Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Crankit posted:

Was that aatrek?

Scary and unnerving? I'd say Byron Smith :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byron_David_Smith_killings

He parked his car behind his house and hid in the basement so that people would think no one was in, then he waited and he made a recording of the event when two teenagers broke in, and then he shot them. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/hear-graphic-audio-catches-moment-byron-smith-guns-teens-article-1.1776145

No it wasn't Aatrek.

The guy wasn't a goon at all, he just gets posted in these creepy threads a lot and for some reason people get it mixed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Dissapointed Owl posted:

This guy's testimony is one of the few things I wish I could unread.

Yeah, that's why I just linked to his fairly limited Wiki article instead of that.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Comstar posted:

Although Listverse seems to be quite happy to quote stories about mental telepathy, ESP, clairvoyance, spirit photography, telekinetic movement, full trance mediums, the Loch Ness monster and the theory of Atlantis, two I found were 10 mysterious cases involving unidentified people and 10 Mysterious Disappearances of Multiple People interesting. The best one is The Crew of the Sarah Joe.

The story dosn't mention if it was only supposed to be a 3 hour tour.

I don't know about most of them, but I do know that at least one of the families on that missing list was recently found. Unfortunately it didn't really answer a whole lot of questions, because they were all found buried in the desert and no one knows who did it or why exactly.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Sad Mammal posted:

A friend's dad once told a story about how a guy chugged bleach because he heard at work there would be a random drug screening and (dumbfuckily) thought drinking bleach would clean out his urine.

I'd imagine there's probably some that started off with "I wonder what would happen if...?" and "I bet/dare you..." too. People can be pretty dumb.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Ernie Muppari posted:

Man, he better have been trying to hide his terrible poo poo, otherwise this mostly looks like various US & AU medical boards being unwilling to do anything about a fantastically poo poo doctor even when his fellow medical staff are constantly trying to alert said boards to his shittiness.

Sorry to say it seems fairly common for doctors and nurses who kill to get away with it for a very long time, even if they're not really covering much up and colleagues have their suspicions. That's why they rack up some of the highest body counts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_of_Death_%28criminology%29

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

nucleicmaxid posted:

You can get durians in every Asian market ever, so I would assume only really rural Americans who also never watch food or travel shows wouldn't know what one is.

Not knowing what they smell/taste like I can see, but durians are certainly recognizable to at least a decent chunk of the population.

No they really aren't.

dpack_1 posted:

So is it just me or is everyone ignoring the fact that regardless of how natural gas smells in your part of the world, after 30-90 seconds it will induce a raging headache?

Problem is a lot of things can cause raging headaches and the first thought in your mind might not be "Oh there's a gas leak."

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Ague Proof posted:

You can never tell whether these uncaught killers were clever or just. Insanely lucky. The Zodiac was almost caught a few times, I think. Apparently a report for a person matching his appearance was made but the police missed him because the report they were given specified he was black. Gee, I wonder how that kind of mix up could have happened?

Well he had a close call the first time because he took the time to stop at a payphone not far from the sheriff's office to report one of his own crimes. And yeah the second time there were actually witnesses to the murder that described him, but for some reason the dispatcher told police to look for a black suspect so the cops most likely drove right past him because he just kind of walked away from the scene.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Until you go 100s of thousands of years into the past people all sort of look the same. Now here comes an anthropologist to tell me just how wrong I am.

Almost 200,000 years or so. Not to say people have always looked exactly the same as they do now - like early on, skeletal features would be more robust and a mix of modern/archaic (like big brows, but a rounded braincase, not so prognathic, etc.) But anatomically modern humans haven't changed too drastically all things considered. And at least some of the more recent differences like height could be traced to environmental stuff like better nutrition, medical care and not having to so as much hard physical labor day to day.

In short I'm saying you're basically correct when it comes to something as relatively recent as Tollund Man. But I'm not technically an anthropologist, it was just my undergrad major. :shrug:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

benito posted:

It really depends on how you define people.

Yeah, that's why I was sticking with the more specific "anatomically modern human" thing in my last post. Because even homo sapiens had another subspecies running around for a little while (which is why we've gotten the great name "sapiens sapiens" :v: ).

But by the time you get to Tollund Man most of those are gone, except maybe for floresiensis which allegedly might have hung around until the 16th or 19th century depending on what you believe.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Now how many similar artifacts do you suppose have been destroyed or lost throughout the ages?

