Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Floyd Collins reminded me of another scary underground/underwater story: David Shaw and the body of Deon Dreyer. Deon died in 1994 while diving in Bushman's Hole, a very very deep (927 feet)freshwater cave. His body wasn't recovered and the cave became his grave, with his parents placing a plaque memorializing him at the surface. It was assumed that because the cave was so deep and dangerous that his body would never be recovered.

In 2005, another diver, David Shaw, saw a body at 886 feet down (only seven other people had ever dived this deep). It was Deon Dreyer, and Shaw decided to return and recover his body so his parents could bury him properly. This was not a great idea, because deep water cave diving is really, really dangerous at the best of times.

quote:

Aside from the dangers of getting trapped or lost, breathing deep-dive gas mixes—usually a combination of helium, nitrogen, and oxygen known as trimix—at extreme underwater pressure can kill you in any number of ways. For example, at depth, oxygen can become toxic, and nitrogen acts like a narcotic—the deeper you go, the stupider you get. Divers compare narcosis to drinking martinis on an empty stomach, and, depending on the gas mix you're using, at 800-plus feet you can feel like you've downed at least four or five of them all at once. Helium is no better; it can send you into nervous, twitching fits. Then, if you don't breathe slowly and deeply, carbon dioxide can build up in your lungs and you'll black out. And if you ascend too quickly, all the nitrogen and helium that has been forced into your tissues under pressure can fizz into tiny bubbles, causing a condition known as the bends, which can result in severe pain, paralysis, and death. To try to avoid getting the bends, extreme divers spend hours on ascent, sitting at targeted depths for carefully calculated periods of decompression to allow the gases to flush safely from their bodies. As divers say, if you do the depth, you do the time.

But Shaw was an experienced diver and one of those guys who was always in search of a new extreme. He designed a body bag that would fit Deon's skeletonized body and all his dive gear, and set up a massive recovery effort that included 9 divers and 35 backup gas cylinders. It was the most complicated deep dive ever attempted.

11 minutes after Shaw started diving, he reached Deon's body and started putting the body bag around it. Two minutes after that, his dive partner saw that Shaw wasn't moving and no bubbles were coming from his dive gear. Something went wrong, and he was dead. The recovery effort was aborted and changed to a rescue mission to get all the support divers out safely, and it was assumed that Shaw would join Deon in his watery grave.

The next day, though, the team returning to the cave to clear up all the remaining dive equipment realized that Shaw had indeed managed to free Deon's body, because they had floated up from the depths of the cave together. Deon's body had been mummified in the deep, cold water and was still the same size and shape it had been when he was alive. It was returned to his parents, just as Shaw had wanted.

This picture was taken right before Shaw (left) started diving. It's the last picture of him alive, although his last moments were recorded by a camera on his helmet (which is apparently on Youtube, but I didn't care to watch).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Wildeyes posted:

I think we discussed the Galveston hurricane of 1900 in the last thread. Not only was it the deadliest natural disaster in US history, but according to wiki, "More people were killed in this single storm than the total of those killed in all the tropical cyclones that have struck the United States since." But the real horror is always in the details.

To give you an idea of the kind of task they were looking at,

Anyway, that's the summary...I mainly brought this up to post this telegraph, which was sent to the governor of Texas days after the hurricane struck. I'm not sure exactly why, but it's one of the more chilling things I've read:

There's a really good book about this called "Isaac's Storm" by Eric Larson if you want even more horrifying details.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
If you want to talk about Franklin's Lost Expedition and get creeped out, let me introduce John Torrington.

He died at the beginning of the Franklin Expedition in 1846, but that was exhumed in 1982. He'd been buried in the permafrost and his body had been perfectly preserved.

Natural mummies are pretty unnerving, so please post all your favorite mummies.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I've been reading a lot about Franklin's Lost Expedition lately (nonfiction and fiction both) so this timing is great for me. Like, I'm reading "Frozen in Time" right now and they find the actual ship right as I'm reading about it? So cool.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
With regards to Tollund Man, bodies aren't the only things that have been found preserved in bogs.

