Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

This thread has been an awesome roller coaster of shoe shaming and board games. ^^^ Errol Flynn that's an amazing gift. My dad had one when I was a kid, he brought it back from Viet Nam and had shot competitively in rapid fire while in the Navy, though I don't believe with that specific rifle. I always remember it as a quirky laser cannon, it put .308 right where you thought it was gonna go and occasionally smashed your fingers.

I recently got the Mobius dash cam, it's tiny with no screen and just what I wanted in a front camera. I added a super capacitor since I live in TX and the heat would have already killed the battery that came in it; I also got a set of mounts including a rather large lever-activated suction cup, a slimmer adhesive-only mount (with 3M VHB), a helmet mount, etc. I'm already glad to have it, a friend called me last Friday to follow her after some lady ran up on her banging on her car window (said friend was nearby and knew I was also around the area.) Turns out the lady was the victim of a hit-and-run and I trailed them all the way to the hospital. My friend should have called 911, but the victim was asking her not to, saying she had warrants, etc. It wasn't harrowing when it was happening, but afterwards it was pretty somber. To be clear, the footage almost any dash cam captures is generally pretty banal, but last month I had a Corvette fly past me up a one-way, elevated ramp going the wrong way and since I didn't have any evidence of that it was just time for the camera:

I also recently got a couple of Goodyear Eagle RSA tires to match up with the rest and replace a couple of low-tread ones.

I also got a PS4 last month, I've had PSN+ for months and wasn't thinking during the intervening months to add the free PS4 games to my account even before I'd gotten the PS4. Got Trials, Far Cry 4 and GTAV (and will be getting GTAV on PC as well, probably need to move up from my 7870...dammit.) Also need BF4 with Premium, haven't really had a chance to play it.

Edit: Oh, also Bartkira:

And Dataclysm from the OKCupid blog author Christian Rudder:

Oddhair has a new favorite as of 06:32 on Feb 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

colas posted:

Nice. Where are you getting frames? If you're framing them.

I haven't used this site, but it came highly recommended by my office film memorabilia nut:

http://framersbrand.com/assembly.htm

(This guy gave me a Japanese poster for The Car because he determined it to be a reprint, and he had to have an original. He takes his posters seriously.)

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I found out that it's legal to carry automatic folding knives in Texas, so I got the nicest folder I've ever had, a Kershaw Launch:

I'm probably also going to pick up some of those boots, my old Skechers steel toe/steel shank are alright, but they're vinyl so of course they look like poo poo.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Echeveria posted:

No? It's a cheap phone, yes, because I don't need a lot of features, but I still want to keep it nice. All I want is one of those silicone cases that clips on. But I wouldn't mind a custom graphic.

I got a skin from skinit.com for an iPod touch 2nd gen, they're precision cut out of vinyl. I wouldn't call it thick, but compared to the kind of vinyl used in sign making these are a lot more meaty, while still able to wrap all the way around the back of the iPod, right up next to the glass. I bought mine with Coke points, I believe it's still one of the things you can buy with them. (I only mention this in case you already have some Coke points, they've recently made a social tie-in push and there are different tiers of prizes or gifts or whatever and I'm pretty sure its well nigh impossible to get past Bronze without linking your Facebook.)

This is the only moto g listed, but it seems that third gen looks much like the previous generation of the same phone.
http://www.skinit.com/device-skins/phone-skins/motorola/moto-g-skins

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

CaseFace McGee posted:

Loaded with an Eminence Kappalite 10 for my upright bass gigs, and just out of shot is an Omni 212 TallBoy with Deltalites for gigs where I want to really rattle the floors. Great cabinets.

From a salesman, we were going to get a Dyson but we also wanted a decent shampooer, and once you include those it gets expensive enough to consider a Kirby. We were able to negotiate down a decent amount (still stupidly expensive) and it's really simple to dismantle to remove all the hair that clogged our previous vacuums and shampooer.

Plus, the wife is happy, and our puppy discovered that it's fun to pee on the carpet as we hook up his leash to go outside... it's getting used pretty often. We can return it within a short timeframe, can't remember how long, but it's probably going to stay here.

