Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

MightyJoe36 posted:

Every time I hear a story about an American being held captive/jailed in North Korea, the first thing that pops into my head is "Why would somebody willingly go to North Korea?"

Sports Illustrated did an oral history a few years back on a pro wrestling excursion to North Korea in 1995 that had Muhammed Ali as a special guest. No one was quite sure what to expect and all of them were quite happy to get back to Japan.

"Sports Illustrated posted:

Bischoff: Almost immediately, they separated us into groups of two and assigned each of us a handler, or 'minder' as they called it. And that person’s job—ours was a woman and she was a member of the North Korean version of the secret service or CIA—was to basically chaperone us 24/7 and make sure that we didn’t do anything wrong. She was also there to educate us, or indoctrinate us as the case may be. And the first thing she did was ask for our passports, which was their way of saying, We control you. What good is a passport in North Korea? It’s not like you were gonna run to the embassy with it. You can’t jump on an airline and get out of the country. It’s a worthless piece of paper once you land on their soil in terms of its ability to help you. But the idea that they would say ‘give it to us,’ and you had to give it up, kind of made the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I may have posted this before. Regardless, it's quite good and about a black family and the law in the 1950s south: Hattie Brazier stands up

quote:

When he was brought into the prison, James Brazier had been wearing his Sunday suit, a white shirt, and dress shoes. Dr. Charles Ward, who was called to the jail to look at him, observed that James had head wounds, slurred speech, and, once again, blood in his ear — all symptoms of a serious head injury. Ward, a white man who was also the County Medical Examiner, interpreted the slurred speech as intoxication. He recommended the police officers place Brazier somewhere quiet, so the officers transferred him from the male side of the prison to the female side.

Later that night, according to other inmates who were inside the jail then, Cherry, McDonald, and other officers led James Brazier out of his cell. When they returned him hours later, he was incoherent, bloody, and naked, wrapped in an army blanket. After daybreak, when he was expected to make an appearance at Mayor’s Court and enter a plea for resisting arrest, a nearly comatose James Brazier had to be carried out of his cell.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Literally Kermit posted:

Hello friends, let's talk, once again, about
:ghost::ghost:GHOST FLIGHTS:ghost::ghost:

Ghost flights!

Payne Stewart was not the only major name in sports to die in a hypoxia-related crash. LSU's head football coach died in what was likely a hypoxia accident. That one doesn't get talked about much now.

Bo Rein was hired after the 1979 college football season to become LSU's new football coach. Rein had been at North Carolina State, where he produced three straight winning seasons and had two bowl appearances in the days that not every college football team went to a bowl.

Rein was taking a recruiting trip in January 1980, flying only from Shreveport to Baton Rouge. The flight was scheduled to go just an hour, but the plane ran into bad weather and the pilot went east to avoid the system.

That was the last anyone heard from the plane.

Authorities were able to keep tracking it and it was spotted in North Carolina, more than 1,000 miles off course. The Air National Guard was able to fly next to it, but saw no one in the cabin. The ultimately crashed into the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Virginia and the bodies were never recovered.

Times-Picayune posted:

Rein wanted he and Williams to fly up to Shreveport and back. [LSU assistant coach Greg] Willlams convinced Rein to drive together to Shreveport because the south Louisiana January fog would delay their departure and put them behind schedule.

Since Rein had to visit running back prospect Paul Ott Carruth early the next morning in Mississippi, the plan was for Rein to fly home at the end of the recruiting day in Shreveport while Williams would continue to recruit his assigned area.

"It really didn't hit me until several months later that I could have been on the plane if I would have agreed to Bo's plans," Williams said.

Times-Picayune posted:

couple of hours before sunrise, Williams was awakened by a phone call.

"It was the Shreveport police telling me to call Darrell Moody (another LSU assistant) at the football office," Williams recalled. "I didn't think it was 4 in the morning. I thought it was more like 1, so I called down there.

"Moody answers and the first thing he says to me is, 'Who was on the plane?' I said, 'The pilot and Bo. Darrell, what are you talking about?' He said, "Well, the plane crashed in the Atlantic Ocean.'

"I'm in Shreveport, Louisiana saying, 'The Atlantic Ocean? They were headed back to Baton Rouge. What the hell?' Then he told me Bo was dead.

