Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

JordanKai posted:

Blue shells are incredibly rare in Mario Kart 8 from what I've heard.

Whoever told you this is probably lying. It's Mario Kart for godssakes!

I'm really not sure how to feel about claims that this is the "best mario kart ever" when it apparently doesn't even have proper Battle Mode tracks :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
MK8 is pretty alright, but it's far from perfect. It's basically "More Of (game you liked)" personified, except they made battle mode complete rear end and basically killed the interest most of my friends had for the game, so a lot of them aren't even considering buying it. Forcing me to look at the gamepad for the map or the other racer's items feels like a step backwards for the game as a whole, and isn't a 'feature' I've ever wanted in a console Mario Kart. There's a lack of stuff to do in single player beyond simply racing the AI: no extra challenges to strive for outside of three starring the cups, and a lack of All-Cup mode means that the final challenge is ultimately just "do it again, in MIRROR MODE." Online Multiplayer has been laggy as all hell for me, which has me strongly considering getting the network adapter for my Wii U, as I think that has something more to do with the fact that my system is on a wireless connection in an apartment complex.

A number of tracks feel REMARKABLY short. I get that's kinda Mario Kart's thing, but the default three laps just doesn't feel like you get a lot of time on each course to get anything done. The final track on Lightning Cup looks pretty... but it's kinda disappointing to see the whole game capped off by a track you can race through in under a minute and a half (on top of the course itself still being a massive bore to actually drive on).

Pretty happy that the frequency of Blue Shells has been reduced from MK 7 and MK Wii, no game should 'reward' playing poorly with the ability to smack players who are doing well. Also really happy with the Super Horn, though it doesn't appear nearly enough. The nerdrage I've heard from some players after I blocked their Blue Shell with it was the sort of stuff I'd expect to hear in a game of CoD. It's also pretty easy evade Blue Shells with mushrooms, since they heavily telegraph when they're about to hit you.

Bikes pretty much destroy Karts again, kinda wish that wasn't the case. With the Sport Bike and Slick tires, and anyone who is in the heavier weight classes, you can basically poo poo all over any other kart combo 90% of the time because you can take turns so much better than anything else, and it basically also eliminates the need to take certain alternate routes. For example, in Toad's Harbor, there's that section just before the big downhill where you can go on the wall and hit a bunch of dash ramps. However, it's SIGNIFICANTLY FASTER to just stay on the ground, drifting and boosting on the inside of the trolleys, and you'll outrun anyone taking the wall route, regardless of whether or not they are using a bike or a kart.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

AgentJotun posted:

How does the drifting work? Is it just hold it for longer to go from blue to orange sparks or do you have to turn direction quickly like Double Dash(?)

Pretty much this, thought the tighter you try to make the drift, the faster you'll reach orange sparks.

Still the worst decision they've ever done for the series.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Bland posted:

It's definitely not everyone as a whole because I've done hours of racing with zero lag and so have many others

I can believe this, because almost every wireless connection I try to deal with in my complex is a shitshow. There's like fifty routers in relatively close proximity of mine, and I've had terrible connection speeds with anything to do with Nintendo since I moved here. I've tried the different channels, I've tried resetting, I've tried different security settings, I just don't get good connections in with the Nintendo Network.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Amppelix posted:

What, you actually liked wiggling the stick/mashing the dpad furiously to get boost? That was the worst part of MKDS and you couldn't play it for longer than an hour without messing up your thumb completely.

Maybe you shouldn't be such a WUSS about drifting in Mario Kart :smugbert:

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

JordanKai posted:

But they make up for it with Retro Rainbow Road being the best one ever. :colbert:

The best part of N64 Rainbow Road was the fact that you could skip most of it with a Mushroom back in MK64. The Wii U version doesn't have that, it's just a one lap course you can finish in your sleep, and occasionally you can trick jump off the waving portions of the track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

JordanKai posted:

There are some tracks that also seriously need some extra item boxes. Donut Plains 3 is probably the biggest offender of this. I think it has only two sets of item boxes and they're both relatively close to the start. It's also a really boring track to begin with and has a couple of really frustrating turns.

Donut Plains 3 is killing all of my 150cc Banana Cup runs. :(

Donut Plains 3 has some amazing shortcuts, one of which can be done without mushrooms. When you go under water, you can cut the ramp leading out of the water, just past the retaining wall on the left, and follow a set of permanent tracks on the ground to launch out of the water onto another section of the course. You can cut a stupid amount of time off your time trial runs, and it tends to throw red shells off pretty easily.

• Locked thread