Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Double Plus Good posted:

It was posted in the old thread but I'll post it again in case anyone hasn't read it: http://allkindsofhistory.wordpress.com/2013/01/28/lost-in-the-taiga/

You posted in the other thread about this dude who was obsessed with you, right? You should retell that story, it was p unnerving.

ChickenOfTomorrow has a new favorite as of 04:57 on May 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

anesthetics have been known to wear off unexpectedly while the paralytics that keep your unconscious body from jerking around do not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intraoperative_awareness

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

ElMaligno posted:

I have a story not about scopolamine, but about Propofol.

Referred to in the Health Care Stories thread as Milk of Amnesia.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

my name is Joseph Yablonsky. I have never met you before, but I hate you regardless. if I met you in public, I'd still hate you. I probably wouldn't hate you any more than how much I currently hate you, because I don't think that would be humanly possible. I would probably punch you in the face though.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Come back when he's eaten Chichester Cathedral.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

As more people arrived, and the list increased, passengers began to slide and fall, and some were crushed by toppling equipment. The scenes of loss and bedlam defied coherent description by the survivors who witnessed them. On Deck 4 two women who had reached the staircase lost their grip and fell fatally against a wall. Others had already been badly injured, and some were lying apparently dead. Emotions among those unable to climb varied widely, with some people screaming incoherently, others seemingly listless and confused, and still others rational, self-contained, and brave.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Unless he lived as a homeless hermit in the Oregon woods the rest of his life we would have caught him within a month probably.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Perhaps surprisingly, his immediate reaction to the photos, and the details of the research was one of pride. “Just the amount of damage done to the body—it was hours, literally hours, and it was clean,” he says. “It was just this huge amount of unthought-of information.” In his enthusiasm, Ted posted a link on Facebook saying, “Hey, look! Mom got eaten by vultures! Awesome!”

In a third-grade classroom at her elementary school, Mary was online and saw the note from her youngest brother. She clicked on the link—and had a typical Robinson family reaction: “I was like ‘Oh, cool! They’re talking about her!’” Then she saw the pictures. “And it was ‘Oh, there’s Mom’s face! There’s her teeth! Oh, there’s her ribs! Oh, wow.’”

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Try Longform.org, especially http://longform.org/crime for crime articles.

Some I've enjoyed recently:
http://www.oxfordamerican.org/articles/2014/nov/06/issue-86-no-twang-conscience-whatever/
http://www.laweekly.com/informer/2014/10/15/harry-major-took-in-ex-cons-for-sex-and-friendship-then-he-turned-up-dead?showFullText=true
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2003/09/29/a-hundred-women
http://www.elle.com/life-love/society-career/skylar-neese-disappearance-twitter
http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/crimelaw/features/5646/

ChickenOfTomorrow has a new favorite as of 22:54 on Nov 18, 2014

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

Brian Dunning didn't sell Skeptoid. He just can't host it right now because he's in federal prison for massive fraud:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Dunning_%28author%29#Wire_fraud_case

He bilked amazon out of millions with malware he hid in banner ads.

thats weird in and of itself

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

snucks posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_5390
Airplane pilot windscreen retention bolts were too small, but the difference was imperceptible to the human eye so they were installed anyways. The windscreen flies off halfway through the flight, one of the pilots gets sucked out of the plane as the copilot hangs onto him. The copilot has to take an emergency landing while holding onto the pilot, as the flight attendants try and prevent people from freaking out at the sight of a presumably dead pilot smashing his frozen head against the plane's exterior.

Terrifying because of how such a small error can have such huge consequences in aviation, life-affirming that the situation was so well handled.

Amazing because Lancaster, the pilot, not only lived but was back at work flying less than five months after the accident.

:britain:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

None Dare Call It a Conspiracy: Who was behind the Moscow apartment bombings?

GQ ran this story in print in 2009 but Conde Nast wouldn't publish it online (or in Russia).

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

aaaaaag

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

hoodoo ain't scary, it's a traditionally-Black form of folk magic

not unnerving, but awesome - the nation sack:

Robert Johnson, Come In On My Kitchen posted:

COME ON IN MY KITCHEN (take 1)
Mmm mmm mmm mmm mmm mmm
mmm mmm mmm mmm mmm
Mmm mmm mmm mmm mmm
mmm mmm mmm mmm
You better come on
in my kitchen
babe, it's goin' to be rainin' outdoors

Oh-ah, she's gone
I know she won't come back
I've taken the last nickel
out of her nation sack
You better come on
in my kitchen
babe, it's goin' to be rainin' outdoors

A nation sack is a lady-only form of the mojo bag or gris-gris, a (usually flannel) pouch filled with magical items. Mojo bags can have many purposes but a nation sack is most often used in spells of domination over a husband or lover. it's kept close to the privates - often hanging from the waistband of a skirt - and if it's touched by a man it loses its power. the nickels in the nation sack were part of her spell so as well as stealing money from her he destroyed a source of power.

and yep, that's the source of the word "mojo" :)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Literally Kermit posted:

We had a situation with a local dam where they accidentally drilled an artisan well

bespoke artisanal water-source

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

pookel posted:

In 2001, an 8-year-old girl named Lauren was found locked in a closet in Texas

The Tampa Bay Times had this longform series about Dani, a child who was locked away and essentially 'feral' when DCF discovered her: The Girl in the Window. At the time I worked in FL in the area of child abuse prevention and was pretty desensitized to the horrors you'll read in DCF case notes but oh... man. She was 7 years old and weighed 46lb.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

and of course if you live in dallas you know you're doomed when the lewisville dam inevitably gives way

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Filox posted:

What the gently caress is wrong down there that they let this poo poo happen? I mean, a lot of what was wrong is outlined in the articles, but still, why the gently caress would it take any state that long to fix their poo poo when children's lives were at stake?

