Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

HairyManling posted:

Tell her that when she smokes this one she's releasing all that stored CO2 back into the atmosphere.

Many strains of cannabis are actually bred to produce very little THC and focus on the production of hemp fiber, which is pretty useful for things that aren't eating your weight in nachos. So it's not all that stupid. The rest of those images make up for it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Darth Freddy posted:

So the fact that I like V8 juice means that I will never get sick or get cancer?

*bops a terminal, nearly skeletal kid on his deathbed*

Could'a had a V8!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Just got rid of another high school friend on Facebook.

Well drat, tell me how you really feel!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

casual poster posted:

Aren't people getting a little too old to be using "the dictionary states....." when arguing/writing? I remember using that crap when I was back in HS and still thought of it as a pretty lazy line. I hope I'm not the only one who thinks this.

I mean there are times where someone has an outright wrong interpretation of the word but when it comes to rhetoric it's absolutely loving useless. It's really only an argument to be deployed when you're drunk with friends and trying to piss each other off.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Actually while "the dictionary states" might be a bit stupid it's vitally important in any kind of argument to make sure all parties are using the same definitions for any given term. It isn't strictly wrong to try and come to an agreement on that kind of thing, though a lot of times it ends up just being a smokescreen to throw the argument off and get out of it.

Yeah this is true, but for the love of god people should not phrase it as "the dictionary says this." It works far better as a dialog or someone just saying "this is what I mean when I say this, fyi." Breaking out a dictionary definition comes off as massively pedantic which is generally not going to help your case.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The gently caress dude, I thought God was omnipotent?

Also that sounds like a great blow-off class.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Well, when the person is making a definitional argument in the first place ("Bigot is defined as"), pulling the "the dictionary says" argument is saying "no, you idiot, this is an actual definition, and your 'definition' is garbage". Under literally any other circumstances, I agree that it's utter poo poo - I just think in this case it comes across well because it's actually pulling a definition from a source rather than out of one's rear end.

Maybe but then you get into the problem of "well MY dictionary says THIS" and also that a dictionary isn't a great tool for discussing the intricacies of how people actually use language. Though ultimately, yeah, that moron needs a refresher on what "bigot" actually means if they think it's "anyone who disagrees with me".

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Double Plus Good posted:

It's, like, a thing in the deeper levels of tumblr-gender spaces. It started from people generating their own gender-neutral pronoun sets and devolved into themed sets. It gets really confusing when I see bun reblog conversation with other tumblrites and they all use different pronouns that at first glance just look like a common noun. Here, here's a handy list:

I don't loving get this. English already handles gender-neutral pronouns! Granted, there's some negative association there, but we took back "queer" god drat it! Queer, of all words!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

YellerBill posted:

A good friend of mine shared that stupid "straight pride" thing out of nowhere. Something like half of her facebook friends are gay. :psyduck:
Yellow is me.

A friend of mine was talking with me about this the other day. I was shocked that he actually considered sharing it before he read some of the people commenting on it; apparently he didn't make the connection that it could somehow be hateful.

He knows I'm bi and his sister is gay and engaged, with him intending to be best man at the wedding, so I know he doesn't harbor any homophobia. He's just... really bad at empathy I guess.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Tracula posted:

What are his thoughts on White History Month?

Pretty much the same. He's practically a sociopath, you have to make it really clear to him when he goes too far with a joke or being an rear end in a top hat.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it in another of these threads, but a guy I knew from high school followed a bunch of pages devoted to Pokemon erotica and liking links they posted to some of the weirdest fanfiction I've ever seen. I never got screencaps, though, it was just too weird and sad. After I told him he deleted the posts and was way more careful about what got published to his wall.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Axeman Jim posted:

To be honest I'm just perplexed by this one.

This is basically Jaden Smith level.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Apogee15 posted:

Why care about a comedian/musician making an offensive joke/appearance? That seems like it should be WAY down the list of things to get upset about.

"There are more important things" implies that we all must devote ourselves entirely to one outrage. You can think what Macklemore did was lovely while also knowing it's not a terrorist attack or something.

Puntification posted:

But like why did they make that joke(?). It seems like a stupid and pointless reference to make just cos macklemoore's surname sounds a bit like Michael Moore.

The name of the page is "Shares from Your Aunt", I'm guessing it parodies the out-of-touch and dumb-as-gently caress relatives everyone has.

Arsonist Daria has a new favorite as of 20:43 on May 20, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Kraps posted:

I'm an introvert. I'm shy. I don't do small talk and am realizing that it's pretty horrible please someone teach me how not even joking.

There is nothing you can do. You will forever be a nerd a poor, misunderstood soul.

