Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

What am I missing here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Someone I've known since 9th grade unfriended me for saying that ESPN showing Michael Sam's kiss over and over again was reasonable because it was a historic moment.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Someone just shared this unironically.

The worst part is that she's a teacher at the ludicrously progressive private school I went from kindergarten all the way through high school. You would think she has a better understanding of...anything.

EDIT: She deleted it after I called it out for being stupid.

Henchman of Santa has a new favorite as of 14:47 on May 16, 2014

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

InediblePenguin posted:

there's a guy in the hospital in my town right now because he got beat up and kicked in the head because someone thought he was hitting on them in the bathroom of the country and western bar and we can't allow a homo to exist, but you know what, one time somebody made fun of a guy for being christian so we all know who's the real victims in this country don't we

Even that implies that Tebow has ever been made fun of for being Christian as opposed to evangelical. In order for Michael Sam (or Jason Collins in this case) to be equivalent to Tebow, he would need to wear eyeblack that said "I LIKE DICKS" and bend a dude over on the sideline every time he made a play.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
There are a few varieties. Fedora and t-shirt guys are more just nerds usually, whereas the really creepy guys are the ones that are in full 1950s business regalia all the time.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Sweater vests are usually fine.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Democratic gays and their demands for respect!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
So Macklemore dressed as a ridiculous Jewish caricature the other night and people got justifiably mad about it. The AV Club poked fun at his lame apology for it, and these are some of the comments (it's a public page):

If you understand stereotyping, you're the real anti-Semite!

If my friends don't care, why should anybody?! Dressing as a Nazi cartoon and ribbing my friends about their backgrounds are the same thing!

I don't know any Jews!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Whiskey Sours posted:

My cousin posted this on facebook today:

I'll let you guess which one she has.

Muscular dystrophy: an invisible illness

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ragequit posted:

Oh yes, he's a real sweetheart (who loves his guns and gets super worked up over dumb poo poo):

I would vote for a politician who publicly told someone to lick his taint in a heartbeat.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Not to start a derail, but Relay For Life isn't much more helpful.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I find the use of "pussy" distasteful, but let's just say that this and similar memes have definitely been alllll over my feed from my hockey enthusiast friends.

I saw one of these with that dude who died and was revived and then asked to be put back in the game. I commented that hockey fans are stupid and some other person said "No, we're just tougher." Yes, I'm sure you, the fans, are much tougher than the best basketball player on earth.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This weird dude I had a film class with posts pseudo-intellectual Less Wrong type statuses every once in a while

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

nucleicmaxid posted:

I don't understand how you got that from what he typed?

Africa, the continent, looks smaller then the USA, a country.

:thejoke:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My Facebook is usually a smug liberal echo chamber but some dipshit just posted this unironically, from the page "AMERICAN - STRONG!" with the caption

quote:

To lead the greatest, most elite military force in the world, one must have served in it first..........( Oh, and you must provide legal documentation you were BORN HERE!)

You might think this some grumpy old relative, but no, it's a 23-year-old who just graduated from my small liberal arts college. I give absolutely zero shits about this person so I responded:

quote:

Economic policy, stance on social issues, diplomatic skills, general ability to oversee the myriad issues of a world power with a population of 300 million: less important than military service and the location in which you popped out of your mom.
We'll see where it goes. a few weeks ago he posted an article criticizing #YesAllWomen and praised one of his dumb high school buddies who actually said "what if one of those women had just given Elliot Rodger the time of day?" He deleted the post soon after because the comments (from sane people) got "too inflammatory."

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Retail Slave posted:

Did this person vote for Romney in 2012? Cuz yeah....

Almost assuredly. After I spent a few comments arguing with a fascist who said we should have bombed Bowe Bergdahl he came in and was like "yeah, it's silly that it would be the only requirement, but still!"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I should have done some basic research on that for the sake of :smug: but now it would be too late. The guy who was doing all the arguing was an Italian frat guy who I've heard from multiple sources is crazy racist and just terrible to be around. I didn't feel like bothering.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
An aspiring comedian I went to college with posted an eyeroller of a joke about Germany following their World Cup drubbing of Brazil. Stupidity ensued.

I don't have social fixer so I apologize for the crappy format.

90 people like this. Some key exchanges:

OP: "I'll be honest: I don't care. If you have nothing better to do but troll statuses and post how offended you are, I can't find it in me to care. You think I'm some idiot trying to get a laugh from a joke, then yes you're right. That's all I am, a joker. By the way what was that thing, "Back to Back World War Champs...If you honestly think that I think that all Germans are nazis, then you could not be more wrong. Sorry I put off this air of being a raging ignorant racist."