I don't know about books, but there are records of people finding bog bodies in peat since at least the 17th century and probably further back than that. But usually they were given a regular burial so I'd assume they're pretty much lost by now. I've also heard of lot of them being accidentally damaged either by the people who found them or by bad attempts at preserving them outside the bog.

Speaking of, ancient mummies used to be ground up for medicine and fertilizer so there's no telling how many of those have been lost.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

benito posted:

"Here lies a boy, his last meal was dried out pork chops and burned dinner rolls. Perhaps there was a ritual significance."

:laffo: "Ritual significance" is sometimes (not always though) archaeologist-code speak for "I found this thing and I don't know what the hell it is or how it was used."

I debated posting about mellified man because this thread got me reading about mummies this morning. So instead I'll throw in the Xin Zhui, which I always thought was a little eerie because (besides looking gross) she was preserved enough for her joints to still be flexible and for an autopsy to be performed. The kicker is that they're still not 100% sure how she was preserved so well for 2000 years, though apparently scientists have come up with some "secret compound" to help. :raise:

And the really depressing but incredibly preserved Children of Llullaillaco. This one is known as "La Donchella" and is well preserved enough that they could diagnose her lung infection 500 years later with a swab:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Jeherrin posted:

Even though h was hanged, he looks like he's welcoming it. In fact, he was hung so carefully the cervical vertebrae weren't even damaged. This was not a quick death. This wasn't a drop and snap hanging. This was slow. The autopsy in 2002 showed his tongue as being distended, a classic symptom of hanging. And yet he looks like he's asleep. :psyduck:

Keep in mind that "hanging" as we think of it now, with the drop/broken neck wasn't really a thing until around the 19th century. Until then (and in the time of Tollund Man) hanging just meant putting a rope around someone's neck, suspending them and letting them strangle to death. Which might explain why his vertebrae weren't really damaged.

Freudian posted:

We don't know who this "Colonel Sanders" was, but we find it hard to believe he controlled all the territories which hold his garrisons. More likely he was an amalgamation of many petty conquerors, merged by folklore.

You joke, but stuff like this is exactly why I hated studying archaeology in college. We did an exercise once where the professor gave the class a fictional "site" and told them to interpret it. And pretty much everyone just did the "it was a religious/ritual object" thing and started making up elaborate scenarios with no evidence whatsoever. I understand there's a certain amount of filling in the blanks required when you're dealing with ancient evidence, but it got kind of ridiculous.

Cannibalism is another. I don't know what it is, but everyone wants to see cannibalism when they find any marks on a bone.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

LoonShia posted:

Getting kinda Fallout up in here.

It's fine, you just knock the skeleton off the bed and now you have a free motel room!

On that note, I don't know if it's been posted before but I found series of Chernobyl photos in another thread along with captions telling the story. This one is post accident, while the other two in the series are interesting before-accident photos of the plant and Pripyat. Apparently some guy is compiling them for a book.

Most of it is just rubble but there is one pretty :nms: photo of one of the liquidators in the hospital so be warned.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Praseodymi posted:

Holy poo poo, that's a blast from the past. I had a CD called something like 'How it's made', but probably not that, full of his stuff, lots of it animated.

In the topic of Chernobyl: I know there's not many disasters on the same scale, but I can't imagine any other country finding that many people willing to do a job they knew (I assume) would probably result in their deaths. Has there ever been anything requiring people like the liquidators?

Also, pictures like those at and make me wonder how the USSR didn't take over the world. With a labour force like that and some of the world's best STEM types. Was it just really inefficient at actually moving all the capital around the country to where it was needed?

A lot of them were purposefully not informed of exactly how dangerous it was so they didn't really know the risks. For instance, some of the firefighters that first responded had no idea the reactor had blown or that the smoke was dangerously radioactive, so they went in thinking it was a big electrical fire or something. The only reason Russia made the accident public at all was because foreign countries picked up the radiation release.

Plus if the Soviet government came to you with orders to go to Chernobyl I'm guessing refusing wasn't really an option. Not that there were no volunteers at all, just there was definitely coercion going on too.