"I hung up and I didn't know what to do. I knew my Dad lives on the East Coast. He gets up early and I knew he would be listening to the radio and watching TV. So I called him, woke him, and told him I wasn't on the plane.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Paranoid schizophrenia is kind of a sad, scary thing.

Good thing that it 'only' affects about 1% of the population and receives disproportionately low research funding!

A mildly interesting detail about schizophrenia that not everyone knows is that it is linked, in some weird poorly-understood way, with the use of mind-altering recreational drugs, particularly marijuana. People predisposed to schizophrenia appear to be more likely to be pot smokers, and the onset of full-blown schizophrenic thought patterns has a positive correlation with one's first high. That means that a not-insignificant number of people in the world have turned to weed for relief from stress only to suddenly earnestly believe they're surrounded by conspiracies, gang-stalkers, and hidden forces acting against them. With proper treatment, schizophrenia actually tends to respond pretty well to the wide range of anti-psychotic medicines available, but first you have to convince someone who usually believes the world is out to get to them to take mind-altering medication designed to make that illusion go away. If a schizophrenic breaks the law due to these beliefs and harms someone, a court may mandate psychiatric treatment, but until that point, basically no one can compel treatment anywhere I'm aware of (that's a good thing overall, although California in specific does have an especially weird law where a police officer with no psychiatric training can involuntarily commit someone based purely on a statement of what the officer thinks that person's diagnosis is).

Herbert Mullin a serial killer who claimed he killed to prevent earthquakes.

Also, Brian Wilson (diagnosed schizoaffective) links his first LSD trip as to when he first heard voices.

Which may or may not be. Wilson's memory is shockingly good, but he's always had a tendency to fit his stories to whoever's asking. If WIlson thought an interviewer would be pleased if he said he was really creative with the sandbox under the piano, he'd say just that.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Currently reading a multi-part piece How Does a 10-Year-Old Boy End Up Hanging to Death?

A 10-year-old boy in a custody battle in 1989 is found hanged in his father's shed. It's hastily ruled a suicide. His father, a sheriff's deputy, had been accused of but never charged with child abuse.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Watching trashy TV has led to looking up articles about the Kirtland Cult Killings.

LDS members upset at the church's modernization begin to hover around Jeff Lundgren, a Mormon with quite a gift for speaking and a belief in more traditional aspects of the religion. Lundgren's fellowship grows and he opts to move them to Kirtland, Ohio, because Joseph Smith had a church there.

He gets into a rift with the temple in Kirtland and the group splinters to their own farm. Lundgren's ideas are getting a bit more extreme as he commands everyone to treat him like a prophet. In the meantime, a family of Lundgren's original followers had been reticent to join him, but finally agree to do so. Lundgren gets the cult to lightly shun them, even though the Avery family is completely devoted.

As control tightens, he makes members of the cult turn over their money. Lundgren uses this to buy a lot of weapons as a holy war is coming any day. He also begins taking additional wives, ones already married to cult members.

The Averys are still shunned and Lundgren tells the other members that there is sin in the cult and it must be cast out. The Averys are the sinners as the wife is more dominant in the relationship. On the eve of the cult leaving Ohio for a more remote location, they invite the Avery family over (who were invited to go along). The invite was a ruse. Lundgren gets the members to bring each Avery family member to the barn, where he murders them one by one, parents and three small children.

The group does leave, but someone with a slight bit of conscience spills the beans. Authorities had gotten a report the Averys were missing, but thought they left with the group. Then they begin excavating the barn after the tip.

Lundgren's caught and quickly convicted. He gave a five-hour sermon during his trial about how he was justified in the murders.

Edit: That link doesn't really get into many of the details. Here are some others

Kirtland Cult Killings were 'mandated by God'
Cult members break their silence
Surprisingly decent contemporary People article

RC and Moon Pie has a new favorite as of 03:25 on Sep 26, 2017

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

MightyJoe36 posted:

Great read. Talk about a twist ending though.

Yeah, that's not what I was anticipating.

Tremendous read. Not just about an utter evil human being, but about the mind of someone who bought into him so thoroughly and took so long to realize how awful he really was.

This stood out, though:

quote:

She began wearing a wig, living and working out of hotels, checking in under the names of her assistants. In a request for a restraining order, her lawyer laid out John Meehan’s long, ugly history. How the Indiana nursing board had yanked his license and called him “a clear and immediate danger to the public.”

