Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
What, you don't like losing MP/getting confused/getting int drained/etc. when you try to get more blue points to cast firestorm again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
i've got a HEAE who just got the abyssal rune and holy loving god was that an ordeal

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

LaTex Fetish posted:

drat this looks really fun and funny

I married a skeleton and my daughter who is a penguin keeps complaining to me to give her money

if I don't the house turns poor and looks like bums live there

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

zhp is really good

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I like doomrl and dungeons of dredmor, what's another roguelike where I can kill a lot of monsters without needing to memorize a wiki?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Brogue is very lean and I've never felt the need to look anything up.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

straight jerkers posted:

zhp is really good

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Geight posted:

I like doomrl and dungeons of dredmor, what's another roguelike where I can kill a lot of monsters without needing to memorize a wiki?

rogue

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Geight posted:

Brogue is awesome for this but one time I came across some stargate-looking thing, what do you do with those?

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Geight posted:

Brogue, Sil, Dungeon Crawl.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
86856527 is pretty cool

e: apparently it's on ios now. neat. if you're an apple guy, hoplite is also pretty rad

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Jackard posted:

Brogue is awesome for this but one time I came across some stargate-looking thing, what do you do with those?

It's a type of vault activated by an orb instead of a key. If you put an orb on the nearby altar it spawns a legendary-type ally next to the gate.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Has someone already posted about Delver? I wanna see a page of posts about why it's not a roguelike.

Dec 26, 2012

quote:

Delver is a first person action roguelike

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

DalaranJ posted:

It's a type of vault activated by an orb instead of a key. If you put an orb on the nearby altar it spawns a legendary-type ally next to the gate.

Yeah I got an Ifrit buddy from one, it was badass and then it died and then I died. That's my story.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

the best ally ive managed is a Black Pudding

it starts losing effectiveness when you reach the magma

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

DalaranJ posted:

OrB!!!! Lol

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

you stopped before the really good part

quote:

Delver is a first person action roguelike dungeon crawl with crunchy pixels.

the best kind

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

the best kind
unnngh

my wallet opens

Dec 26, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

you stopped before the really good part

the best kind

ohh yeah feel those pixels crunch

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
The best things that get borrowed from roguelikes are the parts that apparently aren't very roguelike.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
Crawl owns, but I have one question that I haven't figured out yet.

When Trog gives me a +9 Morningstar or whatever, is that +9 to damage or accuracy? The enchant weapon scrolls come in both varieties, but how is that applied to found enchanted weapons?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

DrPain posted:

Crawl owns, but I have one question that I haven't figured out yet.

When Trog gives me a +9 Morningstar or whatever, is that +9 to damage or accuracy? The enchant weapon scrolls come in both varieties, but how is that applied to found enchanted weapons?

The two stats were merged for weapon enchantments, there's now only one type of enchant weapon scroll and it does both. So +9 to damage range and accuracy.

vvv Good point here!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 4, 2014

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

If you're playing an old version, it separates it out as +acc, +dam in that order. But if it's the same, like +9 acc, +9 dam morningstar, it would just say +9 morningstar in old versions, as well.

Dec 26, 2012

Gimbal lock posted:

The best things that get borrowed from roguelikes are the parts that apparently aren't very roguelike.

what are you calling the best things, here

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

01011001 posted:

what are you calling the best things, here

jumping around a lot and having crazy poo poo thrown at you

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

DoubleDonut posted:

ToeJam and Earl.
Maybe you're japanese and you played Shiren the Wanderer somehow

holy poo poo... never really thought of toejam and earl being a roguelike before but drat

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Gimbal lock posted:

are you suggesting the id game is a piece of poo poo that isn't actually fun ever???

how dare you...!

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial

Jeffrey posted:

The two stats were merged for weapon enchantments, there's now only one type of enchant weapon scroll and it does both. So +9 to damage range and accuracy.

...wait what? Why would they do that? Like I understand that Crawl is all about simplifying things but probably 4/5 RPGs separate to-hit and damage numbers and that's fine and gives the game more variety. I guess because to-hit didn't matter much in Crawl?

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

El Wombato posted:

...wait what? Why would they do that? Like I understand that Crawl is all about simplifying things but probably 4/5 RPGs separate to-hit and damage numbers and that's fine and gives the game more variety. I guess because to-hit didn't matter much in Crawl?

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

e - a legendary deck of destruction (in hand)
You draw a card...it is Chris Campbell.
Choose an arbitrary feature to cut:

Read
Dec 21, 2010

El Wombato posted:

yeah pretty much

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

El Wombato posted:

Yeah to-hit didn't matter too much. There's also no more failure chance for weapon enchantment. I think features should have to justify their existence if they make things more complicated, no need for tradition. The failure chance was more interesting than separate to-hit and damage to me though. Slaying rings are also just one plus now.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:rip: good decks of wonder and also nemelex being the best god

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial
Honestly I'm OK with the Nem changes, I think farming for the decks you wanted was really annoying and didn't fit with the feel of Crawl. Sacrificing consumables for a chance at permanent bonuses was a cool mechanic though.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
+hit and +dmg being the same is honestly a good design decision. You can still add +hit as a Dex bonus if you want and +dmg as a strength bonus. Also Missing isn't a fun mechanic so you should balance combat that way and in any good game, missing should be a rare event, not a thing that happens constantly.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

e - a legendary deck of destruction (in hand)
You draw a card...it is Chris Campbell.
Choose an arbitrary feature to cut:

please get rid of marvinPA tia

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

Read posted:

yeah pretty much

that's not true at all, to-hit is very important

Read
Dec 21, 2010

German Joey posted:

that's not true at all, to-hit is very important

hitting monsters is important, acc bonuses are not generally very relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

please get rid of marvinPA tia

marvinpa did not make this change, or in fact, any changes at all in the last month

it's kind of funny how obsessed you & the other 4chan people are with him, tho

• Locked thread