Kimmalah has a new favorite as of 21:53 on Sep 13, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

RevSyd posted:

While we're on the topic of Chernobyl, I simply can't resist quoting this passage from the excellent and highly unnerving Atomic Accidents: A History of Nuclear Meltdowns and Disasters by James Mahaffey, because it is just so :ussr:

It also contains this great quote regarding nuclear power:

Goddamn, you're not kidding. "Eh, no biggie happens all the time. Pass me some more bait." :laffo:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Most Russians would probably have the same reaction to a bear coming up and screaming in their face. Living in Russia requires you to learn how to handle the craziest thing you've ever seen being replaced every hour.

Oh I know, I'm not surprised. But it still cracks me up that apparently disasters were so common at the plant that something that huge could be just "Oh well, another day at Chernobyl." Also a little frightening too I guess.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Yeah, it's seriously hosed that fires were commonplace at the plant. The more you hear about working conditions there, the more you wonder why it took so long for the place to meltdown catastrophically.

Apparently they actually had a partial core meltdown in another reactor in 1982. But they just fixed it and acted like it didn't happen. The plant also stayed in operation after the disaster for a few years, enough for reactor 2's turbine hall to catch on fire in 1991. :psyduck:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Wildeyes posted:

From a list of "10 Terrifying True Stories That Deserve Horror Movie Adaptations." Sorry if any of these have been posted:

The death of Elisa Lam, recounted on the wiki page for LA's Cecil Hotel

:stonk:

Here's the video of her elevator antics. The hotel ended up having to change its name because of this incident.

Not really an exact recreation, but they sort of already did make a horror movie about something like this except it was a little kid in an apartment complex water tank (who later haunts the place). :shrug: They even did an American remake.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

LawfulWaffle posted:

The video of her in the elevator is nothing short of unsettling. You tell me when the last time you walked onto an elevator and pressed the button for your floor, and nothing happened. She becomes agitated (as would I) and walks around, peeking out to see if there is someone or something down the hall. Eventually, since the elevator continues to refuse to do the one thing it's designed and maintained to do, she leaves and walks off, never to be seen alive again. And then the elevator doors close.

It's stronger proof to me that supernatural poo poo might exist than any UFO abduction story or other spiritual phenomena. Not that there haven't been other instances of elevators not doing what they should, but that being the last image of her before winding up in a water tank is pretty creepy. That image also shows how tall the cisterns are, and how small their openings are. Still ruled as an accidental death, so I hope she was able to get away from whatever she was hiding from.

She also had a history of bipolar disorder, which in its manic phase can manifest as really strange behavior or outright psychosis. It was also an old hotel, with elevators that were also probably old (as in they were probably just lovely elevators, not haunted elevators).

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Nckdictator posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Boeing_727-223_disappearance

Everything about this is just weird.

Edit: Just read this and now i'm depressed as gently caress.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Amy_Lynn_Bradley

It's really weird to just steal a plane like that, but from the sounds of he might have just crashed in the ocean somewhere. The airport is right on the coast and he seemed to be heading that way, but you can't just make a trans-oceanic flight spur of the moment without making sure you have proper fuel and everything. And as we've seen it's really easy to just lose a plane in the ocean.

tower time posted:

For anyone interested in the dyatlov pass incident, I'd recommend "Dead Mountain: the untold true story of the dyatlov pass incident." Its fairly recent and written by an American who traveled to Russia and went on the same path the hikers took. It's a mix of modern interviews, the travel, and translated journals of the hikers who died as they took the trip. He comes to a pretty convincing conclusion of what likely happened that doesn't involve the usual explanations of conspiracies, murder, or aliens. Was a really good read and a great summary of the incident.

Yeah a lot of the weirder stuff about Dyatlov Pass is either embellishment, completely made up or just the usual side-effects of severe hypothermia.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

Not sure if this is the place to ask but whatever happened to OTP-22?

I guess it's still going? It's an ARG with a pretty detailed wiki of its own, including a news page and timeline that I can't make heads or tails of since I'm unfamiliar with the whole thing.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Yeah it looks interesting, but it seems kind of confusing unless you've been following it from the start.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

bulletsponge13 posted:

Can someone give a TL; DR of what the poo poo this is?

Tried to shorten it as much as I could, from an FAQ:

quote:

It's an Alternate Reality Game.

Somebody has set up an elaborate telephone system that hands out clues. Sometimes the clues lead back to other parts of the telephone system. Sometimes they lead to physical dead drops, where we retrieve objects that lead back to ... the phone system.
What does it all mean?

The story, as we understand it, is that we have stumbled on the communications system of a spy ring. We are picking up messages that are intended for the spies. The spy ring is aware of us and refers to us as "counteroperations".

