Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I'm about to do a mirrored 4 TB setup so I'll have both backup and cloud access, I'm just debating on which enclosure, though I'm leaning toward something from Synology. I considered just paying for cloud space, but I like having the data locally for speedy access too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Great choice. Jake got hosed on an Oscar nomination for his performance.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah for real. He was chilling in that role. I just want to watch his mannerisms over and over again.

And I cannot wait to see what kind of special features are on the disc.

Yeah, the mannerisms and quirks were crucial in developing how maniacal his character was. My favorite of those is that whenever someone introduces him, he corrects them and uses the other version of his name, i.e. "This is Lou." "Call me Louis." or "This is Louis." "Call me Lou." He always has the upper hand. He's also wearing the stolen watch throughout the whole film and you can tell he is because it doesn't fit him.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Geoj posted:

But really, what other category would you put a beer in that has coffee and chocolate as its primary flavor notes?

Breakfast. :colbert:

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Bought some Cascade hop rhizomes to try to grow my own hops for my homebrew. I'm not expecting much since I live in a horrible climate for growing them (Florida) but apparently people have had luck with Cascade down here, so we'll see.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Picked up a new flash because I thought my old Sigma one finally bit the dust.

Turns out it wasn't the flash, something was just wrong with the rechargeable batteries I use in it. They were putting out enough power to turn it on, but not charge it. Oh well, now I have a much much nicer flash and a backup/slave.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Yeah, Nightcrawler and Whiplash were better than Birdman IMO. I thought Birdman was just ok, not as great as everyone says it is. Jake Gylennhall really should have been nominated for Nightcrawler.

He really did. He got hosed hard. It was one of the more convincing creepy roles that I'm ever seen.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Yeah, I would imagine you'd use it more for peanut butter flavor rather than actual peanut butter, so it would get used in a lot of blended things or as a topping.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Grraarrgghh posted:

I'm almost 100% sure Ikea sells it. Or used to.

All the furniture in that post is from Ikea.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

spudsbuckley posted:

What's with all the retro shave stuff recently?

Is this some kind of hipster poo poo?

It's considerably cheaper after you own a razor and brush. A year's worth of blades is just a few dollars. I also get a lot off irritation and have much smoother skin. A lot of the problem is that most canned shaving creams have a propellant in them that will dry out your skin.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Wet shaving is not some hipster trend, the only people I know that do it are old men. It's simply a better and much cheaper method of shaving. Hipsters are all about bad facial hair.

I've been doing it for 7 years and I'm under 30. I just like the shave a lot better mostly. I even have travel cases for my razor and brush since I'm on the road two nights a week. I could get away with using a cartridge razor, but I'll never go back to canned shaving cream.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Finally broke down and ordered stuff to setup a NAS. Went with a Synology DS215J enclosure and two Seagate 4TB NAS drives to set up a mirror.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Glad to hear some real world feedback on it. We have one of the higher models at my office and it works pretty well, so I figured the consumer version should work well for all I need, which is pretty basic remote access to files when I'm travelling and a backup of all my photography.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

LoveMeDead posted:

I got a crab cake burger without the bun from Red Robin because my adult kid wanted to eat there for his birthday.

It was pretty bad and I feel gross. I had tried to talk him in to sushi, but he was stuck on a burger.

Who tries to change their kid's decision on where to eat on their birthday?

Just order a burger at a burger restaurant and don't get seafood.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

JEEVES420 posted:

It took me far too long to realize that is a break caliper for your car. At first I thought it was a bike pedal.

I actually had the same exact thought process.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

You can get a jack, some jack stands and the tools to do an oil change for under $100. It takes less than an hour to do on most cars, costs about half of what a shop would charge and its immensely satisfying to do your own work on your car.

Yeah, I'll never go back to not doing my own oil. I'd recommend Rhino Ramps personally. You can get them on sale for like $40 and they're a lot faster to use. Once you have the tools oil changes are about $20 for traditional oil and $30 for synthetic.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Toast Museum posted:

drat. There's no way I could justify buying these, but with the right outfit I'd wear the poo poo out of them.