How he’d jumped out of a moving ambulance in Michigan. How he’d swindled multiple women and done prison time and been slapped with restraining orders. How Laguna Beach police, who had also asked for a restraining order against him, had found cyanide capsules in his belongings.

An Orange County judge decided there was no immediate threat to Debra’s safety. Her husband lived in another state; he had never physically harmed her.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Ariong posted:

Funeral home horrors put spotlight on spotty US regulations

This article is a bit flowery at the beginning, but wow. I guess I never thought about what happens when a funeral home runs out of cash. No pictures of bodies, descriptions aren’t especially graphic. Highlight:

I thought I was about to get a story on the Tri-State Crematory case, but this is something much different.

And on the other hand, the Tri-State Crematory case, where the owner of the crematory, for reasons unknown, stopped cremating. The equipment was found to be in working order. Bodies were hidden in the woods around the property.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Whatev posted:

What are some good examples of heinous motherfuckers whose horrible crimes weren't revealed until after their death? Got on this train of thought from Jimmy Savile.

Belle Gunness.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Look! Articles! Potentially unnerving articles!

The Girl Who Survived a Brain-Eating Amoeba.

The Day Treva Throneberry Disappeared

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Note to self: Stay away from Missouri's justice system.

The unimaginable, infamous case of Pam Hupp

quote:

St. Louisans squinted at their TV screens, trying to fathom this blond woman, her square jaw set hard, her face impassive. This was the same woman who’d testified three years earlier in a murder trial after her friend was stabbed 55 times. The friend’s husband was convicted and later acquitted. In the meantime, Hupp’s mother had died in a suspicious fall from a third-floor balcony.

The only possible motive connecting all three cases was money. Hupp, who’d held several jobs in the insurance industry, was the beneficiary of both her friend’s and mother’s policies. But would somebody really stab a sick friend and shove her own mother off a balcony to get cash she’d receive in a few years anyway, then shoot a perfect stranger just to twist the plot?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I don't know how widespread the practice is, but in the county where I'm originally from, if the sheriff gets in trouble, the coroner becomes sheriff.

In the past 25 years, three sheriffs have been involved in crimes and were removed from the post. Yep, the coroner has become sheriff all three times. Thankfully, special elections were quickly set up get a new sheriff in charge.

For the curious, the sheriff troubles have been: a) embezzlement, b) being a doofus by giving guns back to criminals after they're released from prison sentences and c) brutality. In the case of c) deputies roughed up a suspect. The sheriff was so legitimately proud of "how we do it here in [shithole] county," he showed the tape at a sheriff's convention. Even they were disgusted by it.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

business hammocks posted:

I’d like to imagine anyone approached for a threesome would take one look at the dude’s haircut and just bolt.

When I look at him, all I can see is Phil Spector.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The last documented slave ship, the Clotilda has likely been found.

The Atlantic slave trade was banned in 1808. Of course, it didn't end it.

The Clotilda went to Africa in 1860 and returned to Alabama with 100+ human beings.

The reason for the human trafficking? It's arguably even worse than even normal slavery.

They went to Africa on a bet, just to see if they could get away with it.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Through the Wikipedia rabbit hole, I found of list of U.S. congressmen who died in office.

There are a handful of suicides, but this might be one of the more baffling ones.

Douglas Hemphill Elliott (R-Pennsylvania) was serving in the Pennsylvania State Senate in 1960 when he won a special election to fill the House seat of Richard Simpson, who had died in office. Elliott was elected April 26, 1960 and sworn in May 7. On June 19, 1960, he was found dead in his garage. A deerskin was draped over his head, as well as over the exhaust pipe of his car.

The death was ruled a suicide. Another article said a razor blade and two .30-caliber rifle bullets were found on his person.

Everyone interviewed for articles was shocked. Elliott had not missed a House vote since being elected and had apparently told Reverend Billy Graham he intended to be there every night of Graham's crusade in Washington D.C. that week. He attended a wedding the night before. As far as I can tell, no one ever offered a reason that might have led to Elliott's death. Dude must have been pretty tortured.

EDIT: Completely unrelated to Elliott, two more congressmen who died in office, Nick Begich and Hale Boggs, presumably died in an airplane crash in Alaska in 1972. The plane and bodies were never found..

Begich's widow married a man who claimed he bombed the plane.

RC and Moon Pie has a new favorite as of 22:59 on Mar 19, 2018

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Stories about fugue states often cite Hannah Upp, who disappeared for a few days in New York in 2008. Upp had another disappearance, albeit briefer a few years later.