This is the Fadden Moore Psalter (book of Psalms), and it was written around 800 CE. In 2006, a guy using a bulldozer to harvest peat discovered it. Luckily, he realized how important his find was and covered it back up with damp soil to keep it safe for the archaeologists. It has a lining of Egyptian papyrus and is one of the oldest Western books to still be bound in their original form.

Now how many similar artifacts do you suppose have been destroyed or lost throughout the ages?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Here is a mummy I'd like to know more about : St. Bee's Man. He was a knight who was killed in the Crusades in 1368 named Anthony de Lucy, and his body was buried in a lead coffin that perfectly preserved his body to the point that when it was discovered in 1981, his skin was pink, his irises were visible, and he had liquid blood in his chest.

Unfortunately, there aren't many pictures of him online, which is frustrating because when I hear about a perfectly preserved mummy I want to see him, dammit, and judge for myself. There's a nice transcription of a talk about him here that describes his discovery, autopsy, and the process of identifying him, as well as a brief discussion of some similar mummies.

I wonder if any of de Lucy's descendants could be found, and if so, how they would feel about looking at their literal flesh and blood from six centuries ago.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
It said they reburied St Bee's Man's body, but his shrouds are on display at the church so I expect he has decomposed now...which is a shame, because see how much more we learn about the Ice Man on a regular basis. Always a new discovery, even on an old mummy.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
This thread is turning into "cool artifacts" and I'm ok with that.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
If you are ever in Boston, you can go see Gage's skull and tamping iron for free at the Warren Anatomical Museum inside of Harvard Med School's library. There's a number of other interesting creepy things there as well, like Civil War bones with bullets lodged in them.

I went and saw it this past summer, and I was surprised at how nice Gage's teeth were.

Edit: that not very :nms: link up there reminds me of Francis Bacon's portrait of Pope Innocent X, which is worth seeing if you happen to find yourself in Des Moines (also free).

HelloIAmYourHeart has a new favorite as of 01:48 on Oct 3, 2014

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

spinst posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_Delano_Floyd

Dude kidnaps a little girl and raises her as his daughter. All the while sexually abusing her.

They still have no idea who she was before she was kidnapped.

They then get married when she's old enough.

THEN she has a kid, but not with Floyd.

Floyd hits her with a car, she dies. He puts the son in foster care and leaves the state.

Some time later, he returns and abducts the boy from his school. Boy is never seen again. Floyd's sitting on death row.

That picture made me cringe.

It seems Sharon Marshall has finally been identified. She was Suzanne Marie Sevakig, and Floyd was her stepfather: http://www.mattbirkbeck.com/blog/finally

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Avshalom posted:

Anton-Babinski Syndrome is when a patient loses their sight completely, so they're qualifiably blind, but they have no insight into their condition. Due to the nature of the brain injury, they don't realise that they can no longer see and they behave as if they're still fully sighted. ...Many suffer from visual hallucinations that can be quite complex, although they have no other symptoms of psychosis.

The visual hallucinations are sort of a "phantom sight" like how amputees get phantom limbs.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Anybody who is interested in any of this visual loss and neurology stuff should pick up Hallucinations by Oliver Sacks. His other neurology books are good, too, but that one specifically examines visual neurology.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Delivery McGee posted:

Has prosopagnosia been mentioned yet? Oliver Sacks has it, and has written about it in one of his books. Short version: we're hardwired to recognize human faces more than any similarly complex non-face object. In people with prosopagnosia, that ability is broken: an individual human face is no more distinctive than an individual rock. They mostly get by on recognizing voices and memorizing individual features -- this person has this hairstyle, this person has a big nose, etc.

Chuck Close, the portrait artist, has prosopagnosia. Even before he was partially paralyzed in 1988, he divided his pictures into grids and did them just a bit at a time.

Here's an episode of RadioLab where he and Oliver Sacks talk about it: http://www.radiolab.org/story/121383-about-face/

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

MightyJoe36 posted:

Nightmare fuel indeed. I had an anxiety attack when I had to have an MRI. After reading the last few posts I need a drink.

A few months back I had to get an MRI of my neck, and they had me lie down on a plastic brace, which was then screwed into place around my neck to hold me perfectly still. I'm not claustrophobic in an MRI and it only took like 15 minutes, so it didn't bother me.