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Herv posted:

Before anyone flips about using nukes, here's Tokyo after a 'conventional' use of total war's logical insanity.

Would you like to be broiled or boiled?

e: Citation Provided

Logical Insanity, the most scary and unnerving.

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/tokyo.htm

Not you specifically but I've seen a few people talk about nuclear attacks like Hiroshima as if they were "better" than firebombing, etc. because of this idea that everyone just gets vaporized, but nuclear war has some awful poo poo all its own that you don't always hear about. Like the so-called "ant-walking alligator" people of Hiroshima:

quote:

In his book, Last Train to Hiroshima, Charles Pellegrino combed through thousands of eyewitness statements. Among the horrors of radiation poisoning and the initial firestorm, he uncovered one ‘creature’ unique to the atomic wasteland: the ‘ant-walking alligators’.

They had once been human. When the sky exploded, they’d had the misfortune to survive. Faces turned to the blast, the skin had been seared from their skulls; leaving only a black, leathery substance without eyes or features. All that remained was a red hole where their mouths had once been. They staggered about the outskirts of Hiroshima, avoided by other survivors – but the real horror was the sound they made. According to Pellegrino:

“The alligator people did not scream. Their mouths could not form the sounds. The noise they made was worse than screaming. They uttered a continuous murmur — like locusts on a midsummer night. One man, staggering on charred stumps of legs, was carrying a dead baby upside down.”

None of them survived for long. In most modern accounts of the bombing they’re noticeably absent.

The article is here (includes possibly :nms: photo of a scarred survivor for anyone who's squeamish).

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Wildeyes posted:

Also, from what I've read, Japanese schools don't obsessively hammer in every detail about the atrocities committed by imperial Japan, like the way Germany does, so to keep that "sweep it under the rug" charade going, I suppose you also don't want to bring up anything another nation may have done in retribution.

I don't know that it's so much that they don't go into detail about it. There's been a lot of controversy about Japanese textbooks being edited in ways to minimize, whitewash or completely omit WWII atrocities.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

bean_shadow posted:

Speaking of radiation, how about Human Radiation Experiments by the United States?

Albert Stevens was "misdiagnosed" with stomach cancer so that he could be "treated" with plutonium. He did live 20 years with plutonium in his system, though. Six employees at a Chicago plant were given water infested with plutonium so it could be shown how it's dealt with in the digestive tract. More than 800 pregnant women were given "vitamin drinks" laced with radioactive iron, to see if it would cross the placenta. And of course the retarded children given radioactive mush to eat.

Of course the whole article is depressing.

Yeah that was the amazing time in history when pretty much every health or technology related issue would be solved with "Hmm, can we somehow blast it with radiation or strap a nuke on it?"

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Frostwerks posted:

I wonder if that's the inspiration for the monkey in Come and See.

Yes it is. The whole movie was inspired by him apparently.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Nckdictator posted:

Going to be interesting to hear more details. How could one guy kill a family of four without a neighbor or the like hearing?

Their house was pretty much your average standalone suburban home with a decent amount of space between neighbors. Combine that with soundproofing from stuff like insulation/walls/windows etc. it's not exactly outside the realm of possibility.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Esp. if no firearms were involved.

Sounds like they were beaten to death, so probably no gunshots.

It's also worth noting that I've heard a lot of crime accounts where people have heard noises but chalked them up to mundane stuff like arguments or people just being rowdy. Generally their first thought isn't "I heard a commotion, must be a murder!" That's a big part of what happened with the Kitty Genovese murder, for example.

Kimmalah has a new favorite as of 03:47 on Nov 9, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Some of it is probably because district attorney (and maybe some others) is often an elected position. So they'll go out of their way to make sure they get reelected. Which usually means getting convictions at all costs so they have good numbers they can trot out come election time and never ever admitting to mistakes that might make them look bad.

The general public usually doesn't give a poo poo because they just look for someone who's "tough on crime," which in my experience means "don't pay attention to anything that *criminal* says, lock 'em up and throw away the key."

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Sebastian Vettel posted:

I'm pretty sure the case has been brought up before, but there's that literal cannibal who is a celebrity there.

His release was really France's fault, Japan couldn't legally hold him in custody because they couldn't get the necessary court documents. The celebrity thing is bizarre though.

