Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Wolfsheim posted:

I usually just pound High Life when I'm reading this thread or when I'm not reading this thread, is this acceptable y/n

Anyway, is there any truth to the impeachment rumors, or is it all just so much empty base-riling? Tell me the House isn't that crazy, yet.

Also, who gets to impeach Alito and Thomas for making paid appearance to Koch events and then not recusing themselves from pertinent cases?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Sword of Chomsky posted:

what rare earth metal does he think we should base our currency on? :colbert:

Labor?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Sword of Chomsky posted:

I had to tell my dad to gently caress off about Benghazi the other day as he was tooting his outrage horn at me. I asked him if he knew the names of the people that died, and what they believed in. he obviously said no, and that it didn't matter. The conversation didn't go well after that. gently caress anyone trying to use those names for their own agenda.

You have to treat old Republicans as a protected class, as they almost universally have lead poisoning causing near-senility at an early age. Combine that with the fact the only thing they've accomplished over their lifetimes was to wreck the most advantaged country in the world, well, you can expect a lot of arguments to go nowhere as they hang their self worth on something they're pretty sure the TV said about Benghazi.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Hakarne posted:

I'm a left-leaning individual and I find these threads to be a valuable resource for political news, as well as for presenting fact-based arguments that convincingly advocate for progressive solutions. I would recommend these threads to anyone looking for an objective view on the state of politics in the U.S.

However, these last two pages with the creepy murder and conspiracy fantasies makes everyone look like a bunch of unhinged loving loons. Yeah, we should lament the system that allowed bankers to get away with everything and yeah the Supreme Court made a controversial and very-arguably bullshit call with Bush v. Gore. But this freep-laced tinfoil hat bullshit does far more to undermine all the progressive positions advocated in this thread than any right-wing hack could hope to accomplish. The fact that more people haven't called out the crazy makes it even more disturbing.

Considering violent revolutions have been going on since the beginning of civilization, I don't think continuing the discussion started by Bill Clinton about what the people want vis a vis graphically murdering bankers makes us somehow outside of the norm.

If you no longer recommend the US Politics for Month thread in D&D to others as a valuable political resource I understand and will respect your decision.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

theshim posted:

Emphasis on everything indeed :ohdear:

Maybe President Sanders will coax him out of retirement.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

So you advocate entry into an already rigged game? That is supposed to encourage people? Most liberals I know at least have the social intelligence to cover over the fact it is rigged. At least you are honest, I guess.

You see how your points are being sidestepped as you get drawn further and further into a narrative where you're wrong? You're not going to convince any true life Republicans (or "Independents", these days) to back down from lovely indefensible positions if every time they bring one up you dance, dance, dance for them.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Is he actually a right winger? He seems weirdly ambiguous in this regard.

See this? It betrays that you assume you're debating a subject with someone in good faith. You're still like three steps too close to the tv screen.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Dystram posted:

Bought stock.

I fired a guy on his first not-training day.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

computer parts posted:

Here's the property values of the past 25 years or so:

Not amazingly similar, but worth noting. You'd think that location would be less important when 90% of your profit generating companies are based around siphoning money out of teenagers via webapps.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

That mayday crowd-sourcing thing did alright so far, 20 days left to go and 80% funded: http://mayone.us/

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Swagger Dagger posted:

I get through the day by remembering that Alzheimer's and dementia run through both sides of my family and hoping I'll be too far gone to care about the famine riots when they come in 50 years.

Our kids will be telling us that Something Awful is fully owned by Koch Conglomerate and 99% of the posts we see are chatbots convincing us to vote against our interests.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I see the game plan of depressing and disenfranchising the public is going swimmingly.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

I support Obama and the Dems 110% and all, but poo poo like this really needs to stop:

http://www.vox.com/2014/5/12/5691934/how-massachusetts-screwed-up-obamacare

What the gently caress, Massachusetts? Same poo poo happened in Oregon and Maryland, all three run by Dem governors with Dem legislatures. Not a single one of these states can fallback on the excuse that Republicans are loving things up.

I get letters in the mail every month or two that say I'm still temporarily covered, and to show that piece of paper to the ER if I happen to end up there. That, and promises they'll have a ruling on my RomBamaCare status shortly.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

happyhippy posted:

Love this one. Its like asking why hasn't Flight MH370 been found when the survivors of the Titanic were found within hours.