Last year, she went missing again. She hasn't been found.

quote:

Barbara said that after each fugue she felt a kind of “awe at where Hannah had been.” The ancient Greeks had two words for time: kronos, chronological time, and kairos, which is often translated as “the right time” and cannot be measured. Barbara said, “I imagined her as having entered more fully into kairos—the appointed time, the fullness of time. There’s a suspension of certainty.”

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

There's a real Poisonwood Bible vibe from the dad, who refuses to think there might be any connection with her visits to him and the fugue states. Beyond his other really strange beliefs.

Though it didn't happen every year, all three have happened just before school starting.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

They've linked the East Area Rapist/Original Night Stalker, to a series of robberies in the years before the rapes started. There are more clues to his identity in those files, though of course no one ever caught the burglar.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

It sounds similar to the Kendrick Johnson case, which has been mentioned a few times before. (The link is possibly :nms: as you can see a bit of Johnson's body.)

The most likely scenario with Johnson is that he, like others in Lowndes High gym classes, stuck his shoes on top or just inside of a rolled up wrestling mat (the mat standing vertically). The shoes fell inside and Johnson climbed atop the mat and then in the center of it to retrieve the shoes. Johnson became stuck and asphyxiated.

The case has unfortunately turned into a big-time mess. The police were likely incompetent in their early handling of it and Johnson's family came to believe their son was actually murdered. They've brought numerous lawsuits and several times over the past five years have protested at the courthouse and various other locations. It's completely understandable their grief, but every nearly every accusation they've had has been proven to be incorrect. It's an awful situation that may not ever totally fade away. Hopefully, they'll eventually find some peace.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Related, No Accident, Inside GM's Deadly Ignition Switch Scandal.

quote:

In the months that followed, Beth and Ken both sought refuge in different ways: Beth through her faith and therapy, Ken through poring over every detail of the accident and the days leading up to it. A week before she was killed, Brooke had called him to say something strange was going on with her car. Sometimes it would simply shut off while she was driving it, and she’d have to pull over to the side and restart it. Get it serviced, Ken told her. The weekend before the accident, she dropped off the car at Thornton Chevrolet in Lithia Springs. The mechanic cleaned her fuel injectors, changed her oil, replaced her fuel filter. All fixed, she later told Ken over the phone.

Now Ken spent evenings scrolling through online discussion boards. Other drivers had reported problems with the Cobalt—problems similar to the one Brooke had complained about. On one forum, a father posted that he refused to let his daughter drive her Cobalt after it stalled. Ken even found testimonials from people like him, family members who had lost a loved one in a crash involving a Cobalt. With each new revelation, he grew more angry. His behavior worried Beth, who believed the accident simply happened. He’d call her over to share new bits of information, compounding her own grief. She pleaded with him to stop. Ken wanted General Motors, the manufacturer of the Cobalt, to examine the wreckage. It took months, but finally GM scheduled an inspection for February 2011, almost a year after Brooke’s death. Ken wasn’t the only party interested in the findings; a lawyer for the driver of the Focus wanted to know, too. Ken and Beth realized they needed their own attorney. Their insurance adjuster gave them a name—Lance Cooper.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

I can buy American POWs from the Korean and Vietnam wars being sent to the USSR, but what's the excuse for the ones taken during WW2? Says 500 kept as "bargaining chips" but in what context? Only thing I can think of is that they were prisoners of the Germans kept by the Soviets for some reason after they captured the prison camps. But then they're not really bargaining chips if you don't do anything with them.

When Stalag Luft I was liberated (by the Russians), there was briefly the idea that the POWs would be released through Odessa.

This has been linked before - everything has, I think - but in 1995 New Japan Wrestling decided to hold a wrestling card in Pyongyang, with a number of familiar Japanese, American and Canadian wrestlers. And Muhammad Ali.

The experience, in short, was bizarre. All of them were quite happy to get back to Japan. The two-day show was filmed and edited down for a pay-per-view shown by WCW later that year, Collision in Korea.

RC and Moon Pie has a new favorite as of 15:10 on Apr 16, 2018

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Goon Danton posted:

Mr. Cruel also popped up more or less exactly when the Golden State Killer went quiet. I'd be interested to see if the suspect they have in custody moved to Australia for a while, at least.

