Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Say Nothing posted:

How the hell do you steer that thing?

Directly through every obstacle in your way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wasn't a common belief back then that covering you mouth and eyes and not exposing skin was enough to stop radiation? Not by scientists obviously, but by regular people?

It killed you slowly rather than quickly so there was a time where people basically didn't understand all the specifics of radiation poisoning. Marie Curie, for example, kept samples of glowing material on her desk because she thought they looked cool. She died of radiation-related illness long, long after. There are still people today dying of stuff related to long-term exposure to radiation or materials that turned out to be carcinogenic because, 60 years ago, people just flat out didn't know better.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

lenoon posted:

Nuclear war is a terrible terrible thing.

Which is basically the reason it's pretty unlikely to happen, even though the world came close a few times. One simple fact of war is that you fight because you think you can win. Nobody starts a war they think they're going to lose or fights one they know they can't gain anything from. If a nuclear war happens everybody loses. To be honest I think that's a major reason why WWIII hasn't happened and why stuff has been a lot more calm overall since WWII. People are looking at the aftermath of the bomb dropping and thinking "you know, we have tens of thousands of these in the world...we should probably not kick of global conflicts anymore." Far as I can tell nobody even has their fingers on the buttons anymore.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Istari posted:

Wow. I wonder if her parents are proud.

She found a steady gig that pays well. I'd be.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Is this brutalist? Chicago's 17th Church of Christ, Scientist.

If it's a simple shape with minimal adornment made of gigantic blocks of concrete it's brutalist.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

moosecow333 posted:

This looks like something straight out of My Tank Is Fight!

How someone looked at this design, and didn't immediately throw it in the trash, I will never know.

Tanks were very new at that point so nobody really knew much better. Plus experimental anything always has a lot of experimenting and at the time there weren't fancy things like desktop computers to run simulations. Aside from that the last major arms race was "who can build the most really loving enormous battleships" in the form of dreadnoughts, where everybody was trying to make the most absurdly huge boats they could with as many goddamned guns as they could fit on it. Hence names like "land battleship." They were applying naval thought to it and, at the time, "bigger, heavier things with more guns = always better." Aside from that ship-mounted guns were the biggest, best thing available so there was a major initiative to get them on land. Rail guns (no, not the magnetic ones - these were huge rear end guns that were mounted on rail cars and run around on rail roads) were a huge deal but had trouble in that if you hosed up the railroad the gun became useless. Consider that rail lines were always something that was heavily targeted in that railroads were obscenely important and you can see how that was an issue. Howitzers and huge, immobile artillery were also A Thing at that point but fixed artillery that you couldn't take anywhere wasn't as useful as in WW1 when no army could push very far or take ground quickly. In WW2 poo poo was different, largely thanks to tanks. So, of course, you had engineers trying to cram all these things onto tanks because, well, a tread vehicle can go basically anywhere with relative impunity as far as land went. Didn't need to gently caress around with oceans, you could take them very far inland, and if the roads and rails were blasted into crates then you just drove right over the loving crater and blasted some poo poo. Only when the prototypes came out and failed horribly did anybody realize it was a terrible idea. It also turned out that having the best tanks wasn't the important part but rather having a gently caress ton of them was. One that comes to mind is the Sherman tank; the U.S. liked the design and produced tens of thousands of the drat things and threw them everywhere. Even so, during early WW2 tanks were relatively small but as the war went on they just kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger. Makes sense that "stupidly huge tank that turned out to be useless" got at least to the prototype stage.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Literally everything related to World's Strongest Man competitions are insanely badass.

Here is a man wearing a car. And actually moving. They RUN with those.

Just pulling a boat and a truck no big deal.

Oh, anchors are supposed to hold things in place? That's cute.

For those of you that haven't watched one of these competitions before you probably should at least once. It's bonkers what these dudes can pull off.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

GWBBQ posted:

Years ago, my godfather gave me a pair of US civil war bullets that had collided, apparently they're fairly common.

Depends on how you define "common" exactly but yeah if you put enough poo poo in the air and have it fly around pieces of it are guaranteed to smack into each other at some point. That's especially true of Civil War-era tactics when you had bunches of dudes standing in lines firing at each other.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Nordick posted:

I've seen her predecessor, the RMS Queen Elizabeth 2, in person and that one was loving colossal enough. You can see it here, with some nearby buildings for scale. I took the picture from top of a cliff a mile or so away:

The Queen Mary 2 is considerably bigger.

The most badass thing in that picture is the pair of tug boats just moving that colossus around like it ain't no thang.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

VanSandman posted:

I see why people used to worship volcanoes as god when I see pictures like this.

Interesting thing is that scientists have a theory that life started because of lightning and volcanoes. Exactly like that! Apparently they created those conditions in a lab and the right chemicals that make up earth life formed sometimes.

