Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I found a copy of this at a rummage sale for $1:

My god. I didn't think any copies existed in the wild!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
man the Speedmaster is a Good Watch but goddamned the poo poo Omega put on the back of it to try and sell the MOON APPROVED CREDENTIALS is loving embarrassing.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

H110Hawk posted:

We use this recipe, but without any beans: https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-chili/ Browning the meat is hard. I might do it in a pan next time. (I won't.) Fish sauce and cocoa powder are really key.

I am currently making this in a slowcooker and first taste test is real good.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

strap on revenge posted:

e: also lol what kind of job interview would that shirt be appropriate for

Bar staff at the Oaks?

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
I recently purchased a comprehensive guide to the average temperatures in all major american cities

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

evobatman posted:

12 broken walkmans, because apparently I hate my own sanity.

The plural of walkman is walksmen. 12 broken walksmen

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Desert Boots good. Beeswax desert boots extra good.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Flipperwaldt posted:

True on the former, false on the latter. The change to soda lime glass was well before the brand was sold off and the logo changed.

E: the color of the glass is a better tell.

There might have been a short period where that wasn't true during the sell-off but for new stuff it's entirely true - both are still in production in different places

European 'PYREX' is made in France from borosilicate glass, 'Pyrex' is made in the US from soda lime.
I'd imagine that the US only gets soda lime these days and borosilicate PYREX can only be found second hand but in Australia you can find both of them new on shelves next to each other.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Ooh, that’s a good buy! Tumi is some amazing quality poo poo, I’ve got a laptop briefcase and it’s absurd how heavy duty the zips are. Plus the serialized and registered luggage is nice if airports ever lose it.

Nice! I am bread is a good laugh, definitely worth the sale price

For content, bought a bulldozer Lego set so I could build the Killdozer :3:

Man, I don't wanna be that guy but if you haven't seen it, watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvl_7_Up7zU

dude wasn't a 'man pushed too far by an uncaring faceless bureaucracy', he was rear end in a top hat who made lovely decisions and couldn't bear to take responsibility for the consequences, despite people bending over backward to accommodate him.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The Sony shock protection made music sound like absolute rear end.

I don't remember that being the case - wasn't the shock protection just having a 2-second read ahead buffer or something like that to prevent audible skips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

njsykora posted:

It had to compress the music to fit in that buffer, so depending on how much memory Sony put in a model it could sound fine or be crunched down to absolute rear end levels. It’s super model dependant as far as i know, which is why people want either models that don’t have it or models that can turn the buffer off. Let’s be honest if you have a discman in 2024 you’re probably not walking around with it.

Yeah I'm struggling to find a solid reference as even Sony's various implentations seems to be devoid of any real documentation, but from what I can see, appears there were versions that just had an uncompressed RAM buffer to enable short skip protection, and then there were versions that would actually read ahead and store it as compressed ATRAC for longer periods, which is always gonna kill the quality.