Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
The old thread has closed, but there is no end for unnerving or scary things you can find on Wikipedia (or other assorted articles found online). Feel free to post from either source!

There are no wrong answers- just make sure it's scary or unnerving, and preferably scary to people other than yourself. Failing all that, something that invokes morbid curiosity is okay, I guess.

Oh, a couple other things:

- We already know about sleep paralysis, so skip it. We also don't want to hear about the time when you totally experienced it, maybe.

- Don't just post a link - tell us a short synopsis, or quote the article itself in your post! It prevents derails from people asking for more information, and is a courtesy to other goons who might find the subject too spooky.

Kudos to tviolet, who posted the original thread. I read the entire goddamn thing and was just about to post before it was closed this morning. :haw:

To start, I have always been fascinated with Number Stations: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_station

quote:

A numbers station is a type of shortwave radio station characterized by unusual broadcasts, reading out lists of numbers or incomprehensible morse code messages.[1] The voices are often created by speech synthesis and are transmitted in a wide variety of languages. The voices are usually female, although sometimes men's or children's voices are used.

They date back to at least World War 1 and are still used to this day! Their purposes are thought to be mostly cloak and dagger spy poo poo, or possibly drug smuggling. There are also stations that were clearly set up just to gently caress around with us.

A number of citizens have taken to monitoring these stations, documenting their behavior, and (naturally) assign them cute nicknames! :3: Speculation can be pretty fun, and careful listening has provided insight on how some are set up, such as The Buzzer.

These stations unnerve me because it's (typically) a detached-sounding human voice sending encoded messages, which is, y'know, creepy listening. It's obviously not meant for the public (regardless of nationality), so if nothing else, they serve to unite us all, if only in paranoia. :tinfoil:

Literally Kermit has a new favorite as of 02:14 on May 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
And we're reserve this here space for the Best Articles (for last thread and this one)

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Can we put a 'no sleep paralysis' rule in the OP?

Yeah, give me an hour or two when I'm not posting from a phone, and I can start updating the 'hall of fame' post while I am at it.

In the meanwhile, revisit Cropsey, a boogeyman who was actual for-real. A child kidnapper/murderer, in fact, who is currently serving a life sentence.

'Cropsey' was local slang for any sort of psycho criminal at that time (1973 Staten Island).

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Icon Of Sin posted:

Then we get to things that are from beyond Earth orbit; these are asteroids, comets, and occasionally a spent Saturn V fuel tank from the Apollo program (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J002E3) and are moving extremely fast, relative to Earth. If the orbits line up just right, these can hit the atmosphere so fast that they only spend a second or two burning through the entirety of the atmosphere before hitting the ground.

It's not just space junk orbiting the earth, it's space junk that has been directly orbiting the sun and periodically returning to earth's orbit for a few years, roughly every forty years. It's most likely the second stage of Apollo 12, meaning it's a piece of equipment that put men on the moon. It's an accidental time capsule, in a way.

This is a picture of the S-IVB stage of Apollo 17, identical to the orbiting J002E3. Barring the unforeseen, it'll continue that semi-stable orbit that it began before many of us were born, and long after we're all dead.

Also, it'll show up twice as much as Halley's Comet. I was six when it last passed by earth, and I have a clear memory of watching it. This same comet has buzzed us every 74- 79 years, and boy did it ever gently caress with our ancestor's heads.

Occasionally, it may have also hosed with their lively-hoods:

Wikipedia posted:

Circumstantial evidence suggests that a 600 meter fragment shed by Halley's Comet may have impacted into Earth in 536 during the annual Eta Aquarid meteor shower. This may have contributed to drought and famine making humanity more susceptible to the Plague of Justinian in 541-542.

That is, a fragment came down, blew up enough dust in the atmosphere to effect harvests, and led to a demand for imported food from far away places, such as Egypt and China. This helped spread disease-carrying rats and caused the first known outbreak of the bubonic plague. Evidence of it being from the comet comes from samples from Greenland, which shows the dust that settled around that time contained traces of stuff usually found in comets.

Halley's Comet will return in 2061, heralding another scary and unnerving thing - Claymation Mark Twain. The real Mark Twain was born on a year the comet was near earth, and died in 1910, the next time Halley's Comet visited. He saw it out. :unsmith:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Rapman the Cook posted:

Why start a new thread just to post all the same things again?

I'll do my best to put some of the old threads in the OP (or under it) if that helps.

Do your part! Find us some cool scary wikipedia goodness! I believe in you. :sax:

Edit: In fact, lemme add some potentially new content! I didn't see this one last thread (and i read the whole loving thing) but there was, amusingly, a goon with a nickname alluding to these chucklefucks:

Meet Leopold and Loeb

WIkipeda posted:

Nathan Freudenthal Leopold, Jr. (November 19, 1904 – August 29, 1971)[1] and Richard Albert Loeb (June 11, 1905 – January 28, 1936), more commonly known as "Leopold and Loeb", were two wealthy University of Chicago law students who kidnapped and murdered 13-year-old Robert "Bobby" Franks in 1924 in Chicago.[2]

The duo was motivated to murder Franks by their desire to commit a perfect crime.