Angry person: "Dude... You can't say you want things politically correct and then write things like that. No one is "trolling your statuses" I'm sure that the people who commented are like myself, saw your pun and found it offensive."

OP: "Actually of course I can because of the first amendment. I acn be incredibly insightful and be intelligent because that's who I am, but I am also a comedian. I separate the two. You'll know when I'm serious I promise."

---

OP: "First things first, this is a riveting discussion I actually am beginning to enjoy this. Second, I am not apologising for this post. This is a joke. I promise if a better comedian made this joke, it would be great but for some reason I made it and it became a whole thing. I'm sorry if you're offended but it is a dumb play on words. The dumbest play on words. There are worse things to be mad about."

---

A series of morons arrive.

Moron 1: "Say what you want man if people are offended who cares they have every right to be doesn't mean you can't say what you want and honestly it was just a joke if you can't handle those what are you doing using the internet"

Moron 2: "There is no true reason why any of you above should be offended. Were any of you directly affected by the nazis? Are any of you German? It's a stupid little joke. One of those ha ha moments. I guarantee you all have heard and/or said something way worse than this but you weren't complaining because you thought it was funny.. Dumb trolls."

Moron 3: "this is funny as hell hahaha perfect wordplay... anyone who cant take a little racial humor must really hate life racist jokes are the best jokes.. but real racism is not funny in anyway and no im not racist lol"

Obligatory SJW post that means well but is really just weird here: "hey guys! I super understand why some of you are offended, but I just wanted to drop by and say something to those of you suggesting that one can compare a joke about Nazi Germany to racist, ableist, islamophobic, etc. jokes. The Nazi comment may be hurtful, but those who are affected by it are not in the same unique positions as many other minorities are. Anyone who thinks that is comparing apples to oranges. Just a thought!"

Moron 2: "The way I see it is like this, if you are not directly impacted by something than you shouldn't really say much. ie: even if you are of German nationality you shouldn't get offended for the simple fact that you didn't go through the nazi times. Just like how black people today can't complain about slavery when they themselves were actually never slaves or were around were slavery still existed. Take it how you wish. Just my opinion."

Moron 4: "The fact that people find this offensive is just sad. We are well past World War II and none of you commenting on this were even alive at the time. If you can't appreciate the fact that this is a funny pun on words then don't bother commenting. Seriously people stop hating on [original poster] and find something more productive to do"

---

Then a German friend of his posted on his wall about how offended they were, and his apology was this (it should be noted that he is a black Muslim).

"I know we are both third culture kids, and I know that things aren't easy, but I cannot step off from this. It is a terrible joke, like terrible and I'm sorry it offended you. Everything is down to interpretation. You took it as a hateful attack, I wrote it as a play on the words "not see." The status isn't meant to be me thinking all Germans are Nazis, or that Germany made a Nazi attack against Brazil, it is supposed to be a lame joke, which is what it is. I promise I've heard bad things about Germans and Africans and even being a Muslim, but I take everything and look past the words. I'm sorry it cut you so deep."

Personally I was offended because I hate lovely jokes more than their implications.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
You mean this part?

quote:

Personally I was offended because I hate lovely jokes more than their implications.
More or less. I said I was offended not because I'm Jewish but because jokes about Germany and Nazi are cliched. Then I told him he'll need to handle hecklers better if he wants to be a comedian and that his joke combined the wordplay of a middle-aged aunt with the cultural stereotyping of Jeff Dunham. He took it as a valid point and admits that the joke sucks, but continues putting his foot in his mouth about the offensiveness aspect..

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Breaky posted:

To return to topic. Sorry for the buzzfeed link but it summarizes things nicely.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lukelewis/no-internet-steven-spielberg-does-not-hunt-dinosaurs?bffb

Idiots thought that Spielberg posing with the Triceratops from Jurassic park was him really killing one.

The author of that article missed that this comment was satirical too:

quote:

He should be killed instead. Beautiful creature innocently living millions of years ago then this monster comes along.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My mom's insane high school friend, who lives in a retirement community and still lived off of her parents checks until recently, saw Yngwie Malmsteen last night. Unfortunately imgur is being wonky so here it is in quote form:

quote:

