Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I bought a crappy pod machine 2 years ago and slowly came to the conclusion that I wanted to get a bit more serious about my morning coffee. So, after 6 months of saving and research I've managed to deck out my coffee corner.

So, everything there is new. The machine is a Gaggia Classic with a steam wand modification, the grinder is a Nemox Lux with stepless mod. Also, glasses, grind box and espro tamper. Now I just need to be not so poo poo at pulling a good shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Haruki Murakami's The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. Ever since reading Kafka on the Shore I've become steadily more obsessed with him.

After I finish this I'll be reading Hardboiled Wonderland and The End Of The World.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Early birthday gift for myself

No more waiting for books to come it at the library like a poor for me!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I bought a book as well, it's beautifully written so far.

After coming off of Kurt Vonnegut it's requiring a much slower reading pace.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Fire Safety Doug posted:

I tend to do most of my reading before bed and Gravity's Rainbow took me a good while since I'd usually start feeling powerfully sleepy after a couple of pages. It's dense stuff.

Dense is right, but beautiful. I'm finding I need to set aside a good chunk of time. Normally I catch my books on breaks with hard time limits, but I can't put this down mid-paragraph with how ambling his writing style is. I read Inherent Vice and The Crying of lot 49 earlier this year and heard them described as Pynchon-light, which I now understand.

Megabound has a new favorite as of 02:17 on May 28, 2016

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

New shoes!

Onitsuka Tigers for $55 AUD. Absolute bargain. Thanks DFO.

Windsor Smith dress shoes for my wedding in September. Not as cheap as the tigers but for $150 I was happy.

Megabound has a new favorite as of 06:31 on Jun 11, 2016

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

A rOtring 800

It's magnificent

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Kaizoku posted:

this is a good purchase. sadly, the 600 and 500 are not--the inability to recess the feed makes it unpocketable and in danger when dropped, if you haven't tried them before/are considering grabbing a different hardness. Unless, of course, you only work from one location with them and have no visitors who might borrow a pencil.

Pretty much the reason I bought it. I've already gone through 2 Staedtler 925 25s this year because of how fragile the feed is on them.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

4 month old Bengal kitten named Scoopy. He's adorable.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

I hope you adopted him from a shelter!

Also LOL good luck with a bengal.

He was raised with Australian Mists so his temperament is a bit different, and is getting a mist sister when she's desexed. He's pretty vocal ATM but is way more cuddly than most Bengals I've known and loves being handled.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Spy_Guy posted:

New thing for the collection. :)

How big is your collection, do you have more pictures? I love old calculators, when I get a grad position I'd love to own some myself.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I have a new hobby.

Faber Castel Loom, TWSBI Eco, an Iroshizuku sampler set and a fabric wrap case.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

New books, some finished already:

Temple of the Golden Pavilion was magnificent and now I need to read more Mishima. Blood Meridian was also amazing but I need to read it again to get more out of it and Suddenly a Knock on the Door is a great palate cleanser before I start on Spring Snow.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Phthisis posted:

I just read both the Temple of the Golden Pavilion and Spring Snow and Spring Snow was really great. Also a much easier read in my opinion. Runaway Horses hasn't been as appealing to me but it's still good I think.

Great to hear, I'm debating whether to take the Sea of Fertility series consecutively or have a book gaps in-between.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

After many production delays this finally arrived:

Pocket CHIP, it's a linux based computer and is pretty rad. ARM based so it's got pretty good support from the Raspberry PI crowd, GPIO up the top and is only $70. So far it's a magnificent GBA emulator.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

My new coozies are best coozies.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

A bunch of new writing gear:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

twoday posted:

What is this pen? What are the nibs? This stuff looks really cool.

Thanks! The top pen is a Kaweco Sport in fine, it's tiny when capped and a full sized pen when posted, it's my go to pocket pen now.

The other is a TWSBI Vac 700 in 1.1 Stub, here's nibs and (lovely) writing samples:

There's a good Fountain Pen thread on SA actually if you want to check it out some more, https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531265

And if you're thinking about a first pen look at the TWSBI Eco. They're really cheap, great quality nibs and have a huge ink capacity.

Megabound has a new favorite as of 22:48 on Oct 20, 2016

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Quote is not edit

Megabound has a new favorite as of 22:48 on Oct 20, 2016

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

flosofl posted:

Hey fountain pen nerd!

I've been recommending Lamy Safari as good beginner pen. The nibs are smooth and forgiving. The pens are relatively inexpensive ($25 to $50).

My favorite is the Parker 75 Sterling Cicelé set my father got me as a graduation present. When it became clear I was never going back to finish my degree, he finally gave me the set as a "wish you'd go back, but good on you getting a high paying career I guess" present. Absolutely fav pen to use, Sterling Silver with gold trim, 14K white gold fine nib. I really love how you can change the orientation of the nib in relation to the barrel so you can adjust the pen to your holding style instead of having to adjust to the pen.