Now, people who have cancer and need radiation therapy of their head/neck get REALLY strapped down. I'm not sure how well I'd deal with that.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
James Tilly Matthews was the first documented case of paranoid schizophrenia, in 1797. His delusions centered around a device called the Air Loom.

quote:

Matthews believed that a gang of criminals and spies skilled in pneumatic chemistry had taken up residence at London Wall in Moorfields (close to Bethlem) and were tormenting him by means of rays emitted by a machine called the "Air Loom". The torments induced by the rays included "Lobster-cracking", during which the circulation of the blood was prevented by a magnetic field; "Stomach-skinning"; and "Apoplexy-working with the nutmeg grater" which involved the introduction of fluids into the skull. His persecutors bore such names as "the Middleman" (who operated the Air Loom), "the Glove Woman" and "Sir Archy" (who acted as "repeaters" or "active worriers" to enhance Matthews' torment or record the machine's activities) and their leader, a man called "Bill, or the King".

Matthews' delusions had a definite political slant: he claimed that the purpose of this gang was espionage, and that there were many other such gangs armed with Air Looms all over London, using "pneumatic practitioners" to "premagnetize" potential victims with "volatile magnetic fluid". According to Matthews, their chief targets (apart from himself) were leading government figures. By means of their "rays" they could influence ministers' thoughts and read their minds. Matthews declared that William Pitt was "not half" susceptible to these attacks[3] and held that these gangs were responsible for the British military disasters at Buenos Aires in 1807 and Walcheren in 1809 and also for the Nore Mutiny of 1797.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I would love to hear from a third party neurologist on Jahi's condition. Not her mom, not her lawyer, not a doctor who is paid by either one of those two.

Here's another unsettling case of futile medical care:

Marlise Munoz was a pregnant woman in Texas who had a pulmonary embolism in November 2013 and became brain dead. The hospital kept her on life support against her and her husband's wishes due to a Texas law that requires lifesaving measures on pregnant women (even though in this case the fetus was nonviable due to the oxygen deprivation it had suffered when Marlise had stopped breathing). There was a legal battle which resulted in her husband being allowed to remove her life support, as the court determined the law did not apply to people who were already dead. Marlise was removed from life support in January 2014.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

bean_shadow posted:

I've taken friends to see that, it's at the Glore Psychiatric Museum in St. Joseph, Missouri (along with other weird poo poo). They are always fascinated. It's an awesome museum, if you're ever in the KC area (St. Jo is about 45 minutes north from the airport; it's a ways if you're, in say Overland Park, but worth it). Another neat artifacts is of a TV hollowed out and stuffed full of scraps of paper that somebody would write their thoughts out. And various art works by schizophrenics.

Well, guess I know what I'm doing this weekend! I love museums and weird medical stuff and had no idea that something like that was so close to KC. Thanks for the tip!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Thanks! :) It's a fascinating subject and goons are constantly posting with books on subjects/incidents I had never heard of. We're sure to get more traffic in that thread when analysis of the Franklin wreck gets published. Come join us there! :)

If you guys don't know about it, Shackleton's boat journey is (possibly) the single most amazing sea journey ever undertaken - something never done before and - although you get people repeating various Scott/Shackleton/Amundsen ice journeys - no-one would ever try that sea journey again because it would 99.9% suicidal.

In other words, going through the world's roughest seas with ice forming on the bow of a whaling boat using pretty much dead reckoning to hit an island 900 miles away knowing that if you missed the small island that there would be no way of turning around and you would die - that is something special. Oh, then he had to climb an unscaled mountain peak and cross a glacier with no climbing gear to reach a whaling station to save his companions. And he was starving, frozen and partly delirious.

I've seen the James Caird and that fucker is tiny. I teared up when I saw it for real.

But some guys did recreate it in 2013, in a replica ship called the Alexandra Shackleton. They made a documentary about it called Chasing Shackleton which is currently available on Netflix.

Edit: the whole thing seems even more implausible when you see that tiny boat actually on the water, and how miserable the guys in it are.

HelloIAmYourHeart has a new favorite as of 02:10 on Feb 25, 2015

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Centripetal Horse posted:

Thread is currently delivering. More psychopathic island castaways, please.

