Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

It's clearly a combination MP3 player and water pump, you philistine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

FATHER
GIVE ME LEGS

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

TenementFunster posted:

wait gently caress am I too late because DORK VADER

You had something for this, Sterling?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Bip Roberts posted:

F-91W or bust.

Terrorist spotted.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

colas posted:

Note: The typical American fridge usually has 3 pears leaning to the left, not the right.

The typical Murican fridge contains precisely zero pears.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Best-case scenario: the hiring manager will review your resume about 2 minutes before your interview to make sure he/she can correctly identify your last employer or school.

That's because, most realistically, your resume will reach the hiring manager through someone you know and who can recommend you. HR types estimate that more than 80% of job openings are filled that way. The layout/format/paper of you resume is going to contribute basically nothing.

Personal experience: 3 very different jobs in 3 tech companies.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Well, now you've done it.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Grado SR80e headphones:

I'm hoping against hope that on-ear headphones might actually be more comfortable than over-ear ones, at least for my apparently gigantic head and ears. I ordered them yesterday and am supposed to get them tomorrow :lol: I feel that's a tad optimistic for this time of year, even for Amazon.

And a subscription to Crashplan. Now I just have to wait for drat near 3 weeks for all my poo poo to upload.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Josh Lyman posted:

I have a big head but normal (I think) ears. I've listened Grados before and you'll be wanting to replace the stock earpads, though they're not the worst thing in the world.

Yeah, I've read that a lot of people do that. Hoping the first few days will let me figure out what I need before I drop even more money on them.

Actually, reading about that introduced me to the headphone modification people and... holy hell do those people take it seriously.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Twenty-four pounds of textbooks. Total cost? $666.

Fuckin' science textbooks, man. :negative:

Yeah, but how metal is that total? :black101:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Sorbus posted:

I don't even know where I would wear that but the shirt is just so silly!

To quote myself from a different thread:

Trabant posted:

Then:

Now:

If you do something, you loving commit to it.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Kinda missed the point, Moneybags.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Jekub posted:

I bought a piece of off-cut solid oak kitchen worktop and built myself a new desk. Part of our current project to reorganize and de-clutter our tiny house. Very happy with the result, I was having a significantly hard time finding cheap desks which were not horrible flat packs. Everything I could find which was solid wood on steel legs or frame was horrible expensive, so this worked out really well. I have the rest of the offcut which will turn into some small corner shelves.

The legs came from Ikea, I had them on an old nasty particle board desk.

Love it! Did a very similar thing when I moved to a new place that was 1/3 the size of my old one. Here's my final product:

Sorry, I basically brag about it every chance I get.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

beato posted:

Looks like an Adidas desk.

Appropriate, as I'm originally

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

blarzgh posted:

For the first time in my life, I'm buying shoes that fit; I just had to custom order them.
Upside: I got to customize them, even down to the words on the tongues.

Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 31 iD Men's Running Shoe
STYLE # / COLOR #: 704359-991
SIZE: 10.5 (4E Extra-Wide)

I love the colour scheme. Would've ganked your style if the customized version didn't cost something like 35% more than the plain one :-/

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

colas posted:

What does the oil do? I just shaved my big 2 month beard. The skin underneath is always so dry/flaky. I'm clueless as to maintaining it, I get annoyed when it gets all grizzly, so I always end up shaving it. I don't know what to do with it, it's like taking care of a face bonsai.

Moisturizes skin and (somewhat) softens beard hair. It really made it far less itchy when you're growing it out, at least for me. Plus, some of these oils have a fantastic smell. I'm partial to this one myself. I want to make baked goods with it.

Yes, you'll feel like a massive Williamsburg lumbersexual hipster. No way to avoid that part of it, I'm afraid.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Crossing out a big one from my Ancient Rockers bucket list:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

goku chewbacca posted:

What a decent Oxford shoe in that price range?

Allen Edmunds are way out of most people's price range if you don't have to dress professionally daily. Used AE on eBay?

Those seem to be $150 on Amazon, so... Johnston & Murphy? I'll get pilloried by the AE/Alden/C&J crowd, but they're a decent value in the sub-$200 range. Here are more ideas, some better than others:

http://dappered.com/2015/01/the-best-mens-dress-shoes-under-200-of-2015/

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

LTBS posted:

I got them at 30% off plus I have another pair of the exact same shoe but different color and I like the way they fit. I have a pair of Johnston and Murphys but they don't fit well.

I'm not saying you need to return them or anything, honestly. Just answering the question about alternatives from above.

The other day I almost pulled the trigger on a shopping cart which added up to over $700 for a few pieces of clothing and AE shoes. As in, barely enough for one complete (non-suit) outfit . Then I had a moment of clarity that (a) holy poo poo that's a lot of money, and (b) I really shouldn't follow the sartorial groupthink out there. Not all dress shoes need to be $350+ to be good.

Content: Logitech K800, to replace a dead wired one. Amazon has it for a few extra bucks off the usual price.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Nike getting into the loss.jpg edits.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

davebo posted:

Does it matter though? I don't think I know a single person that doesn't have their phone in either a case or with a designed skin applied to it.

Phone cases are for people who are clumsy and/or sissies.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

PCOS Bill posted:

It's not like I was responding to someone insulting people for their deci-

Sorry about your butterfingers, butterfingers.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Music, courtesy of Bandcamp and the stoner metal thread:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Mu Zeta posted:

It was better than the absolutely forgettable past winners like Argo and King's Speech.

