Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Yeah, there's definitely a lot of it that DS1 was my introduction, so obviously nothing after is gonna have the impact of Capra or O&S just cause I'm used to the Dark Souls vibe now.

The interconnected thing is still cool though just because DS1's freedom is in how powerful you can get super early once you know what you're doing. Soul Level 1 Power Within+Red Tearstone Ring as soon as you arrive, a +15 weapon with 1 boss killed, Wrath of the Gods with 2. If you want Wrath of the Gods in Dark Souls 2, you can get hosed because it doesn't exist until NG+2 or 150 loving victories in the pvp covenant.

DS1 and 2 are basically equal for me though, they have different highs that are balanced by different lows. DS3's the worst one so far because I really don't like the "lol we just cranked up the enemies' speed lol" type of difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The actual worst part of any Souls game is the tree jump at the start of DS3. The risk is nothing, the reward is huge, but it's so drat fiddly that rather than playing the game you just do barrel rolls by a tree for thirty minutes trying to get the angle right.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

God of War is an all-time great series for sure, but it ended in 2010, you can't keep riding that credit forever.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I can't correct for my biases enough to objectively rate the God of War series, because it is a perfect incarnation of the themes and vibes of Greek mythology (not the facts, the themes), and I get that if that doesn't click with you or you don't care then it's just another action game.

Dad of Boy is overstuffed garbage that flips between maudlin HELLO NEW FATHERS IN AUDIENCE, CONNECT WITH THIS and bizarre plot twists to bring in elements from the mythology mangled to make Loki the hero. And then the combat sucks on top of that.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The performances are really strong, but they're covering up that the story is either generic Dad Story, torturously drawn-out restating like an anime desperately filling screentime, or just absolutely cracked.

Kratos never has a reason to go to war with Asgard. He's not forced along by curses or fate or personal vendettas, he doesn't like anybody that Asgard's been at war with enough to fight for them and they don't like him except as a weapon they can use. Boy doesn't have any reason to either, except that he's gotten obsessed with what a bunch of people he's never met and knows nothing about would want him to do. And then the whole game frames it like a "father must learn to support young adult son's goals in life even if they're not what he wants" but those goals are to destroy a whole country and kill everybody who lives there. We talk a guy into killing himself for no reason, which gets another ally killed pointlessly, and the game just kinda..ignores it, because Boy needs to pursue his dreams. Of genocide.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

The Norns even make fun of Kratos' journey in Ragnarok when Freya tries to defend his killing of her son as not out of anger, and they're just like "Should I give him a crown then? He still kills Gods, but now he's sad about it?" which is generally a really fun scene.

Having the Norns read from the game script, including stage directions was inspired. There are a lot of nice little touches like that, they just get buried under the story straining to make Ares and Loki the Good Gods of their respective pantheons.

Sally posted:

i have no idea! i have never played the game! it's called "Ragnarok", i am assuming all they bigname members of the pantheon dont make it out alive... no?

The only god Kratos kills in Ragnarok is Heimdall. Thor is killed by Odin after he and Kratos talk out their differences, and Odin is killed by one of the comic relief dwarves from the first game after Loki traps his soul in a charm.

Ragnarok itself is a single limp stage where you run down a few corridors cinematically, fight Thor in a copy of the first time you fight him, fight Odin, then watch cutscenes where Surtur (your ally) kills Freyr (your ally) and nukes Asgard after the war is already over. There's not even any disasters going on, Thor dies without a clap of thunder.

Byzantine has a new favorite as of 19:07 on Jan 7, 2024

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Arrath posted:

My only question is can I, the original Me, sign some form to create a half dozen clone me's and consign them to a career of backbreaking labor that I may benefit from?

goddammit, no more games about fatherhood, i beg you

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Lara croft is an animal genociding,thieving tory as well as mass murderer of native people.

Yes, we know she's British.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

credburn posted:

Are pants only cosmetic in Cyberpunk? I get rid of any clothes that don't give a bonus, and I'm 35 hours in and so far all I have is upper body stuff, and I'm just running around town with my dick flopping around everywhere.

What are you doing in the game, though?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Yeah, I'm torn on it because it is really annoying when you go left instead of right at an area you didn't even realize was a fork and miss the absolutely vital and perfect item that is the cornerstone of your build.

But then you play a non-fromsoft modern game and BEHIND YOU BEHIND YOU HMM I BET I COULD CLIMB UP THERE TO PULL THAT LEVER BEHIND YOU LOOK OUT LET'S CHECK THIS ROOM FOR SUPPLIES HEY WHAT'S THAT BEHIND YOU HEY LISTEN BEHIND YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Yeah this is one of the dumbest things about Fallout overall. Why is there still trash and skeletons everywhere. 200 years after an apocalypse isn't really a post-apocalyptic situation any more. It's a regular situation.

well then it's not a fallout game, is it

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Honestly by this point I believe that if Bethesda had made New Vegas instead of 3 people would bitch about it for violating the series' continuity so Bethesda could revive a faction canonically dead to spawn a loving Elder Scrolls Imperial knockoff with Caesar's Legion. Plus you can go to Las Vegas in Fallout 1 and it's a bombed out ruin, certainly not spared from the nukes by not-Tony Stark, Bethesda, quit loving up. They even hosed up Interplay's story by having the Brotherhood go to war with the NCR for some reason so they could turn the BoS into another Vault grr grr robble robble

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Arrath posted:

They're tired of "Bethesda bad" kneejerk and postulate what a critical analysis of FNV/Obsidian's changes to the mythos would look like through that lens, I guess.

Yeah, basically. There's a lot of dumb stuff in Bethesda's Fallouts, sure, but "Bethesda bad" has hit the point where people will outright lie about things that happen in Bethout, and then other people who readily admit they didn't play/don't remember the games will nod along then go off and repeat it because obviously it's true, Bethesda Bad. Even when stuff is explicitly spelled out, it gets ignored, or doesn't matter, or Obsidian's version takes precedence even though the NCR-Brotherhood War is just as much of sequel invention as Scouring the Pitt, or or, etc.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

There's a floor map in the house in Majula where candles light up when you beat bosses and it shows an entire country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I don't think a nuclear war would change the color of the sky.