Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Y'all're lucky, drinking to forget just makes me more miserable. I can drink happily nowadays because the best candidate for the Republicans is still Jeb Bush, and they're showing signs of thinking it would be a good idea to attack Hillary Clinton over her husband's infidelity.

You say that like it won't be effective for a large number of Americans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

amanasleep posted:

This is almost comically nonsensical, since the majority needed to impeach is one they already have, and the majority they do not possess is not sufficient to convict. This is leaving aside that the NSA stuff is about the last thing that any Republican congress would use as grounds for impeachment.

Anyway, just so I can more accurately target the date of your departure, do you mean that the US House will vote to impeach if the Republicans gain a simple majority in the US Senate?

They don't want to do it now because the optics are poo poo at the moment. Impeaching Obama before an election looks incredibly petty and would drive democratic voters to the polls in huge numbers as a gently caress you to the republicans. In 2015 its a whole different ballgame as they will probably have a larger 'mandate' by controlling both houses.

I will be sad to see him go however. I could see it for Benghazi or something, but NSA spying? That doesn't piss off the republican base all that much, and it doesn't have the sting of a scandal which is the whole idea to an impeachment they know they are going to fail. I have a 50/50 feeling they will go for impeachment because they are loving insane, but I don't see how it would ever be about the NSA.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Amergin posted:

My point is that I expect better from NPR than "this person killed a black kid and is half-white therefore he's white."

Except that Zimmerman is visibly Caucasian, with a 'white' name. Literally the only reason I know he has any Hispanic background is because I have been told.

And that is on top of the fact that people of Hispanic descent are traditionally still considered 'white'. There is a reason that the term 'non Hispanic white' exists on a lot of political surveys when it comes to self identification.

The same is true of Obama incidentally. He looks black, he identifies as black. He isn't the countries first 'half black' president.

Caros fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 20, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

absolem posted:

Fun stuff, definitely

Simplified, it was caused primarily by failings in three areas.

First, the federal government decided that it was qualified to interfere in the banking industry. It did so in several ways: Regulations (which generally helped create larger, more monopolistic firms), private pressure on semi-private firms such as the FHLMC et al (largely designed to increase home ownership), and a combination of fiscal and monetary policies designed to keep interest rates low and large banks and the poor liquid.
Second, banks allowed pressure from the federal government in conjunction with prevailing positive economic indicators (created in part by the government) to override their desire for safety. This is due largely to government pressure on the FHLMC et al to increase home ownership and housing starts convincing the those organizations to forgo traditional safeguards and guarantee loans that were riskier than acceptable for the institution. When those organizations decided to buy (and signal that they would always buy) sub prime packages, many banks decided that since the government was largely happy with this course of events, they would always be able to sell these packages, causing them to forego the recommendations of their risk managers (or at least those with heads on their shoulders).
Third, loan consumers failed to take into account what they could truly afford, misled by government talk of home ownership and advertising by banks so hungry for profit they neglected to cover their asses.

Basically, the administration pushed the FHLMC et al to buy subprime packages, which caused banks to ignore risk warnings based on the incorrect assumption that there would always be a buyer for these packages, and go into a blind feeding frenzy. The combination of these two pressures and consumer ignorance meant that people actually bought stuff they couldn't afford. This was all backed up by artificial liquidity and artificially cheap money sponsored by the government. The crash was predicted well in advance by many Austrian economists. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with subprime lending, its just playing with worse odds, so you should do less of it.

A...are you real?

Wait, I just read to the bottom of this and realized that you are an austrian. Since I can't find the link to my old quote on the issue, I'm going to go ahead and repeat it really quick before I go to bed.

quote:

The crash was predicted well in advance by many Austrian economists. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with subprime lending, its just playing with worse odds, so you should do less of it.

There are a lot of things wrong with your post. Pretty much everything in fact, but this in particular is so wrong that I can't let it go unopposed.

So who are these Austrian economists? Well there are typically six to seven of them: Mark Thornton, Frank Shostak, Stefan Karlsson, Peter Schiff, Robert Wenzel, Hans F. Sennholz and Gereld Celente. I'm going to touch on them in turn:

Mark Thornton - Mark Thornton made his most public comments on this in a series of 2004 articles. These articles are noticable for recognizing that the housing market was in a bubble (which everyone knew) and that there could be a crash. Pretty much everything else in his articles, including his rationale for why the housing bubble exists (He thinks it is inflation rather than artificially low interest rates causing the giant pool of money to go looking for higher investments) is wrong. Thornton makes no mention of CDS' CDO's or any of the wonderful little instruments that caused a housing price collapse to turn into the great depression 2. Next.

Frank Shostack - gently caress I hate the formatting on Mises.org. Shostack predicted there would be a housing bubble because there was a lot of money. That is it. My loving dog could have prognosticated that. My two year old niece at the time probably mumbled something about housing prices being too high into her cereal. Next.

Stephan Karlsson - Again we have another Austrian who noticed that housing prices doubling in the course of four years was probably not a good thing. This does not mean he predicted the great recession, because the primary driving factor of the recession was not the crash of housing prices, but the freezing of the commercial paper market caused as a result of lovely practices within the banks. A housing bubble crash would have hurt, a total loss of faith in the economy caused by 40-1 leverage went well beyond that. Next.

Robert Wenzel/Raymond Sabat(its complicated) - This asshat predicted a bubble in 2004 under a pen name. Whupty loving do.

Hans loving Sennhoz - Are you sensing a pattern here? Predicted a housing bubble. Woooooo!

Gereld Celente - Yay something new! Okay, so unlike his friends Gereld Celente did actually predict the 2008 collapse. He then predicted the 2009 collapse we all remember so horribly. And the 2012 hyperinflation. Do you guys remember how:

"By 2012 America will become an undeveloped nation, that there will be a revolution marked by food riots, squatter rebellions, tax revolts and job marches, and that holidays will be more about obtaining food, not gifts. “We’re going to see the end of the retail Christmas… we’re going to see a fundamental shift take place… putting food on the table is going to be more important that putting gifts under the Christmas tree,” said Celente, adding that the situation would be “worse than the great depression"

I sure don't. Gereld Celente is a doomsayer, he's a broken clock who is right twice a day because he repeatedly says everything will be lovely.

Peter Schiff - Here we are, the shitstopper. Peter Schiff is the only Austrian economist I am aware of to have accurately predicted several major facets of the collapse years in advance. So what is his thing? Well he's like Celente... more or less.

Peter Schiff runs a company called Euro Pacific Capital and/or precious metals. The entire focus of EPC is that schiff, its founder believes that the US economy is going to end up in the toilet, so you should invest in overseas markets and especially precious metals, such as gold. Whether this hatred of the US is because of some delusion or because his father has been in and out of jail for tax evasion for decades I'm still not sure on. What is important to remember here is that Schiff thinks the US is going to bomb, he has thought this way since 1997, and he has been outspoken in it constantly.

So with that in mind Schiff is out there screaming to the heavens that the US economy is going to collapse. So what should you do? Invest in his company and buy precious metals. The man is selling a product, and that product is the idea that the US is going to collapse.

The simple fact is that Peter Schiff lost his clients money in the financial collapse. The granddaddy of all "Austrians predicted the collapse" lost loving money when it happened because his 'prediction' just involved saying the same thing he'd said every year, and the same thing he has been saying every year since. Peter Schiff has predicted hyper-inflation in the US every year since 2007. Seven years running and we are still hyper-not-inflated.

Austrians predict thousands of catastrophes annually. They are almost universally wrong because their ideology is based off of junk science. The fact that you can go back and find seven of them vaguely pointing in the direction of houses during the single largest housing bubble is not some mystical sign that they know what they were doing. I loving predicted the bubble in 2005 when I was told "You should buy a house, housing prices never go down." and thought that it was stupid. That does not mean that 23 year old me knew gently caress all what he was talking about.

Sorry for the effort post but... gently caress.

quote:

Good to see jrodefeld has decided to join us again but I'm not sure about the name change.

I'm going to be honest, I miss JRod. This asshat's reply won't be nearly as entertaining or neurotic.

Caros fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 22, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

That sounds like every single one of them tried to say the same poo poo every year and eventually all of them got lucky. I don't see the distinction between Peter Schiff (who is lauded by "serious" news people) and everyone else.

The difference is that most of the rest of them made one or two comments on the issue in or around 2005 and otherwise didn't say much else. This is telling because most of them don't have anything at all to say on the matter beyond acknowledging the basic fact that there was a housing bubble.

Schiff is a little different in that circa 2006 he actually talked about some of the underlying causes such as cdos.

They are all frauds mind you. In that they are all together.

Incidently, if you want to know how stupid Schiff is, he has endorsed bitcoins as a good thing. Personally I think it's a craven move to up his libertarian credit, but it's still dumb as gently caress.

Caros
May 14, 2008

absolem posted:

See, now you've entirely misrepresented my stance. Maybe I didn't simplify enough for you-
The government did dumb things, the banks did dumb things, and consumers did dumb things. The dumb things rested on the incorrect ideas that money should be cheap, that everyone should own a home, and that there would always be buyets for products everyone thought were dumb 10 years ago. You can't lay the entire blame on one group and you can't declare anyone that went along with it innocent. Innocents would be consumers that didn't overextend themselves, bankers that recommended against over investment into subprime packages, and government types that didn't push for low rates and higher home ownership. It isn't the fault of the poor, anymore than it is the fault of the rich. The blame lies on a set of individuals and not with groups. Home ownership isn't right for everyone and it isn't safe to assume that a home will be a good investment.

Again you start in with this horseshit?

You are right insofar as you can say that no group is entirely blameless. The US shouldn't have kept interest rates so low, and some consumers probably should have been better off about their decisions. However, while you can't say anyone is blameless, this truth is in the middle bullshit seems to imply that blame is spread equally, which is just factually untrue.

For starters, consumption was driven by the banks. Once the banks realized this was making them lots and lots of money they began to heavily push home ownership on consumers. Now the reason I blame the banks for this is that unlike your typical consumer, they are far more financially literate. If you are a gardener making 30,000 a year and the citibank comes to you, or sends you a piece of mail and says you can buy a $250,000 home, why wouldn't you take it? This is Citi, the largest bank in the country. If they are offering you a loan clearly you can pay it, because why would a billion dollar bank offer you a bad loan?

Predatory lending was a huge aspect of the crisis, and even in instances where it was not the banks are more responsible simply by dint of being the ones with the knowledge to know that this was stupid. When banks started issuing NINJA (No Income, No Jobs or Assets) loans to anyone with a pulse (or even without) they became the driving factor of the market. At any point the bubble could have been slowed or popped early simply by acting in a responsible manner rather than a feeding frenzy.

And of course you continue to gloss over the securitization chain which was ultimately the driving force responsible for the bubble and for its heinous impact on the world economy. Simply put the banks would never have inflated the home bubble to the extent that they did if they had been regulated in this aspect (which they vehemently opposed). The whole bubble was predicated on the fact that the banks could give a mortgage and then get it off their books within a few weeks instead of a few decades, and the only reason they were capable of doing so was the fraudulent process that gave us Collateralized Debt Obligations and Credit Default Swaps and the like. Talk about these and we might take you even vaguely seriously.

Caros
May 14, 2008

absolem posted:

I agree that there was a lot of bank-regulator nonsense going on, but you have to think about what banks (or businesses in general want). They want to make as much money as possible. Now, most of the time they realize that that is best accomplished by being cautious, which is why they have all those risk experts and such. However, in this case they managed to be convinced (by themselves and the regulators) that there would always be buyers for these packages, which is patently false. Banks would have been more cautious if they hadn't expected to be saved. The synthetic derivative market is predicated on risk in that all banking is, but putting huge numbers of contracts together in order to achieve some sort of average risk per package that then can obfuscate the scope of the package tends to allow for more risk. Another thing to remember is that most every bank that helped make this mess had people at it who knew this much subprime stuff was a bad idea and said so, just like there were consumers who realized that they couldn't actually afford things that were being sold.

Just one more thing before I go out for a while.

I find the simplest way to look at the bank-consumer relationship as that of an Adult and a Child. Sure there are some stupid adults and some precocious and smart children, but by and large the Adult knows a lot more than the child, and should be the more responsible of the two when it comes to danger. Your typical bank is far, far more financially knowledgable than your typical consumer, most consumers simply trust their bank when they are told something because they are the experts. If you go to the bank to get a mortgage you expect that the bank isn't going to be trying to screw you by putting you into a brutal ARM, or trying to encourage you to buy a house that you can't possibly afford.

I still find it shocking that Mortgage lenders in the states don't have fiduciary duty to their clients like they do in Canada. Blows my loving mind.

quote:

I understand that startlingly few of you know anything about economics and that you probably don't care to learn.

Oh you're just going to get around great here.

As I understand it D&D has several professional economists as part of its regular posters. We also have a ton of people like me who used to be libertarians who know exactly what type of stupidity you qualify as economics. It might behoove you to sit and lurk for a while before declaring how much smarter you are to a forum that has quite simply already heard all your poo poo before.

quote:

Poor people did not cause the financial crisis. You can't go around saying X group is at fault for Y or people with A skin color should pay back people of B skin color for the wrongs done to them. We are individuals and are not guilty of the wrongs of people who look, talk, act, or spend like us.

I can absolutely go around apportioning blame (the financial sector was the primary driver of the great recession).

As for the latter bit, you are still benefiting from the wrongs done to them, and as such should be obligated to help narrow the gap between those who were historically slaves and those who are now merely driven into poverty and horrible conditions by policy and negative stereotyping.

Someone post that "White person is the easiest videogame difficulty" thing will you?

Caros
May 14, 2008

You fucker. You actually got me with this link. Because of course Mises.org would have a response to the 'you fell off the turnip truck' fallacy.

Caros
May 14, 2008

absolem posted:

The bottom line really is that banks felt secure doing truly stupid and sometimes downright wrong stuff. Why they felt that way is because 1) Their pay structures were/are hosed up and 2) they thought they'd be protected by the gov't. Its tragic that regulation messes stuff up just enough to start a snowball and when we go full crisis mode the gov't steps in and fixes poo poo by saving the morons. I still maintain that all three axes of stupid were necessary for the crisis, but it is definitely fair to rank the banks as more culpable than consumers (the gov't is just as bad though, for regulating and then saving them).

I don't absolve them of responsibility, see above.

don't hit, use your words

There are tons of non-rich people who contributed to the crisis. (see some poor borrowers and a host of middle class gov't employees). Every time I hear the phrase job creators I puke a little. Its so silly.

The government is not 'just as bad' because the people in charge of regulating the financial sector employees, and thus the people who failed, are themselves former or soon to be members of the financial sector.

If me and five other guys rob a liquor store and one of the clerks is on it by leaving the safe open that doesn't mean the liquor store is at fault, it means there are six people who robbed it.

Again you are doing this stupid truth in the middle bulletin while trying to pretend you are not. No one is saying that there were not bad borrowers or that the government is blameless. We are however saying that the majority of the blame can be placed at the feet of the group that knowingly engaged in fraud, unsafe lending practises and so on.

You started your rant by blaming the government almost exclusively. You are wrong, so let's see you walk it back all the way.

Oh, and do you have any rebuttal to the whole 'austrians' were right thing? Or are you conceding that since you clearly just didn't know the facts?

Caros
May 14, 2008

absolem posted:

Consumers (poor or otherwise) are responsible in part because they bought the stuff. Sure, information was asymmetric, but :saddowns:

The government created the regulation that distorted pay structures and market values and then saved the morons at the banks who weren't careful.

Sure the banks knowingly misrepresented financial products to financially illiterate consumers. Sure they packaged a bunch of garbage subprime loans together and sold them as AAA rated securities to pension funds. Sure they engaged in predatory lending practises and you admit that the customer's had less information than they did. But who gives a gently caress right? Clearly the consumer is the responsible one.

Please go into detail on how the government caused banks to give multimillion dollar bonuses to people running their companies into the ground and how the government is responsible when many of the countries largest institutions effectively put a gun to the economies head and said bail us out or we shoot.

In particular I'd like to get your opinion on the Texas AIG letter, and the margin calls from Goldman Sachs which drove AIG to bankruptcy and nearly killed the pension funds of 2 million Americans so the Lloyd blankfein could quote "get my loving money." I'll wait.

Caros
May 14, 2008

absolem posted:

It makes no sense to charge entire groups with a crime.

It doesn't matter that information was lacking on the consumer's part. They should have at least been able to see that if they couldn't afford something, and they haven't gotten more money, they probably still can't afford it. They aren't as culpable, but they are still involved. Being taken advantage of is a thing that happens and is not wrong in and of itself. cheers

The gov't pushed terrible policies, and it was not just by the people who were linked to the industry.

Calling a bunch of people who were right about the crisis loonies isn't worth rebutting, because they were still right and no one advanced an argument as to why they aren't valuable. If you listen to the cautious voices, you tend to stay away from the edge.

Nice try, but no. Go back and read my post again.

I didn't simply call them crazy. I pointed out that only one of them said anything about the root cause of the systemic financial collapse (securitizarion) and that one was only right insofar as that in 2007 he said that maybe mortgage backed securities were not that great. He then proceeded to lose millions of dollars of customers money despite this 'knowledge'

Their voices are not valuable because they said nothing of worth. They pointed out there was a housing bubble which anyone with a brain knew. They gave no prescriptions on how to fix it, nor did they understand the complex mechanisms that were at the root of what made a housing bubble into a worldwide recession.

As an aside, have you considered being slightly less smug? Because snugness when you are consistently I'll informed is a bad trait to have, especially here.

Caros
May 14, 2008

absolem posted:

I wish they had "shot". Saving them has hosed us even more.

I too wish the US government had decided to let effectiveky every major (and most minor by extension) US financial institution fail. I have always wanted to live in a bizarre road warrior like state.

Seriously do you even comprehend what this would have entailed? AIG the company that held pension funds for millions of America going bankrupt, and eventually giving back pennies on the dollar. Bank of America, one of the largest mortgage holders in the US disappearing over the course of a weekend.

Should we have nationalized them? Absolutely. Take them over, fire everyone in management etc. But the idea of just letting the US financial system completely collapse shows such a total lack of understanding that it's astonishing.

They call them too big to fail because if they'd been allowed to fail it wouldn't have been your happy little Austrian market correction. It would have made the great depression look like a jolly little walk through the park.

Edit: gently caress I just have to reiterate this because your stupidity is so mindboggling that I cannot focus.

The collapse just of AIG would have obliterated the total pension savings of 4.3 million Americans. Saved your whole life for retirement? Tough poo poo!

This is what you unironically wished would happen.

Caros fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 22, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

Nonsense posted:

The result is they'll do it again, and never be punished for it. The alternative is depression, that leaves little room to feel anything good about our country's current trajectory if you ask me.

There were alternatives at the time. Heavy regulation and outright nationalization of the endangered firms was the go to. If we'd done that we might have brought some sanity back to thing.

And yes, it is loving depressing as all hell.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

First you need to absolutely have no impulse for introspection, no self awareness whatsoever, and then live a life completely insulated by privilege. This attitude cannot survive contact with hardship.

I'm a walking example of this. I was firmly in the same court as absolem until I was subjected to a very real and painful reminder about how inequitable and unfair the world is. For most libertarians it really will take a life changing experience for them to realize how very, very wrong they are.

quote:

Who knows about the personality disorder, I seem to do ok.
My philosophy is fine with the golden rule, its just that spending your time/money on other people isn't always a good way to ensure your survival and comfort. Sometimes it is, like when other people like you more for it, it makes you happy, or it helps you get a job.

Who is John Galt?

I'm guessing from my extensive knowledge of libertarian bullshit, coupled with your posts in this thread that you are probably of an objectivist bent. Thats fair enough, but do keep in mind that Ayn Rand pretty much set up objectivism as a way to make her own sociopathic tendancies more culturally acceptable. She had a facination with a serial killer most famous for his brutal murder of a young girl. This is not someone you should be looking to as a role model.

quote:

I wasn't trying to go back and change my opinion, I legitimately misspoke and wanted to make that clear. Oddly enough, I have thought about and articulated these things before. I said that I immoral = unjustifiable, that's true, I just forgot half of the things that I hold to be unjustifiable. I've made a hot mess of my argument now by being quick and sloppy.

http://pastebin.com/ZtYTzXiU

is something I should have just linked to instead of rewriting it. (a friends and I wrote it a while ago)

Since you are quoting Hans Herman Hoppe, I'm curious to know if you are aware that Hoppe is a serious social conservative and racist. That in Hoppe's ideologically perfect world people could and should exclude people from their 'society' based on race, creed, sexuality and so forth. He further believes that his private covenants (which are in essence not at all dissimilar from a small government, and which ironically have their own social contracts) would be led by "The natural social elites." a phrase that should make you at least a little uncomfortable if you are opposed to ideas such as white supremacy.

How do you reconcile these arguements from Hoppe with what you like about his work?

quote:

I'm open to new ideas, but 1) I've made a hot mess of my argument that I'd like to at least try to fix and 2)I haven't seen much by way of counter-arguments, its mostly just acting like I'm a troll

You know what? I'll bite.

quote:

This is my understanding of Hoppe's argument (it may not be his argument accurately, but I still think it's
internally consistent/correct). I'll see if I can bullet-point for clarity’s sake:

- Begin with a dialectical epistemology (so, we recognize that certain statements are irrefutable because
they are performative contradictions: supporting a given thesis necessitates the truth of its antithesis.
If I say “We cannot establish statements as true”, I assume as a norm of argumentation that we can establish
the truth of at least some statements… ).

This is superfluous.

quote:

- Epistemological questions aside, I first want to start off with defining “property” vs. “property rights”.
Property is ‘descriptive’ in Hoppean ethics – that is, property describes an empirically verifiable state in
which an individual maintains exclusive use of a resource. “Property”, then, is inevitable (resources are
scarce, human beings make use of them, “property” will always exist if human beings do). “Property rights”
are an ethical term/normative statement: they are “inviolable” (well, violations of property rights cannot
be “justified”) moral boundaries.

I'd argue that you have a problem right off the get go here. While within your narrow series of ethics property rights are inviolable, this is not necesarily true for groups outside your own narrow focus. In fact most humans on the planet would argue that there are a variety of situations in which violations of your property rights can be justified by virtue of a greater societal good.

quote:

- So, Hoppe begins by noting that resources are scarce (at least, some resources are. Under present conditions
for most human beings, air is the example resource that isn’t scarce, though there are conditions in which,
theoretically, this would not be true. Things like land, an automobile, coal, etc. are all scarce).

- If something is scarce, it is also “rivalrous” – there are multiple moral agents acting for control of the
same item.

- This is a problem – that’s not a “value” judgment: it’s not as if I’m uncomfortable with this situation:
this is a logical problem that must be resolved. If a good is rivalrous, then more than one individual
contends for control over it, but, factually speaking, only one individual (or at least fewer than the number
who demand this resource) can exert exclusive use over the resource (hence, the definition of what is
“rivalrous”).

- So there is an inherent conflict over scarce resources that exists when multiple agents are interacting.
Social order/ethics is just the inevitable means of resolving this conflict (whatever ethical norm – or no
“norm” – is adopted as the means to conflict resolution, there will still be some sort of ethic, even a
nihilistic one, to answer this question: as Rand said, we have the power to choose, but not to escape the
necessity of choice).

Most of this makes sense to a point. I'd argue that most ethics are not necessarily derived from arguments over property, that ethics pertaining to child rearing, rape, social interactions etc don't' necessarily have anything to do with property unless we accept your premise that every human interaction is an interaction based on property, which pretty much no one does. But this isn't a huge point of argument anyways.

quote:

- So the real question of ethical philosophy is to determine what sort of ethical theory can be justified,
and Hoppe notes that only one ethical theory can be sustained in argument without an inherent contradiction
(a “dialectical/performative” contradiction) in which the substance of our argument contradicts the norms
underlying our argument.

- Argumentation is a means of conflict resolution. It’s really only here that the question of “justification”
arises: we cannot logically justify violence (aggression) as a form of conflict resolution. I cannot say that
“individuals ought to use violence to resolve conflicts” without falling into an internal contradiction –
because, in the course of engaging in an argument over a logical conflict (“how ought individuals to behave?”)
with you, I implicitly concede that argumentation is preferable to violence, because I am resolving this
conflict through argumentation. In much the same way, I cannot say that “We ought not to resolve conflicts
through argumentation” to you without also falling into the same contradiction. Attempting to justify force
is like saying that “My words have no meaning” or “It is true that truth cannot be established”. It is
internally inconsistent – it contradicts the norms underlying and substance of my argument.

- Having proven some form of voluntarism, the only last step is why “private property”. That is, we need a
norm to decide how conflicts over scarce resources can be resolved in a way that is rationally justifiable.

You have proven nothing. This whole section is straight up Randian A=A psuedo-philosophical garbage. I hate to be so blunt but it really, really is.

Your argument here for the layman poster who doesn't care to read your words, is that since we are using discussion to solve this conflict that somehow proves that argumentation is preferable to violence. This sort of argument would get you laughed out of any philosophy department in the nation because it is both shallow and unbelievably wrong.

We both agree that talking is the best way to resolve problems. That does not however prohibit 'force' as a nebulous concept from ever being justified, it simply means we would prefer to resolve problems through peaceful and voluntary interactions whenever possible. Briefly I'll step aside to bring up a traditional example:

A man falls from a building and catches hold of a lamppost. He is hanging outside of your 110th story window, the fall will clearly kill him and he has no way to escape his fate but to enter through your window. Since you are not around to have an argument with him on whether or not he should be allowed to enter your apartment, clearly force is his best and only option, even though he is agressing against you by breaking the window to access your apartment.

Having proven some form of violence... wait. No. I haven't proven it either, what I have done is shown that there are instances in which agressing against someone else's property is the proper moral action for one person, while appearing improper to another. That is because morals are subjective, which is why the Non-Agression principle is stupid, because it is an absolute with no flexibility and no real ability to function in a complicated and messy world.

quote:

- Over one’s own body, the solution is simple: only a norm that states that each individual is the owner of
his own body is justifiable, because the act of justification requires the use of one’s own body in
argumentation. Other circumstances would be absurd: my argumentation would require another individual
(my master/owner) to exercise his will through me and permit me to argue, or I would need joint permission
of all members of society to argue (and, because norms are universalizable, this would also fall into
absurd internal contradictions, because every individual would require every other individuals’ permission
in order to grant permission for other individuals to act/grant permission; it creates a cycle of infinite
logical regression that essentially abolishes any form of action… these positions of slavery norms are
untenable in an argument).

An alternate solution to this conundrum is to not treat literally everything as though it were property. There are no inherent contradictions like this that pop up in my day to day life because I don't view myself as property.

quote:

- Over external resources (we have already determined that exclusive use is inevitable and that violence is
unjustifiable), we only have to determine how we know who owns what. Subjective (subject-dependent) norms
have some difficulties – two individuals could consistently make a claim to the same resource and both be
“right” (and wrong) at the same time, because these claims have no logical justifications (they’re just
based in subjective preferences). So only objective claims are justifiable, and the only objective claim
that is justifiable is that a resource belongs to whoever first appropriated it (of course, it would be
the first person to establish such a link: if we were to say something like “the second person to
appropriate the resource should be the first who appropriates it”/gains property, we’re obvious
contradicting ourselves… in this instance, the “second” person to appropriate the good would be the first
person to do so, and this norm justifies an infinite cycle of the third/”second”, fourth/”second”, etc.
claiming the same resource).

For those of you reading along this is what is called the homesteading principle among libertarians. It seems logical enough on its face but I find that it falls apart when people realize this is not 1628, and that property, particularly land, is more a subject to a long chain of ownership than being laid claim to.

quote:

-I agree with previous users: Hoppe transcends the is-ought dichotomy. His ethic doesn’t establish a system
of values – it makes no value judgments (on whether or not aggression is “good” or “bad”) because these
judgments are meaningless (“good” and “bad” aren’t just subjective – they don’t mean anything at all, other
than perhaps what you /want/ to happen). Hoppeanism is a method of ethical reasoning that establishes what
behavior is “just” (what can be justified) and what is unjust (what cannot be rationally justified). So
it’s not a matter of men being “good or evil”, or answering the question “why should I /want/ to be moral
in your Hoppean world?”. Hoppeanism establishes a true, undeniable structure of ethics that is precisely
that: TRUE. Hoppean ethics are rational, verifiable, justifiable, reasonable, true, etc… denying them and
breaking them is just the opposite: unjustifiable, “wrong”, irrational, unreasonable, etc. The norms that
violate Hoppeanism are false, not just “bad”. As I said in another thread, Hoppeanism is like the
scientific method: by all means, you may act as if it isn’t /correct/, but that doesn’t change anything.
Nothing will happen to you (I mean, private law might chase after you, but it’s not like you get zapped by
lightning, unless DROs invent something like that ) – your behavior is just /wrong/.

Hoppe doesn't decide what is good or bad, he decides what is just or unjust... which is of course a fancy way of saying what is good or bad.

Hoppean ethics, while rational are not inherently 'true', nor are the subject to verification under anything more than logic. You cannot verify moral laws, because despite what Ayn Rand has told you, there are not objective truths in this world outside of physical laws. You are a sack of meat, which is in turn a sack of base elements. Nothing you do from a moral perspective is objectively right or wrong.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Pohl posted:

Haha, I can't believe that loving worked. :commissar:

Damnit! That motherfucker! I just finished putting up a carefully crafted Libertarian thread :negative:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Joementum posted:

I wouldn't worry. If yours is a better thread, the market dictates it will win out.

I've said it before, I'll say it again you are my favorite source of politics on this forum Joementum. I wish I was half as witty as you.

Caros
May 14, 2008

XyloJW posted:

Please stop discussing libertarianism when we now apparently have 2 (??) threads for that.

In my defense, event he libertarian thinks I made the better thread. :colbert:

Caros
May 14, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah, those are totally different games :colbert:

e: and Allen West is way to stupid to be a Ventrue. He's some kind of insane Sabbat vamp.

I'd say Lasombra... but we've already kinda got that creepy racist overtone going.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Wait... wait! Karl Rove is now reporting that this joke did indeed get old sometime in mid 2013!

It really doesn't.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Joementum posted:

"If you like your religion, you can keep your religion." ~ Bobby Jindal on Obama's position on religious liberty.

That is actually a reasonably sick burn coming from Bobby Jindal. I mean, its full of poo poo, but if you already buy into his crap that is pretty good.

Caros
May 14, 2008

paranoid randroid posted:

Jim Inhofe needs your help to charge up his Impeachment Bomb, America.

Then he should just get Satan to convince people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Boon posted:

Dude do you have some kind of complex? You're really bitter about this.

You can't understand it because you haven't spent most of a year floating around in a tightly constricted body of water in 90+ degree weather day in day out, only able to see 3 miles because sand is so dense that everything after that blurs into nothing. While averaging those 3 hours of sleep we discussed, having one day at 6 in the morning to make a decision on whether or not you need to order someone to kill something because it crossed an imaginary line at the wrong angle and speed and is unresponsive because they don't speak the same loving language. Meanwhile knowing full well that there are international implications to whatever decision you, and you alone, decide to make.

Honestly I think this is the wrong way to argue your point. Yes, you have a lovely, lovely job. Most people will argue there are others with equally lovely jobs that don't get taken care of.

A better reply would be to point out that we promised these benefits for one, and that for another it is in societies interests not to have a bunch of poor, former soldiers with poor career prospects and training in how to kill.

• Locked thread