Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
USPOL: If Obama was the Prez in Mars Attacks, the GoP would be rooting for the Martians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
USPOL: You know what the GOP is? Getting hosed

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

agarjogger posted:

Get help or get booze.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I have a title. I need the stuff I mentioned

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
The Internet conservative messaging is now that Democrats love smearing veterans because they're discrediting the stories that are coming out. Shame on them! This is spreading everywhere

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Luigi Thirty posted:

The reason why the White House desk has a solid front instead of a cutout is that it was modified to hide his wheelchair from visitors.
Anyone know what wood they used to do it? (checking Wiki)

Hm. Apparently, according to this article I had no idea existed, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Oval_Office_desks , FDR used a different desk, the Resolute desk we're all familiar with is a JFK installation.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Unzip and Attack posted:

I bench 325 and shoulder lifts like that with anything higher than 10/15 pounds are very difficult for me. Obama could be filmed preacher curling 100lb barbells and people would still find a way to bitch.

I'm more concerned about his legs. Squats.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

lil mortimer posted:

The Internet conservative messaging is now that Democrats love smearing veterans because they're discrediting the stories that are coming out. Shame on them! This is spreading everywhere

I wish I had the image of the tweet from the guy saying that people calling the Swift Boaters were full of poo poo were anti veteran.

based gaddis
Jul 4, 2012
Uh, not a good day to be Annette Bosworth (the SD senate candidate who posed in front of the fake graffiti) -- she turned herself in on 12 felony forgery and perjury charges after finding out live on the air from Megan Kelly she lost.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

Radish posted:

I wish I had the image of the tweet from the guy saying that people calling the Swift Boaters were full of poo poo were anti veteran.

Just look at any "TCOT" Twitter and you'll see something similar.

https://twitter.com/redsteeze/status/474434186481512449

For instance.

Ironically, this is the guy they're attacking:

quote:

Prior to his work in government, politics, and the media, Friedman served as an infantry officer in the U.S. Army's 101st Airborne Division in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Kuwait, and Iraq. In March 2002, he led a rifle platoon into Afghanistan's Shah-e-Kot Valley in order to engage Taliban and al Qaeda fighters as part of Operation Anaconda—a battle later written about by journalist Sean Naylor in Not a Good Day to Die. A year later, Friedman commanded a heavy weapons platoon during the invasion of Iraq. He led troops during combat and counterinsurgency operations in Hillah, Baghdad, and Tal Afar. Friedman left active duty in 2004 after having spent the latter portion of his Iraq tour as an executive officer managing troop movements, security issues, and logistics throughout northern Iraq as the insurgency intensified. He was awarded two Bronze Stars for his service in Afghanistan and Iraq.[3]

But I guess there's "good" soldiers and "bad" soldiers.

turnip kid fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jun 5, 2014

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

lil mortimer posted:

But I guess there's "good" soldiers and "bad" soldiers.

When you can accuse someone with documented citations for valor (who is now a sitting Senator running for President) of cowardice and not really get called out on it, why hold back?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
A workout that produces Obama's physique=a good workout.

Oh wait I mean he should have a huge gut and do nothing but bench press.

e: oh noooo look at the wimpy wimpy man

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
Why does anyone care about what Paul Ryan thinks about anything? You'd get more insightful analysis from a plate of chicken guts.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

So which demographic cross-tabs is it OK to make connections with voting trends over?

Like, Mormons are generally agreed to have been a major force in passing Prop 8, is it OK to point that fact out? Is it similarly OK to point out that relatively conservative Baptist churches also played a role in getting Prop 8 passed? They were literally coordinating with those same out-of-state backers, and the ground game is just as, if not more important than, pouring advertising money into a state.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/06/AR2008110603880.html

Is it relative intensity of support that matters, or what? Because "african american" is one of the particular demographics that voted most strongly in favor of Prop 8 (70%). The only demographic with higher support was "weekly churchgoers" (84%) and "black women" (75%), generic "protestant" and "christian" categories are at 65%, everyone else is down near the 50% mark. Interestingly enough, black men are below the norm for both black people and religious people generally, at 62.5%.

