Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Dart posted:

Only when white smoke rises from Gametrailers HQ will we know that a new leader has arisen to guide us in our retail purchases.

The white smoke is created by burning the Cool Ranch Doritos, the black smoke from burning the Nacho Cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Excels posted:

So (not counting Nintendo because they did their own thing which was way better) how would you guys grade this year's E3 in terms of entertainment?

Can include cringe-factor
It was a down year, for trainwrecks. It seemed like everyone wanted to be professional for a change and I really didn't like that. That's probably why Nintendo's entire Tuesday was the best, because they seemed to be the only people to understand how silly E3 is supposed to be.

It sounds like Twitch's E3 coverage was trainwreck-quality, but I haven't seen any of it yet (I'm sure it's archived). I just know that they had personalities with ridiculous hair and no social skills.

triad
Jan 6, 2007

YOU KNEADED SOMEONE TO BLAME, SO YOU CRUST IT ON ME

jsr v2.0 posted:

Did anyone here happen to snap any photos of the Evolve setup at the Microsoft Booth? I worked that booth all 3 days, but don't have any pictures of it, or myself talking to people there.

Hey, yeah we've got a couple I think. PM me, if you're a 2K person you can just stop by my desk :) otherwise I'll figure out some way to get you shots

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Excels posted:

So (not counting Nintendo because they did their own thing which was way better) how would you guys grade this year's E3 in terms of entertainment?

Kinda low. If you like video trailers and stuff the conferences other than EA were fine to watch, but there was nothing you'd miss by just hitting up the wrap-up articles with lists of what was announced/shown and then going to YouTube for the trailers. Nobody hosed up in a very interesting way.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
I'd pay for a live stream of EA employees scrambling to figure out what they can actually show people. And then they just went, you know what, gently caress it. Let's just go full disclosure on everything, even the poo poo that's still at the drawing phase.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Excels posted:

Having not watched the Ubi and EA conferences or any of the streaming (due to work,) there was very little cringe factor in the big three with the only one standing out to me being the Sony conference's Spiderman guy talking about something which I can't even remember. Lego Spiderman? Nah, I'd have remembered if it was that. The big thing that people seem to be taking from this year is "there sure were a lot of delays" but in three or four years no-one is going to remember that part of it so its just another boring year in my opinion. Next one will probably be better as a lot of those 2015 games get released, Sony and MS march on with 3D goggle stuff and Nintendo does who knows what.

Lots of people are hyping Nintendo's conference as being the winner but I feel like we don't know if a lot of its games will stand the test of time. The big questions here for me are how Star Fox and Splatoon (and, I guess, the Zelda reveal but that was so vague that I expect the final game to look nothing like it) turn out. Will SF's new control scheme work? Will Nintendo's online policies cripple whatever community Splatoon gets or make it even better since you don't have to listen to Xbox Live idiots? I guess as far as entertainment goes I think I'd say that Microsoft's conference will probably look better in hindsight than it does today. Aside from the garbage single player CoD stuff most of its multiplat games have the potential to be good and I still don't see whats wrong with Sunset Overdrive. While watching theirs I was a little shocked by how colorful everything (non-CoD) was, I almost think that the complaints about brown/grey have got back to them. Lots of people say that Sony's conference was better but the game to be most excited about, Bloodborne, just didn't look like anything special in a trailer (note: I haven't played the souls games yet but can understand why people are excited.) I didn't see anything good about LBP, the multiplayer aspect just looked annoying. Oh, I guess thats one thing, there were tons of 4 player co-op games this year. Will people be making fun of that in the future?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Ubisoft had an incredibly embarrassing and lovely dance game that you play by waggling your cell phone around and they advertised it by having a couple of dozen pre-teens come out and dance to lovely music around a bunch of confused looking fat nerds, followed by a terrible fitness game demonstrated by the scrawniest French guy I've ever seen, a USA vs. France push-up contest in said terrible game where the American only won by being a lazy gently caress and doing half-assed push-ups, Aisha Tyler literally crying over one of the corniest CGI trailers I've ever seen, and Aisha Tyler generally towering over a bunch of tiny French men. It was really good.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Nothing will ever beat the 2010 Konami Conference, I suppose.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Excels posted:

Nothing will ever beat the 2010 Konami Conference, I suppose.

The Qualcomm conference last year did. Do check the video at the bottom after reading the summary of its insanity.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Saoshyant posted:

The Qualcomm conference last year did. Do check the video at the bottom after reading the summary of its insanity.

I will never get tired of watching that video. Just one glorious trainwreck after another. :allears:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Saoshyant posted:

quote:

To end the keynote, Maroon 5 came on stage to do an acoustic set. While it was a nice show for the people in attendance, livestream viewers had a different experience. Presumably because it didn't have the rights to broadcast Maroon 5's music, CES instead played silence, and then Dido over the audio track.

Brilliant.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Excels posted:

I'd pay for a live stream of EA employees scrambling to figure out what they can actually show people. And then they just went, you know what, gently caress it. Let's just go full disclosure on everything, even the poo poo that's still at the drawing phase.

BioWare's video was the highlight of that conference for me: "We're working on a new Mass Effect. It's going to be a game. It's going to have graphics. I think fans will like it. Also, we're making a new game. We can't even tell you what it's about yet, but know this: we do really ask ourselves questions before starting production!"