OMG, the show was FANTASTIC! Definitely one of the top five experiences of my life, and I've had a few pretty amazing experiences! I was in the seventh row but not close enough to get any of the guitar picks that he was kicking off one of his boots when he did high kicks in the air. Hard to believe this guy is 51. He's aged extremely well and is in top form. He also played my favorite song of his, and the crowd was crazy, even though it was a very small venue and not sold out. He really put on quite a show. Bumblefoot was great too (used to play guitar for GNR), and of course Gary Hoey was incredible too. I started texting the guy sitting (or rather standing) next to me and he sent me some incredible pictures and we texted until 2:00 the next morning, but I haven't heard from him since so I guess he was just drunk or something to be so friendly. Too bad for my cougar tendency; he was exactly HALF my age: 27. Actually I won't be 54 til next month, but whatever. Still living hand to mouth, worse financially than I have ever been, but somehow loving friends have been loaning me $20 or so to get by until the next payday, at which point I pay them back right away. Thank you to all of you. You know who you are. I am doing great, actually. No complaints of any real consequence. I miss you all so much!
From normal concert review to drunk cougaring to give me money! in no time.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kavak posted:

I'm sorry, what's going on here? Did she retire with a big inheritance or something or are her elderly parents seriously supporting their retired middle-aged daughter?

The latter. She is listed as employed at "wherever I am needed."

She's a recovering drug addict (lithium, among other things) who lives in Arizona off of parental checks, friends and maybe disability. Of course, she always posts about how she hates her parents and blames them for all of her issues, especially her dad. She also hates Obama and all things Democrat, even though she is a walking Reagan nightmare. Every once in a while she makes a grandiose gesture about changing her name because she associates her real one with all of her terrible problems, so she has a fake name on Facebook now. This is different than the name she was initially going to change to, which was "Gisele," a hyphenated last name combining two of her other friends, and then my sister's name as a middle name. She has never met my sister, who won't even accept her friend request, but thought it sounded better than my mother's name (it doesn't). She also doesn't understand how Facebook works at all and always demands help from her friend list. If she doesn't get it within 20 minutes she will post about how everyone is ignoring her.

This is seriously just the tip of the iceberg. I could post every status she ever had if I really wanted to. I had a few in the last thread but there wasn't much response.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Sorry, she was using lithium to treat her other problems. It was obviously not very effective.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Segmentation Fault posted:

Reminds me of this. Xbox Live is a social medium!

And people think Kevin Durant is too quiet.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

M_Sinistrari posted:

It just strikes me odd because vegans are making the lifestyle change choice, but then going through contortions to almost but not quite have the stuff they've given up. But then what do I know, I tried some vegan bacon stuff once and it tasted like rear end.

They're usually making that choice for ethical or environmental reasons, not because they don't like meat.

Once they figure out how to make it flavorful, synthetic meat will save us all.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Someone I went to college with has posted this exact status three times in the past week, in both English and Spanish (she live sin Peru), and I'm pretty sure I had seen it from her at least twice before.

quote:

"You know, sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of insane courage. Just literally twenty seconds of just embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it."~We bought a Zoo
Who the gently caress saw and actually found We Bought a Zoo memorable?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
To be fair I would take a version of Facebook where everyone is trying to awkwardly hook up with each other over the daily flood of Gaza posts right now.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Aerofallosov posted:

Yeah, I have a rabidly pro-Isreal person posting on Facebook. I had to hide his posts or risk giving in to the urge to correct him.

My Facebook is usually a liberal echo chamber so it's mostly pro-Palestine and the smug levels are every bit as irritating even when they're normally in the right.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

karl fungus posted:

Do people in western countries besides the US also get pissy about immigrants too?

Several European countries elected literal fascists to their governments recently so, uh, yeah.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
So somebody I vaguely know posted a lengthy but reasonable rant about how his district has been gerrymandered and his vote won't count for anything because his district is now overwhelmingly democratic. Some people lamented the current state of the U.S. political system, yadda yadda yadda. Then some dude whose Facebook middle name is "DJ TruSmoke" came in with this:

quote:

It's astonishing to see that political parties have been mutilated behind the scenes so much that it has been broken down to upper and lower class citizenry...speckling the other districts with incumbent wealthy and lumping the complete lower class into a demographic where they total only count for a couple votes electorially speaking. I'm ready to Execute Traitors in the name of the American people and on behalf of the constitution of the united states. circa 1776
At first I thought that he was being ironic, but when someone sarcastically said "Yes, violent revolution is the answer," he responded with this gem:

quote:

But you see it's all bullshit ...it doesn't matter if all the dems and all the gop vote or not...Our votes don't even count for poo poo..except to amuse the campaigners in a popularity poll. The assholes who hold the electoral college votes decide who makes it or not. Sounds an awful lot like the federal reserve...you the people believe the fed. Res. Is an entity of the united states government, but in fact is a privately owned and operated corporation run by offshore non-u.s. citizen conglomerate of banker cartel. And by believing the hype we have sold the next 100 generations into economic slavery....yes SLAVERY.
Now what part of this seems friendly and un-traitorous to the people to you?
Violence? No...i prefer the term Justice.
Integrity is the ability to do right by others even when nobody is paying attention.
Something the powers that be forgot a very long time ago.
They'r days are numbered.
People Should be Pissed! Bubbles of perfect plastic government fabricated lives completely burst!
And i do expect a certain ammount of bashing from the completely lost and brainwashed but it's ok. There is no Victory without sacrifice.
:psyduck:

EDIT: I clicked on his profile and oh my god it's just a bunch of these

EDIT 2: He has now said that, "scalability wise" the minimum wage should be $54.00/hr. Fifty-four.