It's never fair to dump an election result squarely in the lap of one demographic on the cross-tab, since everyone's vote counts. But when you break it down there's clearly higher levels of homophobia or crab mentality ("they were never considered a third of a person!") or whatever in the black community circa 2008 given the huge intensity gap versus every other demographic. This is a forum that loves electoral hypotheticals, like "what if a few less liberals had voted third-party in 2000", and it's probably fair to say that black votes (good turnout and their strong split in favor of prop 8) was a deciding factor in pushing Prop 8 over the top.

If I really had to pick one demographic that was responsible for Prop 8 passing, it'd be "religious" or "christian" for sure just based on size. But that doesn't change the fact that black people displayed significantly more support for Prop 8 than even generic "christian". That really sucks from a group that is still fighting its own civil rights struggle and is still within living memory of Jim Crow.

Uh I can't believe I have to say this but you can't subscribe political views on people just based on their skin color. Yes, on one vote, at one time, after the strong mobilization by conservative evangelical Black churches, you have a majority voting for something regressive. But why is it so easy to say that black people as a whole are homophobic or anti-gay, but when you have white people overwhelmingly voting for regressive or plutocratic candidates (coughRomneycough), people just shrug and call out the regressive and discrete portions of those who voted?

When you start ascribing political viewpoints to me just because people with my shade of skin vote a certain way, do you see where that ends up? Hint: nowhere good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

based gaddis posted:

Uh, not a good day to be Annette Bosworth (the SD senate candidate who posed in front of the fake graffiti) -- she turned herself in on 12 felony forgery and perjury charges after finding out live on the air from Megan Kelly she lost.

She signed an affidavit swearing that petitioners signed their names in her presence. But oops! Her own facebook revealed she was in the Phillipines on a mission trip on those dates!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

I have a title. I need the stuff I mentioned

No you don't, just copy the op from this thread, no one's gonna notice.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
USPol: FYGMents of GOP Imagination

Also listening to Washington Journal this morning, the white women callers in SW US bitching about the "illegals" and "I don't want to pay for this" made me wish C-SPAN was less congenial with callers. "You don't want to pay $2B to help immigrant children but you have no problem paying for over a billion to help Eastern Europe because OOOGA BOOGA BOOGA RUSSIA AHHH!"

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Amergin posted:

:golfclap:

This is a good one.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

He didn't say a word until Bergdahl was safely in US hands again. The supposed reason for the initial gag order was to protect the prisoner from mistreatment or murder by his captors.

So he wasn't withholding it out of respect he was withholding it because of a gag order.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Amergin has to be a troll because he has moments of clarity that are just too self-aware. But that FYGments thing was great.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Amergin posted:

*narrows eyes* You're alright sometimes.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
God drat, I was going to go with "rage stroke or liver failure, your call" but "FYGMents of the GOP Imagination" is really good

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The fygments of gop thing is way better, go with that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Redeye Flight posted:

Speaking according to logic and the facts about the surrounding circumstances, absolutely nothing. But Obama Can't Win, Ever, so yeah.

I'm just mad that it's affecting Bergdahl himself. Obama I'm pretty sure can take it, he understands the stakes. Bergdahl just got imprisoned and maybe tortured for five years and he's coming back to this horrifying lovely political shell game, which is going out of its way to brand him as a traitor and scum of the earth because he was involved in A Thing Obama Did. The way the right has been treating him loving disgusts me.

If he had doubts about serving his country the current treatment is just a giant reinforcement of "yep, enlisting to serve this country was a huge loving mistake."

Clearly we should've brought him home by sending Rambo in, duh.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

Clearly we should've brought him home by sending Rambo in, duh.

What a monster, this guy killed Rambo too!!

