Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Scarf posted:

Uhhh nope. It flat out locks all of the grains at the bottom of the container away from the brewed coffee.

A normal French press does this too. But there's no guarantee that water won't continue to circulate through the filter the whole time. Especially if you use it as a travel mug.

It looks great but the "special filter" claim is clearly marketing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
It's steel (but not stainless steel), which only differs from cast iron in the carbon content %.

It's used almost exactly the same way as a cast iron pan (you have to season it).

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Josh Lyman posted:

Isn't this a wok?

It's a frying pan. I've jumped on the de Buyer bandwagon too because it was drat cheap for something that lasts your whole life.

I also got one of their wok which is gorgeous (blue steel)

edit because I missed the opportunity to post more blue steel

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 14:47 on Jul 15, 2014

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Koala Food posted:

Because I hate crutches.

Now you just need an eye patch and a parrot for Halloween.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Keetron posted:

I kind of stopped counting, but how many pencils/pens did you buy over the last few weeks? Do you run a blog or something?

Between the collapsible batons, the knives and the mechanical pencil, I wonder if Hellbeard shouldn't consult about his attraction to strong phallic symbols.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
That's really cheap to put only one spare and not two. Ear plugs are super cheap in the first place.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Nothing says resistance as much as a skeleton. That t-shirt is so rad.

quote:

The origin of the Slam Dunking Skeleton – from the artist himself: “The 1992 Lithuanian Basketball Team represents what happens in freedom… people excel. The Lithuanian Basketball Team symbolized resistance against an oppressor, and the Slam Dunking Skeleton represented them, a whole country’s team.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

evobatman posted:

I haven't bought a brand new cellphone for myself since 2004 :smith:

Same. They used to make really sturdy phones back then.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Just because your contract is up doesn't mean you have to renew it. They just continue charging you the same rate. It's like living month to month in a rental after your lease is up.

I actually renewed my contract a few times to pay less each time since I don't need data. I already have a nexus 7 wifi for everything fancy. My phone just does the most basic stuff (phonecalls and free texts) and I'm still waiting for it to die to buy a new one. It's starting to display some strange patterns on the screen though.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

MaliciousOnion posted:

That's a pretty awesome signing.

I don't know about the US but in Belgium and France it is customary for the comic artists to spend 5 minutes or even more for signing books. Sometimes the colorist is even there for the final touch.

Just got this last week for example. The guy was signing like 4 books per hour.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

beato posted:

I'm amazed that took approximately 30 minutes to draw.

It was 15 minutes, and half of it was general chit chat and buying him a beer, and the rest, him drawing.

Also the dude is 70 years old.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
They look like they come out of DeusEx:HR.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Mu Zeta posted:

I haven't heard of any of those movies. Netflix sounds like a scam over there.

It looks like they are fake movie posters actually

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Not everyone has a smartphone ityool 2014 (I don't and have a second hand GPS). GPS also allow you to always have offline maps which can be handy in some situations.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

spog posted:

Is that a new thing? It used to be that you had to manually cache the map data and to be honest, once it let me down, I wasn't prepared to trust it again

You can manually cache the map by typing "ok maps" in the search bar.

It's possible though that google maps makes a cache of the route/map but a lot of terrible things can happen. I'm not sure the zoom works at all on such maps, and I'm pretty sure from experience that if click somewhere else on the map/hide the route, you can't get it back without a connection. Also it will never recalculate your trip.

Google map is great but it sucks terribly for offline use.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Balloon flight over my home region for the GF birthday. She likes to take pictures, hopefully she can get a few nice souvenirs.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
What I find even more disturbing than the looks of that watch with the big red alert button was the original 800$ price tag. I imagine it's worth 5$ to produce and the "95% off" is just marketing argument.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Trastion posted:

E: Actually I see you are already in there. Everyone else come join in.

Are fish-smokers welcome too?

Camerons mini stovetop smoker

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Aristophanes posted:

Super Smash Bros edition Gamecube controller, with 15% staff discount :toot:

I wish I had known these were going to be a thing a few months ago. For not that much less than what I paid for this, I got a Chinese knockoff, where the C-stick is upside down, and the + pad is one giant, mushy button that I don't think even distinguishes between directions.

Never, ever buy a knock-off GC controller. The original ones are so good getting anything else will only lead to disappointment. They aren't even that expensive.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Aristophanes posted:

When I went looking for a GC controller all the brand new ones on Ebay were $40+, and then around that much in shipping costs. There's nowhere to buy them local :sigh: Except now of course, thanks to Smash Bros WiiU.

Oh yes, brand new ones. I purchased mine used. Yet that SSB GC controller is listed at 40$ for me on amazon so unless there's a discount it's not really cheaper than the white Wii ones. But yeah, these are great controllers and well worth the price of a Xbox 360 controller.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

No Egrets posted:

Husqvarna Viking 690q.

I thought this was a joke but no, Husqvarna is making both chainsaws, dirt bikes, and sewing machines named "viking".

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Pondex posted:

As a Dane I kind feel like defending that price. :) It's a lot of money, but not if you look at it over the lifetime of the sweater. You can wear their stuff until it goes out of style and then comes back into style without wearing it out.

