Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is a rendering, in case anyone was wondering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I misremembered. It is actually a sculpture.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It’s a shame the ground clearance is so low.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Solice Kirsk posted:

:stonk:

Someone paint snake skin on this thing ASAP!

edit:
Well I'll be goddamned. I knew that plane was too cool to not have some basis in reality.

It’s an interesting plane.

It is unstable in flight by design. Most aircraft default to flying straight and level and want to stay that way. The X‐29 is different. When it starts to pitch down the tiniest bit, it wants to continue and accelerate that pitch.

So how does it not crash into the ground at the drop of a hat? Computers (triply redundant) correct for any deviation before it gets out of hand. That is, unless the pilot is commanding it to go that direction. Then the computers will let the pitch accelerate. This makes the plane extremely manœuverable, which is a great feature for a military æroplane to have.

fakeedit: Or at leat that was the theory. Apparently it didn’t quite live up to promises.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

What kind of idiot uses kilograms as a unit of force?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jedit posted:

You're going to have to explain what is badass about a heavily edited video of a demented moron breathing.

He’s an rear end and he is bad.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dienes posted:

You're one of those people that says "Why can black dudes say the N-word but not me?" aren't you?

Context, dear.

Wow. Comparing black people to animals.

That’s a new one.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What a nightmare for that gelding.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT-9Xpy6KXY

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dick Trauma posted:

Better keep moving when the 'peckers are around...

https://twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1136337927250894848

Some say this is how the Pyramids were built

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Imagine if chimpanzees worked out.

The benchpress world record has nearly double since 1898.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

By popular demand posted:

COMING THIS SATURDAY!

SKINNY PETE, MASTER OF THE BO STAFF

MEGALIZAAAAARD!!!!!!!

The cage match everyone's waiting for! Only on PAY-PER-VIEW!

I’ve seen this one and it doesn’t end well for the Red Viper of Dorne.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The synchronisation between the thunder and visible lightning is another clue.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dick Trauma posted:

The last thing that buffet town needs is another fat boy.

That’s Little Boy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Aren’t cheetahs buddied with dogs because they are anxious in captivity?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is a good-rear end picture.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I had to look that one up.

It’s a joke about the 2003 Station nightclub fire.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Beachcomber posted:

Must be a whale because we've been out of mammoths for a while now.

There is preserved mammoth meat being uncovered in the arctic right now.

Polar bears might already be snacking on it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

How is that animal still alive? :stare:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://giant.gfycat.com/WhichMeagerBluejay.mp4

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Elfface posted:

On a long-enough timeline, all Asian bands have a song about Genghis, and 5% of them directly about.

This guy fucks.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Ape of Naples posted:

All the teams in front of them are just bored and sick of it and thinking about something else until the show is over. Just like the national anthem before a baseball game or Trump lapping on Daytona.

All the people in this thread are just bored and sick of your posting.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Even if I didn’t like the haka, I wouldn’t say much about it because it means something to other people.

I don’t make a habit of disparaging ceremonies like weddings, baptisms, and funerals.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

darkwasthenight posted:

In a later tweet he points out he's being loose with the term "ovens". They actually baked it using cast iron pots buried under hot embers. :hist101:

https://twitter.com/SeamusBlackley/status/1244515652699742210?s=20

Clay, not iron.

They couldn’t have worked iron if they had wanted to, and they certainly couldn’t have worked it into such a shape.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Wildcats are badass.

The only thing more badass is tussling with a cougar and choking her out, like that man in Colorado did.

(not an innuendo)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjGFu7o0zK0

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

cakesmith handyman posted:

Read the comments and have a healthy chuckle at the idiot hulking out about NASA deceiving everyone because this isn't a real video it's a collection of still images.

I now have the desire to make a Kickstarter for a

checks notes

three‐hundred‐thousand‐head, analogue tape machine so that each pixel can be recorded with indefinite temporal resolution.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phlegmish posted:

Get shrekt Leopold II

Auction off spots in line to hit it with a hammer.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

tribbledirigible posted:

Sounds like they may have lost some yeshiva boys to the parade.

“Looks like them Yeshiva Boys really got a pickle into themselves this time.”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Samovar posted:

He was later assaulted by six brothers during another speech for abolition. Again, Clay proved to be a man of action as well as words, seeing as he managed to A) survive 6:1 odds but also B) kill one of them as well.

Imagine the awkward conversations the five had with their family.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IW6mbFBcGc

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I like that the premise behind the marathon was “that escaped prisoner was a wimp. I’d run a hunnerd miles in his shoes.”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Lone Badger posted:

We keep forgetting to comment out the 'is a dinosaur' flag.

We never learn that commenting out self‐modifying code is a bad idea.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
No one thinks that geese are unstoppable murder machines.

What they are is extremely territorial and common in many urban environments.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s come up in the space thread.

It’s a composite.

quote:

I commissioned and co-designed the painting by Don Connolly of Concorde 001 at the 1973 eclipse.

The photo shown is real -- and it is also a fake!

The original picture is indeed by Arthur Gibson and appears on the front cover of "Concorde: New Shape in the Sky" by Kenneth Owen, Jane's, 1982. The original has the small "sun glint", and it is the real Sun.

It must have been tricky to take a picture at that moment, but Gibson took hundreds of Concorde photos, so he got lucky!

The picture does not have the large "eclipsed Sun/Moon". That was added!

Also, as pointed out above, the plane is almost certainly not Concorde 001 but is the British prototype.

The plane image also appears to have been doctored to erase some distinct markings the British prototype has on its fuselage.

Another clue: the eclipsed Sun was overhead, so to get a picture of Concorde, with the Sun also in the picture you must have a "bottom view" of Concorde!

We allowed in our painting a very small tilt, to make Concorde look better. So our painting is not 100% accurate! :-)

In the Gibson fake photo, the huge tilt of Concorde means that the overhead eclipsed Sun cannot be behind Concorde.

Again, Concorde was flying level during the eclipse, with the Sun overhead, but the camera that took the picture is obviously not looking overhead, unless the picture was taken of a Concorde banking.

The doctored Gibson picture is fake!

Bob Morris

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 06:27 on Jan 1, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/dril/status/1035218616403128320

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1356317309292470272

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

JEEVES420 posted:

From what I understand the light pollution caused by starlink is from the initial deployment of the satellites and not them floating around up there.

It’s them floating around, it’s just that they’re significantly closer to the surface of the Earth at deployment than at operational orbit. They’re problematic throughout their lives but especially bad in their first weeks.

Unfortunately, with such a large constellation and low service life, we can expect that at any given time, there will always be newly launched, extra-bright satellites up there to replace one set or another.

Beachcomber posted:

We went to Death Valley looking for that kind of experience. Guess we should have gone farther.

Altitude is good. The less air and dust between you and the stars, the better. Death Valley is pretty bad. Many nearby mountains are very good.

As a footnote, the historic observatories of Southern California are situated on mountains that frequently experience temperature inversions, where air is warmer on the mountaintops than in the valleys below. This is good for astronomy because it tends to result in calm air. These same temperature inversions trap smog over the cities nowadays.

Temperature inversions are of interest when using telescopes. For looking at the sky with the naked eye, turbulent air doesn’t much matter.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cocaine Bear posted:

E: nm, not the place to talk about war and genocide, two things that are the opposite of bad rear end.

E2- here's a dog wearing a bad rear end coat to protect it from birds of prey:

Pictured: a bird of prey