So if we're going to worship anything as a creator volcanoes are a good bet.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

True, but six chances to dramatically slam your gun down because you're a loose cannon gives you a good probability of getting one perfect slam.

So what you're saying is that there should be more than six guns in various sizes so that you can have an optimal gun slam at any given time.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Snowy posted:

I’m surprised he’s even alive for a juiced up dude of his era.

In those days the amount of...ah, let's just say...chemical enhancement of body builders just didn't exist. If they used steroids they didn't use much.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Memento posted:

Sorry are you saying that Arnold Schwarzenegger was a clean athlete? This was not the case, very emphatically.

No, I'm not saying he was clean I'm saying that the steroid use you see today is a whole other level that wasn't even considered those days.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ultrafilter posted:

They're going to drop dead of heart attacks in their forties, or earlier.

Yup. Not only are they filling themselves with steroids they're filling themselves with any insane chemical that looks like it might possibly maybe have some benefit sometimes. And synthol. Holy gently caress the synthol.

From what I've heard decades ago basically everybody used steroids in body building but the doses were pretty low. Nobody was injecting it directly into specific muscles or taking "will literally kill you before 40" amounts. It was low oral doses. But of course there were those that just had to be bigger so they upped their doses. Then other drugs started slithering their way in. Several decades of "well, just 5% more this year...that's it, just 5%" led to...well some of the madness we see today.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Taeke posted:

I can tell you from experience that flying loving sucks when you're that tall, and I'm a skinny motherfucker. Even short 2 hour flights would ruin my back/legs.

At six feet I'm not exceptionally tall but even that height makes flying loving awful. I can't imagine how much worse it would suck to be taller.

Whenever I have to buy a new car the absolute first thing I do is sit in it. Most cars can't comfortably fit my legs even if I put the seat the whole way back. I saw a picture if Shaw trying to get in a car and was like "wow, I got nothing on how much my size sucks compared to that."

The car I own right now is the only thing I've ever driven that I don't have to shove the seat the whole way back on and I'm not even a big dude.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

RCarr posted:

Flying in the face of everything we knew about buying a car.

If the car isnt comfortable I don't give a poo poo about anything else and most cars don't fit me. Better to just get that out of the way.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

RCarr posted:

I’m making fun of the fact that he said the first thing he does when looking at a new car is to sit in it. As if that’s not the first thing every other human who has ever bought a car did.

It isn't among a lot of people I know. I was taught to do stuff like look at the engine first.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
It's almost as if famous people are people and people are weird, complicated, imperfect things.

Who knew?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

krinklechip posted:

He was doing an album a week for awhile, and they were all distinctive from what I understand. He was going so fast that if you ordered a given week's project, it would be on a burned CD with the title written in sharpie on the top. No time to go through a label; what label could keep up?

He's also on Amazon Music, too.

Some of those were actually extremely limited edition runs where the only release was basically hand made. I think a proper manufactured run happened later for most or all of them but a fair number of them he'd record the album, burn the CDs, draw the album art by hand, then sign and number them. I think a few hundred of those ever got actually made. It's something special, really.

Why did he do it? Because he's loving Buckethead.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I always thought that the best part of Bo Jackson was that once he had his career-ending injury he just shrugged and got on with his life. Didn't get depressed and develop an addiction, didn't try to reclaim lost glory days, didn't go crazy or try to cling to fame. He just went "welp, guess I'm not a top athlete anymore." From what I read he didn't spend his sports money stupidly like a lot of athletes do and now spends a lot of his time fishing. He just finished his degree and found other stuff to do.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Re: space being huge.

So how fast is light? Pretty damned fast, isn't it? Like so loving fast you can't ever see it moving under normal circumstances. It's fast enough that you can treat it like it's instantaneous for pretty much everything that happens day to day. It isn't but it might as well be it's so freaking fast.

Despite that it takes 8 god damned minutes and 20 loving seconds for it to get here from the Sun. That's right. Over eight minutes. If the Sun blew up for some reason it would take over eight minutes for that information to get here. If you had something that could travel the speed of light it would still take over four hours to get to Pluto.

The star that's closest to ours is over four light years away. If the Sun blew up it would be over four years before anybody over at Alpha Centauri saw it.

When you look up at the sky at night you are effectively looking back in time.

Check this poo poo out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GN-z11

Farthest known object so far, as far as we can tell. Billions of light years away. Billions. When you look at the pictures of this thing what you're seeing is whatever the hell was there billions of years ago. I'm going to repeat that. Billions. With a b. Whatever is there now probably isn't this thing. It's probably a galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The police barely get involved in anything in that movie. Pretty much every character is a criminal of some sort. The law would have to be around in the first place to get defeated.