Kirby is a good vacuum, just not worth nearly what they charge for them. I've got a 16 year old G4 and all its accessories, and other than the drive system wanting to go forward a little more eagerly than backwards it still works really well. Just pay attention to the pile depth notches if you ever remove the beater bar, putting it back in the wrong position can have the bar binding on your carpet and letting the belt melt against the shaft. If you two like it already then you'll do fine, I've known some people who couldn't wrap their head around the accessories, and ~18 Lbs is kind of high for a vacuum.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I let out an audible "Oh, poo poo!" when I saw this, I almost forgot pre-ordering these. Can't wait, especially for the annual White Elephant at the holiday party.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I really enjoyed the Hibiki and Hakushu, I've only ever had Yamazaki at a bar but it's pretty fine as well.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

^^^ Love the Venture Brothers quote.

I'm a weirdo who wants a good headset to work correctly with multiple devices, so I bought a bunch of TRRS leads and jacks and little bits from DigiKey. I'm making a box so a smart phone headset can be either the CTIA or OMTP version, with a breakout so a set of stereo headphones can be used alongside a simple clip-on microphone, and possibly a polarity switcher and mono/stereo switch.

The end goal is a small adapter that will allow me to use just any TRRS headset with my cell phone as well as with a PS4 controller for chat audio, with the bonus of being able to instead switch to using the headset or other mic for chat audio but some other stereo headphones to send game audio to the controller as well.

Also, I didn't buy this but someone did, I was gifted a Medford Praetorian stone washed knife. It's big and thick, like the kind of folding knife Marcus Fenix or Turok would carry:

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

We have a winner, the pic is from Aliexpress, land of the cheap knockoff, and the knife I have looks 100% identical to the one in that pic. The knife is seriously overbuilt and way too large, and almost assuredly was a Chinese knock off of the real Praetorian, but I didn't want to call my non-goon friend out in the post. I think that even if it was like $20, it's like a wacky prop knife (that can really injure you) more than a serious pocket knife. I'm still carrying the ~$100 Kershaw I posted about a couple of months ago as my daily, but it's so nice I find myself unlikely to really use it to cut anything more strenuous than cellophane tape.

I will say that just about anyone over the age of 12 could use that Praetorian as a kick-rear end window breaker in a pinch, but that's not enough to make me carry a kilo of folding knife around.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

gently caress, they are all out at that price.

32s were all at 399 at like 3 Central, 64 GB models were still available. Thanks mu zeta, I've never had a brand new smart phone, just lots of hand-me-downs.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah but the 64BG were going for 300.

Yeah, I was phoneposting, I really wanted to save the $50 and get a 32GB model, but being forced to upgrade to the bigger storage is probably for the best (for me, at least). Anxiously awaiting its arrival (edit) tomorrow... dammit.

Oddhair has a new favorite as of 19:00 on Dec 30, 2015

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I went and bought a car. It's stupidly fun, got the manual base model.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

LingcodKilla posted:

Sup new VW bud. I bought a Tiguan S with 4motion. I'm really enjoying it too. Very peppy.

Congrats as well; I know in AI ze Germans (VAG specifically) get poo poo on a little due to some interesting design decisions, but I have been really happy with the previous one, a 2007 Rabbit. This one is just more car in very way as well as being nicer to boot. Now, if only it had included tinted windows... that's twice now!

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Well, I got my lock pick set it, and about 35-40 mins into it, I picked the lock.

Then, after resetting everything and wandering off for a bit, I came back and tried again and got it in under 30 seconds.

This is both fun and terrifying.

Try to pick your deadbolt, you'll feel much better about the strength of locks around you. Bonus points if it's even a little enhanced security like a Schlage Primus, which has a secondary set of five pins that lift and turn to create a path for a side bar to fall out of the way of the cylinder. Until those 5 are set, the cylinder doesn't budge even a few degrees, and you can't tension any of the tumblers. I tried to pick one of these without understanding the added security in advance, it was a waste of time and energy.

I don't have pictures, but I bought some DIY tint film from TintZoom... I've already ordered two replacement pieces, because tint is fiddly as gently caress! (Also, I ran the heat gun into the middle of the first piece like a scrub.) I'll probably never DIY tint anything other than flat rectangular windows again; I like the frugality, but it really is a significant amount of labor and effort, and very easy to mess up.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

couldcareless posted:

I bought a car

:hfive:

Pro tip: if you bought it new, the Sirius/XM satellite trial starts the day you drive it off the lot, so if you want to give it a try then do so sooner rather than later. I bought mine three months ago this Friday and so of course I have 5 days instead of three months left to try it out.

edit: I just got a PNY 128GB MicroSDXC card for $32 at Microcenter, the price is good until the end of the month. It's a U1 rated card, so good for sustained low-rate writing like video but not for a DSLR still camera in burst mode.