I really loving hate Florida right now.

Money and politics.

DCF is constantly fighting to receive adequate funds. Florida is required to have a balanced budget every year and welfare/entitlement programs are easier to cut because the people affected don't hire lobbyists.

ChickenOfTomorrow has a new favorite as of 22:44 on Jan 21, 2017

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Probably don't wanna be New York, either.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Thank you for these posts.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

and breaking news just as I was reading that article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2016/05/26/the-superbug-that-doctors-have-been-dreading-just-reached-the-u-s/

bye humanity, it's been a... a time

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

:toot:

ChickenOfTomorrow has a new favorite as of 22:32 on Jan 21, 2017

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Cumslut1895 posted:

Is society responsible for Schizophrenic people believing in Lizard-man conspiracies?

well maybe if society weren't full of lizard-people the people with schizophrenia wouldn't see them everywhere

e: ugh, worst snype. Here, have a link: http://kernelmag.dailydot.com/issue-sections/headline-story/16932/usenet-sharon-lopatka-consensual-murder/

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

hmmm

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

That's just the most stupid thing. People drown in old septic tanks occasionally because of retarded ideas like that. Bad mine capping sucks too..

On the other hand, free dining table!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Zodijackylite posted:

Euronymous, with spiked maul

That's one heck of an escalation from the ol' showerhead.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Nckdictator posted:

Really interesting article on Air Force One during 9/11. Worth a read. Copy/pasted some parts.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/09/were-the-only-plane-in-the-sky-214230

Full thing's in the link.

Well, that was an unexpected cloud-to-butt extension moment:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

That drat Satyr posted:

Shocking, I know right? Clearly that invalidates this entire years long hellish misery that an insane psychopath has drug me through. :allears:

Buy, and read, The Gift of Fear.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Wiggy Marie posted:

The total obsession with finding a man, and being considered a "spinster" at 29, even by her own mother's reckoning, sheds a pretty clear light on why she was the way she was. This woman graduated with a degree, had a career and was considered good at the job by those around her, and yet because she didn't have a husband she "had nothing." Yeesh.

:bernpop: so... the patriarchy was to blame

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Telsa Cola posted:

I would be down for some sort of charge levied at the estate of people who died in the pools based on the fact their body oils and poo poo probably mess up the pools in some way. Im pretty sure it would reduce the amount of idiots and if not well more money for parks is always a plus. Also a charge for messing with the animals would be nice.

Tears up sheet marked 'yellowstone suicide dive plan'

dammit

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I work murder and violent crime trials (albeit in the UK)

/
        /
------

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

MrFellow posted:

I live in Oakland, and the issue of "residential"/converted warehouses gets kind of complicated.

It's pretty well known (although anecdotal) that the city is aware that there are a lot of people living in converted warehouses that aren't up to code. The problem is that if an inspector shows up and red tags the building, the current occupants will move out, and then almost immediately the place will start to fill up with more transient residents, e.g. the homeless, or crusters, or drug enterprises. This leads to a whole different set of problems, including increased crime, blight, and general bother for the neighbors, all of which is going on in a warehouse that is still not safe for habitation. The City of Oakland has, apparently, decided to look the other way on code violations because they find the second scenario more distasteful than the first (not to mention, city services are woefully underfunded, and I'm positive that there aren't enough inspectors to cover the whole city). I'm in no way trying to slam Oakland's code and fire inspectors--I worked in a warehouse in Oakland, and whenever we pulled a permit for a fundraiser, they required us to submit a whole plan and would show up during events to make sure that we were following it.

I probably don't have to mention that the whole bay area is facing the dual problems of (1) not enough funding for a social safety net and (2) rapidly evaporating affordable housing, which leads to people living in unsafe converted buildings, which often leads to tragedy.

:smith:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

At the risk of returning this thread to "goons talk about boring poo poo that happens to them," I get p bad akathisia once or thrice a year, and Staker's right about it. Indica or high-CBD weed's the only thing that's ever allowed me to ignore it, and even then it's not complete relief.

there's this warning/prodromal/early sensation i get in my calves that's a lot like a trail of ants that relents as soon as i move the leg; after 2 or 3 of those within a couple of minutes i know clear out some pacing space and call out of work tomorrow, i ain't sleeping tonight

ChickenOfTomorrow has a new favorite as of 08:33 on Dec 8, 2016

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Children and minor celebrities are also supposedly given deferential treatment

free karpeles

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

its me, im the foaminator

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

re: "great" vs "big":

most of this thread wouldn't know a well-formed crumb if it bit them

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Jesus. You couldn't pay me enough money to be a white farmer in South Africa right now:

http://www.news.com.au/finance/econ...ate/news-story/

Tch, we're supposed to be eating the rich, not burying them alive.

The glaringly uneven balance of power that had persisted since the first slaves were put to work on the farms remained largely intact. “The spatial geography of apartheid has proved very resilient to change in the Cape Winelands,” Weeder says. “Land, land ownership, and the wealth associated with that are still firmly entrenched within white capital. For black people, moving out of the cycle of poverty is still very difficult without access to land.”

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

xtal posted:

Why don't people just leave their kids with the windows rolled down then

then someone'd steal the baby

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Caganer posted:

I first read that longread right before driving across the country for a job, and there are a lot of creepy as gently caress truck stops

how is your long-haul trucking career going anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Caganer posted:

i was actually going to san francisco to touch computers so obviously a very well adjusted and good person

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Reiser

I hear his wife's body was very well-compacted but they found it by looking at his journal.

Unfortunately now his children are orphaned inodes.