Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

IcedTeaBottle posted:

I didn't see anyone else post this one, but I ordered the Hyperkin 5 last year and finally got it like a month ago. For a hunk of plastic it plays a lot of games with the ability to save them anytime you want to the system or an SD card.

I wouldn't buy it yet until it drops down back to it's regular price or at least hopefully it drops back down. It is thought totally worth a purchase if you have a lot of Sega, NES, SNES, GB games, etc. The controller isn't very good (even if Bluetooth) so other controllers would be a nice plus if you have them.

My friend (and follow goon) bought this for me as a gift:

So far I've played it in a 6 person group and it was fun. A bit like CAH, but still different enough that they are both nice options to play with a large group.

I'd love to have a Retron5 on my tv, but at this point I have sold so many of my old NES and SNES games that it just doesn't make sense to not have an HTPC running an emulator/Steam Big Picture running Ice.

Having said that, I will probably get one of those at some point when I move to my next place for the dozen or so carts I still have because they're my favorite games anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Or just use the Wiimote sideways. Pretty sure the SNES controller and "correctly" was a :thejoke:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I can quit any time.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

tomstuart posted:

About a 45 minute drive south from jaco is manuel antonio national park. it has a sweet 1-2km hike to a secluded cove beach that is the prettiest beach i've ever seen in person.

When I went to that national park we had this whole day planned of hiking, we hit that beach and were there for the rest of the day and is going to single handedly bring us back. It was amazing.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Getting cold out and my dog won't eat enough food to put on a few warmth pounds, got the handsome little bastard a coat nicer than mine:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

http://www.billywolfnyc.com/

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

To go with my Zelda DS Lite, 3DS, and 3DS XL. Got problems.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Where did you find one in stock damnit?

Got the skull kid pack from Gamestop when they were up, and ended up grabbing the console when Best Buy had them in stock.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

dreesemonkey posted:

Breaking blades, plastic gears, poor warranty support. The usual. I don't think I'll be too hard on it so it should at least last a while, I hope.

My roommates came broken and has been sitting on top of our cabinets ever since.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Fozaldo posted:

Small gift to myself for being dragged around the shops on my wife's birthday.

This thread is a good place to ask as every time I see someone post a good whisk(e)y it turns into a page of tears of joy. Friend is getting married soon, love for booze rivals his love for his fiance. Any consensus for a good $100-150 range bottle to gift?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

SaltLick posted:

Feather blades forever.

I found Feathers to be terrible in my first DE razor and didn't come to appreciate them until I had gotten an adjustable. My portable kit still uses the fixed gap DE razor and Astras, while my home setup uses a Fatboy + Feathers. Love that thing, way too tempted to pick up a better condition gold one than the beat up one I have. That and I am currently taking a break from shaving to be bearded.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Scarf posted:

Nice! Yeah I've got some friends who own a donut shop and I think they're gonna try and do a small batch of beer donuts with my spent grain.

I'm a big fan of ESBs, English Pales, and Kolsch, so I'm gonna shoot for an english pale to start.

:golfclap:

It is such a great hobby, my 20 gallon keggerator is sitting in my parents basement because my current place just doesn't have room for 5 gallon carbs or 7.5 gallon conicals or anything else. I'm going to start doing 1-3 gallon batches in bottles just to get back into it this spring because god drat I miss my saturday/sunday OCD fest.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

derekcooper posted:

I bought a Lamy Safari fountain pen. I had heard good things and I have not been let down. This pen is amazing.

This has been my go to pen for years now as other (more expensive) fountains come and go.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Treat yo self.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

beato posted:

They replaced all the old chairs with these in my old job, they're really uncomfortable for long periods of time.

I had one at my old office and wanted to sleep in it every day until I lost my desk and started working out of the house. Set it up right.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

App13 posted:

The trick is to get one cheap from a failed startup. A guy near me sells Aerons for $150 and Leaps for $300, I went with the aeron

For that cost I'd have gotten one years ago. I've been trolling craigslist for a while but never been able to get a cheap one, figured that with my bonus I would just say gently caress it and get it- I spend more time at this desk than I do in my bed so it will probably be worth it. Does the guy near you happen to be in the NYC vicinity or ship? For that cost I would probably get another chair for the second workstation in my office.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Vintimus Prime posted:

Thinking this weekend will be the time.

Bike or gun part?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Oneiros posted:

:circlefap: One day I'll have the space to devote to home brewing.

All of my gear, including 20 gallon kegerator and 10 gallon mash tun, is currently stored in my parents basement. Really hoping my next place has the room to set it all back up.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Reverse Centaur posted:

The idiot rear end in a top hat who has the parking space under my unit has four.

