Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

But in the blackish color, not the camo. Now to try and undo all the stupid things Android, ATT, and Samsung thing I want to be notified about. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

OSU_Matthew posted:

Nice! How do you like it? Are you planning on getting a protective case?

I ask because the first thing I did with my S4 active was water log it and then shatter the screen, all in the span of fifteen minutes :cripes:

Last time I ever say "hey, I bet your phone can't do this! :v:"

My S3 only got a "protective case" when the original backing plate no longer stayed on from too many drops. Then the case I bought would only fit over the Samsung Official Extended Battery without the backing plate. Eventually that was literally falling apart in my hands from too many drops and 6 months later I broke down and bought a new phone.

I hate the screen, it's too reflective. The OS itself is a nice upgrade over 4.1.1 (to 6.0.1) in that it's WAY easier to tell apps to gently caress off (notifications, staying awake in the background, etc), but ATT has a bootup sound you cannot disable, and it keeps asking me to upgrade various things. I told the lady I would not accept the phone if it continued to make that noise, she eventually found an app for me. Yes, I would roll back the whole transaction because it makes a noise I cannot shut off. I hate consumer hardware.

No. I've never bought a case for a phone. I've also never cracked a screen on a phone, and I drop it all the time.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PCOS Bill posted:

I'd have assumed they provide phones to celebrities as a form of advertising, Mr. Fox.

I assume there is some hilarious burn/troll/joke here but I'm pretty dense.

DirtyFalcon posted:

Moving back from Australia and needed a car.
Bought new Focus RS

Congrats! I've gone in a ride in a coworkers and they sound downright angry at you, personally. It's lovely. :3:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Roots Radical posted:

Michael J.

Actually my favourite thing PCOS has posted.

PCOS Bill posted:

I'd have assumed they provide phones to celebrities as a form of advertising, Mr. Fox.

:golfclap:

(I have always dropped my phones. I was quite worried going from a blackberry (under duress) to a the Galaxy S3. Thing held up like a champ. This is the first phone I've owned without parts to come apart to absorb shock.)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

How can a size be 0. Isn't that a size nothing? I'm so thin I can wear nothing!

Don't find out about 00 then.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Side Effects posted:

Went on a book buying spree recently and decided to actually count how many I bought:

I recall really liking alas, babylon, hopefully it holds up to my memory of it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

cyberia posted:

I got one of these:

It's an Xduoo 3 mp3 player because I'm a special snowflake who doesn't want an iPod. It can store up to 256gb of music (across two 128gb micro SD cards) and plays flac files which is the format I use for most of my music. Can't wait to be able to carry around the bulk of my music collection and listen to it whenever I want.

This looks cool. When my sandisk mp3 player croaks I might get one. Where did you buy this?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I legit thought this was vaping pens and liquid and was all ready to decry your use of the word hobby.

At first I thought these were supplies to paint cat nails.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bear with me, the rear door to our house is original, west-facing, has a dog door cut into it (we will never own a dog), a single pane window, and I can see light coming in from under it in the afternoon. Replacing it with a fiberglass half-window double-panel door w/ double pane glass and internal blind. I'm excited to have something with a blind on it that actually seals all the way around with a hint of heat insulation in the window.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Toast Museum posted:

I tried about eight brick-and-mortar stores today, and not one had cocktail glasses smaller than, like, 7.5 ounces. Most cocktails that are served straight up are somewhere between two and four ounces and would look like the dregs of a much larger drink in the giant glasses most places sell. I eventually found what I was looking for on Amazon: 6 each of 4.5oz cocktail glasses, 6oz champagne flutes, and 5.5oz coupes.

Keep it classy. It's a pet peeve of mine to serve drinks in the wrong glassware. One day I will probably own 5 different styles of wine glasses.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

mfcrocker posted:

Champagne flutes are basically always wrong though; they don't offer any aroma at all. Just use a bloody wine glass

Tiffany flutes are nice, they don't narrow at the top and you get a pretty reasonable nose out of more delicate champagnes. We use our bulk cheap flutes for mimosas ($10-15 sparkling wine, OJ, float of grand mariner). Otherwise for middling champagne I just toss it in a big red glass maybe with an ice cube and call it a day.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Pro-tip, avoid old crystal glassware, especially things like decanters. Lead is/was a component in crystal glass, and it's possible for it to leach out, especially if you've got alcohol stored in a decanter for a long period of time.

