Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Highball glass. Whiskey. Get one of Mitt Romney's horses to piss in it. Shut the gently caress up and enjoy your urine and whiskey. Freedom.
There's your US politics drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

pangstrom posted:

In case you're not going to watch a talk show for the next month and might miss this: The most Repulican company is the company that makes WONDERBREAD.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/08/upshot/the-countrys-most-republican-company-the-makers-of-wonder-bread.html

Blandest known company also the most virulently conservative? Why am I not surprised at all.
How revolting. I think they only allow Republicans in management, since none of their executives have donated to a Democrat in decades.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

SedanChair posted:

If Lloyd Blankfein's throat was cut, populist bloodlust would be appeased for 2 days, then rise again, says Bill.

I don't understand the problem. Aren't there a lot of bankers? That's a lot of days of appeasement.

Maybe if you made a show of it and said, this guy hosed your pensions and 401k's. I don't think a lot of fucks really know who this guy is.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

SubponticatePoster posted:

I used to think people on welfare should be put on birth control. Now I think people on welfare should be given free birth control if they want it. What's funny is a lot of right wingers are ok with the first but somehow the second is morally reprehensible :v:

Whoah. My mind is now suitably hosed.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

ThirdPartyView posted:

Those are some big-rear end rascals.

Ahahaha. This is all the editorializing that need ever be done on this poo poo.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Widespread and acute fear of Republican government will keep Democratic turnout from being too depressed, so I don't think it'll be as bad as they say. I'm not sure what difference anything will make though. Vetoing one hundred of the most sociopathic loving bills ever to cross a presidential desk, that's more than enough of a legacy for Obama to claim. If they can't tone it down, he can't sign poo poo. And why would they tone it down if they've just picked up the Senate.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

radical meme posted:

This is from a few pages back but I think it deserves to be pointed out that this article clearly establishes that the canyon in Utah is absolutely open to the public for their use and enjoyment; you just have to either hike or ride horseback to enjoy it. These rear end in a top hat man children are arguing for the freedom to destroy public lands and antiquities with their ATVs and dirt bikes. These people are loving children screaming "you're not the boss of me".

Protest organizer Phil Lyman, a San Juan County commissioner, said the BLM needs to work cooperatively with local officials. He said the trail through Recapture Canyon is legally a county road and should never have been closed to vehicles by an appointed bureaucrat. Hikers, bicyclists and equestrians were unaffected by the closure.
And rider Devan Palmer said he doesn't understand why the government forces private businesses to install handicapped-accessible facilities but blocks elderly people from riding ATVs on Recapture.

Oh, now a hiking trail is legally a county road, for the purposes of destroying poo poo and pissing people off. And the ranger is the one deploying the "language of weakness". Four million miles of roads. Sixty thousand miles of trails. Please cease any further attempts at recreation, pull back to Wal-Mart food court. If you have no respect, you get no respect. This must be their central complaint, that their smug is no longer accepted as legal tender because we're over that as a society.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Boozechat: dark and stormys are great and capture American politics in a single name.

Yeah, and the fresher the lime juice, the better. Do you leave some pulp in? Also where to find the official d&s ginger beer?

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Nessus posted:

You're going to waste that helium?

But seriously you should probably talk to someone.

If you ever want to turn children and parents away from libertarianism permanently, tell them the unsubsidized cost of a balloon at the park would be $20.

And I think it's damned noble to wait for your parents to pass. That poo poo loving ruins parents.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Wubbles posted:

If there so many unhappy people in this thread, "prescribing" drinking is extremely irresponsible.

We're not. We're engaging in harm reduction by steering people away from rye shots and showing them a less degenerative, more thoughtful way to drink themselves blind.

And yes the environment is completely hosed and it is too late for us to have any say in it. It will either find a way to stabilize on its own, or it won't.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

I'm torn between thinking that the elites were planning ahead with the buildup and programs and remembering that they have fully bought their own bullshit that none of this is actually a problem and the good times will resume as soon as they sit on the throne again.

Between Bush's program of building the infrastructure and legal opinions to allow for a massive crackdown, and the fact you don't spend 80 billion dollars a year to track illiterate assholes in afghan caves, it really seems that the elites know everything is about to go to poo poo and have focused on stealing everything they can before it goes to poo poo, and using mass repression to hold it afterwards. But that would require a level of understanding, foresight, planning, and control that just doesn't show up at any level when you actually look at these guys. If it was A) poo poo like the Great Recession wouldn't have happened, and B) they'd probably be tilting towards more cost effective solutions to buy the plebes off. The truth is those bastards are every bit as dumb and uncoordinated as anyone else, and this is more an emergent phenomena of "Hey, James sells military grade gear to police forces, lets let James get in on this gravy train, he'll come to me for a loan to expand his plants, so I'll get a bigger 'performance' bonus!"