No.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Andrew Lambert's Franklin: Tragic Hero of Polar Navigation is excellent.

I'll throw in a suggestion for Glyn Williams' Arctic Labyrinth, which is also broad in what it covers, but some of the early expeditions of guys like Hudson, Ross and Frobisher weren't picnics, either.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The murder of Mickey Bryan, a quiet fourth-grade teacher, stunned her small Texas town. Then her husband, a beloved high school principal, was charged with killing her. Did he do it, or had there been a terrible mistake?

This is part I. Part II has not been posted yet.

quote:

“Most people felt he was probably guilty, because he’d been convicted, even if no one was real sure why he’d done it,” Richard Liardon, the former superintendent, told me. Many of Joe’s former colleagues and friends had distanced themselves from him since the trial, though privately, some still struggled to reconcile the man they knew with the person the prosecution had portrayed him to be. “It was very hard for me to believe Joe had taken Mickey’s life,” Cindy Horn, the former teacher’s aide, told me. Yet like most people in Clifton, she held the criminal-justice system in high regard. The widely held assumption was that law enforcement and the courts always got it right. “I based what I thought on the verdict,” Horn said. “I assumed Joe was guilty because he was found guilty.”

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Here's one I read about today:

Zanzibar Revolution and accompanying genocide

Zanzibar is an island off the East African coast, which for centuries was ruled by Arab traders out of Oman. By the mid-1900s, Zanzibar was a British colony ruled by an Arab sultan, and in the process of gov't approved decolonizing.

Zanzibar was about 80% mainland Africans, and about 20% Arabs and South Indians (brought over by the British Empire). In the democratic government which was stood up during preparations for independence, due to gerrymandering and political maneuvering, the Arab/Indian party had about half the seats in the parliament, despite being far in the minority. A lot of the wealthy upper class of Zanzibar was Arabs and Indians, and they held a lot of government jobs, and recently the entire police force had been purged of Africans, leaving Arabs in charge of all security.

An unlikely catalyst showed up: John Okello. Okello was an unlikely populist leader, since he was Ugandan, spoke Swahili with a strong accent, and was a Christian in a 99% Muslim country. But somehow he managed to gain hundreds of revolutionary followers, and in 1964 he and his team attacked a police station. His men only had machetes and clubs, and lost a number of men to gunfire from the armed police, but after they seized the station they looted its substantial armory and distributed a large number of rifles and machineguns to the insurgents.

Okello took over a radio station, and beamed out a message (referring to himself just as the "Field Marshall") calling on the Africans to rise up and slaughter the Arabs and Indians. His forces then moved on to the major cities, taking over more police stations and acquiring more weapons. African mobs moved through the cities, seizing Arab men and decapitating them in the street, and gang-raping women and children. Thousands of Arabs were rounded up for mass executions, and hundreds of others ran for the beach in an attempt to catch a boat out, but the low tide left many boats stranded, and hundreds died on the shore.

Okello was smart, and instructed his followers not to kill any whites, since he didn't want the UK or the US feeling compelled to get involved, so all the whites were allowed to take shelter in the English Club and then to embark on a waiting British ship. The Brits prepared some military units aboard ships in the region in case any British interests were threatened, but they were facing mutinies and insurgencies in other British East African colonies, and ultimately decided to just let Zanzibar work out its own issues.

The Sultan fled into exile aboard his yacht, a new African-representing government was formed, and ultimately Zanzibar united with mainland Tangayika and became Tanzania.

There would have been zero evidence of this massacre, as the insurgents and victims didn't stop to take any photos, and the four American journalists on the island had been arrested, except for one utter coincidence. An Italian documentary team was on the island filming footage for Africa Addio, an exploitative "shockumentary" detailing the fall of white rule in Africa. They just happened to be at the right place at the right time to catch some footage that was genuinely brutal, as they flew in their helicopter around the island catching images of Arabs herded into enclosures, other enclosures with piles of dead bodies and pools of blood, mass graves, and beaches littered with corpses.

There's a wide range of estimates as to how many Arabs and Indians were massacred, from 200 to 20,000. The low end seems way low, since I think in the helicopter footage alone you can find well over 200 corpses.

