Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

RadicalWall posted:

The political system in America has become absolutely untenable. In our absolute Us vs Them political system it's more important to sabotage the other team than it is to actually govern. Add to that the media figuring out that it can make millions of dollars telling people what they want to hear as opposed to doing actual journalism and you end up with a system where all the money and power is in creating conflict instead of solving problems.

Welcome to America! Have a drink.

One party wants to, at the very least, prevent collapse, while the other wants to burn the house down and nuke the site from orbit to prevent any house from being built there ever again. Our political system is not untenable; one party and the portion of the electorate that votes for them is so vitriolic, hateful, ignorant, and stupid that they are untenable, and never were tenable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

SnowblindFatal posted:

Wonder if the best course would be to just let the republicans take it as far as they want to expedite restlessness among the masses? Maybe it would get even the staunchest republican's stance to waver if things got really, really lovely.

Accelerationism is dumb.

The more power they get, the more power they get; the more they control the message, the more they control the message. It isn't a win for anyone but them if they acquire more power and message control.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

RadicalWall posted:

I do understand the sentiment, but I also have republican family members and they'll tell you it's the Democrats. It's hard to say "our system is fine, except for half of the electorate who are inhuman monsters."

Honestly this is part of the problem that we have become so used to demonizing the other side and anyone who supports them that we're not even looking for bipartisanship because there's no political gain in compromise.

The difference is that most Democrats don't hold monstrous, inhuman viewpoints.

Why shouldn't we demonize those with demonic views?

Also, Democrats have been endlessly compromising with Republicans for about 30 years or so now. The result of that is a slow decline; compromise with Republicans - who have no views but hateful, destructive, and selfish ones - only results in slow decline.

Dystram fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 7, 2014

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Mornacale posted:

The problem is that we are trained from birth to recognize political radicals as dangerous, crazy, and often foolish or naive. We are taught that compromise is pretty much the essence of politics. This is probably especially true for people who lean left, who tend to value teamwork and empathy more than hierarchy. People are therefore willing to grasp at straws to avoid recognizing that there is not a single redeemable thing about the Republican Party. The GOP, for their part, has found a breaking strategy for the whole political system: insulate your base from anything but your messaging until even fringe views seem mainstream to them, at which point they view your opponents as dangerous radicals who can't be compromised with.

Yep. When "Hey, how about we do some things like we did 30 years ago - tax the rich, regulate banks, fund public education, etc. - that worked for the majority of people." is seen as crazy and leftist - despite actually being the status quo once upon a time and working for us - you are in some deep poo poo.

A lot of the time it boils down to self esteem - especially with pundits and Young Republicans and "wonks" and other retards - if they live in a bubble, where they control the facts and scope of debate, then they get to feel smart without actually having to be smart or informed or worth anything.

Dystram fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 7, 2014

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

I also think we have this idea that everyone's opinion is equally worthy of consideration. Which is great in some cases, but when someone wants to institute a policy whose demonstrable effect is lots of poor people dying, I'm not sure why we shouldn't reject that out of hand.

Most are also hard-pressed to admit that some are just stupid and/or hateful. Writing people off is hard for the left to do; many times it's their inherent weakness, at least with what passes for the left in the US.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp
John Boehner has been watching too much House of Cards.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Bill Clinton posted:

“You could take Lloyd Blankfein into a dark alley,” Clinton said, “and slit his throat, and it would satisfy them for about two days. Then the blood lust would rise again.”

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/bill-clinton-lloyd-blankfein-blood-lust-geithner-sorkin

quote:

Bill Clinton told former Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner that nothing would appease the populist "blood lust" for bankers -- not even slitting the throat of Goldman Sachs CEO Lloyd Blankfein in a dark alley.

That's according to a lengthy new article by Andrew Ross Sorkin published online Thursday for the New York Times magazine, which includes interviews with Geithner.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

zoux posted:

What if your grandpa had a youtube channel?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZByJ5z0LaLs

Oh man.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Wolfsbane posted:

This is only true if you can predict with 100% accuracy, in advance of the election, who the top two parties will be. Also if you disregard the effects a strong third party showing can have on the policies of the other candidates in the following elections (the Tea Party seem to have managed this without even running candidates, which is a neat trick).

"The Tea Party" is not, at all, a party. They are just Republicans.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Fried Chicken posted:

So, anecdotal evidence time. I just got off a 4 hour register shift at a warehouse sale. A few weeks back we had an incident that "damaged" (sprayed water on) a bunch of inventory. Insurance kicked in so we didn't lose any money, but it still needed to go. We also had a bunch (also insured) of wrong winner gear (eg Broncos Super Bowl xLVIII champions) we needed to clear out. So we took our check from the underwriters and then pushed notices to a bunch of low income churches about the sale of stuff. We were completely packed. You'd see the bus drop off moms at the end of the block, corral their kids, and guide them to our warehouse so they could get new clothes/jackets/shoes. There was just this overpowering sense of desperation as you watched mothers try to wrangle with the kids because the shirt with the team name cost $3 more and that pushed it out of price range.