A letter from Leopold posted:

"A superman ... is, on account of certain superior qualities inherent in him, exempted from the ordinary laws which govern men. He is not liable for anything he may do."

Leopold was a huge fan of Nietzsche, and the concept of the Ubermensch, which easily rubbed off on Loeb. They wanted to kidnap and murder a random boy while also collecting ransom from that boy's family. And naturally, they wanted to not get caught which shouldn't be a problem since they were supermen, right?

The horrific details of Bobby Franks' murder I will leave to the article, but spoilers: they hosed up royally. The key factor of their downfall was... Leopold himself:

quote:

Though Leopold went about his day to day routine quietly, Loeb involved himself in the police investigations as much as possible. He offered theories to reporters and whoever else would listen. He even went as far as to say "If I were to murder anybody, it would be such a cocky little son of a bitch as Bobby Franks".[citation needed]

For a while, the hunt for clues seemed hopeless. However, Detective Hugh Patrick Byrne, while searching for evidence, discovered a pair of eyeglasses near the body. Though common in prescription and frame, these glasses were equipped with an unusual hinge mechanism (patent 1,342,973[19]). In Chicago, only three people had purchased glasses with such a mechanism, one of whom was Nathan Leopold.[20] (Leopold's glasses are now in the Chicago History Museum.[21])

(A citation of him stealth-boasting was in mentioned in the crime encyclopedia I had when I was younger, and a lot of my links will be what I remember of that book)
The cops also found the destroyed typewriter L&L used to type up the ransom note; they had neglected to fully destroy the parts that easily matched it to the note.

The crime was sensational of its time, given the age, wealth, and motives of the two boys. Read the full article for the sordid details.

Leopold repented somewhat after Loeb died in a prison fight. He was paroled for good behavior and for volunteering to test malaria treatments and lived the remaineder of his life trying to clear Loeb's name (again, see article)

Ironically, upon his death, Leopold's corneas were donated. They never gave him luck, anyway. :haw:

Literally Kermit has a new favorite as of 17:06 on May 6, 2014

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

KoRMaK posted:

Just to be clear, the plague wasn't riding through space on the comet right? It's just that it kicked up enough dust to make humans change how far they would travel, and some far off place had a disease that propagated. Am I paraphrasing that correctly?

This is just referring to the dust and not embedded fossilized plague stuff that originated from the comet, right?

Yeah. The comet fragment just hosed with growing crops and hunting game, which caused a demand for food from far away, which caused the already existing plague to find new places to infect.

The presence of comet dust just served to identify why so much dust was settling at that period, and the rest is connecting the dots. If it had been volcanic dust found in those layers, we'd look to possible links to volcano eruptions around that timeframe.

The unnerving part is that many ancient cultures considered a comet an omen, and in this one case it did bring woe. Also, that nifty comet I saw as a kid has the potential to gently caress up the environment far more efficiently and faster than we can (and Lord knows, we try).

Fake edit:

FrozenVent posted:

Yes; the temporary climate changes affected migration patterns and the alimentary supply chain, which caused plague-carrying parasites to be carried into previously unaffected area.

This post is saying the same thing only shorter and more efficient. Thus, I was beaten. :eng99:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Just caught up with the thread; sorry for being behind with posting, but the last few pages have been really good!

Scientology is legit terrifying to me, like blatant evil allowed to exist out in the open because it technically (or provably) isn't breaking the law. I'd love a more in depth thread about it.

Also that monkey-frightening robot reminds me of Corky, from Pee-wee's Playhouse.

I don't have a new article to post right now, but I have a request! let's take a page or three and compare notes: list articles you commonly see posted again and again so I can update the OP to help new posters from inadvertently retreading old ground. Examples include "strange sounds" such as the "Bloop", or any of dozens of serial killers that see a lot of time here, such as HH Holmes or Albert Fish.

Occasionally revisiting a topic is okay, of course, but try to at least add some new info or something instead of relinking the original article. These threads get big, so bringing up Holmes' murder castle with the built in crematorium and such is a lot more interesting than hearing just the basics about that sick gently caress (who was entombed under concrete because he didn't want his brain studied!)

Lastly, if you feel the need to call out a derail, do the thread a solid and post a link to a scary or unnerving article with it. It is helpful!

As an aside, can an OP change the thread name, or is that strictly up to a mod or admin's whims?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Hello, thread, thanks for carrying on for this long! First thread I have ever made.