Island of the Lost (Amazon link to book)

Auckland Island, 1864. 285 miles south of New Zealand, year-round freezing rain, limited vegetation, limited animals to hunt, pretty desolate overall.

On the north end of the island, a ship called the Grafton wrecks. Her crew of five men are stranded with two months of supplies.

quote:

The crew were able to get ashore and managed to salvage food, tools, navigation equipment, Raynal's gun, powder and shot and canvas as well as other material from the wreck. Despite only being provisioned for two months they survived for a year and a half on seal meat, birds, fish and water. They originally made a tent from portions of the spars and sails of the wreck before building a permanent cabin from wreck timber and stone. Raynal had experience in building huts from his time in the goldfields and guided the crew[3] in building a solid cabin with a stone chimney. However it took some time to build as the only available tools were an axe, an adze, a hammer and a gimlet.[4] ...

The men manufactured clothes from sealskin and hunted and fished for food. For entertainment Captain Musgrave started reading classes[5] and Mr Raynal manufactured a chess set, dominoes and a pack of cards. However he found Musgrave to be such a bad loser that he judged it best to destroy the cards.[6]

These guys worked together so well that they were able to teach the illiterate members of their crew to read while they waited for the rescue that wasn't coming, and when they decided they'd have to build their own ship to leave, they built a forge to make tools.

quote:

Captain Musgrave and Raynal had both been hopeful that a ship would be sent by their business partners to investigate what had happened to the Grafton but after 12 months without sighting a single ship the decision was made to use the timbers from the wreck to "make something that will carry us to New Zealand".[7] The crew used the tools they had salvaged from the wreck and Mr Raynal created a pair of blacksmith's bellows from metal from the wreck, wood and sealskin.[8] He used the bellows to forge more tools from metal from the wreck. The castaways had made progress on sections of the proposed vessel but were unable to complete it as Mr Raynal found it impossible to manufacture an auger despite a number of attempts

Three crew members spent five days at sea in their tiny improvised boat, and after they reached their destination they got a ship, the Flying Scud, to go back to Auckland Island to pick up the remaining two, and all were rescued.

Meanwhile, at the other end of Auckland Island, four moths into the Grafton's crew's stay on the island, another ship wrecked. The Invercauld had a crew of 25 and 19 survived the wreck. Unlike the Grafton's crew, they did not work together and adopted an "every man for himself" strategy, often splitting up into small groups that came to a bad end.

quote:

The crew had enough timber to build a rough hut and, as one of the crew had matches, a fire was able to be lit. After four days of inactivity there were no remaining provisions and three men climbed the cliffs in search of food. The climb was very difficult as the cliffs were at least 200 ft high and rocky under foot. Eventually the entire group of survivors, save one ill man and a caretaker, climbed the cliffs. The original group of three had caught a pig, which they brought back to the group. The smell of the roasting pig, called to the caretaker, who left the gravely ill man to die alone on the beach.

Several months of bad decisions, bad weather, and bad hunting pass. The survivors dwindle to 3, but finally they are rescued.

quote:

On 20 May 1865, the Portuguese ship Julian entered the harbour. The ship had sprung a leak and sent a boat to shore in the hopes of obtaining repairs. The three survivors were taken aboard the Julian and safely transported to Callao. The Julian didn't search for other castaways – possibly because the ship was taking on water and needed to get to harbor for repairs

When the crew of the Grafton returned to Auckland Island to pick up the two who had stayed behind, they took a lap around the island looking for other possible castaways. They found a camp left by the crew of the Invercauld:

quote:

When the Flying Scud visited Erebus Cove the crew found the body of a man lying beside the ruins of a house. The man had been dead for some time. The house was one of the Enderby Settlement buildings and the corpse was the 2nd mate of the Invercauld, James Mahoney. One foot was bound with woollen rags. Mahoney, who had an injured leg, had starved after being abandoned by the captain.