There's also that murderer that was released under a new name, but apparently is still considered dangerous enough that they notified the public that he's out there.

Kimmalah has a new favorite as of 11:52 on Dec 19, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-video-cnn-will-play-when-the-world-ends-1677511538

So were you ever curious what the last thing shown on earth would/or would have possibly been?

Here's your answer at least for CNN.

I do wonder if any other networks have stuff like this..and like what they're to do in the event of some sort of major diaster.

I think they took the video down unfortunately.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

The North Tower posted:

You show them one of these: https://www.google.com/search?q=goa...iw=1248&bih=764
And realize that goat.se isn't even on the front page. And cry. And be very sad.

From what I remember of my archaeology classes in college, they'll probably just be like "Hmm, yes this gaping anus clearly had some ritualistic significance." If you don't know what the hell it is or what it means - just say it was used in a ritual.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

The Endbringer posted:

This is exactly what I was going to say. If piles of skulls and skeletons impaled on pikes doesn't say "Do not enter, you will die," I don't know what will.

Or they'll just research the site in-depth like they do with ancient burials people find today. :shrug: Unfortunately I think it'll be really hard to overcome human curiosity. If they're lucky, even if people forget what the site was specifically used for there might still be a taboo surrounding the place that's passed down. Especially if the first few guys that went never came back or do but die of radiation sickness (which would probably seem like a mummy's curse if you didn't understand it).

Kimmalah has a new favorite as of 13:26 on Jan 8, 2015

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

BattleMaster posted:

I'm studying nuclear engineering (4th year undergraduate) and I've found these projects to scare off future explorers to be really silly and irresponsible. They're all predicated on the idea that you'll be trying to communicate with primitive hunter-gatherers, with concepts like "no honor here" and other things like you're talking to a Klingon.

I think there are two problems with that. First, almost anything you can try will just make people curious or wonder what treasure you're trying to hide. Second, why the hell are you putting your waste somewhere that primitive tribesman can find it?! Even if they don't find it or your warnings work, it will be close enough to the surface that you're risking contaminating the water table in the event of a leak.

Just stick that poo poo so deep that anyone who finds it will be advanced enough that they'll have radiation detection equipment.

But that's hard and expensive. :qq:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Jisae posted:

On the subject of incorruptibles, there was the mystery of the body of Rosalia Lombardo in which she was soo well emblamed it looked like she was just asleep. Until recently, no one knew what technique the embalmer used, as he died before anyone was able to ask him how he did it. However, the mystery has since been solved when they found a memoir written by the embalmer where he described his technique. Not as unnerving a case anymore, the last time I read about it was actually before they had found the process notes!

There's also the mummy of Xin Zhui, which was preserved well enough to still be soft/flexible and autopsied after 2,000 years. Supposedly they've developed some "secret compound" to preserve her further, but I don't know if anyone's ever figured out exactly how it was done in the first place.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Astrofig posted:

There's one who was a two year old who died of pneumonia. She blinks!

That's not so much a "true" incorruptible, she's just a girl who was embalmed really really well.

Really the place she's buried in is pretty creepy, but also kind of fascinating if you're into stuff like historical dress.

Kimmalah has a new favorite as of 17:38 on Jan 12, 2015

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

HUMAN FISH posted:

Motel of the Mysteries is pretty funny. It depicts an archaeologist from 4022 studying a normal motel room (and other things).

"A statue of the deity WATT, who represented eternal companionship and englightenment, stood faithfully next to the platform."

"Everything in the Outer Chamber faced the Great Altar (No. 1), including the body of the deceased, which still lay on top of the Ceremonial Platform (No. 5). In its hand was the Sacred Communicator (No. 3)"
(TV, bed, remote control)

The thing I said earlier about "ristualistic purposes" was actually something told to me by one of my professors who was an archaeologist. He was joking around of course, but I think only partially in this case.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

Are you really just now learning about that

I went to school in the U.S. and Japan's atrocities like Nanking were never really covered or mentioned at all, even though we went over WWII and stuff like the Holocaust pretty much every year from probably 5th grade onward. I could easily see how someone might not know about it.

Come to think of it there wasn't even that much about the Pacific theater in general other than "Pearl Harbor happened and then we dropped some nuclear bombs a while later." It was pretty much all Hitler and Holocaust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Gibfender posted:

It's Hitlers all the way down

More like enough pictures of mass graves and dead bodies to give me nightmares as a kid. :smith: