Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

So what's the difference between Freepers posting about keeping powder dry and how the revolution will start any day now and our current conversation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Was a member of the Libertarian party for about 8 months when I was 18.

Voted for Ralph Nader in a mock election in 6th grade because I thought libertarian meant weed for everyone

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Rexicon1 posted:

(If you are wealthy and white and didn't come of age during this recession)

I did and all I have is $40,000 of student loan debt and crippling anxiety and depression and reading all these articles about how everything is hosed and nothing will ever get better makes me want to off myself sometimes instead of living through a Christian theocracy or whatever the hell we'll be in 30 years

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

Relax, the Christian Right has been waning ever since Newt Gingrich's self immolation. In 30 years we'll be in a libertarian utopia where the Republicans have stopped caring about weed and gays and Democrats have stopped pretending to care about income inequality or labor.

How would a Christian libertopia work?

You can smoke all the weed you want as long as you go to megachurch every week?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Can we go back to alcoholchat instead of circular arguments about who's more lower class?

e: No, please, for the love of God, post it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's believed that when they found out McCain's family connection, and thus value, they took extra care with him because regardless of what info he did or did not have he was going to be rather valuable alive. In 2008 when people thought it'd be McCain vs Hilary there was a lot of huffing(of glue) on the right and Talk Radio about how Clinton had dug up dirt on him to paint him as selling out the country as a POW or whatever. You know, something that certainly would not have a chance at backfiring horribly because holy poo poo are you seriously attacking a political opponent for being tortured by the Viet Cong?

Well yeah the official leftist position as of 1970 was all Vietnam troops are scum plus he is also a Republican.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

mdemone posted:

Good sweet Lord. Wouldn't ten 80mm pieces have done the job without having to spend years making something so...ridiculous?

Maybe not, I dunno how beefy the Maginot Line actually was.

A lot of it consisted of deep underground bunkers made of reinforced concrete so not really. It was made specifically to take them out in the event of a frontal assault on the Maginot Line that never happened. They ended up using it as a siege weapon in Russia I think.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 18, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I'm pretty sure the Nazis had prototype radar-guided surface-to-air missiles in like 1943 but they weren't seriously developed because they were considered a defensive weapon and saying Germany needed defensive weapons was :commissar:able.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Joementum posted:

There are two living grandchildren of President John Tyler.

Didn't the last person collecting a civil war widows' pension die recently? Married a 90 year old veteran at 18 in the 1940s or something?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Joementum posted:

Here's a timely personnel announcement: the White House Council's Office has hired a lawyer specializing in crisis control and prevention.

What if they found Benghazi's birth certificate :ohdear:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Relentlessboredomm posted:

If your blood pressure is a little low then you should pick up the new Taibbi book. This thing is a rage inducing machine. He, in his usual Taibbi way, demonstrates all the various ways the system is failing but its mostly focused on the Justice System. I'm starting to think Obama or more specifically Eric Holder is the worst thing to happen to the criminal justice system in decades. It's overwhelming how hard the shift has been. They've taken a slow drift and accelerated it exponentially.

I don't understand why you'd want to read these books, it's like okay more proof the world is poo poo and will never improve and that you can't do anything about it because leftism is 100% dead and we'll all be corporate slaves living in company towns in 50 years. Now what? I have to avoid this crap or I'd never get out of loving bed or drive my car off a bridge.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

JT Jag posted:

The Presidency was considered a much more sacrosanct institution during the 1930s and 40s than it is now. Most Americans didn't even know Roosevelt was paralyzed.

The reason why the White House desk has a solid front instead of a cutout is that it was modified to hide his wheelchair from visitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Yeah my Facebook is full of Troops i went to high school with ranting about how this is more proof Obama is working with the terrorists to destroy America, Bergdahl should be shot as a deserter (along with insinuations about the deserter status of Obama and the penalties that should go along with it), etc.

• Locked thread