Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Zahi posted:

Whats the difference between sous vide and a crockpot? I get the feeling its a pricy kitchen gadget I wouldn't use

I think the difference comes down to precision. You can set a specific temperature, and it'll stay at that temperature for the duration. A crockpot would be too variable for sous vide (edit: and too high, apparently).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I went out to get one thing, but found myself in a store with a bunch of stuff I've wanted to try, so

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Coffee And Pie posted:

Re: car chat, anyone have any experience with Mitsubishis? I've got my eye on an 03 Galant.

I had an '03 Galant for ten years. Over the course of a decade I had to replace the starter, the idle air control valve, and a window motor. Pretty reliable overall, and it was still running fine when I sold it earlier this year.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
They were doing a bit.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Bill Dungsroman posted:

Book is good, ja

Does it get better after the first one? It's been a while, but I remember thinking the book started off interesting and then turned into kind of a mess.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

betterinsodapop posted:

The app doesn't support Amazon video, which I do use occasionally. I have also heard that using the tablet is a hassle. Roku is just so drat easy and intuitive, so it made sense to me.

Can't you just control the TV with your phone? My 2015 D-series Vizio supports Google Cast pretty well.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

I know they're divisive, but I had decent results with a much older model, and I got this one secondhand for way below retail.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
A Valentine's Day gift:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

djfooboo posted:

Prius makes me mad because there were Honda Civics in the 90's getting that kind of gas mileage.

What kind of mileage are you seeing on Priuses?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

beefnoodle posted:

See? Fetishizing. It's just loving shaving. You're either using an electric razor, or you're shaving.

More content. For more fun with the Anova sous vide.

Look at you fetishizing cooking.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Bottom Liner posted:

SA auto resizes images these days, who cares?

It's making the mobile app choke for me, so there's that. Timg doesn't change how much you have to download, either. Just tack an l or an h at the end of an imgur filename to get something scaled down.

Toast Museum has a new favorite as of 05:47 on Feb 23, 2017

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Well, more than a little lemon peel.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

taqueso posted:

Why in the hell would they disguise snaps?!

Because buttons look better? I mean, just don't wear snaps, but I guess if you have to, you might as well make them look like buttons.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

colas posted:

What should I try next if I've tried the other bottom shelf stuff as well as Jack/Jim/Crown but want to stay under $50?

Are you sticking strictly to bourbon? If other whiskeys are on the table, Rittenhouse 100 proof rye is worth checking out. A bottle's like $27 around here.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I'm looking forward to playing with both of these in cocktails. Ancho Reyes has a nice spicy/smoky/sweet thing going on. I got the Aperol as sort of a second, softer attempt at getting into bitter ingredients after trying Campari and immediately regretting it.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I love my Aeropress, but

Android Apocalypse posted:

I got a 51oz one because I wanted a way to make a lot of coffee, especially when I entertain guests.

is not the use case I'd recommend an Aeropress for, unless they've started making a much larger model.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

The Sexual Shiite posted:

I've always felt that. I can't figure out exactly what triggers that for me, though. Why?

I'd never heard of her before googling her just now, but apparently she made some headlines a few days ago.

quote:

In the middle of Season 2, Episode 3 of The Pioneer Woman, star Ree Drummond pulls a batch of "Asian hot wings" out of the oven, but her kith and kin wrinkle their noses at the sight of this game-day snack. One member of her crew asks, "Where are the real wings?" Another dude says, "I don’t trust 'em." Drummond laughs and says, "I'm just kidding guys, I wouldn’t do that to you."

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Ultimate Mango posted:

This is a good post.

Now tell me the secret of how to use it to infuse booze. I have the one pictured and a large one but that you can't heat. I will infuse all the boozes.

I just read a thing about this a couple days ago. From what I understand you basically just add your ingredients, pressurize, and wait a few minutes. Let the pressure off slowly, then strain your newly infused booze.

Edit: found the article.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

ReidRansom posted:

I've had a nice memory foam mattress for some time now and I love them, but my fiancee doesn't, and so we use her spring mattress. This is going to be an issue in the future, I think.

