Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I'm legitimately not sure why you would get stressed about about potential problems 40, 50, 60 years down the line. A shitton can happen during that time that can't possibly be predicted, and being a prophet of doom about such things strikes me as reveling in depression. To sum up, everything has always been varying degrees of hosed, life has always been varying degrees of poo poo, and anticipations, good and bad, have always turned out to be varying degrees of disappointments. All anyone can hope to do is roll with it; sometimes you even can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

I'm torn between thinking that the elites were planning ahead with the buildup and programs and remembering that they have fully bought their own bullshit that none of this is actually a problem and the good times will resume as soon as they sit on the throne again.

Between Bush's program of building the infrastructure and legal opinions to allow for a massive crackdown, and the fact you don't spend 80 billion dollars a year to track illiterate assholes in afghan caves, it really seems that the elites know everything is about to go to poo poo and have focused on stealing everything they can before it goes to poo poo, and using mass repression to hold it afterwards. But that would require a level of understanding, foresight, planning, and control that just doesn't show up at any level when you actually look at these guys. If it was A) poo poo like the Great Recession wouldn't have happened, and B) they'd probably be tilting towards more cost effective solutions to buy the plebes off. The truth is those bastards are every bit as dumb and uncoordinated as anyone else, and this is more an emergent phenomena of "Hey, James sells military grade gear to police forces, lets let James get in on this gravy train, he'll come to me for a loan to expand his plants, so I'll get a bigger 'performance' bonus!" Thinking there is anyone at the wheel, anyone with a plan, anyone who can pull us all through it even if it isn't in our individual best interests, is just wishful thinking and that quirk of the brain where we ascribe thinking actors to observed random patterns.

We are so completely and utterly hosed.

Don't drunkpost.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Cabbit posted:

This guy looks like he just rode his sweet bike out of a 90s-era World of Darkness sourcebook.

Don't refer to the African American community as the 'World of Darkness', you real racist libtard.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

SALT CURES HAM posted:

e: I am talking about VtM in D&D, what am I doing with my life

Yeah, those are totally different games :colbert:

e: and Allen West is way to stupid to be a Ventrue. He's some kind of insane Sabbat vamp.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Joementum posted:

Speaking of manning up and baseball, Allen West is mad at the lack of manly catching skills in the stands.

Wrap it up, America.

I'm still having a really hard time convincing myself that Allen West is real, and this isn't helping.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

forbidden lesbian posted:

You are really pedantic about that dude's joke.

Welcome to Debate Disco, enjoy your stay.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Phone posted:

Yeah, it's because I'm a dumb civ, right?

Stop being a caricature of a retarded leftist shaking your fist at all the undeserving soldiers. The guy already said he believes everyone deserves having their essentials provided for; he agrees with you. Begrudging soldiers for having something you believe everyone should have anyway is retarded.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DemeaninDemon posted:

The thing that scares me about robowarriors is the ease. Just send in a bunch of fiery death robots and leave. No bases, no troops, no support staff. It'd be too easy to gently caress up some country with that.

As opposed to utterly loving up a country with human troops, a la Iraq?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

rkajdi posted:

As a nation, we seem much less likely to put boots on the ground. This before meant we had less ability to project power. Now if things keep going this way we can send a bunch of drones to project power without the human cost on our side. This is a negative if you don't want to watch the major powers just screw with other nations more regularly.

Also, with no embedded reporters, we get a much less full picture of what is happening. I worry about WW1 style media blackouts, where whole nations were kept in the dark about what was actually going on in the war.

Not to sound really pessimistic, but we already as a nation don't give a poo poo. The US has been freely projecting power with boots on the ground since WWII, and only in a very limited set of cases has there been any real massed opposition to a war (see: Vietnam). We've seen the crippled soldiers, we've read the death tolls, American and otherwise, we've heard the financial cost figures, and we still don't give a poo poo. We wave the loving flag, stick the ribbon magnet on out bumper, and solemnly thank the kid with both his legs blown off for his service, and then we invade yet another country; it's nothing but a ritual to pretend that we care. It's going to loving happen anyway, and if deathbots mean people aren't coming back in boxes, bring on the deathbots.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

rkajdi posted:

Weren't the American deaths during the police action most of the reason public sentiment turned against Gulf War II? Using drones for policing would have eliminated that. I'd be worried we'd still be involved there, and we'd have a bunch more dead Iraqis in our ledger.

Again, might be the pessimism talking, but I think the main reason sentiment turned against the Gulf War II is that we already 'won'. Iraq was taken, Hussein was captured and executed, and the Iraqis held elections (lovely ones but whatever). Anything that could keep the American people enthused about the war was done; no more victories to be reported to sustain public enthusiasm, and the kind of people who supported the war in the first place became resentful that time and effort was being spent rebuilding the country we just destroyed. I'm not particularly convinced it ultimately had much to do with the soldiers themselves, considering how few we lost compared to other wars during this past century that enjoyed a lot of support, mostly because they were 'hotter' wars.

e: Opinion turned against Vietnam when we started stalling out and losing ground, for instance.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

I don't see this as pessimistic, that's a pretty normal view of public opinion. Every single "acceptable" reason to hang around there had already been completed for years

Fishmech is agreeing with me :(

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

What if we make fraud prevention a legal duty of high-ranking officers of publicly held companies? "Oh you did everything you reasonably could to prevent fraud by your company but a subordinate outwitted and deceived you? No problem, your good-faith efforts are an affirmative defense, please submit enough evidence of them to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you were deceived."

"Please prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you attempted to prevent your college-aged son from having marijuana in his room, or else we'll have to charge you as an accomplice."

Some of you are as bad as Freepers when it comes to wanting justice only for the 'right' sort of people.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

For starters, you don't have to be a corporate officer and asking you to give it up if you don't want to stop fraud is not the same as asking someone to disown their kid.

"If you didn't want to be prosecuted for aiding cash register theft, Mr. Burger King Manager, you should have quit your job before your cashier could be caught stealing on camera."

VitalSigns posted:

Also, unlike financial fraud, growing marijuana doesn't directly ruin and impoverish millions of Americans and wreck the economy.

I think you'd have a hard time proving that causality for any particular case of fraud beyond a reasonable doubt to a jury.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Jesus Christ. Still, it's a completely unjust practice regardless of who it targets.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Amergin posted:

Is sodomy defined in Texas as "pee-pee anywhere 'xcept hoo-haw" like it is in SC (or GA, can't remember)?

Because then you get into all sorts of fun with oral sex and sodomy overlap.

"We wanted to make gay sex illegal! Not blowjobs!... Wait I mean not non-gay blowjobs!"

Georgia's was explicitly oral and anal, including the hetero variety. Oh, and handjobs too. Fun fact: oral sex was punishable by more prison time than bestiality or necrophilia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Man, it's too bad archives are down, because you've got so many wonderful quotables from the minimum wage thread about how a child missing a few meals isn't suffering, geez libs, stop freaking out about the food insecurity among the families of America's working poor, it's not like starvation is actually killing them :allears:

Archives are up now, actually.

• Locked thread