This will never go out of style because it'll never be in.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Pondex posted:

Dang, son.

Honestly when it gets cold enough for a 2kg sweater, style doesn't matter as much as survival.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Spamtheman posted:

Yes, if you make your own pasta or pestos from scratch it's a massive labour saver. And it does things a hand blender certainly can't.

I would rather buy a good blender (not hand) and a good mandoline than a heavy food processor using too much shelf space with all the accesories, but it's just personal preference.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Spamtheman posted:

When you say food processor do you picture this:

The first I'd call a food processor and the second I'd call a stand mixer, a blender is almost always handheld. I've got one similar to the first one and it takes up at most 20 x 20cm. I rarely use it for fine cutting, I'd rather use a decent knife.

I call the first a food processor too and this a not handhled blender

There is sometimes but not always a blender accessory coming with the food processor.

My point is that I almost never use the food processor for slicing or chopping neither (better with mandoline or knife), and if I want to do pesto or crush ice or make smoothies I use the blender.

Basically my food processor is gathering dust.

And it's taking much more than 20x20cm because of all the accesories I almost never use.

Long story short, I prefer a good blender and a good slicing mandoline than all this stuff.

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 13:38 on Jan 15, 2015

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Good call choosing the superior original version over the ugly computer-colored and censored one.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Jerry Cotton posted:

Jesus christ did Möbius approve this? Or is he dead?

He's dead now but wasn't around the time of the new edition. I have no idea if he was consulted over the re-coloring, but it was the editor's decision because supposedly that was more suited for the new launch on the American market (even if they did the same for the French version):

http://joglikescomics.blogspot.be/2009/04/desastre-hurlant-t4-is-man-good.html

My guess is it was to make it easier for the Humanos to market the whole Jodoverse as a coherent, realistic dark sci-fi universe, while the original Incal looked more magical and satirical.

The ugly realistic coloring is much more in line with the other stories from the mythos like the Metabarons or the Technopères.

At least they understood their mistake and re-edited these "classic editions" of the Incal.

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 17:49 on Jan 18, 2015

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah I... yeah, nah.

e: On a positive note, thanks to this thread for letting me know a really lovely version of these exists because I've actually been thinking of reading them. (I've only read the first album as a kid.)

You are right, I mixed realistic coloring and dark universe. The Jodoverse is certainly not realistic.

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 17:59 on Jan 18, 2015

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

dpack_1 posted:

My resting heart rate is 142

You almost have the metabolism of a cat. I hope you'll make it to 30.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

jadeddrifter posted:

These look interesting. I will give them a try. I have a similar problem. I have to work so hard to get the floss between my teeth that it pops down and cuts my gums.

I don't think these brushes are able to help remove stuff stuck between packed teeth at all. I believe only flossing can achieve it but I would be glad to be proven wrong since my teeth are packed too.

I believe they are a support to brushing, not flossing.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

It looked all very bling, the kind of things you would see in a hip hop music video. The oversaturation in the pictures did not help with this feeling.

Some people just abhor such ostentation or prefer more classic stuff. Like he/she said, different strokes

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 20:21 on Jan 22, 2015

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Jefinabox posted:

I do find it a little odd that folk will happily take a drug purely to alter how their brain works and think nothing of it.

Oh they do think something of it, they think coffee is cheaper than cocaine.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Mmmm, nothing like a cheap Frankfurter in an industrial bun. WTF America? Hot dogs are drunk food. It's not some kind of loving delicacy.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
No hotdog shaming plz

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Whoforthenwhat posted:

If so, link please, been looking for one with an actual point instead of the sausage finger crap ones that are everywhere.

About that...

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Completing my trekking equipment with stuffs for a different kind of environment:

Cheap gaiters

Cheap intermediate layer

Cheap thermal tights

to go do this for a few days

in here (Vosges)

edit:

and probably a bottle of this

or this

for the long evenings around the campfire since beer is too heavy to carry around

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 14:03 on Feb 9, 2015

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

DrBouvenstein posted:

Some business-grade Dells have them too, or at least did within the past few years since about half of the ones in use at my office have a trackpoint.

Content:

Gun, bike or brewing?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Mushinronsha posted:

I backed the Exploding Kittens game by the guy that does The Oatmeal. Looks like it should be pretty fun. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/elanlee/exploding-kittens

You basically bought a version of this (from the KS):

quote:

Exploding Kittens started when Shane Small proposed a game to Elan Lee where a joker was inserted into a deck of cards and they took turns picking cards until the joker came up. It was called “Bomb Squad” and it wasn’t any fun at all.

With Oatmeal illustrations...

Also the Conan game stretch goals put the Exploding kittens ones to shame (and I'm eager to see an ameritrash game backed up by so many great French game designers).

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 23:40 on Feb 17, 2015

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Le0 posted:

What's wrong with the Oatmeal? I find his comics funny and he does not seem to be a jerk.

He makes tons of money with monkey cheese and internet culture humor. That seems to infuriate some goons who wish they had this idea themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

WugLyfe posted:

It's much, much harder to fight against than a normal computer player because it learns to fight you.

So it's a computer player that you can unlock with a paid figurine... It's brilliant from a marketing point of view, but it's still a feature from the game that you pay to unlock.