I for one support a shift from serial killers back to disasters, at least for a while. A serial killer is a bad person who does terrible poo poo to a few people on purpose, a (man-made) disaster can often be traced to one or a small group of people making innocent mistakes or irresponsible choices that can kill hundreds, or impact millions of lives!

The RMS Titanic is a good example of making something big and not anticipating big problems in might create (and taking shortcuts to save time). There's a lot of 'if only's that stacked up - bad conditions, mistaken identities, just plain bad luck, which made for a lovely night for people sailing aboard her and a lovely week in Halifax when they tried to sort through what they could of the dead.

As a child, I loved the stories of The Thinking Machine, and was grealy saddened when I discovered that the author died on the Titanic. I was six or seven, the Titanic had just been rediscovered and subsequently visited by the Alvin so it was fresh in my mind, and it was the first time I put the people who put words on the page as people who had lives and died, if that made any sense. Also I was kind of dumb and thought the Thinking Machine were modern stories, so I was mostly sad that there wouldn't be anymore. Also that there was an unpublished Thinking Machine story that went down with the ship. :smith:

But Jacques Futrelle's wife made it on a lifeboat while he stayed behind so Mr. Futrelle owns. :unsmith:

Lastly most unnearving and scary this the DSV Alvin is still in service after all these years and several refits. Scary awesome. Keep exploring the deep, little buddy. See what you can see. :unsmith:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Helena Handbasket posted:

Bridget Driscoll died in one of the first pedestrian/automobile accidents in 1896. The car was going about four miles per hour.

Christ, that really IS unnerving. The best part is the car was just a demonstration vehicle, showing off new fangled technology. Ended up demonstrating BLOOD ON THE STREETS! :black101:

... 4 mph. Killed by something going as fast as a brisk jog. :smith:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Just watched the excellent doc Dreams of a Life about the sad case of Joyce Vincent:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyce_Vincent

The weirdest thing is that she wasn't some complete loner, she was a smart, attractive and popular woman with four sisters and a pretty large circle of friends. Over the years she'd hung out with Isaac Hayes, Gil Scott Heron and Stevie Wonder. But when she disappeared people either didn't notice, or didn't care enough to find out what had happened to her, so for two years her corpse lay rotting in the middle of London. The TV was on the whole time.

Her rent was partly paid by government benefits so it took two years for arrears to build and her utilities were direct debits, so the power and heating stayed on.

Creepy.

edit: This is also a very good article about her: http://www.theguardian.com/film/2011/oct/09/joyce-vincent-death-mystery-documentary

I remember this being posted in the old thread a long ways back, and it's haunting. I'm glad you brought this back up Mr. F-

:stonkhat:

Supreme Allah posted:

Is it, DryGoods. Is the article about self-mummification, a bit dryyyyy.

:stonkhat: x 2 COMBO UNLOCKED

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
In a less scary and more unnerving vein, here is a cool thing I learned from the OSHA.jpg thread! It is about man engines.

It is not an engine made of mans, but an engine for moving mans up and down a manshaft mineshaft.

quote:

A man engine is a mechanism of reciprocating ladders and stationary platforms installed in mines to assist the miners' journeys to and from the working levels. It was invented in Germany in the 19th century and was a prominent feature of tin and copper mines in Cornwall until the beginning of the twentieth century.

Not much unsafer than climbing a series of ladders with a bunch of anxious miners directly above or below you (since a miner didn't start earning pay until they were actually underground and mining!) and moved slowly enough to not be any more dangerous than World 1-2 of Super Mario Bros.

A man engine reduced the miners' journey time (in either direction) from about an hour to twenty-four minutes and the general productivity increased by one fifth. Overall, a win-win for both the owners (more profit!) and for the miners (less exhausting commute to work)! And nothing ever went wrong and everyone was safe forever! :buddy:

quote:

In the afternoon of 20 October 1919 an accident occurred on the man engine at the Levant Mine, St Just, Cornwall. More than 100 miners were on the engine being drawn to the surface when a metal bracket at the top of the rod broke. The heavy timbers crashed down the shaft, carrying the side platforms with them, and thirty-one men lost their lives. The man engine was not replaced and the lowest levels of the mine were abandoned.

Or maybe sometimes it was a haunted mine generator. :iit:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Please do not gently caress poultry in my threat. Unless there's a Wikipedia article on said subject.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Oh hey, Dick! How's life.

Hey, folks, let's effort-post about volcanoes. No, let's effort-post about supervolcanoes.

That's right, one word - coined in 1925 to describe the really, really bad volcanoes. Ones that peg a 7 or an 8 on the Volcanic Explosivity Index.

A VEI of 0 is a 'Hawaiian' sort of eruption. More of a gentle ooze, calm flows. Good times. Mount Erebus in Antartica is a good example. (Erebus Bonus: it's goddang cold there, which makes it a good place to study volcanic vents right up close! Free heat.) VEI 0's are also always happening, just another Tuesday for Mr. Joe Volcano.