It's a pretty interesting case study on best case/worst case scenarios.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

DemonDarkhorse posted:

Read these two if you're at all interested in people surviving after getting hosed by a mountain

The aforementioned Beck Weathers, Left for Dead: http://www.amazon.com/Left-Dead-Journey-Home-Everest/dp/0440237084
Touching the Void: http://www.amazon.com/Touching-Void-Story-Miraculous-Survival/dp/0060730552

Touching the Void was also made into a really, really good documentary. Basically a movie with the narration coming from the climbers themselves. You know the guy lives, he's right there telling his story, but while it's happening you're like :ohdear:. It might still be on Netflix.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
The Lady Be Good and the Flannan Isles are both episodes of the Futility Closet podcast (episodes 41 and 15, respectively) if you'd like more info in audio form. Greg Ross does his own research from primary and secondary sources, so there's usually something in his shows that I haven't heard before, even on topics I've read about.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

PresidentBeard posted:

I'm reading a book on this. From the sounds it prairie madness was mostly poorly diagnosed PTSD. The causes usually being animal attacks on households, children dying, untreated depression, or periods of winter starvation.

What's the name of the book?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

A good podcast with an episode about this is Futility Closet. They read some excerpts from the diaries/logs the men kept, which is pretty horrifying.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Nckdictator posted:

91m tall pyramid for London's Trafalgar Square (1815)

You neglect to mention that this was supposed to be a giant mausoleum.

quote:

Church yards were so crowded at the beginning of the 19th century that corpses were literally bursting out of the soil. Some people believed that a necropolis for the dead might be the answer. In 1829 the architect Thomas Willson came up with a proposal for the storage of millions of dead bodies in a pyramid situated in Primrose Hill, North London, one of the highest places in London. Constructed from brick with granite facings, it would have been 94 storeys high and the base would have covered 18 acres. In his prospectus, Willson claimed that the mausoleum would have made about £10,000,000 – an enormous amount in those days. He hoped that people would enjoy looking up at this splendid monument as they ate their picnics.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

ConcreteDachshund posted:

Jesus. Though I imagine that's not uncommon in plane crashes on land.

I read a book by a woman who was a medical examiner in New York (Working Stiff by Judy Melinek) during 9/11. Her task immediately after the towers fell was to help identify the bodies (no cause of death needed, everyone knew what had happened). Out of all the things I read and seen about 9/11, that section of the book was the most evocative of how outside the realm of normal the whole thing was.

The medical examiners and coroners and pretty much everyone who worked with dead bodies in New York gathered in big tents with huge refrigerated trucks outside. Every body part was examined and numbered and anything that could be used to identify them was logged--hair color, tattoos, any medical implants like pacemakers or artificial hips, pieces of office supplies that had been driven into their flesh. The part that made me have to put the book down was her description of a man's torso, missing the limbs and head and kind of battered but otherwise intact. They x-rayed it to see if he had a pacemaker or anything, but instead found a woman's hand, complete with wedding ring, that had somehow been lodged in his ribcage. That's how chaotic and powerful and awful it was, and nothing else drove it home for me like that.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

ranbo das posted:

Another good example is the Lusitania. The Germans found out that the ship was going to be used to smuggle weapons and such to the British, which was against maritime law (we had been doing this for a while, they just hadn't really caught us yet). Germany went as far as to take out an ad in the paper warning people not to travel on the Lusitania. Unsurprisingly, it gets torpedoed, which causes a huge outcry because those evil germans are breaking the rules of war (conveniently ignoring the fact they broke them because we were breaking them).

Erik Larsen just put out a pretty good book about the Lusitania called Dead Wake that goes into a lot of detail about the people on the ship and the commander of the submarine, and then a bunch of horror stories about what happened as it sank. Worst one for me was probably a second hand report that one of the survivors saw a pregnant woman giving birth in the freezing cold water after the ship went down.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Futility Closet does some unsolved mysteries and events, although their usual fare is "a collection of entertaining curiosities in history, literature, language, art, philosophy, and mathematics, designed to help you waste time as enjoyably as possible" so most of the episodes aren't too mysterious. I like that Greg Ross doesn't try to solve the mysteries or anything, just presents the facts and concludes with "If anyone can make any sense of this, please write in and let me know."

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

YF-23 posted:

From the relevant articles list at the bottom of that, meet S.M., the woman that cannot experience fear:

I am not sure how you can experience more empathy if you are biologically incapable of experiencing their fear and anxiety (and so relating to them), but regardless being unable to experience the full spectrum of emotion sounds incredibly sad.