The thing is, this was pure profit for us. Insurance already covered it. And even at the sharply reduced prices we were still charging more than it cost us, even factoring in holding costs. And we had people being unable to afford to wear the kind of stuff you see dumped overseas in Africa Aid commercials.

We are the richest, most powerful country in the history of the world. There is no valid reason for things to be like this.

But don't worry, some loving teabaggers are going to see a little poor kid wearing discounted Nikes and raise a poo poo fit, and we'll make it even worse.

gently caress I need a drink.

See, but if government would just get out of the way and not regulate anything, and if we'd just defund all social welfare programs, and privatize social security, those kids would be able to get clothes... wait... /s

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Bhaal posted:

The thread is moving quickly today but re: the global financial crisis I just wanted to post a video (one of many) of Mark Blyth giving a talk about sort of a post-mortem of the GFC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhldDOp77QA

IMO he has the right perspective on a lot of this, and has some really good talks (and a book) that takes the austerity measures going on in Europe and publicly slits its throat and bleeds it out in front of all to see (opposed to in a dark alley like Bill's MO, I guess)

This a great video.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp
Bought stock.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Fried Chicken posted:

The problem isn't the environmental factors directly. The problem is the environmental factors triggering chaos that sets off along political fault lines. See for example Syria, where the revolution can get traced to a drought in the eastern provinces pushing things over the edge. Or most of the 1600s, where the Little Ice Age set off a ton of wars, massacres, and revolutions. And the environmental factors will be enough to set of stressed political ties long before they themselves are an issue

Put your faith in the police state, comrade. :commissar:

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

What is your secret? Is it the amphetamines?

Probably that and the knowledge that everything has always been fairly hosed; this is all just business as usual.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Pohl posted:

Is that your argument? Come back when you can actually write about it and justify it. I'm not going to say you are right or wrong but your effort loving sucked. Try harder.

Or was that sarcasm? Your sarcasm sucks. :)

Facetiousness, actually. :smuggo:

Dystram fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 12, 2014

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Fried Chicken posted:

I'm torn between thinking that the elites were planning ahead with the buildup and programs and remembering that they have fully bought their own bullshit that none of this is actually a problem and the good times will resume as soon as they sit on the throne again.

Between Bush's program of building the infrastructure and legal opinions to allow for a massive crackdown, and the fact you don't spend 80 billion dollars a year to track illiterate assholes in afghan caves, it really seems that the elites know everything is about to go to poo poo and have focused on stealing everything they can before it goes to poo poo, and using mass repression to hold it afterwards. But that would require a level of understanding, foresight, planning, and control that just doesn't show up at any level when you actually look at these guys. If it was A) poo poo like the Great Recession wouldn't have happened, and B) they'd probably be tilting towards more cost effective solutions to buy the plebes off. The truth is those bastards are every bit as dumb and uncoordinated as anyone else, and this is more an emergent phenomena of "Hey, James sells military grade gear to police forces, lets let James get in on this gravy train, he'll come to me for a loan to expand his plants, so I'll get a bigger 'performance' bonus!"

We are so completely and utterly hosed

Unless the Great Recession was a pre-planned economic explosion intended to stall climate change for a little bit longer, to give them more time. I mean, what do you think they talk about all day at Bilderberg. :tinfoil:

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

StandardVC10 posted:

Hey kids, just remember that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. You may not think anyone cares about you, but I promise, there's more to heaven and earth. You'd be missed. I've been down that road - not as far as some people, but far enough to know that I don't want to go back.

As someone who hit a bad spell for a time from reading too much bad news, I'll say :dogout: if it's getting to you.

Everything is always hosed; everything is always beautiful.

Don't listen too much to nerds whining about the end of the world.

The world has always been ending.

Some day it'll end for you too; no use in hurrying that along.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Pohl posted:

That is just loving unnecessary.

Hopefully a lot of people quote it and it never dies. Hah.

The next concern-troll conservative who shows up will get it as an av.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

SubponticatePoster posted:

Now I'm a gay person, so this in and of itself is not meant as a slam, but Jesus loving Christ Ted Cruz has the gayest gayface. Like, Ted Haggard strength gayface. I just had a minor seizure because my gaydar pinged so hard. Maybe I've never really noticed before because I can't stand his goddamn face and try not to look at it but that gif :stonklol:

I think that's an insult to gay peeps.

He has more of a pedo face, if there is such a thing.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp
It's nice to see that the BLM might be charging these moronic assholes: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/charges-utah-atv-protest-riders-23685634

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

FourLeaf posted:

She... she backed down and said "Well, I guess I learned something today"!