Vesuvius of 79 AD and Mt. St. Helens of 1980 would be a VEI of 5. These volcanoes are better known for 'showering surrounding area with meters-deep ash' and 'blowing the loving top right off the loving mountain'. A 5. Out of a scale of 8.

Krakatoa is a fun word. To compare, 'Helens' triggered my spellchecker, but not Krakatoa. We don't gently caress with Krakatoa, is why. Its final eruption of 1883 sent out a pressure wave at roughly 1,086 km/h (675 mph). It ruptured the eardrums of sailors many many miles away, and worldwide barographic recordings show that the shock wave from the final explosion reverberated around the globe 7 times in total. Speaking of worldwide fun:

Wikipedia: Global optical effects posted:

The eruption darkened the sky worldwide for years afterwards, and produced spectacular sunsets throughout the world for many months.
British artist William Ashcroft made thousands of colour sketches of the red sunsets half way around the world from Krakatoa in the years after the eruption.

The ash caused "such vivid red sunsets that fire engines were called out in New York, Poughkeepsie, and New Haven to quench the apparent conflagration."[15] This eruption also produced a Bishop's Ring around the sun by day, and a volcanic purple light at twilight.

In 2004, an astronomer proposed the idea that the blood red sky shown in Edvard Munch's famous 1893 painting The Scream is also an accurate depiction of the sky over Norway after the eruption.[16]

Weather watchers of the time tracked and mapped the effects on the sky. They labeled the phenomenon the "equatorial smoke stream".[17] This was the first identification of what is known today as the jet stream.[18]

For several years following the eruption it was reported that the moon appeared to be blue and sometimes green. Blue moons resulted because some of the ash clouds were filled with particles about 1 µm wide—the right size to strongly scatter red light, while allowing other colors to pass. White moonbeams shining through the clouds emerged blue, and sometimes green. People also saw lavender suns and, for the first time, noctilucent clouds.[15]

So yeah. That's just a VEI 6. Just a volcano. Worthy enough to kill Pliny's dad many times over, but not supervolcano-over.

So what constitutes a "supervolcano"? What pegs an 8? Well, the good news is it doesn't happen often - once every 10,000 years. That's good, except the last recorded supervolcano occurred around 26,500 years ago, in New Zealand. We're overdue.

Another supervolcano of yore was the one that formed the Yellowstone Caldera back around 640,000 BC. A caldera is going the other way than you might imagine a volcano ominously growing tall out of the earth - the eruption that formed Yellowstone was so powerful and fast it briefly emptied itself of magma and collapsed to form that giant bowl poo poo. The entire area is still a hotbed of activity, which is why there's so many goddamn geysers. Also hot springs that will boil the flesh off your bones.

So in conclusion, supervolcanoes are unnerving as gently caress to me, and should take priority over posts about dead serial killers.

Thank you.

Edit: to put it perspective, this represents the volume of poo poo a volcano has to put out to earn its VEI:

Yellowstone Caldera is not depicted, but you get the idea. It's ten times as large as the largest circle on the gif. :sax:

Literally Kermit has a new favorite as of 18:30 on Sep 11, 2014

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

kinmik posted:

^^^^ This entire post. I wish I could give it an individual rating of 5.

Thanks Kermit, but drat will I sleep uneasily waiting for a geyser to blow up beneath my bed.

Oh don't worry! You're more likely to choke to death on the ash drifting down upon your house and home.

quote:

The people and buildings of Pompeii were covered in up to twelve different layers of tephra, in total 25 meters deep, which rained down for about 6 hours.

Interestingly, many of the bodies discovered in Pompii (or the ash-casts of which) seemed to be wearing warmer clothes then expected in August, when the eruption happened. There were also signs that merchants were covering up wine jars, etc, something they wouldn't normally do until October. No one knows why, presumably it was a cold summer.

In fact, they probably prayed to Vulcanalia for a little warmer weather. Vulcanalia, or Vulcan, was the Roman god of Fire, and his festival was the day before Vesuvius erupted. He was also the god of volcanoes. :unsmigghh:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
I am sorry, this thread is now about serial killers who are either volcanoes or ancient bog-folk. I should probably update the OP.

Mother Nature: straight up dealer, serial killer.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Quote is not Edit.

Edit: still a good serial killer link though, I didn't know about them at all! Basically, only post lesser known serial killers

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

TheModernAmerican posted:

I think this is the "What do you think this thread is becoming" thread.

Volcanoes vs bog mummies no matter who wins we lose D:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

RevSyd posted:

Here's the definitive book on that scenario: Motel of the Mysteries, which is about a famous archaeological discovery in the year 4022.

The authors point is that while archaeologists are truly dedicated to their work, once history gets remote enough their guesses are just that. The book is really funny because all of their guesses are wrong... its "present day" seems equivalent to about the nineteenth century, and the grand burial plaza they uncover is just a 20th century motel. It never occurs to the archaeologists that the civilization they've uncovered might have been more technologically advanced than their own.