S.M. got interviewed on the Invisibilia podcast, if you want to hear her talk. She has a weird voice, too, kind of scratchy and whispery, but she sounds so drat earnest and wide-eyed about everything. http://www.npr.org/programs/invisibilia/377515477/fearless?showDate=2015-01-16

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

A Pinball Wizard posted:

You may be experiencing hypnagogia, a fancy term for the place between sleep and awake.

For some reason, ever since I was little, when I am really tired and closed my eyes I see a green grid with orange and green balls falling through it. I have no idea why or how it started. It just happens and I think "oh, I'd better get to bed soon."

Anybody who is interested in this sort of thing should read Hallucinations by Oliver Sacks. He gives a lot of examples of hallucinations and goes into the science behind them in quite a bit of detail. http://www.amazon.com/Hallucination...=hallucinations

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

cptn_dr posted:

Not sure if it's been posted in this thread or not, but I dug this article up for a friend today and thought it would be right up the thread's alley.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/myths-over-miami-6393117

A look at the semi-religious folklore of homeless kids in Miami back in the nineties.

It wasn't just homeless kids who were terrified of Bloody Mary in the mid 90s. I'd forgotten all about that. If you stood in a dark room with a mirror in it and said her name three times, she'd appear and pull you through the mirror with her.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Unfortunately for Mawson, during the second winter he had to spend in Antarctica, the wireless operator, Sidney Jeffreys, began suffering from some kind of pyschosis, so even then his troubles were not over. From Wikipedia:

quote:

The expedition leader at first admired Jeffryes's assiduity with earphones and Morse-code key, but grew increasingly guarded in his praise. In Mawson's words, Jeffryes "applied himself to work with enthusiasm and perhaps an over-conscientious spirit."[2] Climate conditions outside the hut made winter outdoor exercise impossible, leading to cabin fever.

In July 1913, as Antarctica neared midwinter, wireless operator Jeffryes began to present symptoms of paranoia to his fellow shore-party winter explorers, none of whom knew how to receive or transmit messages in Morse code.[3] Expedition leader Mawson began to encourage another expedition member, airman Frank Bickerton, to learn Morse code as quickly as possible.[1][3] Jeffryes's condition waxed and waned; for some weeks his comrades believed he was recovering, but in September of the same year the radioman experienced a psychotic break and began transmitting a message, through Macquarie Island, to Australia. Declaring himself to be the only sane man on the expedition, Jeffryes accused all of his comrades of having joined a criminal conspiracy to murder him. Mawson thereupon relieved Jeffryes of his duties.[1][3]

For a full account of Mawson's trials in Antarctica, I recommend "Alone on the Ice: The Greatest Survival Story in the History of Exploration" by David Roberts.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Sarcopenia posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linda_Hazzard

Ironically named, non-doctor woman starves wealthy patients to death. Poetic justic ensues.

Starvation Heights is a book about her sanitarium, specifically the experiences of the Williamson sisters. It gets pretty gruesome and is a very good case for licensing medical professionals.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Danger posted:

This was just in the news again which of course recalls (and is mentioned in the story) the famous Pulitzer Prize winning Washington Post article about the same subject: https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...2a52_story.html

That loving article, out of all the things I've read/seen online, is what keeps me up the most when I think about it. It's something that I never ever want to think about but feel like I must constantly.

Y'all can post all the horrible murders and disasters you want, but it's these mundane tragedies that scare me the most, I think. On more than one occasion, forgetfulness and miscommunication between my parents resulted in me or my brother getting left somewhere and neither one of them came to pick us up. It's only a small step from that to dying in a car.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

queserasera posted:

Foster child in Florida goes missing, authorities don't bother to check up on it until two years after her disappearance: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rilya_Wilson