Oddhair has a new favorite as of 17:46 on May 16, 2016

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

No pic 'cuz it's a simple rectangle about the size of an Apple TV, but thanks to whoever recommended the Edge Router X. My old Dlink home router/WiFi wouldn't hang with the 150Mb cable, but it hangs fine just handing out WiFi while the router does its magic, and now the internet is screaming fast.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

This is posted:

Charcuterie sampler:

Finochiona (fennel pollen salami)
Nostrano (pink peppercorn salami)
Salame di Manzo (Waygu beef salami)
Cacciatorini Piccante (spicy hunters sausage)
Nduja (spicy spreadable salami)

Gunna stick dat meat in my mouf!

Just be aware that pink peppercorns are related to cashews, not pepper, and can trigger tree nut allergies. That said, I'm probably going to order this pack o' meats, it sounds fantastic. Also, that Wagyu bresaola!

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

GopherFlats posted:

:catstare: holy poo poo I did not know this. Thank you goon sir for that. Are they usually listed on ingredients as a type of nut?

I've never seen it, I just started looking into spices and wondered why I'd use different peppers (after using white for the first time: it's just black with less fruity flavor, just heat.) On the wikipedia page it says they're related, but then says another plant is also often sold as pink pepper, and that one doesn't say anything about cashews. Reading about url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_nut_allergy]tree nut allergies[/url], though, it does mention that pistachios and cashews are very different allergens than walnuts and pecans, and that many people aren't allergic to both but are simply told to avoid all tree nuts for their safety.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Got me some quality lock picks to replace my cheap DealExtreme $6 set. My boss declared me our company locksmith so I can even carry my picks around but I likely won't be doing that.

Also went to the local Habitat for Humanity Re-Store and scooped up some cheap surplus locks to practice on.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

big mean giraffe posted:

Are you Dwight Schrute?

I am not, no, though I do have a fondness for beets...

I am routinely called upon to pick locks, but my bosses are a pair of wonk-ish brothers who are both also into lock picking. They also buy locks specifically for how secure they are, so there's not much chance of me picking the Schlage Primus cylinders we use here.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Interestingly enough picks are mostly legal, though as stated carrying them around leaves you open for questioning.

Obviously don't use this site as your only guide, but here's an example of the laws across the US.

I used to use a Master lock with some carbide alloy hasp, second strongest crystalline metal known, but I was locking it to a hasp made of folded over 18 gauge sheet metal that three strokes with a hacksaw would defeat. When I discovered I could rake it open in less than five seconds I just stopped using the lock altogether. It really is depressing how easily some locks can be defeated, and helps you learn how to appreciate a good lock, even though most typical criminals aren't picking locks.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Obviously local laws may vary but all y'all fidgeting people need to try picking locks. I don't specifically do it as a fidgety thing, and of course I don't just walk around with a Master #1 and my picks, but on long conference calls or while sitting around thinking over a technical problem it's a nice way to keep your hands busy. I handed a practice Master lock and a single pick to several people I know who've never tried locksport and all of them busted it open in short order, and every single one of them grinned like I do when popping a new lock for the first time. It's not even terribly expensive to get into, either.

As to actual purchases I just bought Battlefield 1 for PS4 so I can play with my IRL gaming friends and I'm so close to just buying it for PC as well so I can play this weekend.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Got a 6-port Anker charger to clean up the charging area.

Also, got a lock to practice picking on and it's a real doozy. Master 410 lock out/tag out lock. $9, 6 pins, all security drivers with standard key pins. Usually 5 spools and one serrated.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

neongrey posted:

Probably not, the lack of water solubility is probably gonna be an issue there.

My preferred cleaning method there is simmering it in milk and making hot chocolate, but on anything bigger than a vape stem this is probably both impractical and unwise.