At least DICE had cool Star Wars props to talk about and Mirror's Edge grey box levels to show.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Which year and company had the cast of Glee come out to sing for a music game? I've blocked out the responsible party but not the horrible fact that it happened.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

Holy poo poo that opening.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If that's the next generation then I sure as gently caress am glad I'm 28 years old. :stare:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

Ps4 dude was swery, the guy behind deadly premonition. I assume you mean the picture of that guy smug with thrones of parks behind him.

:doh: Since I think his new game, D4, is still Xbox One exclusive, I'll have to watch an LP of it like I did with SuperGreatFriend's one of Deadly Premonition.

E: I would enjoy E3 a lot more if I wasn't so hung up about the games that weren't announced, rather than excited for the ones that were. There's no point in complaining about Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts III and The Last Guardian when we are getting Final Fantasy Type-0 HD, Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix and Grim Fandango in a much more reasonable time frame instead.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 17, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Saoshyant posted:

Have you guys overwhelmed that site or something, because I can't get it to load.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Lotish posted:

Have you guys overwhelmed that site or something, because I can't get it to load.

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7qTHbOEiDY

It's easily the most embarrassing presentation I've seen, and I've seen Tom Hanks at CES '09.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

e:nvm

Excels fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 17, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

This is somehow more appropriate then whatever year it was made for.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Oxyclean posted:

Especially the fact that it takes Sony slightly longer to fall off than the other two companies.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I've sent Jack Tretton to Japan. He won't be back for a while.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

JordanKai posted:

Especially the fact that it takes Sony slightly longer to fall off than the other two companies.

The flash of Reggie appearing should be replaced with Bendis to make it the most accurate.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Whoa whoa whoa everyone! You're all wrong, and Game Informer is here to tell you why!

It's kinda hilarious how much they ignored Nintendo.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

lmao he bestowed an award upon a game that didn't even get a trailer. it's grim fandango guys!! tim schafer DOES care!!!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

TARDISman posted:

Whoa whoa whoa everyone! You're all wrong, and Game Informer is here to tell you why!

It's kinda hilarious how much they ignored Nintendo.
They didn't even mention Splatoon?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

They didn't even mention Splatoon?

Nope, and Smash is mentioned all of once in explaining why it didn't win "Best Wii U Exclusive." Hell, the only two times Nintendo's even on the list is for their console's exclusives.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
This might just be me, but if your article is basically handing out awards for coolest trailer, you might not want to give one trailer 4 different awards and maybe break things up? Like Evolve can win multiplayer game and best in show, but then for best shooter maybe talk about a different game that impressed you like Splatoon or Rainbow Six: Siege?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Oxyclean posted:

I'm pretty sure last year Ubisoft was Luigi.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

DrProsek posted:

This might just be me, but if your article is basically handing out awards for coolest trailer, you might not want to give one trailer 4 different awards and maybe break things up? Like Evolve can win multiplayer game and best in show, but then for best shooter maybe talk about a different game that impressed you like Splatoon or Rainbow Six: Siege?

This is Game Informer, the in-store adver-zine of the nation's largest game retailer. Gamestop's business analysts told them these were the titles to bet on in Q3, and the editorial department got the memo.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Wait, people don't treat Game Informer like it's a legitimate magazine, do they?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Didn't Nintendo mostly go last? He probably started writing this before Microsoft's presentation was even ten minutes over to get it out now let's be realistic.

And yeah since Modern Warfare 2 GameStop literally only cares about the biggest budget AAA games and GI will always reflect this.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

raditts posted:

Wait, people don't treat Game Informer like it's a legitimate magazine, do they?

They often brag about how it has higher circulation than Playboy, though they generally leave out that it's hard to beat a business model where they literally give it away. It wasn't until last year that they really went gung ho with moving towards digital.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

raditts posted:

I don't, nobody I know does, but people get it free with their discount cards for Gamestop, and they aren't smart enough to know otherwise.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Are people seriously getting excited about loving Splatoon?

Yeah, can't wait to play that multiplayer game from famed multiplayer dev: Nintendo, that's aimed at the most insufferable assholes on the internet: children, on a dead loving platform. People who think Nintendo had a good showing at E3 have some kind of nostalgia mental illness.

DrProsek posted:

You're complaining that one "trailer" got 4 awards when Evolve was playable on the show floor and Splatoon and Rainbow Six were literally only trailers.

I'm not hyped for Evolve at all but jesus.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 18, 2014

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

AngryBooch posted:

Are people seriously getting excited about loving Splatoon?

Yeah, can't wait to play that multiplayer game from famed multiplayer dev: Nintendo, that's aimed at the most insufferable assholes on the internet: children, on a dead loving platform. People who think Nintendo had a good showing at E3 have some kind of nostalgia mental illness.

At least your user name is accurate.

Nintendo walked away with E3, starting with their digital event showing nothing but game after game and following it up with three days of live coverage going in depth with the titles they showed during said event.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

AngryBooch posted:

You're complaining that one "trailer" got 4 awards when Evolve was playable on the show floor and Splatoon and Rainbow Six were literally only trailers.

I'm not hyped for Evolve at all but jesus.

Uhhhhhh... Splatoon was definitely playable on the floor, it was two stations down from Smash Bros and it had one of the longer lines at E3.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

TARDISman posted:

Uhhhhhh... Splatoon was definitely playable on the floor, it was two stations down from Smash Bros and it had one of the longer lines at E3.

Oh yeah, nobody who actually played it was talking about it because it "features" gyroscopic aim. Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
^^^ :psyduck: you are very angry about video games

AngryBooch posted:

Splatoon was playable.

• Locked thread