Says the guy who bought the house with asbestos siding and lead paint

We have a bunch of old leaded crystal. We don't store anything in it for that very reason, just use it for immediate drinking.

:ssh:

I wonder if my 1947 house with plaster walls has lead? Hint: There's a reason I bought the 8-pack instead of the 2-pack.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

Since this is pyf recent purchase and shoe chat, does anyone know any places that carry wide shoes? Or good brands that even make them? I can't find poo poo outside of boots.

Zappos. Screw everyone else. 15 4E here and good luck in a store.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

This has changed the QoL in our house to a huge degree. We can now do such crazy things as use the kitchen sink while someone is in the shower. Or flush a toilet while someone is in the shower. Or really have seemingly any number of faucets on at once now. (Vintage 1946 galvanized pipes with no regulator replaced with copper all the way to the street.)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

TotalLossBrain posted:

Were the old pipes rusted much inside?

That's what I see going on with some of ours in a 1950's home and I am not looking forward to the fixes.

I only peaked inside the supply line, but it looked more like a drip irrigation system. The rest of the pipes I didn't see them remove. Honestly it was a really easy process (because we don't have lead in our walls): 1. Get 2 or 3 quotes (hard), 2. Pick one (easy), 3. They bang it out in a day (1 day of no water), next day the inspector comes, next day the drywall/plaster people come. 4. Prime and paint.

If you need to live in the house between the re-pipe and the patching you have to clean up the dust twice, otherwise just once. Get a HEPA filter for your vacuum and a NIOSH mask for your face and vac every surface, wet mop, and wipe down with a wet rag everything else. Run the fan on your central air if you have a sufficiently good filter in it, don't if you don't. Replace it after the air clears up.

We also bought some box fans and stuck a 20x20x2" high filtration filter onto them to clean up the air. I hope. :ohdear:

It was all in all less bad than I feared. We have a crawl space so the number of walls they had to open up was limited.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

frogbs posted:

I'm going to have to do the exact same thing on the house we just bought.

Any reason you went with copper over pex?

Superstition.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Totally TWISTED posted:

Copper will last longer than pex, and I think this is more true with some of the less lasting crimping methods for attaching pex components as well. Now of course copper will be more expensive than pex by quite a bit. I don't know enough details on this to be in depth but that's the basics of it.

I mean in general of course, Hawk being superstitious is it's own thing :)

Mainly the arguments seem largely to depend on who you ask so I chose not to engage. I personally "trust" copper more, it tends to be either working or not with no middle ground vs plastic components which can be hard to tell if it's done wrong/cheaply out of the gate. The fewer fittings on PEX is compelling. Copper is antimicrobial which is cool. My gut feeling is we're less likely to find out copper pipes with unleaded solder causes cancer later on in life.

It added around $1000 iirc, my total bill out the door with patched walls was $8,350 cash. 1 bathroom, kitchen, laundry, service to the street, water heater pressure relief to the side of the house, and some misc work tying into the irrigation with a new shutoff.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

frogbs posted:

Wow, that's more expensive than I thought it would be. How many SQ ft is your house?

Cue everyone in this thread checking the pictures above their toilets...

1250 w/ crawl space. $1000 of that was copper over pex, I think $1000 of it was trenching to the street. Not that the guy who hand dug that trench in our 50% rock by volume dirt is seeing $1,000 but I paid it, Moen replacement single-handle setup for the shower+tub, and a bunch of new quarter turn valves. This was with several competitive quotes, and we went with the reputable plumber in the area. I see 3 of their trucks around town on any given day. They're fixing one silly design choice they made for free because it was silly, even though to the letter of the contract it's A-OK. (Ran the irrigation cutoff to the middle of our patio wall where it sticks out like a sore thumb rather than over to the side where the balance of the irrigation controls reside.) Now that I'm home I can see I paid $8,291.