The trouble is there is no right outfit. This trend of weird color soles and flat out sneaker soles on dress shoes really needs to go away. Cole Haan started all this crap after Nike bought them.

Edit: I take that back, clowns need to dress up once in a while.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Decided to finally convert from gas over to electric lawn equipment. Got a hell of a deal on the mower, blower and string trimmer on craigslist and ordered the brush trimmer online without a battery since I already have the three chargers and batteries. My Craftsman mowers motors for the front wheels are dying and it's making it hard to push and my string trimmer is on its last legs anyway.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

FishBulb posted:

Yeah it's pretty good. I guess they have some kind of nitro that isn't a stout but I've never seen it here in kansouri

It's an Amber Ale. It's pretty tasty as well.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

VendaGoat posted:

Ok, this is awesome. You can add on a "Drive through a house" to your package deal.

My friend did one at Tank Town USA and got to crush a car.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

strap on revenge posted:

It's weird to me that americans still use cheques, I've never used one in my life and haven't seen my parents use one since the 90s

e: for transactions that aren't thousands of dollars

I only use them for two things and they're both related to paying for our house. The payment processing charges for doing an online payment so we just mail a check.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

KingColliwog posted:

That's something I never understood. I have a whole lot of trouble believing that online payments cost more money to banks and companies than the administration fees that come with handling checks.

Yeah, I agree, it's super annoying. We also used to be able to turn one of those payments in in person to someone who works in our community clubhouse so we wouldn't have to mail it, but they hosed up processing it more than once and I'm not the only person in our community to have that problem so we just stopped doing that and started mailing it.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Vaporizer holder.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Reverse Centaur posted:

They just ask you your height and weight. Not like any cop/bouncer/regular joe is gonna know the metric conversion anyway.

Why would someone who lives in a country that uses the metric system need to convert units of measurement to ones that are not standardized in their own country?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
A new AC condenser.

A rock flew up and damaged the condenser in my year old Mazda 3. I was 3,000 miles out of warranty and even then they said they probably wouldn't have replaced it because it was damage and not failure. There goes $850.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist posted:

Have you checked if it would be covered under your insurance? Might save a bit of change if they will cover it and you have a low deductible.

I did and they would cover it but the deductible was $500 and then I run the risk of having my rates increase. I would have also had to wait a bit for whoever they sent it to to give me a new estimate order the part and then get the repair approved. It's already hit 90 in Orlando and I had a 5 hour drive to do for work, so I just ponied up and got it done quickly.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Ragequit posted:

This is a long exposed shot, correct? I always thought those were super dim.

A long exposure shot wouldn't make them look brighter without making everything else in the photo brighter.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

colas posted:

Goddamn, clean your feet Samwise Gamgee. That's like eating a stack of Oreos before getting your teeth cleaned.

Ink makes your feet look dirty. Mine looked almost the same way (minus the awful toe hair) after the black shading.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

MA-Horus posted:

Fair enough!

Mind you we hardly use our calipers or mics at all anymore, all CMM based. All about those measurements down to a tenth of a micron :getin:

I work in the measuring industry and that is nothing. We have a surface profiler that reads to a hundredth of a nanometer.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

village catamite posted:

Huh? A hundreth of a nanometer is subatomic.

Phase shift interferometry will get you to .1 nanometer and coupling that with a piezo electronic stage will get you to .01 nanometer.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Toast Museum posted:

I just ordered some test fabric swatches to see how some designs I made look on different materials. If any of them turn out well, we're going to see how they work for neckties and bow ties.

What do you work with that requires that level of precision?

I'm an applications engineer for a company that supplies them. I can tell you that Apple owns one to check the surface finish on iPhone shells. You'd be surprised at the companies out there that have crazy high precision measuring equipment. I work with everyone from defense contractors that I have to apply for clearance for and submit to background checks to Crayola.

