Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

I'm game for this, but since the Twins and Brewers are taken, I don't really have a preference for a team.

I guess the San Francisco Giants? Gonna say AL-only DH.

e: Swapped teams, I am taking the San Diego Padres, JosefStalinator is taking the Giants.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

JosefStalinator posted:

Aww I wanted the Giants! Unless you wanna switch Infidel Castro (assuming you don't have any preference, since I'd love my hometown team), I'll take the Padres as next best thing. AL only DH

Sure thing. I am also abolishing those stupid camo jerseys they wear every Sunday, so it's a fictional win-win for us all.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

I'm for a budget. I was determined to make as competitive a team as I could for as little money as possible. I wound up with a drat good team for only $41m.

Either way, as everyone's on even footing, i'm fine.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah, Seattle ran out of time as of 2PM Eastern and the Yankees are 23 minute in to their clock.

I won't be home for a few hours so Seattle can still pick whenever they want to jump in until I get the chance to auto them.

I'm using OOTP 15 to track the draft. If you wanted, I could do the autodraft if it comes up in the morning, since I work mostly 2nd shifts.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

IcePhoenix posted:

I was wondering when Harper would go.

I was considering him as early as my pick (#8), but with the win now aspect of the game and the fact that I had arguably the best player at a rather thin position available, I couldn't pass it up. I think if we were going longer I still take Longoria, but Harper becomes a much more attractive option.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

I was hoping some sort of ace would fall to me in round 2, but seeing how I got Petco Park on my side, every pitcher is a potential ace!

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

IcePhoenix posted:

That is not who I thought you were going to pick, but it is still a good pick.

I surely thought he was taking Nick Punto. Thankfully, he did not, leaving me just one pick away from being able to grab Nick Punto.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

THE RED MENACE posted:

I know who this pinto is and its going to leave me disappointed

I'm at the point where there are quite a few players I'd take at this point, but I have to remember that whoever I draft is gonna be less awesome because my stadium hates fun dingers.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

This was one hell of a pick to decide on, and after changing my mind about 8 loving times between 3 different players, the San Diego Padres select

gently caress me. Make that 9.

e: THERE. I PICKED.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 15, 2014

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

mynameisjohn posted:

was Allen Craig the punto of my mediocre Cardinals?

Yes. I was 100% convinced you were trading up to get him. I know he's been having a bit of a poo poo season in real life, but we're in stat nerd land where none of that matters. Craig is a RHB that can drive the gaps really well, which makes him a pretty drat good fit for PETCO.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 15, 2014

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

IcePhoenix posted:

Nice post, Infidel Pander

Hey now, that's just mean. It's not like I'm double posting in the other thread. :v:

mynameisjohn posted:

In a vacuum I'd probably prefer Craig as a hitter, but there are like no good second basemen left

There are a few that, while not superstars, I would certainly not mind having. The other players I was considering were Freeman and Zobrist. Freeman's essentially a left-handed version of Craig with slightly lower current ratings but has potential to be better. I might take Freeman if we were doing more than a year, but even then PETCO is murder on left-handed power. Zobrist would have been nice with his ability to play MIF and OF. I just think I can get a serviceable 2B later on, and Zobrist's numbers in sims never popped out as being very good to me.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

tadashi posted:

It was a gimmick that showed up kind of spontaneously the first time this kind of a draft happened. People couldn't help themselves from talking about players so Punto became the placeholder for every player's name.

Which was great, especially when Nick Punto was drafted.

Like, actual Nick Punto.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

mynameisjohn posted:

Kimbrel was my next pick :mrgw:

I don't care how good a RP is, 3rd round is WAY too early to be taking them.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

tatankatonk posted:

Lucroy was the dude I was going to pick one pick later, good job and drat you

I was going to see if he would drop to round 5 since I was originally targeting Desmond, but once Wieters went, that pretty much forced me to move him up.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Pander posted:

Does OOTP care about pitch framing?

No per se, but I'm guessing a good framing catcher gets a boost in the Catcher Ability rating.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

If I remember correctly, he slid all the way into the 9th round in the one we did 2 yeas ago. I was at the point that if he had slipped to me in that round I would have taken him anyway despite having taken Posey with my 1st rounder.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Didn't you take Longoria?

This year I did. In the 2012 one we did I took Posey at #17 overall.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

IcePhoenix posted:

HAL9100 hasn't posted since Friday, hopefully that doesn't mean he's MIA! He's got about two hours left, though.

Will he be replaced? That'd be 2 auto-picks in the first 4 rounds, for gently caress's sake.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

IcePhoenix posted:

I forgot to mention it last night, but Pence's defense is pretty highly rated in OOTP. So basically any fly ball hit in Colorado is going to have a BABIP of zero.

Tatonkatonk has roughly two hours left to pick once the clock starts this morning.

I was pretty happy he dropped to me. He doesn't really have any holes in his game and plays excellent CF defense. I don't think there are any CF left that don't have a glaring weakness.

Crisp doesn't have a very good arm, but other than that, yeah, solid 4-tool guy.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

There were a bunch of bats I really liked, but I couldn't resist nabbing myself a good lefty starter.

KC is up.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

IcePhoenix posted:

The amount of high quality shortstops still available in the fourth and fifth rounds has made me seriously question my selection of Tulo at sixth overall a whole lot.