How these ceremonial accoutrements may have been worn (note the outhouse in the background). When they uncover the parking lot for instance, they confidently assume that the rusted metal coffins they find were designed to transport souls to the afterlife, since they are all labeled with the names of powerful ancient gods and totems (Saturn, Thunderbird, Eagle, Ford etc.)

Then there are the misfortunes that befall some of the excavators... the dreaded and mysterious Curse of Toot n' Come In.

My favorite part of this book was they pronounced 'USA' as 'Ooo-saaa', like a word.

Also what they think caused the downfall of USA was they slashed postal rates for junkmail, causing the entire nation to be buried in it.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I just bought this book in hardcover thanks to this post.

God forbid I derail further, but you are just getting started. David Macaulay was one of my favorite illustrators growing up!

I recommend Unbuilding which is only really unnerving to me, because I am very fond of the Empire State Building and for some reason the idea of it being willfully and slowly torn down upset me as a kid. (The premise was it was bought up by an American-raised Saudi prince, and I completely missed the part that he tore it down in order to ship it to and rebuild it in Saudi Arabia!). He had to "unbuild" it the reverse order it was constructed, which admittedly had more impact for than watching them build it from scratch.

For building poo poo from scratch and by old school methods, he has a poo poo ton of those, as well. Castle, Cathedral, Mill, City (Roman edition) and so on and so on.

Probably his best known book is 'The Way Things Work' and oh my god what is this there's a new edition of it oh god yes. TELL ME EVERYTHING, RAD MAMMOTHS OF ME MISSPENT YOUTH!

Okay now what can you tiny little people tell me about the inclined plane?

Yes. YES. Giant hand guy?

Present and accounted for. I am whole once again. :science:

But, I digress!Here's one of his illustrations from Cathedral:

Go buy all the books. Okay Derail Now Ends post more volcanic bog mummy serial killers tia.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
So fills the morgue with the sound of gentle buzzing, ringing

"There was an explosion! Are you okay? Are okay!?"

I had to leave the room.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

benito posted:

Jean Thurel lived from 1698 to 1807 and spent 90 years of his life serving as a French soldier under everyone from Louis XV to Napoleon I.

Khazar-khum posted:

He was in the infantry for 90 years. He wasn't a desk soldier; he was a fusilier, which meant active. He refused to ride in carriages or wagons while in the field, marching with his unit even when in his late 80s.

That's loving scary awesome.

Edit:

quote:

On 8 November 1787, Thurel was presented to the royal court at the Palace of Versailles.

The 33-year-old king of France, Louis XVI, addressed the 88-year-old Army private in a respectful manner as "father", and asked whether Thurel would prefer to be awarded the Ordre Royal et Militaire de Saint-Louis (Royal and Military Order of Saint Louis) or a third Médaillon Des Deux Épées medal, in recognition of the period from 1764–1788.[3]

This was a highly unusual request—not only because enlisted men and non-commissioned officers were not normally eligible to receive the Ordre Royal et Militaire de Saint-Louis, which was reserved for commissioned officers of the Army or the Navy[7]—but also because Thurel still had four more months of military service to complete before being eligible for a third Médaillon Des Deux Épées medal.

Thurel opted to receive a third Médaillon Des Deux Épées, on the condition that the king himself attach the medal to his uniform. Louis XVI granted Thurel his wish.

The Comte d'Artois offered Thurel his sword, and the ladies of the court put a carriage at his disposal during his stay in the Paris area.[3] The king also granted Thurel an annual pension of 300 livres.[4] Very few men ever completed the 48 years of military service required to receive a second medal. Thurel was the only one to have received it thrice.

Literally Kermit has a new favorite as of 13:46 on Sep 24, 2014

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

That article is pro-loving-click. Man who history thinks the accident changed him completely goes on to be a stagecoach driver in the mountains of Chile for seven years before returning to American to work on a farm in San Fransisco.

Carried around the tamping iron that nearly killed him like it was a walking stick. The man who gave nary a gently caress. :unsmith:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
It should also be stressed that stagecoach driving is an extremely dexterous undertaking, and he was driving horses on mountain passes, switchbacks, and keeping an eye out for motherfucking highway robbers. Seven years of this.

Hopefully while guiding the reins in one hand and welding the tamping rod like a harpoon, daring all on-comers to just try and start some poo poo.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Holy mother gently caress. This guy was loving bad rear end as all poo poo. He had some mother loving balls the size of loving boulders. loving gently caress me.

I don't know if you're making fun of me or not, but yes, this is an absolutely true statement about Phineas Gage. :black101:

Phineas was also a handsome gent:

Not bad for a dude that had this happen to his head. (:nms: for many folks)

Imagine him saying “Here’s business enough for you.” now. :stonk:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Technical query: why wasn't the tamping iron habitually sheathed in copper at the tip/s? It would have prevented accidental ignitions, which must have been not uncommon with iron rods.

