Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

BigHead posted:

Just the other night I spent an hour showing constellations to my eighty year old father in law, who spent his entire life in dense cities and just never saw stars.

Orion is the best, but the two dippers are also the best. The rest are kinda bullshit.

Orion is the best because it's easy to find, actually looks like something, contains stars that are themselves interesting, and forms a guide to find other constellations.

Like, follow a line through the belt down and to the left and you'll be at Sirius, the nose of canis major. Do the same with the shoulders/hands and you find Gemini. Between the two is canis minor, which is complete bullshit: it's literally just two stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Milo and POTUS posted:

Which way did the sun set? Ok, to the right of that

Truly all those people over the centuries who used stars to navigate were just morons.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I clicked through to the article, hoping for an accessible explanation, but realizing it's probably down to weird physics bullshit I'm not equipped to understand:

quote:

The intrigue astir achromatic holes is thing that fascinates each abstraction enthusiast. The physics down it has troubled scientists for decades. These mysterious abstraction elements are known arsenic almighty cosmic engines due to the fact that they supply the vigor for quasars and progressive galactic nuclei. We whitethorn beryllium discussing the magnetic tract of achromatic holes, but achromatic holes don't person a magnetic tract of their own.

Well that clears everything up.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Dienes posted:

This is how bald eagles flirt, btw.

I thought it was how heagles fight over sheagles

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

They do different things with different images. Some map infrared to the visible spectrum directly, I believe. Eg, near IR becomes purple, far IR becomes red, everything else is in between. Others use spectroscopy data to highlight sections, like what you described. It depends on what they're studying.

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 13:54 on Jul 22, 2022

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

It's called spronking. Pretty much the whole deer family does it as a way to signal being super healthy and probably the wrong individual for predators to chase.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

seaborgium posted:

I've seen conversion kits for these, they can go on pretty much any car and they're not super expensive. The muscle car probably cost more than the treads.

The tank car in the movie used a Ripsaw, which goes for six figures.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

They would sometimes hang you until you passed out, lower you down and then either hoist you back up when you regain consciousness, or do other fun things. Thus "hanged, drawn, and quartered."

Unlike the post above, I'm not joking. This is before the invention of the kind of gallows that snaps your neck. Quick death is not the goal of hanging.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

HAmbONE posted:

The tale of the short-faced bear. Lost his penis and went extinct. Stronger than four hipsters. Quite succinct

I think that one's a girl bear

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

What makes them hipsters? Is it just that they're not wearing jorts?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

EoinCannon posted:

In the 80s they used the iconography in the same way that motorcycle gangs did. They could be Nazis for real though, dunno.

This, mostly. They're one of the biggest thrash bands of all time. Basically anyone who's at all into extreme metal has an album or two laying around, so it's not like anyone in a Slayer shirt is fash.

But it's worth noting a lot of motorcycle gangs have historically been varying degrees of Nazi.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Zopotantor posted:

The turretless tank wrecks spread all over Ukraine surely must have some use. Waste not, want not.

That one's a Sherman, but now that you've said that I desperately hope we see some goofy T-72 hotrods

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The wealthier Chasseurs, or mounted officers, in Napoleons armies often used leopard skin for the chabraque saddle cover on their horses.

Pimps of the battlefield.

"Look at my horse's balls."

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

That's just what happens when cranium rats become druids

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Atticus_1354 posted:

It's sad when animals suffer, like when starving to death while tangled in the rack of another deer. Hunting doesn't mean you enjoy suffering.

The intended implication he seems to have inferred is "it's sad because the hunter didn't get to kill the other"

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 16:41 on Feb 22, 2023

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The pepper is somehow ominous

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

mind the walrus posted:

Mister Speaker is right though-- being available in churches definitely played a huge element in it. People get comfy learning on it and hearing it, and then learn how to push the limits.

Also rock and roll started as a conscious blending of blues and gospel. Including a church organ is kind of natural.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

If you're gonna commission a custom hurdy gurdy, it's just got to have a dragon on it somewhere.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

They really do look like weird--rear end goblins when they stand like that. They're uglorable. Endearingly scrotal.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'm not 100% sure but I think it's designed to be ship mounted to be able to intercept incoming missiles.

I strongly suspect this is an old quad M2 mount meant for AA that's been repurposed. Four fifties is terrifying. Four miniguns is loving comical :stonklol:

Phalanx has one gun per, uh, pod. But I don't know about other countries/setups.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Roblo posted:

I think this is just chuds dicking about. Yes people can buy miniguns of course they can what kind of fool would suggest that you shouldn't be able to.

Honestly it's less problematic than being able to buy semi auto rifles. What's a civilian with a minigun gonna do, rob a bank? Pull it out to end an argument?

I mean, it could probably do both of those things. But somehow it hasn't come up, unless you believe that report of a cartel in Mexico mounting one in a panel fan and using it for a drive-by.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

OwlFancier posted:

If you buy a hand crank gatling gun, I think that doesn't technically count as a machine gun under US law because it's not firing multiple rounds per trigger pull. I don't know if that extends to electrically driven versions of the same mechanism.

Miniguns are legally machine guns, but you can legally own machine guns. There are just extra legal hoops to jump through, which drive the price up.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Some real weak cat identification skills itt

Edit: Platystemon is correct

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I winced irl when the scorpions tail comes around and smacks the mouse

The mouse is resistant to the venom. That kind of mouse, not just that specific mouse.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

freeedr posted:

I have also never been envenomated by a mouse

The only venomous mammals are the platypus and some random shrew. One of those is kind of like a mouse.

Edit: should have refreshed...

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Zopotantor posted:

Tutankhamun's tomb contained nearly 200 walking sticks. Guy must have really liked sticks.

He was seriously disabled and likely used the sticks daily. The collection was meant to serve him in the afterlife.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Suleman posted:

AFAIK, rams and goats have exceptional knockout power for their size because they can rear up and/or charge explosively before headbutting (I've seen a ram knock out a cow), but they don't have the mass or leverage to beat a grownass deer in a pushing match (which is what reindeer fights often are).

For content:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk1fUzkqwbQ

That doesn't look like a reindeer.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Lazy_Liberal posted:

it's a yanmar

???

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

thatbastardken posted:

i think the ram figured out the does were not his ewes and was trying to back out gracefully but failed

Any port in a storm, bro

Edit: reminds me of an old-rear end video of a dachshund that got loose in the zoo and ended up in the lion enclosure, where he was trying to hump the indifferent, snoozing lionesses. All the comments were "you go little guy" and "shoot for the mooooooon."

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 14:00 on Jan 12, 2024

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Inceltown posted:

lmao if you think that is a factor at all and not that someone can bill more for a shiny toy.

It's absolutely a factor: pilots cost money to train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Rasmus posted:

It really, really, really, sucks.

I felt like I was watching "Simple Jack", the joke movie in "Tropic Thunder".

It has a >8 average rating on IMDB. My assumption is its chief flaw is reflecting Gibson's politics.