The footage isn't directly graphic since it's filmed from the air, but I'll NWS it since it does show a lot of bodies filmed from above, as well as insurgent death squads with rifles surrounding them (many of whom take off running to avoid being filmed). Here's the footage:

:nws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkGD-YRz4g4 :nws:

On YouTube there are other cuts of the footage, including a jeep of insurgents bailing out to fire at the helicopter, and long lines of Arabs being herded to detention sites, and some clips with the voiceover from the film, so I just picked a clip that's reasonably clear, and doesn't have annoying music.

The Zanzibar Revolution brought Freddie Mercury to England. His father, Bomi, a native of India, had gone to Zanzibar through his position with the British government. Mercury had gone to school in India, but seems to have been in Zanzibar at the time of revolution. His family left the island in the spring of 1964 and were able to settle in England because of his father's job.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Gen. Ripper posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billups_Neon_Crossing_Signal

One of the world's first railroad crossing signals. I'll let Wikipedia do the summarizing:

"Stop - DEATH - Stop" :black101:

You didn't include the simulation video (warning: includes very loud siren)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGhFHKtDhns

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

For those who recall the Georgia teen who died in a rolled up wrestling mat a few years ago, the family has received permission to exhume the body. This will be the third autopsy.

I want to shake the person(s) giving them advice. It was an awful tragedy, but someone keeps fueling the parents into thinking there is some vast conspiracy that involves the school, law enforcement and a ton of other people. They accused a classmate of murder, despite there being zero evidence.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The saga of the Floyd Collins cave rescue.

Collins, one of the few experienced cavers in Kentucky in 1925, got caught 60 feet underground when a rock pinned his leg at Sand Cave. The rescue attempts turned into national news and a local circus.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Beverly Hills Supper Club was a massive country club and entertainment facility just south of Cincinnati in Kentucky. It hosted a lot of acts, from comedians to musicians.

On May 28, 1977, there were as many as 3,000 in the club, possibly up to 1,300 in the Cabaret Room, where John Davidson was set to perform.

Then the fire was noticed at 9 p.m.

Wikipedia posted:

Near the south exit close to the main bar, opposite end of the building from the Cabaret Room,[7] a wedding reception drew to a close around 8:30 p.m. in the Zebra Room, near the building's main entrance; some of its guests had complained of the room being excessively warm with loud explosions from beneath the floor, and the group left the building before the end of their allotted time.[11] The room remained vacant from their departure until a minute before 9 p.m., when an employee smelled smoke and opened the Zebra Room's door to confirm the presence of smoke. She asked another employee to call the Fire Department while she and others grabbed any available fire extinguishers and began trying to fight the flames. Though the employees were not aware of it, their opening of the Zebra Room's door allowed enough oxygen into the room to cause what had been a smoldering fire in the room's drop ceiling to flashover and begin to spread rapidly. It quickly became clear that fire extinguishers were useless against the fast-growing blaze.[9] The Fire Department was alerted to the fire at 9:01 p.m. and arrived by 9:05;[11] as they approached, firefighters on the first emergency vehicles could already see smoke coming from the building.[8]

As smoke began to escape the Zebra Room and drift down the hall toward other banquet rooms, patrons and employees nearest to the Zebra Room smelled it. The employees began to urge room occupants to leave the building. However, as the sprawling complex lacked an audible fire alarm, those in more isolated rooms had no way to know that there was a fire in the building until an employee walked the length of the building alerting them.[8] Fire investigators later estimated that the fire, once it spread through the northern doors of the Zebra Room, took only two to five minutes to enter the Cabaret Room; as a result, news of the fire and the first of the smoke and flame reached the Cabaret Room, the farthest point from the Zebra Room, nearly simultaneously.[7] By the time busboy Walter Bailey[9] arrived in the Cabaret Room and interrupted the show to order an evacuation at 9:06 p.m., there was very little time left for the audience of around 1000 people to make their way through the room's small number of exits.[8] As it spread laterally, the fire also began to spread upwards, engulfing the spiral staircase that would have provided the best exit for those on the second floor of the building.[9]

Around 9:10 p.m., power failed in the building, extinguishing the lights. Panic ensued, and even those who had been calmly moving toward exits in the Cabaret Room began to push and shove each other.[5] The situation was made even more desperate by the fact that of the three exits in the room, two were soon blocked off by the fire, leaving the crowd to funnel through a single exit.[8] Employees outside the exits attempted to pull guests to safety, but the crush of bodies as those behind pushed upon those in front became so solid that no amount of strength could free most of them.[9] Many of those who escaped the crush blocking the northeast fire exit became lost trying to find other exits. The building's confusing design often led to a set of doors opening into a bar area that funneled frantic guests into a dead end.[5]

Bailey, the busboy, undoubtedly saved hundreds of lives with his announcement. No one knew how big the fire was at the time, just that it was in the Zebra Room. Bailey had talked with a superior, but nothing was getting done. So he interrupted the warm-up act and asked people to exit the building.