I suggest sharing images that express your angst.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

strangemusic posted:

"Won't be the first time the Chinese build a railroad in North America"

I hate the sentiment, but god drat, this is ice cold.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Segmentation Fault posted:

The fact that the latest shooter guy is an MRA is Extremely Good poo poo because now instead of focusing on how people need psychological help in order to prevent these disasters we can just point at this guy and laugh at him for buying into a cult-like ideal when he felt disempowered.

On the other hand I think it demonstrates that all of these insane bastards need help.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
What would a food services job be without random assholes who have to be right about the most pointless bullshit?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

You Awake Yet?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Hopefully Obamacare will be expanded to cover blowjobs.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Jollity Farm posted:

One of my friends has liked The Amazing Atheist. I'm assuming my friend doesn't know he put a banana in his bottom, but a cursory glance at his facebook page shows him complaining about feminists in nearly every post. Either she didn't read any of that and just went "yes, atheism!" - or she thinks him being a horrible anti-feminist is acceptable if he is also a vocal atheist.

79,959 other people also "like" his page, though. Perhaps it's me that's peculiar after all.

Someone loving themselves with a banana, while hilarious, isn't a great reason to find someone loathsome. Especially when there's so much more to hate the guy for, like everything he says and also his screen name being a twice removed pun.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

SteelMentor posted:

Oh God, that raging idiot from the other night came back, even more of a completely loathsome dickhead. (He's Barry Wine, I'm Ray Volver)

http://imgur.com/a/rknJH for the rest of it if you dare, it only gets worse from here.

At least the photoshop was funny, just probably not as they intended.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Picnic Princess posted:

"UKIP r going to win easily to save our over populated country!"

Death camps it is, then.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Man, demons keep their schedules loving tight.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
So a guy from my high school class had a falling out with his girlfriend a few months ago, and he still refuses to stop shaming her publicly. Enjoy parsing the hashtags.

I could look through his posts and find like a dozen more of these things but then I'd have to wade through dozens of pictures of him shirtless and ARE TROOPS image macros.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

What if...uh... what if the demon sees the picture and doesn't share it?

WHAT HAPPENS THEN?

They have a few beers and catch up on Game of Thrones.

Except Mephistopheles. Motherfucker read the books and has to tell you everything that's different. What a prick he is.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

glowing-fish posted:

This is almost a generically condescending "Wake Up Sheeple! The Media is lying to you!" post.

I guess if you wanted to you could count through the specific strawmen. But some of the things on the right hand side are indeed very relevant: the housing market is something that people should pay attention to, and I wouldn't put it quite on the level of Justin Bieber.

Some of that stuff on the left is hilarious.

"How the gently caress do I grow food?! It's impossible!"

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
My favorite thing people complain about in food is dyes from insects. You'd think people so worried about the terror of having chemicals(!!) in poo poo would be happy for a company using natural ingredients. I assume they just use it to creep people out and make them more cynical about what is in your food.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

RareAcumen posted:

I think the conversation drifted off because you might've meant to post in the Uncharted 3 thread!

It was also a topic on the last page.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

EZipperelli posted:

So this popped up today because a friend of mine (red) commented on this horseshit. I know none of these people except for red, and I'm dark blue. Yeah, I fed into it...

I mean, black and brown can't be serious. I feel like I'm being trolled harder then I've ever been trolled before. People can't be this dumb... Can they?

Oh come on, you should know by now how stupid people are. I know people like black and brown personally and they're why I drink.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Anatharon posted:

The ways of people's fetishes are mysterious indeed.

What I REALLY wonder is why you'd want your name slapped across the front.

Exhibitionism.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Goosed it. posted:

This girl is so dumb about everything but thinks she is the best at all the things. It's amazing.

Holy gently caress what an idiot.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Are they an idiot, or a genius?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

SybilVimes posted:

Observer bias too - had Commubot died, he'd not be here to retell the anecdote

Neither communism nor robots ever truly die.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Mister Adequate posted:

Don't know these people, just got linked to it.

Idiots on Social Media: Islam is an continent

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Jesus is a loving creepy dude.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Wizard of Smart posted:

Um... I know tons of evangelicals that call being gay a sin. Where are you from that you don't have that?

And how's the cost of living?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Laocius posted:

Now that I think about it, it's really not at all surprising that there would be a lot of overlap between freemen and MRAs.

The venn diagram of hyper-conservative ideals gets closer and closer to a perfect circle every year.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Why are they asking Monsanto to poison the Punisher?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Blind Pineapple posted:

Normally these two are among the first to beat the "Support are troops" drum. Not this guy Obama likes, though, gently caress him.

This poo poo is really pissing me off. Most of the time the right-wing bullshit is just targeted at Obama, and even though it's madness, it's madness that comes with the job (unless you're a republican). Shaming a loving POW is just awful, though. No excuse for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The only thing worse than being stabbed is being stabbed and having the excuse be one of the most tired memes on the Internet.

• Locked thread