We are so completely and utterly hosed

It all comes down to whether you think our system selects for desirable or undesirable traits. If you believe it to be the latter, then elites should be somewhere between distrusted and reviled. It's the reason that most of us would take a random draft system to staff the Congress over what we've got now, or even what we had in the 50's. But as Chris Hayes writes, our elites demonstrate over and over and over again their complete unfitness to wield power of any magnitude. It's why Donald Trump irks regular wealthy guys so loving much, since he draws attention to their shared shortcomings, but since this is America that's balanced by absurd, maximally disheartening popular worship of him.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

*thread dies*

yeah can we apply for a mod exemption to this rule.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
If thinking 'bout the world and stuff is bringing you down to the point where it's interfering with your life.. you need to block this forum from your browsers, block every goddamned blog and every goddamned news site. If something happens that you need to know about, someone will tell you. Not that it will make any difference to the victims, perpetrators, those involved, or anyone in the slightest. If social awareness is messing with you that much, you've given all the fucks that you're ever required to, so take nine or ten steps back, for a year at least. Apply yourself to situations whose outcomes you can actually have something to do with, if you've got to feel like you're making a difference.

Like I care about you guys and you're scaring me.
Like at the gym, on the treadmills. You know what I watch? I watch Fox News, because it isn't. I can't handle an IV of reality while I'm trying to break a sweat.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
US Politics Thread: Paul Ryan Survivors, US Support Group General and Substance Abuse Helpline

There is help. Make the call.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

shrike82 posted:

It's pretty telling that any discussion of math pedagogy in the States starts and ends with algebra and calculus.

Can you elaborate? Seems like the start of an interesting discussion.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

comes along bort posted:

It's the traditional sequence for white non-poors.

Well, yeah, I took it. What other maths did I miss out on? He seemed to imply that there was something missing from our math education here.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

My Safeway is unionized

Tell us about the relationship between grocery unions and self-checkout.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
I don't believe that gun culture has become so abstracted from reality, that these guys didn't appreciate and enjoy the meaning of what they were doing.

Like I know some of you guys shoot, and that's great but you're not going to come in here again and again and tell us that it doesn't mean anything. That it's always just games and never means anything. That's bullshit.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
I don't really see any problem with progressives being conservative about finance. When's finance ever done a goddamned thing for anyone.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

Apparently no one has turned out for Operation American Spring, or the 30 million are really good at hiding.

The picture going around of the assholes with confederate and KKK flags is from 2010 btw - give away is it is raining in DC right now

Area Man Expects Tea Party Gathering to Attract Between 150 and 20,000,000

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

sweart gliwere posted:

Depends on whether it can mount to things. Suction, standalone (if so, flared or no?). Does it take picatinny rails? Get specific, dude.

Writing a script that replaces all instance of gun/firearm forum mentions with dildo/butt plug of various colors, textures, and sizes.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Warchicken posted:

If democrats advocated programs for gun safety education, would this also be touted as "taken are gons" legislation? I mean, is there anything anyone can do to sate the permanent bloodlust of gun owners for liberals?

No. When the monsters go away, they make up new ones.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

SubponticatePoster posted:

Call it fores' and bores.

Should Hilary decide to run, I imagine the incredibly stupid poo poo said during 2012 would be as a candle to the sun. No matter how many times GOP strategists say "please shut the gently caress up about rape" there's always some doughy sack of cholesterol who just can't help himself.

This is who they are, and if they were willing to change they wouldn't be Republicans. Which is what makes it so infuriating, having to lose to these incompetent shitheads over and over.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Every single thing about conservatism is degenerative, as if by design.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Anyone compared how Obama's aged in his six-ish years to how Bush or Clinton did by this point in their terms?
Could give you a hint as to how badly he wants to be there. But even if he had totally lost the plot and was phoning it in, we'd never know. Guys don't get to the top of their parties and then just decide to gently caress the party for a decade by behaving erratically.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Radish posted:

Just because his name is pronounced the same as "bog" shouldn't be a slight against him :(. Sorry

But yeah I'm not sure how Obama lets this guy in since I know he isn't an idiot and that's the only reason I can think it would be. There's no reasonable reason that letting him in should be considered a compromise although making lovely compromises with Republicans acting in bad faith is probably going to be Obama's legacy. At least the Senate isn't having any of it.

If this actually becomes his legacy, then the next young Democratic president (after Clinton) will try something else, and probably get assassinated for it.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

What I've seen is a lot of very vocal libertarians, after realizing that the financial meltdown was directly caused by massive amounts of deregulation, realized that many of their opinions were actually quite poo poo.

Hahahaha. I love the American style of deadpan humor.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Swan Oat posted:

I couldn't find any pictures of his katana but I read an article mentioning that he has at least one on the wall of his office.

Wrapped in the flag. Today, whenever the motherfuckers surface, they come wrapped in the flag always.
God can you imagine a someone's private library, just completely full of this poo poo that they get as gifts. Vast right wing book club/e-mail addy farm.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Shootings are actually really small localized events compared to the scale of the country, and I likewise don't support their dominance of barely related threads every time they happen.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

zoux posted:

Lost in all this is that three of the most moderate Texas State Senators are gone. One got primaried from the right last night, and two more left to take positions with universities. They are going to be replaced by Tea Party nutjobs. The legislative agenda next year is going to be loving nuts.

Um, did you not know how loving nutty your state has got? We've all been watching it slide. It's funny that the better things get in Texas economically, the worse they seem to get politically. So a bright promising future of invading Cuba.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

SALT CURES HAM posted:

He referred to the woman as a "true Valkyrie" and "woman of Sparta."

Allen West might just be an actual literal Nazi. :stare:

Hilarious because of what a pretty tame, corporate and industrial endeavor the modern military is. It honestly has little in common with the outfits from even hundreds of years ago. Comparisons to Sparta are just absurd mythologizing. And I know why they do it. They can't think of one single other thing going on in society that pleases them or fills them with pride. Professional conservatives like Reihan Salam are paid so much to make us forget, that conservatism dissented en masse from modernity decades ago. But conservatives can't think of one thing they like about the USA that actually exists, so they make poo poo up about the military so they can at least pretend to be patriotic about that.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

a shameful boehner posted:

Whenever I get mad that Allen West actually held elected office, I remember: any one of us could hold office! It's the great promise of America!

Then I get sad again.

Allen West's limited tenure as congressasshole is proof only that he can get elected and you can't because you're not mean and dumb enough. There's really no similar process for getting ahead as a left wacko. The worst of the left lives in a trailer in Idaho passing out anti-vax pamphlets and plotting to blow up dams, and the worst of the right gets promoted from Texas exterminator to House Majority Leader.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Republicans get promoted from shitheaded small business owner to congressmen all the time. Wingnut welfare, and if I ran a conservative party I'd be sure to staff it with the dumbest motherfuckers I could dig up from the bowels of Ohio. How else do they keep forming those 300-vote uninterrupted blocs.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Interweb I think I'd love to know about the origins of your avatar more than I'd like to know about right-wing psychology.
You don't have to tell me, but I've been wondering for years. Pls pls!

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

mcmagic posted:

It's pretty awesome that John McCain's political legacy is going to be Sarah Palin and Joe the Plumber.

And dying reviled by half of everyone who used to give him token respect, for becoming the century's greatest political coward.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
With regards to West, I almost feel like I'm doing what Republicans do and denying my opponents' military service. But I can't help denying that West has any loving idea what the military's, about when he shoehorns in all the mythology he can find just to talk about it. I don't think I need much to support that since his tribunal or court martial came to the same conclusion.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Wish we could talk about sex in public without it being in a rape context of violence. Waiting out this stupid loving shitstorm. Not going to go around tossing out shibboleths, begging women to accept that "I'm not like those rapists! I'm a feminist!". Rape is not an issue local to me. If I see it or hear of it, I'll report it. Carrying on as loving usual.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
I mean if our military were a size appropriate to our needs, it wouldn't really be possible to run it as a social program. Given it's dangerous and destructively expensive size, it is nonetheless somewhat of a democratizing force (domestically). In that it does take steps towards gender equality, and that it is the only thing approximating a social safety net (for young, fit people 18-30). There's really very little jealousy of veterans going around the country, though. And since the Republicans have been trusted to carry the torch for the troops, you're pretty much dead hosed as the rest of us.

There will eventually be enough people standing around, that they won't need to offer much of anything in return to get high school seniors to come sling a rifle.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Swan Oat posted:

USPOL June: kill yourself

Has anyone not done this yet? This ain't AUSPOL. Seriously, no jokes do it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Wait gently caress now I feel bad.
Get help or get booze.

• Locked thread