Ultrasonic cleaners do work well on pipes, but will elevate the temp of the liquid, so use isopropyl and keep a eye on the temperature.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I just scooped up a bike part from the Springfield Armory called the XD. My first handgun, was thinking about something smaller and single stack but carrying isn't necessarily in the cards so I went with a larger double stack. No real accessories yet as I haven't applied for my LTC, it came with a lock, and I've got lots of leftover cleaning supplies.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Coffee And Pie posted:

They're fine if you don't mind bit of stubble.

As a white guy with v curly hair, I should try that if I ever decide to shave my beard

Just be sure to follow the drat instructions, if you've shaved in the last 7 days or something it can do a real number on your skin.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Fozaldo posted:

45% yet so smooth and easy drinking.

Don't forget to try the Horse Neck drink from a few pages ago, I tried it over Super Bowl weekend and it was fantastic. Rye, ginger beer, bitters and a little lemon peel.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Not to poo poo on anyone's case preferences, hell I like my Nexus 6 I got new years 2015 due to this thread way better without a case... But I especially love Project Fi and my ~$30 phone bills every month, and that requires that I keep a pretty recent Google phone, so Spigen case it is. gently caress replacing this tool unless it really needs it.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

The last office I worked at was cleaning out some old junk and I got a SCSI Zip Drive (w/cable and a disc). I have no idea if it works because I have nothing to attach it to.

You'll hate it if you do use it, it's barely SCSI, like SCSI II narrow. I bought one in the '90s and instantly realized an IDE or USB model would be vastly superior.

Also, I'm surprised at all the reel-to-reel love. I have my dad's old Sony, not sure of the model number, and quite a few pre-recorded tapes. My tapes from the '80s all had music copied from cassette and that one Bill Cosby tape I really remember enjoying, much like Dave Chapelle described it in his new special. Gotta love the anachronistic tape boxes, I opened a pre-recorded commercial Frank Sinatra box expecting liner note only to find blank lines to write what I'd recorded on the tape.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

flosofl posted:

Waiting on this to be delivered today to replace my stock platter drive in my PS4.

I swapped for a 1TB platter drive, just be ready to spend ~1.5 hours/100GB of stuff currently on your drive for the backup, and about the same amount of time for the restore. I just deleted Drive Club and a couple of other hogs to get it down to ~300GB and it was less painful than the 6 hour failure before I deleted everything (bad external).

Josh Lyman posted:

When I was car shopping in January, I asked my friends who had cars with sunroofs and they said it wasn't worth the trouble of looking for one.

Did they lie to me???

One friend of mine found out after his first that it's a must-have feature for him, but sometimes they end up noisy or leaky and plenty of people go the other way and decide it's a never-need feature. The TC with panoramic sunroof is pretty tight compared to his old Saturn CL2 with it's placemat-sized hole, though to be fair that car was also tiny.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Trying to be more responsible towards work so I'm buying multiple pairs of nice shoes simultaneously. Got these two already, Johnston & Murphy Conard in plain toe black and tan cap toe (just imagine the black pair has an unadorned toe):
http://imgur.com/sWwb0EN
http://imgur.com/3nmVjjD

Seriously considering adding these Allen Edmonds, they are so nice:
http://imgur.com/yUDffUX

Also some new cedar shoe trees to help preserve them, and this wallet to replace my falling apart old one:
http://imgur.com/213E38o

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Don't Ask posted:

That's a nice wallet, got a link?

Here's an Amazon link, I got mine from a vendor rewards program but this is the model. It's available in several different interior colors, obviously.

Also, the Johnston & Murphy shoes are Conard cap toe, Conard plain toe and the Allen Edmonds' are the Del Ray.

Oddhair has a new favorite as of 21:05 on May 10, 2017

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Didn't really have a shoe shine kit so I just had to buy a stack of stuff to care for all these new leather shoes.
Fiebing's Saddle Soap
Melatonian creme polishes
Saphir leather rejuvenator
Saphir neutral wax polish for the gleam
Kiwi applicator/daubers
This brush from Kirby Allison's Hanger Project is supposed to be pretty good. I should have just paid the insane marup for his stuff on Amazon, now everything but the bush is here so it's all pretty much useless!

Also, these 601 La Bomba cigars are bombastic and amazing and like half off, got me a box of Nuclears:
https://www.cigarsinternational.com/p/601-la-bomba-cigars/1412413/

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

cyberia posted:

Cross-posting from the Ali Express thread in GBS, I got this patch:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mot...2677398391.html

I'm getting a 404 already!

