Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

haveblue posted:

The NSA scandal is pretty significant and still ongoing.

Is it really a scandal if most people don't give a gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

When I go shooting random trash I'm not playing out a fantasy of killing anti-gun moms though. Maybe if they paint the mannequin black and put a hoodie on it it will be "just for fun" too.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

If you think universal background checks would be allowed even without any other reform mentioned, well, I have a 30 million person march you're invited to attend.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

If I've learned anything from experiences with local Tea Party folks, taxation is ok as long as it goes towards services they utilize or deem valuable(because it benefits them or their friends). The second undesirables(read: minorities or poorer folk) or even just democrats/liberals are benefiting there is a rush of anger.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

An Angry Bug posted:

They're only constitutional if you use deliberately obtuse Roberts-style excuses.

No you.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Why can they stereotype whites but i cant do it back??? -John "Amergin" Roberts

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Thomas Friedman gave my commencement address :suicide:

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

It is but please stop so we don't get into W: Next Level Mastermind derail again.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Relentlessboredomm posted:

If your blood pressure is a little low then you should pick up the new Taibbi book. This thing is a rage inducing machine. He, in his usual Taibbi way, demonstrates all the various ways the system is failing but its mostly focused on the Justice System. I'm starting to think Obama or more specifically Eric Holder is the worst thing to happen to the criminal justice system in decades. It's overwhelming how hard the shift has been. They've taken a slow drift and accelerated it exponentially.

Rage inducing is one way of putting it. I had to put down the book a few times because of a combination of bewilderment and anger, it's loving surreal.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Telesphorus posted:

lol

edit: Amazon Primed the new Taibbi book based on what I read on here

You wont be disappointed. Actually you will but not in the book itself.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Relentlessboredomm posted:

If the company is big enough and important enough well then a criminal charge might hurt the economy so its best to just take a large fine and avoid the court case.

Also, read the book.

A large fine that is orders of magnitude less than the immense profits they made off of their illegal activities because even if you fine them an amount relative to their pillaging it may have a negative impact on their financial status and :siren: COLLATERAL CONSEQUENCES :siren:

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

And yet neither side really cares about the collateral consequences of dragnet policing and completely destroying families over petty bullshit while hundreds of millions or even into the tens of billions are pilfered yearly by a bunch of sociopaths without an iota of justice.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Radish posted:

What about Taibbi's book is incorrect? I have not read it obviously so I can't vouch for its accuracy.

Just remember you're replying to Kiwi Ghost Chips.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Kalman posted:

Yes, you should. And when the investigation doesn't turn up enough to sustain a prosecution, you drop it.. You don't arrest someone before you have the evidence ("perp walk") and you don't indict someone when you know you're going to lose.

Good thing this logic doesn't hold for anyone stupid enough to be poor and/or a minority.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Kalman posted:

It should.

The solution to it not holding for them is not to apply the way they're treated to everyone else, though.

I'm glad you're suggesting that we pay exorbitant attorney fees for all the downtrodden of the country, because you don't honestly think that legitimate innocence is the reason the uber-affluent get off clean as a whistle in all these financial cases.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Fried Chicken posted:

Let's be honest, the best way to reform the militarization of police and prison complex would be to make the rich go through the same thing the poor do. If the Bush girls got harassed, beaten, strip searched and left in a cell over the weekend because of a baggie of pot you'd see changes.

It doesn't even take a bag of pot. It takes the suspicion of holding one which boils down to basic racial profiling because, well if you're wrong who gives a poo poo only scum decide to be poor.

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

What I meant is that the claim that police harassment against poor people is getting worse over time is hilariously ignorant. It hasn't been very many decades since explicit vagrancy laws were constitutional, and those laws were in place after Black Codes/Jim Crow, which of course were trying to reverse loving slavery.

I too completely forgot that NYC existed under Guliani and Bloomberg, or any of the illegal immigration targeted legislation in numerous states.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Fried Chicken posted:

"So hey, last time we brought charges we just destroyed every aspect of their personal lives short of jail. Guess there is no point in bringing charges then" is seriously your argument?

Yeah the fact that the jurors blew off the emails in bear sterns sucks, but those bastards still paid a poo poo ton in legal fees, got dragged through the mud, and can't find jobs in the business. That you are straight up arguing even that is too much is exactly why people are posting "gently caress it, let's just kill them"

I'd at least appreciate the comedic value in the existential dread leading to "gently caress it, let's just kill them" as a response of abject powerlessness. This disgusting apologism of "no one was wrong because they're not in jail" is so absurd it's somehow worse than plain stockholm syndrome.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

mlmp08 posted:

This probably sounded cool in your head, but just shut up. This is the most simplistic pseudo-psychology explanation for things.

edit for article link: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/06/02/we-lost-soldiers-in-the-hunt-for-bergdahl-a-guy-who-walked-off-in-the-dead-of-night.html

Oh well if yet another soldier says he deserted then obviously he deserted and that's the end of that chapter. You're casually dismissing the psychological explanation given and then saying "welp this guy said it happened this way" without realizing its a hodgepodge of hearsay and assumptions. Being in proximity to him doesn't automatically give them credibility, exactly for the reasons people have listed that you dismiss.

And again, the point still stands. It doesn't matter what he did, the goal should be his retrieval for either a parade and vacation or put to a court for alleged crimes and adequate punishment.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

He could have personally went up to 6 soldiers and shot them in the head, and I'd still think a non-controversal opinion would be bringing him back to the US to face his crimes in court.

Considering whatever he has done is far less than that, what's the problem other than Obama Do A Thing?

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Amergin has to be a troll because he has moments of clarity that are just too self-aware. But that FYGments thing was great.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

vulturesrow posted:

So that minimum wage increase to 15$ in SeaTac is working out well. Of course there was really no way to know what might happen. :shrug:

I'm sure glad we have a pro-business policy group to show us a valet parking receipt, looks like prime evidence for the case against minimum wage.

edit: love their other articles https://www.washingtonpolicy.org/blog/post/overdramatizing-public-transit-right-diminishes-credibility

seriously though these people are the regular "free market cures all" scum.

esto es malo fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Seriously read that anti-public transportation piece they put out, its disgusting.

• Locked thread