Funny story, one morning as a teenager I was awoken to my dad replacing moulding along the floor of a hallway. Tap-BANG, Tap-BANG, Tap-BANG-FUCKFUCKFUCK-doorslammingnoises and then there was no water in the house. He found where the water line was run for the back side of the house! Just a wee nail he drove home right into the pipe.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Re pex vs. copper -- pex doesn't freeze and burst if it's installed on an uninsulated exterior wall, but the quality and longevity of fittings are all over the map... Soooo :shrug:

Thank god I live in Los Angeles county. The one set of pipes in an exterior wall is insulated. The walls are plaster so any pinhole leak should be pretty readily apparent. If it's under the house :shrug: . Damned if you do damned if you don't / the joys of home ownership.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PromethiumX posted:

just out of curiosity was your whole issue that you couldn't flush the toilet without robbing hot water from the shower? It just seems extreme to literally replace all piping to the meter because you needed a regulator. Also what about CPVC? It's even cheaper than pex and is solvent welded together.

I guess I am wondering who told you that you needed to replace the entirety of your water system.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lifespan+of+galvanized+pipes : 2016 - 1946 = 70.

I should have stuck with superstition. There were many other problems with our plumbing than just needing a regulator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1slibJ52yoc

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

First time I've seen buying Harbor Freight tools described as being "set for life."

Perhaps he's factoring in the untimely demise?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Coolnezzz posted:

Leased a 2016 Mazda6 Sport. It's pretty cool I guess.

Thread is purchases jeez.
:goonsay:

nice car

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

I bought the 5(?) Resident Evil Blu-Ray collection because it was only $28 and I love terrible movies.

...and I had a couple drinks.

I may or may not need a link to this. Edit: I plan to start drinking in an hour.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Amazon. I don't have the link on hand but it is there.

I am now drunk and you are a failure. Like those people who didn't get my leasing joke.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

black.lion posted:

you should get it colored, looks incomplete. lines are a bit wonky. i see a swastika. rampant appropriation of alien culture by a white person. it's upside down.

think i covered everything, cool tattoo.

How much did you pay. I would have gotten it different.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

I am super excited. Our current fan a) exhausts into the attic b) is extremely loud c) very old. This fan is none of those things. Last week the fan even got its own dedicated switch separate from the lights!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Lawen posted:

I also bought some Motive Pure after hearing Derek Waters (of Drunk History) and Katie Nolan talking on a podcast about how it's a miracle hangover preventative. Worth a shot.

Why not $1/bottle gatorade?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

And now the house (and a couple random fence planks) is clean!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

You should really stop wearing free t shirts by 30. Exceptions for you alma matters.

:ohdear: I bought a dozen hoodies off Amazon (free returns!) and then a vendor dropped off really comfy ones I am torn what do I do also I am wearing a different vendors shirt under said hoodie.

Can I still PYF purchase if I tried to buy it? Close your eyes, imagine a full zip hoodie with the zipper on wrong side. (Still in the front, just on the left instead of the right.) It's confusing to operate.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

The Science Goy posted:

That was a women's hoodie.

That is what I suggested as well. No one believes me. I am still wearing it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Night Danger Moose posted:

2016 Ford Focus ST. Manual recommends 89.

Mind = Blown. I didn't know cars took mid-range.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

High octane seems to make quite a bit of difference in turbocharged engines.. I used to believe we should always go with the lowest until we got a brand new car and the loving ridiculous turbo lag just went away upon using the recommend 95 RON the first time we had to fill it. The dealer evidently used the cheapest fuel and the ecu didn't like it

But yeah go with the cheapest if your engines naturally aspirated. Had a BMW NA straight six and it didn't make a wink of difference whether I pumped 91 or 98

You should go with whatever your manual suggests. I didn't realize there were cars on the market that suggested 89.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

I always had major problems with eye strain and image clarity on modern LCD displays. A friend got me to try out a cheap old CRT and it made a huge difference. It's pretty obvious that all of the monitor "advances" over the last 25+ years are just BS sold to us by BIG MONITOR to make us buy new things that we do not need.With CRTs, a replacement pack of 6 costs less than one new LCD does too.

