Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hey guys, just swinging by to tell you that you're all wrong and that poor adults (not children) deserve to be ground into a fine powder to be used to pave the streets. Thanks!

I find it pretty funny that Clay Aiken has a better chance at getting a seat than Steve Wiles. NC is kinda awesome sometimes.

Fried Chicken: you have an url tag wrong in the OP and you didn't accredit me with the thread title :arghfist::qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

anonumos posted:

You mean the machines that added a vote for Bush if you voted for Gore. Yeh, that was lovely.

Wow look at this conspiracy theorist. :rolleyes:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ravenfood posted:

I would love a source on this. Not being facetious, I really would.

AP article: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/6418513/ns/politics-voting_problems/t/machine-glitch-gave-bush-extra-ohio-votes/

quote:

COLUMBUS, Ohio — An error with an electronic voting system gave President Bush 3,893 extra votes in suburban Columbus, elections officials said.

Franklin County’s unofficial results had Bush receiving 4,258 votes to Democrat John Kerry’s 260 votes in a precinct in Gahanna. Records show only 638 voters cast ballots in that precinct. Bush’s total should have been recorded as 365.

Bush didn't steal Ohio or anything, but there was definitely some fuckery going on.

E: to expand a bit more, I was being facetious and piling on the false equivalency that birthers are the exact same as people who say that the 2000 and 2004 elections had some Messed Up poo poo. The primary difference is that one is based within reality and the other is not.

Phone fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 9, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Joementum posted:

John Crisco died unexpectedly at his home today, so there will not be a need for a runoff in the North Carolina 2nd CD Democratic Primary. Clay Aiken is now unopposed in his race to lose to Renee Ellmers in November.

I was housesitting a few weeks ago and had the displeasure of seeing this ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csFa8LRkGZQ

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The amount I've gotten paid versus how hard I worked (with bonus how frustrated I was) is completely inversely proportional.

I'm going to go fuse with the loveseat downstairs and passively become a millionaire.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hey guys, just swinging by to tell you that it's hard to fix systematic abuses by institutions against individuals and an entire generation of Americans.

But they dressed like they were asking for it and it's easier to blame them, so

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

SedanChair posted:

Who says that a 22 year old with a BA in English is less educated than a 22 year old tradesperson with 4-6 years of experience?

Me, THE ARBITER OF ASSIGNING AND ASSUMING INTELLIGENCE BASED ON ANECDOTES.

Anyways, pick up this can, citizen.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The best thing about these new scams is that you have to sit through 45 minutes of "gosh darn, I'm so mad at X and I'll tell you a secret" before they actually tell you what they're selling.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah. That's why we're talking about him.

I really do like the defense of "it was a joke!" when it comes to wiretapping an elected official.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Who are you arguing against?

I mean, no one is arguing that soldiers get the short end of the stick more times than not; however, the original comment you got all pissy about isn't exactly false. If you want, I can break down effectual's post into a 7-layer mexican bean dip.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
- Get into a "war" against an ideology
- Push for said war using poo poo that was just straight up false (WMDs)
- InvadeLiberate and bring freedom to a handful of countries
- Mmmhm, weird the locals don't like their poo poo getting kicked in
- Shoot at browns

Say what you will about hindsight, but willingly signing up for the military given the circumstances of the past decade is kind of a good argument for "you're accepting a paycheck for a definite nonzero chance at being able to use your rifle". Is it a crass statement, sure.

The second part about how veterans are special citizens you're playing into 100%. I work with a bunch of vets and anyone who pays the least amount of attention (as opposed to just ARE TROOPS lip service) knows of the whole civilians versus soldier thing. It's just straight up classism, it's nothing new or exciting; a different coat of paint on the same poo poo. You also have to consider the fact that he's using the same type of language people use about poor people on welfare and whatnot. It's just a permutation.

By the way, I understand that being in the military is the Hardest Thing in the World and that No One Could Ever Comprehend. I mean, it's really hard signing a contract for 4 years of constant employment, having your housing subsidized, getting free college afterwards, and all of the other benefits. Yeah, you might get shot at and maimed, but you knew that going in because we're actively at war with an ideology.

Nobody is arguing that benefits being cut for veterans isn't awful. Most people in D&D understand the whole idea about environmental elements being out of people's control. It isn't an individual soldier's fault that he's permanently disabled from an IED going off. It isn't an individual homeless person's fault that he's mentally ill and cannot get the healthcare that he needs.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Boon posted:

Everyone got pretty caught on the whole "life on the line" thing. I'd argue, and if you read my post, that it's a pretty small part of it. It's the time commitment. It's the being away from life that is the real sacrifice.

From my own experience. I was stationed in Hawaii for 45 months. In those 45 months I spent 22 of them physically at sea. That's a hard thing for people to understand because they have nothing to compare that too.

Oh OK.

Well I wouldn't know anything about working that hard. I worked overnight stocking shelves at a grocery store full time while going to college for 4 years. I really can't comprehend the sacrifice because I would work from 9pm to 7am and then be in class a few hours later taking 15+ credit hours a semester. I can't really emphasize with only have 3 hours of sleep a night and having no spare time.

I mean, I guess I could have quit my job. I think being homeless while trying to go to college is a good alternative.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
In prison you still get 3 hots and a cot.

You can also work on being the pinnacle of human physique, or whatever Scalia said.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Boon posted:

Like I said, you won't/can't understand the significant differences between the two. It's no less lovely, but it's significantly different.

Yeah, it's because I'm a dumb civ, right?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm not begrudging him. I don't think he's a bad dude or anything, and he has said multiple times that everyone should have similar benefits.

His thesis is NO ONE ELSE CAN EMPATHIZE and shoots down any other example of hard work because it wasn't special hard work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

GAYMIEN SANDOW posted:

Impeaching Obama would be great because either the Republicans fail and they've impeached two Democratic presidents in a row and lost and look like crap, or they succeed and remove him from office. Then we get President Biden. His second executive order would be to declare being Republican illegal in The Party Zone. His first would be to rename the United States to The Party Zone.

I want to live in this America Party Zone.

• Locked thread