I remember hearing about Rilya some 15 years ago when she was one of the possible identities for Precious Doe (another sad story. The facial reconstruction pictures of her were posted in my school bus for a long time. It was a relief to finally know who she was, this little girl that I saw every day). Her name is an acronym for "Remember I Love You Always" :smith:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Was someone in this thread looking for the reconstructed image of the woman with her hand over her face? I found her on the "identified" page of the Doe Network. She was identified as Cheryl Bowman, but I can't find any other information.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I think she had been beaten and the upper half of her face was unrecognizable, but she had perfect teeth and distinctive jewelry.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

du -hast posted:

caves and getting stuck in them

Floyd Collins is the original "stuck in a cave" story. Imagine 127 Hours, only underground in a very very small space, and surrounded by a media circus.

quote:

On January 30, 1925, after several hours of work, Collins managed to squeeze through several narrow passageways; he claimed he had discovered a large chamber, though this was never verified. Because his lamp was dying, he had to leave quickly before exploring the chamber. He became trapped in a small passage on his way out. He accidentally knocked over his lamp, putting out the light, and in the dark he dislodged a rock from the ceiling, pinning his left leg. The rock weighed only 16 pounds (7.2 kg), but it was wedged in where neither he nor rescuers could reach it.

Collins was trapped just 150 feet (50 m) from the entrance. After being found the next day by friends, crackers were taken to him, and an electric light was run down the passage to provide him light and some warmth. Collins survived for over a week while rescue efforts were made. On February 4, the cave passage used to reach Collins collapsed in two places. Rescue leaders, chief among them being Henry St. George Tucker Carmichael, believing the cave impassable and too dangerous, began to dig a shaft to reach the chamber behind Collins. The 55-foot (18 m) shaft and subsequent lateral tunnel intersected the cave just above Collins, but when he was finally reached on February 17, he was already dead from exposure. Because he could not be reached from behind, the rescuers could not free his leg. They left his body in place and filled the shaft with debris. A doctor estimated he had died three or four days before he was reached, with February 13 the most likely date.

The whole thing was reported more or less in real time, as a reporter was able to climb down into the cave to speak directly to Floyd until cave-ins made it impossible to reach him.

A few months after his death, Floyd's brother retrieved his body and buried it on their farm. After the farm was sold, the new owner exhumed Floyd and displayed him in a glass coffin. His body was stolen and when it was recovered the left leg had been removed. He was not properly laid to rest until 1989.

The Futility Closet podcast just did an episode on Floyd that goes into the media and rescue efforts in a lot more detail, along with a bunch of links to their sources.

HelloIAmYourHeart has a new favorite as of 18:34 on Jul 10, 2016

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

That drat Satyr posted:

Things like King Tut et all aren't what they used for the paint (though I'm certain some really important historical artifacts were destroyed for it, possibly even royalty.).

A lot of important historical artifacts were destroyed with the mummies of common people and animals (Egypt had a whole industry of raising cats, dogs, birds, crocodiles specifically to sacrifice and mummify them). These mummies were wrapped in old rags, while rich peoples' mummies were wrapped in brand new linens. The old rags included clothing and linen books that were preserved along with the mummies. A mummy bought in Alexandria in 1848 and brought to Poland was discovered to have a bunch of writing on her linen wrapping that turned out to be the longest piece of Etruscan text ever found.

How many similar texts were ground up for paint or burned in a furnace? Millions, probably.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

WickedHate posted:

I don't know if grave robbing for historical knowledge is really all that better, honestly.

Human bodies, I agree, but I have no problem with unwrapping mass-produced animal mummies.

Edit: I also have no problem with studying a body and then putting everything back together, especially if said body is several thousand years old and no living people have any real claim to it.

HelloIAmYourHeart has a new favorite as of 14:19 on Sep 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Jack Gladney posted:

She must have been able to keep things together for a long time, as she leveraged community college grades into admission and graduation from a business administration program and had a regular career afterward.

Going to all the trouble of creating a new identity seems weird for escaping a bad family. I'd imagine the abuse must have been terrible for her to do that, if it was abuse. The parents just letting her go and never looking for her points to a really hosed up family dynamic too. Did her sisters not have anything to say about their childhood?

Not just a new identity, but moving completely across the continent, changing her name multiple times, and getting plastic surgeries.

As for her mom letting her go and not looking for her...she moved out, was 18, and explicitly said she didn't want a relationship anymore, and to not contact her. That's pretty unambiguous.