal of elite pedos, and Saville was deep in the group.
I mean, there was that briefcase of evidence lost en route between (?) police stations in the UK in the 80s and then there was this (NSFL) just across the channel:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Dutroux

I don't think it's a stretch to say there is a lot of old money tied up in it all, and the culture of silence around Saville speaks for itself. So many people knew, but like another poster said, silence is the ticket in to British journalism. Silence is the ticket in, often really, I've seen it here in the nz music scene. there will be sudden outing of some dude and all these chill indie cool nz musicians absolutely knew but didn't say anything because silence is the ticket in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

DesperateDan posted:

worst thing about saville was the whole media timeline of

- oh hey now he's dead we can finally talk about how saville had been noncing kids dead or alive for years with the explicit knowledge and assistance of at least dozens of people

- this was the case because a large proportion of celebrities and related jobs were also active paedophiles/complicit in enabling abuse and a bunch are still alive/powerful/active

- heh oh and politicians too, and there's little reason to think anything changed

- dont worry though cause there will be an extensive investigation into establishment and media paedophile rings that would never get sidelined, buried utterly and forgotten about like it didn't exist

- *sudden and absolute unerring silence on that particular issue forevermore*

there was a vanishingly quick peek behind the curtain but that was it, like ghislane maxwell who is gonna go down for selling kids to loving nobody, don't ask about that

An overarching panel inquiry was announced by the Home Secretary, Theresa May, in July 2014, to examine how the country's institutions had handled their duty of care to protect children from sexual abuse.[161] It was to be led by an independent panel of experts, and was to be chaired by Baroness Butler-Sloss.

On 14 July it was announced that Baroness Butler-Sloss was standing down, and that a new chair would be appointed.[162]

On 5 September it was announced that it would be chaired by Fiona Woolf[163] but on 31 October 2014 she too resigned from the role.[164]

On 4 February 2015 May announced that the inquiry would be chaired by Justice Lowell Goddard, a New Zealand High Court judge, and would be given new powers as a statutory inquiry.[165] Dame Goddard resigned the chair of the Inquiry on 4 August 2016