Oh look, the movie has a message for you

bunnielab posted:

Link to stoner metal thread please?

Sure thing. It covers related subgenres too.

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I just bought this too. Owns.

Hell yes it does :hfive:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Jumped on the Nexus 6 as soon as Verizon started offering it on-contract. And then there's this:

I know it's not a new thing, but still ... A $40 fee to upgrade my phone and extend my contract. I'm paying money to pay money.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

PCOS Bill posted:

You need to get away from Verizon, man. Get yourself a no-contract MVNO like Ting. Sure, you'll pay more up front buying the phone outright, but the savings over time are so worth it.

I know, I really do. But every time I look into it, the price/coverage combo just doesn't pan out in favour of MVNOs. Hopefully next time... he said yet again.

But on this:

PCOS Bill posted:

Your unsubstantiated claim sure does hold water!

I mean, s/he's right -- it's nearly common knowledge that Sprint has historically been the worst of the bunch: http://bgr.com/2014/11/20/sprint-customer-satisfaction-ratings-consumer-reports/. Or maybe I just think it's common knowledge, I guess. Exceptions exist, obviously, but it seems to be the same story with Sprint every year.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
This fetishization of manuals is the worst, and I say that as someone who finally had it with changing gears after owning a motorcycle. Manuals don't make you cool like Steve McQueen. They've become the automotive equivalent of a fedora.

Yes, I know there's irony or someshit in this Username + Post combo.

edit for thread content and continuing with the transportation theme:

Kryptonite U-lock and cable.

Trabant has a new favorite as of 22:39 on Mar 16, 2015

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

strangemusic posted:

:iiaca:

Unless you drive so much that you're getting a repetitive strain injury from the shift knob, I can't see how it could possibly be bad. I don't know if there's fetishization unless you're seriously all Top Gear about cars or something and just need to be up in people's business talking about *that connection with the road*, but frankly I don't care enough to be a driving-feel aesthete. It's just a car from going from A to B and it has a clutch that works, and it's how I learned. Saying that having a preference is pretentious or uncool is like saying "why would you wear shoes with laces, you insufferable hipster fetishist purist person, when velcro is available?"

A far more accurate :shoeanalogy: would be shoes with laces that you had to re-lace, tighten, or loosen every time you stopped walking / walked faster / walked uphill / some combination thereof, but you argued it gave you a better feel for the subtleties of walking and it made walking in even crappy shoes fun.

If that were the case, yes -- you would be an insufferable hipster fetishist purist person, and loving sign me up for velcro.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

SpartanIV posted:

PYF Recent Purchases: Oh goddammit. What's wrong with my shoes this time?

Seconded.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Oneiros posted:

Only for fed issued cards / terminals . Rest assured retailers will drag their feet for years.

I think the Target/Home Depot/etc. disasters of the last couple of years have probably softened that resistance quite a bit (even though not every breach could be prevented with chip & PIN). Whether your local burger joint will get on board without some kind of threats from the card companies is a different story.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Etrips posted:

By paying for organic synthetic oil.

Excuse me, my car takes only gluten-free organic synthetic oil.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
People post all kinds of random stuff here, so maybe someone will know where I can find this:

There are these car cupholders, most often found in European-spec models:

Those would be easy to find, but I don't need the whole cupholder structure -- just the rolling cover part of it (ideally metal). I'd like to build it into other random stuff I'm making.

So, any thoughts where I can get the cover/roll? It doesn't have to be from a car cupholder at all, as long as it functions the same way.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

blarzgh posted:

Junkyard.

Or make it yourself, by glueing strips of wood or aluminum or plastic or whatever on a piece of soft plastic (like a gel) from the craft store.

Edit: or call ECS Tuning and ask them.

The junkyard might be a non-starter, or at least something that could take months. I'm in the US, and couldn't tell you last time I actually saw one of those in a car.

So yeah, the DIY option is probably what I'll have to do. Here comes 20 attempts before I find a way to make it not look like rear end. But at least I was able to figure out that's called a tambour, so I've got a starting point :toot:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Avocados posted:

Dr Bronner's Magic Soap. I heard good things about it, so why not? It comes with schizophrenic word salad for free.

The peppermint kind leaves your undercarriage feeling tingly. Doesn't feel bad, just a bit :stonklol:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Cierra posted:

Started a new job. Bought a pair of shoes to celebrate. :toot:

Frye is really good stuff. Just sent two pairs of their shoes to get resoled (after 8 years of very frequent use), while the boots are shaping up to be nearly indestructible.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Just bought tickets to see the Stones this summer. Hey Mick, how are you feeling?

You're a big fat liar, Mick.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Reverse Centaur posted:

wtf where I live segways aren't even legal in public and Americans Texans drive around this?

Note the flag in the background.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

If you liked those but don't know about Last Exit To Nowhere... I may have just cost you a lot more money.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing people that a small amount of food is somehow easier to share among friends than a large amount of food. Being able to share a greater variety of food without a ton of it left over -- that's a slightly more valid argument. Which is why I do enjoy tapas from time to time.

Android Bicyclist posted:

Worst off, no captured princess offered their rectum to me for sexual pleasure when I finished eating it.

Saving the world is a prerequisite, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

colas posted:

I bet this place serves run of the mill BBQ and hired a marketing guy who decided to pay people to make a huge line just to build up hype from day one.

I can see how you'd think that from the pictures, but... No, it really is obscenely good. A curve-wrecker if there ever was one.