There is a guy on my block in Manhattan with four bikes. rear end in a top hat will park them sideways between poo poo or halfway up the curb whenever alternate sides hits.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Lascivious Sloth posted:

do you often stand int he rain writing notes?

I use this stuff in the shower all the time. Best ideas come in there.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Etrips posted:

XB270HU - 1440p + 144Hz + Gsync = Yes, please!

Will get an ultrawide later on in the next two years when tech improves.

Congrats. I'm still eyeballing/holding out.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Coredump posted:

Trying way to hard here.

Also for my recent purchase I just preordered the Steam controller on Amazon.

Can't imagine the situation where I'd want to use this instead of a kb/m or a 360 controller.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

I bought a bunch of expensive toy spaceships because I'm an adult goddamnit. To be fair, I got a great deal and paid like 55% retail.

Was there a Coolstuffinc sale or something?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

The $130 Baratza Encore works just fine for almost everything except espresso.

I use mine for espresso without issue, actually.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

I'm thinking of picking up a Daedalus to replace my G700s because this thing has the battery life of a gnat and I have no need for a wireless mouse.

I use Eneloop Pros in my G700 with a recharger always holding onto 4. Takes all of 20 seconds to swap out every 2-3 days. If you've just been using the same rechargeable battery that came in the thing, yeah its going to have poo poo charge. Or just use the cable that came with it and treat it like a wired mouse. I've been using logitech G series mice for a decade at this point and can't really imagine using anything else.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

I swap the cable between the mouse and keyboard as needed (every other day) but getting some better batteries is probably a good idea.

Enough batteries to fill the 4 charger + your peripherals will cost you $20 and it will save you so much headache.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Tindjin posted:

Just finished the Name of the Wind, really enjoyed it. Can't wait for the next one.

Get ready to be disappointed.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

V for Vegas posted:

Now to get a 1440 monitor to really push some pixels.

I was about to pull the trigger on this before realizing that the only games I play on my PC anymore are Blizzard games that could run on a toaster. Maybe next year.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Why yes, I would love to blow half my bonus in one day.

Not pictured:
Two new desks, a new bedframe, a new mattress, a new tv stand, and a new bookshelf from IKEA.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

fyallm posted:

He got all of that with half his bonus, but still requires a window unit and no central air? weird

NYC.txt

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

A lot of professions use an annual/quarterly "bonus" that represents like 25-75% of you annual income.

SF buddy works in finance and gets a salary of $75k, and a "bonus" of $75k. You try your best to survive off of your salary and use your bonus to do things like pay off the CC debt you accumulated that year, fund 401k, IRA, take a vacation, and do your impulse spending (all in one epic swoop)

This is not that - if you are banking on a bonus to get by you need to redo your budget. I generally take like $1k of my bonus and go on a shopping spree and put the rest into my brokerage/down payment fund/wedding fund (and use it as an opportunity to top off the 401k), but this one overlapped with me winning a fight with NJ dept of taxation so I got $5k back from them, and the fiancee and I decided not to move out of our apartment so we aren't putting down first/last/security that the bonus was earmarked for. So it was a pretty perfect storm of cost avoidance and windfall. Still to come: lots of MeUndies boxer briefs and a tasting menu dinner at Momofuku Ko.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

KingColliwog posted:

Those inks are fantastic. Way too expensive, but fantastic!

I started exploring their ink range when I started expensing my ink. So good.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Well there is my brother's christmas present.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

fyallm posted:

Someone posted this eariler and I just had to have one..

Where do you even buy these? Looked a little while back and they didn't appear to be for sale.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

rockcity posted:

Did he have an entire closet of AA batteries that he needed to clear out in short order?

I don't think I've ever played my Game Gear without the AC adapter.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

rockcity posted:

It was absurd to even try. I don't think you got more than two hours out of it on batteries. I used to travel with a drat backpack full of batteries when my family was on vacation.

I used to grab 40 packs of AA batteries before family trips... for my Game Boy.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Sure, but how fun is that?

Really depends on how much you like food poisoning.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Finally bought some dumb games for my dumb console

I have no idea how there haven't been more Chu Chu Rocket games.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

colas posted:

I like old Macs but it's not like buying an old PC, software isn't as easy to come by.

Just turn it into a fish tank.

I have one of the swivel mounted models that can't even open a browser anymore that I can't bring myself to throw away, it is basically a pretty digital photo frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

There's a Woot Off today (at https://www.woot.com) and I grabbed 3 of the Kindle Keyboards. I owe 2 christmas presents and I like the idea of having a backup in case my regular paperwhite somehow shits the bed.

Downside is, loving hell they started charging sales tax in my state. Assholes.

Hasn't woot just turned into random poo poo Amazon has laying around the warehouse since they got bought? Back in college it was on my morning checklist, but I haven't visited in years.