There is hope! :yaycloud: (but to be fair she is generally very liberal. I know her parents are extremely conservative though so that's probably where it came from).

Just like a Liberal to back down. :smuggo:

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

nutranurse posted:

Also anecdotal, but I feel like the way math is taught in America renders the whole learning process into a 'sink or swim' situation. If you can do the coursework without too much aid from the teacher you're fine, cause the teacher sure as gently caress is not going to stop and help out anyone struggling. Once you've shown that you cannot keep pace you end up getting pushed back into the 'remedial' maths (which, ironically at my high school, was a consumer math class that taught you how to do your taxes and open a bank account and whatnot) and are forever doomed to just never understand math unless you go through the motions on your own.

I was one of those kids who "just didn't get math," now I do Math stuff on Khan Academy and Udacity sometimes and I think it's the coolest and I understand it.

The way we teach kids in this country is horrible but it's because of a lack of funding, too-large class sizes, and teachers not getting paid enough, and not "bad teachers" as right-wingers like to claim.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Magres posted:

College level math classes in particular are often, in my experience, stupid as gently caress if you want to learn things like 'Calculus you will actually find useful in life.' If someone has a decent base of Trig and Algebra, I can teach them the basics of Calculus in about twenty minutes. Like all you really need, in my experience, is to understand what Derivatives and Integrals actually physically mean when applied to the real world, so you can figure out when they're applicable to something. From there, you just figure out a function to describe what you're looking at (which is where you need the Trig/Algebra) and then go throw it into Mathematica (or Wolfram Alpha if you don't have Mathematica available for free).

I was a whiz kid at math my entire life (I skipped a year of math in high school and they had to build a new class for me and two other kids so we'd have something Math-y to do our senior year) until I hit college level math. I loving hated college math because at least 90% of it just, frankly, felt completely loving useless. It felt pedantic, esoteric, and overly academic and not at all geared to 'this is poo poo you will actually find useful in any kind of life situation.' There's such a thing as knowledge for the sake of knowledge, but I think it is incredibly stupid that STE[s]M[/m] majors (the M excluded for obvious reasons - if you're going into Mathematics you are someone who actually WANTS to learn Math for the sake of Math) can't take classes like 'Applied Calculus' and be done with it, instead of using Math classes as weedout classes so everyone is scared of them and hates them.

That was Differential Equations to Engineering majors at my university.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

computer parts posted:

Nope, several conservative states are white as snow so racial logic doesn't work on them.

Mostly it's "this is the way things have been, so let them continue" ad infinitum.

FYGM

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Rockopolis posted:

I don't normally drink. Y'all are making me start again.

That being said, at least the whole doom and gloom about education fills me with hope.
It is said civic duty is dead, that the hearts of men (and women) are empty of compassion, but knowing that so many willingly give up so much, getting liberal arts degrees to subsidize those seeking STEM degrees, that they defeat the Fallacy of Composition by sacrificing all chance of a career, brings tears to my eyes and pride to my heart. Such nobility, such generosity, such chivalry! Truly, we live in a blessed age, that such brotherhood (and sisterhood) can exist. :unsmith:

:smithicide:

I have an English degree and I've worked mostly as a graphic designer and a web developer.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp
Does anyone know if universities splitting their colleges into STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics and LASS (Liberal Arts and Social Sciences), from them just all being siloed off in the College of Arts and Sciences with The College of Engineering off by itself in many places, was wrapped up in "LASS is for liberal scum and people who want useless degrees! We must bring most of out serious programmes under one umbrella!" rhetoric? In the same way that you have a separate "College of Business" to attract conservative students and parents?

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

socialsecurity posted:

It's amazing how these "smart" people with the correct degrees don't realize if everyone went to College to be a engineer then the supply will go up massively to not meet demand and there will be huge pay cuts throughout the field.

It they had an actually useful degree, like a Business Degree, they'd understand supply and demand! :smuggo:

Really, though, degree war bullshit is just STEM nerds trying to find one thing in life they can finally feel elite about.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

zoux posted:

You'd think that would be required reading for some intro level econ history course.

We don't want our budding economists to read anything that might make them think to challenge the status quo; we only want economists who will justify decisions made by our owners.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Magres posted:

Just to clarify, and I'm not asking this to be a gently caress head - Sedan was that rant quoting something or from the heart? Again, serious question because you have a reputation for being trolly and most of your posting I've seen has been fighting with people so I haven't gotten any measure of you.

I want to believe, though.

Also drink chat: Angry Orchard owns really hard. Cindy Apple is like drinking an amazing cinnamon apple pie

That's all him.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/nra-bringbackourgirls-hashtag

A Gaping rear end in a top hat posted:

"Ms. Psaki's and Mrs. Obama's naiveté--thinking that Vladimir Putin or Boko Haram terrorists will change their ways because of tweets--would provide ample fodder for their ridicule, were we so inclined," the NRA said. "But while we appreciate the value of maintaining a sense of humor in the face of things that are disagreeable, we do so only within reasonable limits. There is nothing funny in this instance."