Currently I'm working on one with a biometric sensor manufacturer.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Echeveria posted:

It depends on the brand. The biggest cup size victoria secret carries in my band size is a ddd. Beyond that, I have to go to a specialty lingerie store and buy either ddd or e cups. It's basically the same thing, I think, except ddd is probably marketed to make people feel like they don't have enormously huge tits. Keeping in mind that cup size is relevant to band size. Thankfully, I look reasonably proportioned.

I would rather have smaller tits, no word of a lie. Like I said, they look proportioned on me but dresses are always too tight and uncomfortable in the top. Empire tops don't ever fit. I'll make it even worse and say I wish my legs were shorter, too.

My wife has the same complaints and she's only a DD. Her other complaint is that barring ordering online or going to specialty stores, the only bras she can find that fit are either really boring or straight up looking like a bra for a 60 year old. The other problem is that she won't wear anything with any real padding because she doesn't need it. Suit jackets are tough on her because she's like a size 6 in the waist and a 12 when you have to fit her chest in.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

You should treat your wife to a proper bra fitting because an actual DD cup isn't going to be that large on a size 6 frame. Also, there are loving loads and loads of cute bras for larger sizes, so long as you're not just shopping at like, Macy's.

I've honestly tried. I'm pretty sure she's not wearing the right size, but I have a feeling the size she should be wearing will be even harder for her to find bras in a normal store. That and apparently she got fitted when she was pretty young and hated the experience and it's sort of stuck with her. The one time she was sort of fitted for something along those lines was when we were on a vacation down in Key Largo and stumbled on a woman's bathing suit store that advertized having a big range of sizes. All of their sizing was in UK so her size was something strange, but I remember thinking it converted to something different than what she's wearing now. But yeah, that's her problem about shopping too. She won't even be looking for bras, but we'll be somewhere like Target and she'll see a bra display with something that looks nice and it won't come in anything bigger than a C, maybe a D at best.

Alright, real content. I bought a bunch of cabinet dampers to convert my kitchen cabinets to soft close.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Pick posted:

She needs a real fitting, most people do. I live in the Midwest but still get my bras when I return periodically to Oregon because there's a shop in Corvallis of all places that knows what it's doing. It's the difference between chronic pain and being functional.

I've tried to convince her of that, but she's really stubborn and doesn't seem interested in doing it. She's really weird about interacting with sales people in stores for some reason, which is odd because she's not a shy person at all. It's just people in stores.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

LTBS posted:

I got 3 nights at The Saint in New Orleans.

I need a vacation, gah.

It's an awesome hotel, my wife and I stayed there last year with some friends. Really cool rooms.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

colas posted:

I'm not boo'ing. I've only seen the banana for scale thing on reddit.

They want $11 for that? They're like $3 or $4 at the brewery. I got one for free when I bought a pint of Lagunitas at my homebrew shop.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Glottis posted:

You say that, but mark my words, there will be a time when you decide that you don't need to use the guard or want to cut something closer than you can when using the guard, and you WILL cut your finger. It's a rite of passage among mandoline slicer owners.

After the third time my aunt cut her finger on hers, my uncle took it from her and threw it outside into the snow. He forgot he did it and it sat there until spring until the snow melted and he found it.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Etrips posted:

Those containers do not look like they have any type of locking mechanism. I wouldn't trust it to fly around in a messenger bag.

Yeah, I'd really want something like a lock 'n' lock container if I were tossing it in a bag. I have some small lock 'n' locks that I use to put food in if I need it to not leak. I've actually had food in mine, in a backpack and swam in the ocean with it.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Malf posted:

I might even use it to make a caramel macchiato :coffee:

What you're thinking a macchiato is is not a macchiato. A macchiato is a double shot of espresso with a tiny bit of milk foam in it. I have no idea why Starbucks calls it that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I bought 80 billion of these.

It's beer yeast, specifically a vial of the yeast used to make Heady Topper. I also bought some wild yeast for my first sour