There's a difference between high quality and indisputably the best player at his position though. Tulo is a good pick, and if you hadn't taken him, I was going to.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

IcePhoenix posted:

Is that "who the gently caress is Brian Dozier" thing a meme or do people just not follow baseball outside their team? I'd think it's probably hard to miss the guy that's on pace for 150 runs and a 40/40 season over a quarter of the way through the season (also plays Real Good defense).

That being said, liiiiiitle bit of a reach in this game.

I was considering him for my next batch of picks, but yeah, little early for Killdozier.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

IcePhoenix posted:

Bull-Dozier*

Killdozier sounds way meaner, and therefore is better. :colbert:

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

JosefStalinator posted:

If you're questioning this, you haven't checked the giants' page.

I'm afraid you've been outdone by the folks in Tampa.

walkoffdickshot.gif is kinda hard to beat though.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Laderhan posted:

yankeesfan.gif pretty much beats loving all. like no matter how many gifs i post my page, nothing is ever going to beat that single gif.

it also sucks that like half the gifs don't work.

At least most of you have gifable teams. Fairly sure the Padres are the least gifable team in MLB.

At least Morinco kept the creepy Vitale head I put on there. :unsmith:

e: goddammnit, the Dodgers forgot the most important gif of all.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 24, 2014

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

JosefStalinator posted:

I have Bonds' Elbow Guard, so....

But no Crazy Crab...

...until now.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

mentholmoose posted:

I was thinking about Joyce myself, but his massive platoon splits kind of ruin him for me.

KC, fix your pick since Altuve was taken also.

I know he's next to useless against LHP, but with Longo, Craig, and Lucroy all being right-handed bats, I think I'll be fine.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

IcePhoenix posted:

There are some punto's that I was not expecting to still be on the board here why do you jerks have to make my decisions hard?

Well it's been over 3 hours since I picked, so you're up!

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Mornacale posted:

Only if you play with scrub-level settings. :smugdog:

Also I keep reading this thread title as "Major League Bugaboo", well, thansk for reading

Glad I'm not the only one.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

I considered Everth, but holy gently caress he can't get on base to save his life.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

tatankatonk posted:

I think it's more fun to see who can build the best team on paper, because OOTP is the same game that occasionally turns Jonathan Schoop into a superelite second baseman for no reason

Well, every so often a normally replacement level player has a career year. Remember when Nick Punto* had an OPS over .800? It's like that.

* Real for serious actual Nick Punto.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 28, 2014

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Anyway, since I'm no longer phoneposting, I'd like to say that I'm quite pleased Parra made it to me. There weren't a whole lot of good options left in CF without making a major sacrifice in either offence or defence. Considering Parra's an elite defender with a league average bat, I really can't complain too much. I know his season this year has been pretty bad, but he's won the gold glove 2 of the last 3 years and is the reigning NL DPOTY. The talent's there. Plus I don't have to worry about a repeat of this from my OOTP game happening:

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 29, 2014

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the teams that haven't drafted any pitchers yet fare.

I thought you were joking but :stare:

I'm suddenly feeling much better about my rotation.

Sexual Lorax posted:

24 more Chris Doziers, coming right up.

Sign #1 you've reached on someone: You can't remember their actual name.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

tadashi posted:

Cool.

The Cubs would like to shop
3B Pablo Sandoval - Kind of not having the best year but FG estimates he has been the 7th most valuable 3rd baseman in baseball from 2011 to now.
3B/2B Kyle Seager - Can play either position competently. He's got pretty good pop for a 2nd baseman. He has a top 15 bat at 3rd starting with 2012 (his first full season) and top 10 for 2nd basemen.
3B Brett Lawrie - Great defender at 3rd with some power. His HR/FB rate is solid this year even though his other numbers aren't great

I value those players in that order.

I think the areas I'd like to trade one of these guys for an outfielder. I like some defense but they don't have to be Jason Heyward-caliber defender if it's a corner guy.

If Joyce or Parra interest you, I have some interest in Seager.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Politicalrancor posted:

what are the park factors like in Cincinnati?

Dingers.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Everyone stop drafting my Puntos. :argh:

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

I know I probably reached on Roberts, but the way I see it is he's pretty much the last 2B available that isn't a total liability at the plate.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Sexual Lorax posted:

I'll have you chuckleheads know that I got to see Brian "Chris" Dozier play live last night, and dude was ON, much to the detriment of my beloved Crew. Here's hoping Ootpee matches reality.

How good was he? So good that a Brewers fan fell about 20 feet into the Brewers bullpen.

He also signed my ticket stub after the game.

I honestly don't think Dozier is a bad 2B. In fact he's been one of the best defensive 2B in the AL over the past year, and he gets on base a ton. Fifth round was maybe a bit early on him, but I was honestly looking at nabbing him at the end of the 6th or early 7th.

I must be weird in that the later rounds are more interesting to me than the early ones. Half of the fun is learning about a bunch of players I hadn't heard of, and the other is the game of chicken we all play to see just how long we can hold off on nabbing that sleeper.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 5, 2014

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

TheFlyingLlama posted:

I don't mind explaining it. I think it's fun to try and make the best team, and I'm just saying why I think prospects are worth taking. I'm not trying to justify myself or anything, I just like talking out strategy.

Also if Carlos Rodon is actually draftable, I'm taking him, terrible pick or not.

Pretty sure IcePhoenix already said this years draft pool isn't eligible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

tadashi posted:

Are the Cubs up at 1 pm Eastern? I'm not trying to rush Baltimore I'm just trying to figure out when my window starts/ends.

Well it's been over three hours, so looks like you're up.

• Locked thread