In the end 165 people died in the fire.

Cincinnati TV station WCPO did a 40-year anniversary oral history of the blaze .

WCPO posted:

DAMMERT: “After I got out, I ran around front, trying to see if people were getting out. The first thing I remember seeing was a pretty girl in a light blue dress. I’m pretty sure she was dead. And in the garden outside the bar, there was another lady in a blue dress, laying there. Her husband was sitting next to her, in shock. I told him, ‘I’m going to do what I can,’ and I was starting to breathe into her mouth. And our family doctor happened to be there, and he said, ‘No Wayne, she’s dead, you can’t do anything for her.’

“What I didn’t know at the time, but they knew, was that people were dying from vinyl chloride gas. One whiff of that and you’re dead. It turned out the gas was caused by the burning of pounds of foam rubber that were part of some beautiful maroon partitions.

“So I took the man’s coat – he was a big man, it was a big coat – and I put it over her face. I told him, ‘Your wife’s with God now and you’ve just got to be brave.’ “

The amount of people in the club was way over fire codes, but no one seemingly inspected that, or the wiring.

As to what started it, there is a heavy rumor the mafia torched it.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Police in Chatsworth GA obviously felt threatened by an 87-year-old woman with dementia holding a kitchen knife and cutting dandelions in a field. She didn't speak English, so obviously the next step was to tase her.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/justice-story-new-yorker-prison-term-landed-guinness-book-world-records-article-1.1004749

Paul Geidel Jr. served the longest ever prison sentence for a released inmate. He was going to be released after 15 years for murdering an old man at the hotel he worked in for his money, but was declared legally insane and put in a psychiatric ward. He was returned to general population...and stayed there.

From the time he was 17, Geidel lived his entire life in prison. He even refused release for 6 years, as the prison had become his home and he would never survive the real world. After finally being released, he went straight to a nursing home before dying at the age of 93 without ever spending a day of his adult life as a free adult.

Jesse Pomeroy spent 41 years in solitary confinement.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

This was posted elsewhere on the forums, DNA/genealogy research into cold cases and the ethical concerns that come with it.

quote:

A “revolution” commenced, said Fitzpatrick. Over the last five months, genetic genealogy has become the wild west — made up largely of citizen scientists, amateur sleuths, hobbyists, and hobbyists turned professionals, many scrambling to lend their puzzle-solving skills to law enforcement, who are in turn scrambling to understand this new and complicated way of solving old crimes.

Humming underneath the field’s frenetic excitement is trepidation: What happens if someone attempting this technique messes up? When genetic genealogy is tested in court for the first time, will it hold up to a defense attorney or jury’s scrutiny? There’s little regulation or oversight involved when a professional detective sends another human’s DNA to these at-home detectives. Ethical lines are being drawn in real time, and Press and Fitzpatrick have found themselves with pens in their hands.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Stairs posted:

That makes sense in a miserably feasable way, but why stuff the bodies in a ceiling?
Jesus Christ, stuff them down by the feet of some dead adult (like they did with unchristened babies in the past). If I were trying to save money at my funeral home the last thing I'd do would be to store bodies on site. Go bury them 100 miles away in a desert or something like drat.

You could just throw bodies into the woods, such as the case of the Tri-State Crematory.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

This is better writing than the actual Stephen King Christine novel for what it’s worth

And The Dark Half, where a major plot point is a teratoma.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I'm pretty familiar with Johnson case, living close enough to the area that I remember when the story broke in 2013.

If there is legitimate evidence of an assault, by all means, they need to reopen the investigation.

The beginning of the case was probably botched. Law enforcement were not as open they needed to be when the case started. This case, though, has been through a lot of people. It's been investigated at the state level and by the Department of Justice. That's not to say something happened and that both are wrong. It's difficult to explain unless you've been around it for 5.5 years.

There are some bothersome things about the linked statement.