You might consider testing if it's IPS vs. TN LCD panels, and matte vs gloss. TN or gloss give me headaches and eye strain, matte IPS monitors do not.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

:downsgun:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bought it on black friday for $69. Finally got to plug it in today after a hilarious story where it went home with the wrong person on christmas.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Oh buddy.
Ooooooooh buddy.

Go buy a beef roast. Saute some onion in there, deglaze with red wine, add two cups of chicken stock and the roast on high for 40 minutes.
Cheap and SO GODDAMN good.

We have more recipes right now than available stomach space. People are crazy over this thing, holy crap. My wife just told me she wanted one for christmas and that it was super on sale. I had no idea the cult until I started looking around. So far we've made hard boiled eggs (SO EASY), green beans (need a steamer basket, came out under), and rice. We're going to meal plan this weeks dinner in it and hit up the grocery store tomorrow.

Jerry Cotton posted:

So how does it create pot?

Got me so far the highest I've gotten is huffing whatever burned off from manufacturing in China. Bullshit if you ask me.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Pick posted:

Hard-boiled eggs are also perfectly easy in a non-instant, non-smart pot. How the gently caress did you feed yourself before overpriced gadgetry

You also still managed to gently caress up green beans. Apparently the rice made it out okay, whew

:confused:
+

Inzombiac posted:

Oh buddy.
Ooooooooh buddy.

Dr. Light posted:

Just made beef stew in mine last night - super good! I also make single serving oatmeal in this; add 1/4 cup steel cut oats, 3/4 cup whatever liquid you want (I normally do vanilla soy milk), and any spices/fruit/nuts you want into a mason jar. Cover the jar in aluminum foil and cook at 15 min on high pressure. You can fit three pint jars in the cooker. Jars can be emptied into a bowl and reheated in the microwave, or just eaten as is from the fridge; either way is good! Easiest way to make steel cut oats I've ever done. I like to add apple sauce and cinnamon to mine - it tastes like apple pie!

Also, 1-2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken thighs + 1 jar salsa + cook for 12 min = the easiest pulled chicken you can make in a half hour!

Neat trick on the oats. We accidentally bought steel cut once and threw out half the can. We might buy them again with this thing! We've decided on baby back ribs for tonight, carnitas tacos for 2 nights and a chicken stew for the other 2 nights. These will be the first things which aren't just "lets see what happens if we put stuff in our pantry into the pot to see what happens." We are excited.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Tres Burritos posted:

You know how the whites will stick to the shell sometimes though? Industrially made hard boiled eggs are made in a pressure chamber specifically because it make the shells fly right off. It's fantastic.

One of the eggs the shell literally popped in half when I went to roll-crush it on the plate. The egg fell out and nearly rolled onto the floor. I was blown away! It's also so easy to get them perfect every time even doing a whole dozen at once, far fewer rubbery eggs for me.

In keeping with the theme of the thread, I just got back from our local discount grocer and now am the proud owner of:

Pick posted:

No, I'm someone who knows how to cook hard-boiled eggs without a robot.

Can you let me know how to turn on my porch light without a robot because I got one for christmas it is literally going to increase my electric bill by around $5/year. (13w bulb / 1000= .0013kw * 5 extra hours a day * 365 days a year * 20¢/kwh (ish) right?)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

chicagobutters posted:

A diagnostic tool for my car.

Why this over Carly?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iViNi.bmwhatFull

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

betterinsodapop posted:

Yes! I'm glad to know that it's worth the money. Thanks for the info!

It really is amazing the difference in coverage and flow for the high dollar gallons compared to the contractor value paint. Once you get your brush or roller really loaded with paint it is smooth sailing all the way across a room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

chicagobutters posted:

E90

I got this over Carley as I really don't want to rely on wireless transfers for anything related to my car. I can buy a cable and buy beefier software for my laptop if I need to code anything and felt this was a nice in between for my needs. The Schwaben also has additional BMW modules over the standard Foxwell NT510 with BMW software out of the box.

Link it? I have an E89 and want to do things like be able to change my own battery. I have resisted pulling the trigger on Carly for now, but I also can't get the loving "safety inspection" light to reset despite doing the magic reset dance and getting the little "thinking" clock. I have reset other lights after doing maintenance.