Probably the same reason people ignore or skimp on personal protective equipment today: it costed extra.

Also, it could be that they just hadn't discovered a solution to that problem at that time.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
I ran across a youtube of the song "Snoopy vs. The Red Baron" which is a jaunty song and in the youtube's case, a loving pro-click if you want to see the worst slide show someone made to go with the music.

So on a lark, I looked up more on Manfred von Richthofen the infamous Red Baron:

quote:

For decades after World War I, some authors questioned whether Richthofen achieved 80 victories, insisting that his record was exaggerated for propaganda purposes. Some claimed that he took credit for aircraft downed by his squadron or wing.

In fact, Richthofen's victories are unusually well documented. A full list of the aircraft the Red Baron was credited with shooting down was published as early as 1958[60]—with documented RFC/RAF squadron details, aircraft serial numbers, and the identities of Allied airmen killed or captured—73 of the 80 are listed as matching recorded British losses.

A study conducted by British historian Norman Franks with two colleagues, published in Under the Guns of the Red Baron in 1998, reached the same conclusion about the high degree of accuracy of Richthofen's claimed victories. There were also unconfirmed victories that would put his actual total as high as 100 or more.[61]

Man, he was a demon in the air! How did he get to be such a

quote:

After being educated at home he attended a school at Schweidnitz before beginning military training when he was 11

Oh, well, that certainly gives you a leg up. His pre-flight career was a stint in a supply unit, which is about as fun as it sounds. What it led up to (or so legends tell) was a very polite "gently caress this!" to up his chain of command:

quote:

Disappointed and bored at not being able to directly participate in combat, the last straw for Richthofen was an order to transfer to the army's supply branch.

His interest in the Air Service had been aroused by his examination of a German military aircraft behind the lines,[10] and he applied for a transfer to Die Fliegertruppen des deutschen Kaiserreiches (Imperial German Army Air Service), later to be known as the Luftstreitkräfte.

He is supposed to have written in his application for transfer, "I have not gone to war in order to collect cheese and eggs, but for another purpose."[c]

In spite of this unmilitary attitude, and to his own surprise, his request was granted,[10] and he joined the flying service at the end of May 1915.[11]

:c00lbert: It is said that the very first pair of Aviator sunglasses manifested and landed on the bridge of the Baron's nose upon writing that line. [citation needed]

So, he joined the air service and became a good pilot. He was, of course, a complete professional.

quote:

After his first confirmed victory, Richthofen contacted a jeweller in Berlin and ordered a silver cup engraved with the date and the type of enemy aircraft.[d] He continued this until he had 60 cups, by which time the dwindling supply of silver in blockaded Germany meant that silver cups like this could no longer be supplied. Richthofen discontinued his orders at this stage, rather than accept cups made in pewter or other base metal.

Holy poo poo. At least that's more classy than tea-bagging their plane with his plane.

It is also said the practice of video game achievements was invented at this time. [citation needed]

While recovering from being wounded, he wrote his only book, Der Rote Kampfflieger (The Red Fighter Pilot). Towards the end, he sums up his mindset nicely:

quote:

My father discriminates between a sportsman and a butcher. The latter shoots for fun. When I have shot down an Englishman my hunting passion is satisfied for a quarter of an hour. Therefore I do not succeed in shooting two Englishmen in succession. If one of them comes down I have the feeling of complete satisfaction. Only much, much later I have overcome my instinct and have become a butcher.

Read that a couple times, let it sink in.

By this time, ol' Manfred was a proven legend:

quote:

By 1918, Richthofen had become such a legend that it was feared that his death would be a blow to the morale of the German people.[38]

Richthofen himself refused to accept a ground job after his wound, stating that the average German soldier had no choice in his duties, and he would therefore continue to fly in combat.[39]

Certainly he had become part of a cult of hero-worship, assiduously encouraged by official propaganda. German propaganda circulated various false rumours, including that the British had raised squadrons specially to hunt down Richthofen, and had offered large rewards and an automatic Victoria Cross to any Allied pilot who shot him down.[40]

Passages from his correspondence indicate he may have at least half-believed some of these stories himself

But, in the end, it was proved he was as mortal as we:

quote:

At the time, the Baron had been pursuing (at very low altitude) a Sopwith Camel piloted by a novice Canadian pilot, Lieutenant Wilfrid "Wop" May of No. 209 Squadron, Royal Air Force.[42] In turn, the Baron was spotted and briefly attacked by a Camel piloted by a school friend (and flight commander) of May's, Canadian Captain Arthur "Roy" Brown, who had to dive steeply at very high speed to intervene, and then had to climb steeply to avoid hitting the ground.[42] Richthofen turned to avoid this attack, and then resumed his pursuit of May

Captain Brown was an all-around good guy - he took new pilots to fly over actual dogfights in progress so they knew what the hell to expect. It's notable that he never lost a pilot under him. By coincidence, he also shares the last name of Charlie Brown, Snoopy's owner. :tinfoil:

quote:

It was almost certainly during this final stage in his pursuit of May that a single .303 bullet hit Richthofen, damaging his heart and lungs so severely that it must have caused a very quick death.[43][44]

In the last seconds of his life, he managed to make a hasty but controlled landing ( 49°55′56″N 2°32′16″E) in a field on a hill near the Bray-Corbie road, just north of the village of Vaux-sur-Somme, in a sector controlled by the Australian Imperial Force (AIF).[42] One witness, Gunner George Ridgway, stated that when he and other Australian soldiers reached the aircraft, Richthofen was still alive but died moments later.[44]

Another eye witness, Sergeant Ted Smout of the Australian Medical Corps, reported that Richthofen's last word was "kaputt".[45][f]

So passed the Red Baron. The RAF officially credited Brown with the killing shot, but it's more likely the shot came from the ground. If anything, it was a team effort putting the Baron in the path of that bullet.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Neo_Crimson posted:

Killing enemy combatants in war is one thing, but the Baron took a strange and excessive amount of glee out of it (ordering trophies of every kill, the hunter/butcher thing). Was he a serial killer? No, but his mindset is still pretty disturbing and who knows what he would have done in peacetime.

Probably be insanely bored and insanely popular. He was the Red Baron.

I did highlight the unsettling parts of his life, but remember he was a professional soldier who started his military education at the age of 11.

His over-eagerness to see combat rather than serve in the (much safer) supply unit was not uncommon, because of honor, glory, etc was the thing to fight and die for back then. Problem was, warfare was changing from "line up in a line and shoot at the enemy's firing line" to "let's gas the mother fuckers" or "let's spy on the enemy's movement using flying crate technology that some guys invented barely a decade ago". A lot of old romantic notions of war got an even harsher dose of reality.

His trophy thing seems like something a crazy person might do, but from his point of view it was probably less "I killed again today" and more a "I'm still alive HEH."

Or maybe he was just an rear end in a top hat, I dunno. It is kind of disrespectful to call him a "serial killer" because he flew combat missions on behalf of his country in a time of war.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

MightyJoe36 posted:

Yeah, I had my car stolen in New Jersey in 1995. They recovered it. It was wrecked in a high-speed chase, and then put in the impound lot, which cost me $200 to retrieve. My insurance covered most of the repair bill, but my premiums went up substantially.

So I applied to the Victim's Compensation Board for restitution and I was told that the thug who stole my car first had to pay the fines that he was charged as a result of the crime, then when that was paid, he was responsible for making restitution. The scrote was in jail for armed robbery and grand theft auto, so I was probably going to see my money sometime in the next 30 years. :psyduck:

On the bright side, only 5 more years to go!

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
And we're back! :swoon:

That prion disease article is fascinating. If I read it correctly, it wasn't so much the practice brain eating so much as the fact someone's brain was diseased, was eaten, and spread its infection to others who eventually died, were eaten, and so on until it was spread across the region.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Let's talk about someone who is literally straight out of a Billy Joel song (right after 'AIDS' and 'crack'):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernhard_Goetz

My first memory of him was when I was about seven, from a MAD magazine of all places. They had a cut out mask of his face saying that no mugger would mess with you as long as you have it on. It took years before I learned what that was all about.

Bernie Goetz's case was and still is a highly charged one: when the system fails you, just how far can you go with your right to self defense? Goetz only started carrying an (illegal) firearm after receiving permanent injury in a previous robbery, for which the perpetrator got a slap on the wrist.

Were the four black men just panhandling, or were they really going to rob him on that subway car? Yes, as a survivor later admitted: Goetz looked like an 'easy mark' and the men intended to rob him.

Did Goetz take it too far? Certainly. He fired a second round into one of the men, which in the very least escalated it beyond basic self-defense.

Wick E. Pedia posted:

Whether Goetz actually said aloud the words, "You don't look so bad, here's another," or only thought them, is still a matter of dispute. He has subsequently denied on several occasions making the statement.
“In all probability, the defendant uttered these words only to himself and probably not even mouthing the words, but just saying them in his own mind as he squeezed the trigger that fifth time.”

Asked what his intentions were when he drew his revolver, Goetz replied, "My intention was to murder them, to hurt them, to make them suffer as much as possible."[28] Later in the tape, Goetz said, "If I had more bullets, I would have shot 'em all again and again. My problem was I ran out of bullets." He added, "I was gonna, I was gonna gouge one of the guys' [Canty's] eyes out with my keys afterwards", but said he stopped when he saw the fear in his eyes.

Goetz made these statements after he initially fled, then turned himself into a police station in New Hampshire. He was emotionally charged as he made these statements, which he made during a two hour interview with police after waiving his right to an attorney. Overall, he was horrified what he had done.

Was justice served? All four men survived with serious injuries, with the man shot twice left paralyzed by the shooting as well as brain damaged. Ironically, he himself received a slap on the wrist, serving 8 months of a year-long sentence.

Overall, public awareness of how bad things were in NYC skyrocketed, and arguably led to relatively safer place it is now, according to the national average. The NRA used the case to (successfully) argue for loosening conceal carry laws. The man left paralyzed eventually sued and won a $43 million dollar judgement against Goetz in civil court (the second shot was the decisive factor in the judgement). And Goetz went on being Bernie Goetz:

quote:

On November 1, 2013, Goetz was arrested for allegedly selling $30 worth of marijuana to an undercover female NYPD officer in Union Square.[85] At a December 18, 2013 court appearance he rejected a 10 day community service plea, stating "Either dismiss it, or let's take it to trial and let a jury decide". Outside court Goetz said he offered the undercover female officer the marijuana three times for free but she insisted on paying for it, and that he thought the arresting officer was trying to get him to punch him to escalate the case.[86]

At a February 20, 2014 court appearance Goetz again rejected a 10 day community service plea and called on Mayor de Blasio to stop all marijuana arrests in NYC for a few months.[87] On September 10, 2014 the case against Goetz was dismissed for lack of a speedy trial, with the prosecution being two weeks too late to proceed.[88]

Following his court appearance, Goetz made statements in support of pot legalization,[88] instant-runoff voting, vegetarianism, carriage horses, and the policing of New York today.[89]

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Either very goony, or this coincidence is just too good:

:flashfact:

He's like a bizarro Calvin's Dad, in a strange way.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Yvershek posted:

"Goetz's racial language about criminal activity on 14th Street, allegedly made at a community meeting 18 months before the shooting, "The only way we're going to clean up this street is to get rid of the spics and niggers," was offered as evidence of racial motivation for the shooting."

Please don't buy him an account.

Good point, he probably already has one by now.

Maybe we could get him a plat upgrade.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm not sure what qualifies this as "scary or unnerving".

Parksville is spitting distance from my home town, so in my case it is! :v:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

BobbyK posted:

Holy poo poo I knew that voice sounded familiar. The Schuler's family attorney is Dominic Barbara, I'm pretty sure that's the celebrity lawyer that called into Howard Stern all the time and was just recently disbarred right?

That would be him, yes.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Rochallor posted:

This reminds me of the story of Times Beach, MO, in which a guy makes big money off of coating the town's various properties in oil to keep the dust down. Oh, and he also made a lot of money off of accepting toxic waste to dispose of. Gee, I wonder if there's a connection.

Not for nothing, but there was a second company between the waste disposal guy and the facility that produced the waste. They paid the former $125 a load and were paid by the latter $3000 a load to get rid of waste they had no idea what to do with (which is why they sold it to a local waste oil business to begin with).

That doesn't absolve the waste guy (who thought it was no more harmful than motor oil) but he wasn't exactly a mustache-twirling profiteer, either. It's a good wiki article!

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Three-Phase posted:

Want to know what one of the proposed alternatives by Roger Fisher to the nuclear football was?

The guy would have a briefcase containing a knife. The man carrying the briefcase would have the launch code surgically implanted in a device near or under his heart. If the president wanted to get the code out, he'd have to take the knife and cut the guy open to get the launch codes, killing him in the process.

This proposal was shot down because it was said that the president would be too traumatized by having to kill him to get the launch codes. (The hundreds of millions of deaths in nuclear fire and fallout, well, that's not so bad.)

Put the president under, implant code under president's own bicep, so in order to launch nukes, president must cut codes out of own arm first :black101:

Scramble codes after change of administration, of course.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Wasabi the J posted:

Ok wait maybe he's onto something, if only assholes destroy priceless poo poo like that.

Yeah but they discovered 12 old caves after they dynamited, that had century old paintings.

Moral muddy at best.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Regardless of it being real or not, there now exists various kinds of similar substances that mimic the original in form and function.

If it was fake, it's science fiction made real. We already have handheld communicators, we're slowly developing replicator technology, and now we have this cool, light stuff that has enormous potential as costs of making it go down.

If it was real, same as above except the inventor of the first generation of aerogels really, really hosed himself and his family over.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

blunt for century posted:

It's alright to dislike two things at once while recognizing that one is worse than the other. Let's get back on topic folks

It's never been on topic. This was a thread about scary Oregon articles that went horribly wrong, but I just rolled with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Steampunk iPhone posted:

This is horrifying. The pictures in the article are NSFW and may ruin your day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Springfield_Three

You know, there was a time when I liked your posts.