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Fried Chicken posted:

New OP is almost done but I need to get to bed. If someone can find the post I made (I thought it was here but I'm not seeing it) detailing what is going on with reproductive rights where I talked contraception and South Dakota's abortion desert I want to crib that. Also we need a drink

The closest I could find is a portion of a post of yours about abortion in North Dakota from the last thread here. That it?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Amergin posted:

:stare:

:golfclap: Very nice.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

eNeMeE posted:

So he wasn't withholding it out of respect he was withholding it because of a gag order.

As far as I'm aware, the order is still in effect. But as long as you don't divulge classified info, the floodgates are effectively open now that people know Bergdahl can't be hurt by his captors now.

So no.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Our president is baller as heck and that's why the GOP hatin'.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
There's hope for you yet, Amergin.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

based gaddis posted:

Its ok, I heard Rove said she still has a shot

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Texas Republicans drafted a new platform advocating ex-gay therapy.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2014/06/05/3445234/texas-republican-platform-ex-gay/

quote:

Homosexuality must not be presented as an acceptable alternative lifestyle, in public policy, nor should family be redefined to include homosexual couples. We believe there should be no granting of special legal entitlements or creation of special status for homosexual behavior, regardless of state of origin.

Additionally, we oppose any criminal or civil penalties against those who oppose homosexuality out of faith, conviction, or belief in traditional values. We recognize the legitimacy and value of counseling which offers reparative therapy and treatment to patients who are seeking escape from the homosexual lifestyle. No laws or executive orders shall be imposed to limit or restrict access to this type of therapy.

Let's see what happens when people go to "gay therapy"

http://www.hrc.org/resources/entry/the-lies-and-dangers-of-reparative-therapy

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Well that just proves how destructive the homophile lifestyle truly is :smaug:

[THIS IS WHAT REPUBLICANS ACTUALLY BELIEVE]

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 5, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah you can't win harms arguments with fundamentalists because you are trying to balance temporal problems against the damnation of the eternal soul.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Texas Republicans drafted a new platform advocating ex-gay therapy.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2014/06/05/3445234/texas-republican-platform-ex-gay/

Let's see what happens when people go to "gay therapy"

http://www.hrc.org/resources/entry/the-lies-and-dangers-of-reparative-therapy

I have a well developed ability to shrug off horrible GOP nonsense but this makes me legitimately angry. That gay aversion therapy poo poo absolutely without a doubt destroys lives and should be classified as torture. gently caress them and gently caress this.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
You think that's bad? Here's some vintage pre-2012 era Texas GOP platform for nostalgia's sake.

"Marriage Licenses – We support legislation that would make it a felony to issue a marriage license to a same-sex couple and for any civil official to perform a marriage ceremony for such.

Texas Sodomy Statutes – We oppose the legalization of sodomy. We demand that Congress exercise its authority granted by the U.S. Constitution to withhold jurisdiction from the federal courts from cases involving sodomy."

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
Is sodomy defined in Texas as "pee-pee anywhere 'xcept hoo-haw" like it is in SC (or GA, can't remember)?

Because then you get into all sorts of fun with oral sex and sodomy overlap.

"We wanted to make gay sex illegal! Not blowjobs!... Wait I mean not non-gay blowjobs!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It was before it was overturned but the people in favor of it only want a legal remedy against gay people.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Amergin posted:

Is sodomy defined in Texas as "pee-pee anywhere 'xcept hoo-haw" like it is in SC (or GA, can't remember)?

Because then you get into all sorts of fun with oral sex and sodomy overlap.

"We wanted to make gay sex illegal! Not blowjobs!... Wait I mean not non-gay blowjobs!"

Georgia's was explicitly oral and anal, including the hetero variety. Oh, and handjobs too. Fun fact: oral sex was punishable by more prison time than bestiality or necrophilia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Good Citizen posted:

I have a well developed ability to shrug off horrible GOP nonsense but this makes me legitimately angry. That gay aversion therapy poo poo absolutely without a doubt destroys lives and should be classified as torture. gently caress them and gently caress this.

In some ways it's actually more evil because at least if your standard torture victim is destroyed by suffering and depression afterwards, nobody blames the victim for it and says "Well see how he hates himself, he really was never fit to live in society all along :wotwot:"

• Locked thread