The NRA said it would not "stake our personal safety on '#PleaseDontHurtMe' tweets."

"Instead, we will exercise our right to arms, by acquiring the best arms for defensive purposes and becoming proficient in their use," the NRA said. "And we will do everything possible in 2016 to help elect a president who understands the importance of maintaining strength, whether dealing with common criminals here at home, or with international criminals on the world stage."

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Prosopagnosiac posted:

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/local/2014/05/18/kelly-bond-remains-police-seek-others-possible-conspiracy/9260015/

Clayton Kelly is the individual in questions name, he's from the same hometown as me, and in looking at Facebook we have 17 friends in common so this kinda hits close to home for me. No I don't know him, but based on his Facebook profile he's a strong Christian Conservative Libertarian, who supported Ron Paul in 2012. McDaniel has been running a fairly negative campaign, and Thad has been hitting back pretty hard. This is like a textbook example of establishment vs. Tea Party in this primary. I have no doubt that he was planning to anonymously hand it over to he McDaniel Campaign before getting caught. His wife presented the press with a parking pass from the nursing home, but I don't think that have him any license to do what he did. He's currently being charged with conspiracy and held on $100,000 bond.

As for St. Catherine's being lovely, eh I guess they're all bad in their own way, but it's by no means substandard: http://www.stcatherinesvillage.com/services-and-amenities

It's in the richest town in the entire state, so I highly doubt that it's some awful place. That the McDaniel campaign has used the presence of one of his senior aides on foreign trips to smear Cochran is no secret, so this kind of plays right into that. They'll run away from it and condemn it, but it really doesn't look good that a supporter of his did this, certainly not 3 weeks away from the election.

Can anyone explain to me why LOLbertarians don't just identify as Republican? They are pretty much the exact same thing.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Accretionist posted:

I think the self-image for a lot of them is 'Smart Republicans.'

Yeah, the same-old crap cloaked in psuedo-academic lingo.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp
lol

http://www.theroot.com/articles/politics/2014/02/chelsi_p_henry_why_i_m_a_black_female_republican.html?wpisrc=policymic

CHELSI P. HENRY posted:

My mother gave birth to me when she was 16 years old, and we received government assistance during the first few years of my life. When I was growing up, she taught me the importance of making a budget and living by it. In our home I learned the importance of having a plan and delaying gratification for the things I wanted or thought I deserved. It meant generic brands instead of name brands and buying what I needed, rather than what I may have wanted. It meant living more conservatively.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Radish posted:

Exactly. The only thing Tea Partiers have brought to the table is the absolute unwillingness to compromise and no shame in being open with their loathsome opinions. The idea that they are ideologically extreme when compared to their parent is a fiction created to make Republicans seem less terrible and the neutral middle to the Democratic left and the Tea Party right.

Yep. The Tea Party is not real, at all; they are really just Republicans and always have been - they just needed some trendy dumb-as-poo poo thing to cling to after Bush became an embarrassment.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

BUSH 2112 posted:

I really never thought that the GOP would simply knee-jerk react against anything that Obama does. Like, sure, it was funny when they were like "NO BLACK LADY GON TELL ME TO DRANK WATER!" but who the gently caress ever realistically thought that the GOP would actively want to gently caress veterans while looking like they're loving veterans? It's some through-the-looking-glass poo poo.

You misunderstand. It's about creating problems that you can convince your rank-and-file voters to blame Obama for, and they have, and are.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Alexzandvar posted:

This would be awesome but then he went on a Russian talk show and gave Putin a fake interview to make Putin not look bad for invading the Crimera and funding terrorists in eastern Ukraine.

Snowden only cares about the attention and Russia is more than willing to give it to him to make the west look bad.

You don't think that throwing Russia some good PR opportunities might be in his interest in order to maintain his asylum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

icantfindaname posted:

The right is mostly losing their poo poo about the release of the Taliban members from what I've seen, they don't care that much about Bergdahl himself besides the usual "slander everything Obama does". Essentially they want the US to arrest every single Arab who even might be a terrorist and lock them up in secret torture prison forever. Letting even 5 of them out, for any reason at all, is unacceptable. That's the fundamental problem, and assuming the people you're talking with are true believers like it sounds, you're not going to convince them otherwise

Yep. It's basically "9/11! Have your forgotten?! Never forget! Eternal vengeance!" set to the tune of these songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1JOFhfoAD4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6yLQRF-cEU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPHnadJ-0hE

These people are stupid and insane and jingoistic and hateful. There is no reasoning with them.

• Locked thread