Henchman of Santa has a new favorite as of 20:24 on Jul 31, 2014

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Don Gato posted:

The Constitution was ratified in 1788, the only thing signed in 1776 was the Declaration of Independence but they're totally the same thing :histdowns:

I can't even begin to parse why anyone would think that. Is it because Americans are worth that much more?

Inflation, I guess. Here is his response to someone asking where he pulled that number from.

quote:

How is it that $7.15usd per hour is called minimum wage, and yet an average person with no children and a high school diploma cannot afford an apartment or a place to live on this minimum living wage...he/she has to work 2- 40 hour a week jobs and something part-time just to eat a meal in this apartment he/she gets to see awake for an hour a week. Where does his/her quality of life go? Assuredly not into quality living.
That person becomes a zombie, a slave to the economic fat cats who golf all year and report for work maybe 3 weeks total of 52.

Add somebody trying to survive with children and unless they have a favor at some hi pay job being called in they are screwed, forcibly thrown into the american dream meat grinder and forgotten. Slavery, yes i see it as slavery. How is it our fathers and grandfathers had jobs/military careers right out of high school and could work a 40 hour work week and comfortably provide for our families and we today cannot? Do you think this is cool or trendy? Excuse the world if they cannot afford a college education like all the little rich kids and have mommy and daddy make a call to get them into congress. Bottom line this sucks bro! I don't see this as living at all. It's no wonder so many choose to leave reality for hallucinogenic treatments.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Profound stuff, guy whose cover photo was Three Days Grace tour dates.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gerblyn posted:

And you saying " French people are racist" isn't racist because...?

Because French isn't a race.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
A woman who works for my mom and is Facebook friends with me is a 40-year-old vegan lesbian who posts mostly image macros about music and animal rights (her lizards are basically her children). She is a nice person, but occasionally stuff like this pops out.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

sugar mouse posted:

Maybe an Animal Farm reference? If it is, I'd like it.

It's "Imagine" by John Lennon.

Actually that might be inaccurate. Her dogs are more like her children. She will post pictures of her lizards having sex with each other.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Palisader posted:

No images, though I can certainly grab them if anyone is interested for some reason.

I have several hardcore animal lovers on my Facebook. Lots of pets, talk about their pets all the time, that sort of thing. So why is it that those people are the only ones who share extremely graphic images of animals who have been tortured or mutilated PLEASE STOP DOING THAT PLEASE.

They're "just trying to get the word out!" but most of the time it's just Buzzfeed-style clickbait articles and seriously, just post some links to an animal shelter we can donate to, Jesus.

Because animal rights activists are as obnoxious and smug as it gets?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Zedd posted:

I own this book, I used to think it was a good book, It actually is a pretty bad book that makes a few decent points in the smuggest dick dorkins way possible. But at least I never got close to this level of Delusion :vince:

I once got in an argument on a friend's status about Richard Dawkins (she was a religious studies major who found him very annoying). I was pointing out how he compared the plight of atheists to that of homosexuals, and a gay Indian guy who worships came in and said, unironically, that he comes from a country where people are imprisoned for being gay and he still agrees with Dawkins, "but feel free to straight white boy educate me." I have never been so taken aback by a Facebook argument, and just let it go.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Anyone who still uses XD is not to be trusted. Does he realize that's supposed to be someone laughing really hard? Just imagine somebody laughing uncontrollably after all of those sentences.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The woman who posted that dumb pig/John Lennon image macro just posted "art" she made for her and her girlfriend's anniversary, which was just a picture of them with a multicolored stripe filter over it and the text "Happy 62 Months" in the bottom right corner.

Yes, you read that right. A 62 month anniversary. She is 40 years old, has been in a relationship for over five years, and is still posting monthaversary stuff. They also went to a Linkin Park/30 Seconds to Mars concert last week, but admittedly that's me being judgmental about music taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

bean_shadow posted:

Isn't this mostly white people posting this poo poo?

Welcome to Social Justice

• Locked thread