I hope he's not referring to the Boston Bombing photos that Reddit crawled over, identifying an innocent 20 something as the bomber for looking not-quite-white whose body was later found in a river.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Dystram posted:

We don't want our budding economists to read anything that might make them think to challenge the status quo; we only want economists who will justify decisions made by our owners.

See: the oft-disproven Austrian School of Economics

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

tbp posted:

I don't think the argument should be on the basis of which is better though. The speed of it all doesn't matter much, I think, if the person understands the concept behind it. I don't think we emphasize conceptualization very well.

Didn't you just make fun of people who have to stop and think when calculating a percent based tip? Like literally two posts ago.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Miltank posted:

Water boarding is less analogous to crucifixion because it is less public.

All terrorist actions send the same message: "do not oppose us or you will suffer." You could argue that water boarding doesn't fall in to that category because it was started as a secret means of extracting information, but now the idea of water boarding and other torture at prisons such as Guantanamo and Abu Garib send a very strong message. Water boarding is now well established as a consequence for opposing the the US and as such, serves the same basic purpose as a crucifixion would.

^this all might be what you mean by breaking a message down until it is meaningless, but I disagree. I see it as deconstructing a message to find its meaning.

Also no one takes waterboarding seriously. It's not like we're flaying our enemies, we're just freaking them out a little bit.

Turns out 'little bit' is on par with mock executions and violates the Genova Convention, but who cares, it's a bucket of water those people should sack up.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It means please pay attention to me so that I may derail the thread as I, tbp, oft do.

Got to admit though, that's a hell of an ambiguous statement. I might steal that and use it in a group of idiots someday.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

What does easily have anything to do with it? Computers do all the work of gerrymandering anyway.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Amergin posted:

We won even though we lost because we affected the system!

Hey man, that hits a little too close to home.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Warchicken posted:

My brother in law is a climate science denier and I have to dodge his retarded rear end questions about it until I leave next week. He just brings up stupid point after stupid point like "but the arctic temperatures haven't changed in decades!" And "but their predictive models were wrong! They changed them now that they have new data, how can you trust them?" And "the Antarctic ice sheet falling apart at this time when it's been frozen for millions of years is from underwater volcanic activity, it's a coincidence that mankind industrialized at the same time". It seriously is the worst thing. He also believes peer review is a joke and that you can easily plagiarize a phd dissertation to get a doctorate in the sciences, and that dissertations are only worth reading on the topic if they're "influential".

People that buy into this poo poo are so far up their own stupid assholes that there is simply no reason talking to them about it at all, they just love the pseudo intellectual image it gives them. These are people that unironically, literally believe they know more about it than people with multiple doctorates in the sciences. He has a degree in graphic design, but this blog he read you see...scientists post on it you see. He doesn't buy into the mainstream media :smug:

Don't get upset by it, it just reinforces their resolve. This is dealing with assholes 101- if someone's tailgating you, you slow down. They're the gently caress who wants to get somewhere, so you hamstring them over it.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

On Terra Firma posted:

Christ. I just read all this. :psyduck:

I cannot wait for the midterms.

Honestly. To avoid emptyquote, I want to say absolem has the best title I've ever seen.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

US Politics: 130 posts per day and it's only June

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

What ever happened to Clive Bundy?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Fried Chicken posted:

From personal experience, yes, people can absolutely gently caress up that equipment with dangerous results, both for people and national security. The system is over engineered to hell and back to prevent breakdown or damage, but taking the wrong actions can cause disasters.

EG:

http://legacy.utsandiego.com/news/military/20050505-1156-ca-ussreagan.html

http://www.cbs8.com/story/12015295/sailor-killed-aboard-uss-ronald-reagan-identified

I know for a fact we have lost yellow bagged radioactive material over board, had many steam leaks, unplanned reactor scrams, and in one notable case almost crashed an aircraft carrier into the suez canal

Not to nitpick, but two people dying on the job over the course of a decade isn't a lot considering the populations of our floating cities and fleets of nuclear powered boats.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Kalman posted:

Then your data completely contradicts the data I've seen, unless the vast majority of pension funds go to the top 20% (possible, I suppose.)

I was examining a McKinsey study on equities; what's your source?

Don't quote, or worse, allude; just link the studies.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Mo_Steel posted:

There's a reason "Rich man's war, poor man's fight" became a saying back in the Civil War, and it poses an interesting question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yT4RZy1t3s&t=448s
It's so disappointing to listen to Harvard students stand up among each other and be complete idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

edit: beaten by someone more eloquent.

• Locked thread