On topic and related, I recently reloaded on a bunch of Mnemosyne notebooks. They've been the best notebooks for taking notes with wet ink. Very little bleed through and crisp heavy paper. I use one for brainstorming and project notes and another for meeting notes. I use ScannerPro on my phone to pull them into OneNote. Best of both worlds: I get the tactile pleasure of pen on paper note taking and organizational flexability of digitizing everything.

https://www.amazon.com/Maruman-Mnemosyne-Special-Memo-Notepad/dp/B001A1VB9M

I'm only new to the scene, and while I like the safari (I own an Al-Star myself) the triangular barrel can be off-putting as an introduction, then having to get a converter on top of that to get the most out of it. TWSBI are doing a second version of the Eco with a triangular grip section that I'm pretty excited about, and seeing as the Eco is already cheaper than the Safari it's going to be a real strong contender for beginners first pen. Also, demonstrators are sexy.

That Parker looks lovely, I'm holding off on getting my a gold nibbed pen until graduation and until I land my first real engineering job.

I find myself using a lot of Clairfontaine paper, but one of the benefits of being in Australia is we can get it relativity cheap by importing from Asia, on a similar note I'll be getting a Hobonichi Techno and I hear only good things about Tomoe River paper.

Fountain pens are easily the most friendly and accepting hobby I've found. There's a lot of respect and very little snobbery about using a $5 preppy, even from those who use $500 Mont Blancs, at least in my local community.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

SpartanIV posted:

Apple has basically reinvented the Logitech G15 Optimus Maximus! Revolutionary!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I was going to buy another pair of Sennheiser CX 300s after I stupidly left them out where the cats could find them, but after a bit of research I decided to go with these instead.

Audio Technica ATH-IM70. They sound amazing, are super comfortable and, best of all, have removable cables. So if it gets bitten in half I can spend $15 instead of $60. Or even add an inline mic if I want.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Testimony:
I bought 100 blades for barely any money and they are projected to last three years. I've had them since October 2015 and I'm less than half-way through the box.

I bought a box of 100 almost 5 years ago now and they're still going strong, the soap I use lasts about 3 years a bar, and I doubt I'll ever have to replace the razor itself.

If you don't mind putting a bit more time into your shaving they're great.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

A 1950s Conway Stewart 15:

A staple work horse pen from that time, fairly common, and then I spent 5 times the amount on all of this:

Now I just need more vintage fountain pens to restore so I can properly justify the purchase...

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Is that pen made of resin? Looks really nice.

Sure is, also has a lovely soft 14ct gold nib. I couldn't help myself and gave it a dip test after I'd cleaned out all the old ink and removed the sac.

Modern high end pens are still made from resin, like this Visconti Homo Sapiens or anything Mont Blanc produces.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Best of the past few months:

Lamy 2000, the nicest pen I've ever written with. Beautifully designed, and writes so smoothly. Amazing ink capacity too.

What nib did you get on the 2000?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

neongrey posted:

I bought a jar of snail goo and a lip balm shaped like a peach that inadvertently looks like a boob. It's coming in the mail.

My wife swears by that snail goo, it's odd but it worked wonders for her.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

ANUSTART posted:

Which snail goo? I got one a few months ago and havent had luck with it, but mine also exploded during shipping (amazon refunded it) so maybe it got.... contaminated or something who knows I may have just bought a crappy brand.

She uses this one, Mizon Snail Repair Cream. Contrary to the name it's not for repairing snails. It's 92% as well.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

A 1950s Parker 51 Aerometric in Dove Grey

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well yes buying an old pen because you think you're Mad Men is childish whereas a poseable skeleton is very useful for many possible applications.

Agreed.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Well the pen is going into a working collection, and will be used daily, even if it is 70 years old. It's too nice a writer not too.

Megabound has a new favorite as of 05:54 on Dec 25, 2016

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

How much was it?

$125 Australian, which is pretty good, especially for such an easy restore.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Dreddout posted:

Can the skeleton hold a 1950s Parker 51 Aerometric in Dove Grey?

The 5' 3" Skeleton would probably prefer the 51 Demi as it was a smaller pen, the dove grey is always a nice colour choice.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

New shoes! There was a lot of praise in this thread for New Balance in comfort and durability, and my shoes could do with a bit more of both:

1550 Elite, they've got some cool purple/black reflective highlights, like a subdued pearlescent paint.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Shanghaied posted:

I just wish people would stop quoting Bill - I have him on ignore and the only reason I have to read his moronic ranting is because people keep quoting him.

Edit: lol I remember he was 20-something on the most ignored list a few months back, now he's at 12th place. You go Bill!

:same:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Zahi posted:

Why would anyone go to a car show to see a focus let alone a whole section of them?

A stock focus even.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

More vintage pens, but this one is after I restored it.

Mid to late 1930s Mabie Todd Swan Self Filler 105/60

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Quick, let me balance this out with another really old pen that looks like it has dazzle camouflage.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

An Ultrasonic cleaner:

Mostly for pen and ink related gear, but I threw in my glasses and was astounded at how much detritus fell out. I suspect it'll come in handy when I do my deep cleans of my coffee gear too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I heart bacon posted:

I'd like to get one of those some day. What kind is yours?

600ml 40khh, not sure what's good or desirable but it ripped all the caked in old ink off a feed in less 2 minutes. Just unbranded off eBay, around $30AUD.