I got some knives, was inspired by a switchblade a few pages back and got me one from Infinity at a gun show. $100, came with a second blade (neither has serration) and the outside of the knife is Cerakote so it's pretty durable. I was also inspired by the discussion around the switchblade and got some pepper spray because I also don't really want to defend myself with a pocket knife, nor am I particularly interested in stabbing anyone.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

OSU_Matthew posted:

Wait, weren't you just ragging on me, not even a page ago, for purchasing a Jeep?

I mean, I get it, they're not especially great vehicles, but drat, that's an astonishing lack of self awareness.

What I saw a poster in AI say was essentially "It's a shame that people buy the Liberty, patriot or Compass because they associate them with the older Jeeps (but they're worse.)" I work with a lady who has one of them and I kind of want to mention it to her but I also kind of don't, as I'd be impugning her taste, the taste of her husband who I really like, etc.

By way of comparison, check out this funny quote explaining why your Altima was (probably) also not a great car, through no fault of your own:

an oddly awful oud posted:

Nissans are marketed almost exclusively to subprime car buyers and are utter crap next to all their competition. They're the FCA of Japanese brands: dreary, shoddy plastic garbage with obsolescent engines, hateful transmissions, and suspension and chassis engineering that feels like every bushing is made of soft-serve. Altimas and Maximas are driven exclusively by people who can't afford a lovely BMW, but still want to weave through traffic and change lanes without signaling. If you're driving down a strip mall and suddenly feel a profound lash of depression, it's probably because there's a Nissan dealer nearby. They tried to build a front-wheel-drive LeMans car, missed the first three races, and managed to run exactly one (1) race with it before giving up. They turned the Pathfinder into a crossover to complement their crossover designed specifically for retirees (the Murano). Sitting in a Versa causes cancer and makes dogs commit suicide. Carlos Ghosn fired a superlaser and a million 300ZX TTs, R32 GT-Rs, and Sentra SE-Rs suddenly cried out and were then silenced, and now you can pay $1900 to put some Star Wars badges on your Rogue which helpfully comes with a helmet because they assume you're either a retard or ashamed to be driving it and want to hide your face. They looked at what happened to Mitsubishi since the 1990s and said "yes, I'll have some of that".

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I got an Acer 1440p monitor (used G7 G257 HU) even though my 7870 won't (likely) play anything new at 1440 but holy poo poo is it an upgrade over my 12-year-old Dell 2407. Really enjoying the higher res for videos, though.

Also, I got an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 holster and a JL 12W1V3 subwoofer to add to the GTI. Sadly no corgi, and my cat hates the bass, so no pics. Just imagine more VW tartan seats but with some boom added.

On another note, I don't know why I read this thread at work and then click on the men's underwear links like a dumbass.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

OSU_Matthew posted:

Oh whoah, I didn't know about the expansion... I thoroughly enjoyed Zero Dawn, almost certainly one of, if not ouright my favorite games of the year (even above Zelda and Mario Odessy). It's the expansion more storyline, or is it just junk like clothes and armor dlc?

It's good but I'd definitely recommend finishing the main game before the DLC for unspecified reasons.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Someone stealing your tickets is less of a problem now with RFID. I worked Day for Night last year in box office both days of the festival and the original purchaser of any ticket could show up and re-issue the armband based on their ID. Eventbrite was handling the ticketing and it all went very smoothly.

Oddhair has a new favorite as of 15:57 on Jan 5, 2018

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

As I understand it the big complaint isn't that the beer stops being good, but that Annheiser Busch InBev can claim micro brews are on the shelves and then point to their offerings, limiting the emergence of
independent beers onto limited shelf space.

As far as purchases, I just got a knife from Massdrop that I've been waiting on since like July, the
exclusive Boker model in S35VN steel.
It's really nice, almost too nice to carry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

There is a habenero cider that I adore so making my own spicy liquor sounds so good.

I really enjoy a couple of habaneros spiraled into a handle of Tito's, and the oily nature of alcohol means it carries the capsicum oils away pretty quickly. not sure if this would work quite the same with dried chilis but I expect it would. Bonus, if you use orange habaneros they end up bleached and looking like tapeworms.