Get one of each type in twin XL and put them side-by-side to get the same dimensions as a king-size mattress. There are various connectors out there to keep the mattresses from separating in the middle.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I didn't get quite that much of a discount, but I bought some liquor today too.

Haven't tried the vermouth yet, but the Bombay East made a nice John Collins.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

tangy yet delightful posted:

How is the East compared to the regular Sapphire?

It's been a minute since I've had the regular Sapphire, so I can't give too much of a head-to-head comparison, but the added lemongrass and black peppercorn do seem noticeable.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Apparently American tonic water is sweeter, and Bombay Sapphire East was designed to play better with it. I'm sure some of the fancier brands have lower sugar content, though.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

colas posted:

No one cares. I used to think people gave a poo poo when I was a teen, that if I wore a band shirt someone would quiz me "If your a fan name 3 songs by Gwar" ...that never happened.

It doesn't happen if you're a guy. Women I know definitely get dudes quizzing them like that.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Well go buy some poo poo that isn't shoes and tell us about it.

I got a friend some makeup for her birthday.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Speaking of shoes, how are Chuck IIs? Fit-wise, they're basically Chucks with some support, right?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I would watch a documentary on the chain of events that led to a Drew Carey doll being manufactured.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
god its so funny how he riles people up its the best

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

sterster posted:

Nope. If you care just listen to him talk.

I tried but couldn't get through the whole thing. The man is painfully unfunny. Ho ho, he called that company Milfuckee! That's not their name at all!

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Yeah, I watched the first ten minutes or so and didn't run into anything obviously racist. Is the complaint that he throws in some occasional Spanish words at random? Maybe the racism comes later in the video; otherwise, I've got no idea.

Anyway, I bought booze.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

betterinsodapop posted:

Yeah, that Four Roses Small Batch is GOOD. Enjoy! :cheers:

Thanks! I'm not super into sipping liquor neat, but I just made an Old Fashioned, and it's as nice as everyone says it is.

Sexual Lorax posted:

As someone whose knowledge of Irish Whiskey starts with Jameson and goes all the way up to Jameson, please tell me what you dig more about this. I likes me some brown liquor, and I appreciate reviews from actual people.

Seconded. I'm slowly reading through the whiskey thread, but I haven't hit a lot of Irish Whiskey discussion so far. I'm honestly not sure, like, what its niche is. I have at least a vague sense of other whiskeys' relative flavor profiles, but not for Irish whiskey.

Toast Museum has a new favorite as of 07:53 on Jun 11, 2017

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

bongwizzard posted:

What the gently caress is that? Like, the future is cool and all but I am not sure I want literal cyberpunk drugs.

It's from Robocop.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I bought about a gallon of vodka. In a few months it'll be a variety of infused spirits. The coffee and green tea flavors should be ready soonest, followed by orange, lemon, and black pepper, with strawberry probably taking the longest.

The wildcard is a fresh corn infusion I'm trying. There's a place here that uses corn milk in cocktails, so it seems like there's potential, but I'm pretty much flying blind.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Jerry Cotton posted:

Replace the coffee, green tea, orange, lemon, black pepper, strawberry, and corn with ammonium chloride.

I really wanted to like salmiakki :(

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Nephzinho posted:

It was great, until it stopped working for Synology.

When was that? Last time I messed with it was a few months ago, but it was working fine then.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Got some jeans on sale. $35 for two pairs, including shipping and tax.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

prom candy posted:

Koomus Pro CD Slot Magnet Mount for my phone. I could never find a good place to mount my phone in my car so this should solve that problem.

I tried a similar design and found it way too flimsy. I ended up taking a phone holder intended to clip to a fan vent, which actually fit more securely into the CD slot than the one intended to go there did, and JB Welding it into the CD slot. I never would have used the CD player anyway, so no loss there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

baram. posted:

it was the recommended router on wirecutter and i could get it here same day. :shrug:

Looks like the same model I've got. Works very well for me.