The person is alleging the organs were removed from Johnson's body to hinder the investigation. The funeral home the Johnson family used was not one of the richer ones. It's still very common practice in the rural south for black people to use different funeral homes than white (the practice started during the days of segregation but continues now as tradition). Black funeral homes in less prosperous, rural areas tend to not be as wealthy. The removal of Johnson's organs and replacement with newspapers/other filler is not usual, but was an old funerary custom and would not be outside the realm of a poorer funeral home to do so.

The Johnson family spent years accusing a couple of kids of killing their son. They hung on to this, even when it was proven the kids weren't near the victim at Johnson's estimated time of death. One was on a bus headed to a wrestling tournament.

There are so many conspiracies being claimed.

If it's not about Johnson's organs being gone, it's about the video tape being manipulated, it's about the autopsy being a lie. The situation could have happened, but the way the link affidavit reads is pretty fantastic. The person making the statement said so-and-so heard from yet another person who supposedly was a witness.

The Johnson family deserves answers. But the longer this goes on, it feels like people are egging on their legitimate and understandable grief to keep the case going despite every one of the previous claims (except this newest one) to have been explained or rejected by evidence.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Sarcopenia posted:

I think you'll have to give Trump a couple of years in office before he is worse than Bush.

The black market child adoptions of Georgia Tan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Tann
http://www.criminalelement.com/georgia-tann-the-matron-of-evil/
Joan Crawford adopted the two kids she didn't allegedly abuse from Tan.
http://www.joancrawfordbest.com/articlememphis95.htm

Ric Flair was a Georgia Tann baby.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I was going through some microfilmed newspapers recently and came across a story from 1951.

Frank Di Cicco (or DiCicco) was being housed in the Columbus, Ohio prison. He had been in trouble a few times, this time landing in the pen for forgery. Di Cicco obviously wanted to be out of prison, but apparently didn't think he would stay out of trouble if freed.

He decided to undergo a frontal lobotomy, to cure him of his criminal tendencies, which seems to have been performed during the summer or early fall of 1951. A few months later, in July 1952, his surgeon, Dr. John Scholl, convinced the parole board to release DiCicco two years early as an experiment. The 1952 article on his release said he wasn't sarcastic as he had been when he was first incarcerated and he wasn't as melancholy. Di Cicco was hopeful of staying out of trouble.

As lobotomies were/are complete bullshit (Walter Freeman's preferred method was sticking an icepick in your eye sockets and fiddling around), I'm kinda curious as to what became of Di Cicco. Newspaper archives and genealogy records aren't pulling up anything except perhaps a census record for 1930. He lived in Lakewood at the time of his imprisonment in 1951 and was born in c. 1922.

On a similar note: Irving Wallace's lobotomy story (The Operation of Last Resort/They Cut Out His Conscience) has finally been freely digitized somewhere. It originally ran in the Saturday Evening Post and it's pretty messed up.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

These have probably been posted before.

The Boy Who Heard Too Much: Matthew Weigman was blind, overweight, 14, and alone. He could also do anything he wanted with a phone.

When a Stranger Decides to Destroy Your Life: A comment on Facebook begets stalking.

Worst Roommate Ever: Your stuff? It's now his.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

InediblePenguin posted:

yeah my primary school was built 1959 and had a bomb shelter under the library. in 1987 (not a typo) they taught us to always look for the yellow fallout shelter signs when out in town so you're always aware of the closest ones

Bert the Turtle teaches us about ducking and covering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKqXu-5jw60

My dad came of age during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Someone, somewhere on some TV news hypothesized the range of Cuba's nukes on a map. The nuke range extended just into southern Georgia. They lived just into southern Georgia. He noticed that. They did have duck and cover drills at school.

For more unsettling, here is the "Daisy" ad from the 1964 Presidential race. It was considered so disturbing it only aired once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDTBnsqxZ3k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

A neighboring county went nuts when a mom was diagnosed with AIDS in the mid-1980s. She had it and a newborn child had it, but not her elementary-aged son. The kid was barred from attending school and there were many court cases trying to establish his rights. The son ultimately went to another county school system.

Worse stuff happened in Arcadia, Fla., where the local townsfolk burned down the house of a family heavily affected by HIV. The panic was so bad, Isaac Asimov's doctors advised his family to hide his cause of death even though Asimov had contracted HIV from a blood transfusion.

For us old enough to remember school in the 1980s, Ryan White was probably the highest profile case. White contracted HIV through a blood transfusion. Being young and white made him an easy figure to rally behind and we were shown lots of videos about his plight.