Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gort posted:

Yeah, agreed. There were other things like how the levels were tiny boxes due to console memory limitations which the original Deus Ex didn't have to worry about, and the universal ammo system which meant that firing your rocket launcher ate all your pistol ammo.
Universal ammo was great. No more finding a million different ammo types that you can't use while running out of the ones you need because now every ammo pickup is the right kind. It was an excellent change and they should have stuck with it.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Invisible War stands as one of those games that will never be vindicated since looking back it's still boring and broken. Human Revolution, despite it's laundry-list of niggles like the crummy ending and the XP system that only heavily favour stealth, stands up as a worthy game that doesnt leave PC or console out in the cold.
Invisible War, aside from the frequent loading screens, is a far better game than Human Revolution. HR is a game that constantly encourages you to do boring, pointless busy-work (like hacking every computer you find to make sure you get all the xp you need to unlock the fun abilities) and makes the coolest options the least practical (like all the big guns that, along with their ammo, take up way too much space to actually be usable, or the grenades that are so rare that you'll always feel like using one is a waste). HR is fun and I have finished it twice, but IW is way better.

Testekill posted:

Yup, a game like Pathologic or Deadly Premonition are experiences and everyone should check them out but they're both not fun to play.

Something like one of the Dynasty Warriors games are not even good by any way of looking at it but they're fun, dumb games that give you that dopamine rush. Something being good doesn't automatically make it fun while something being bad or average can still be fun or enjoyable just because it hits you in the right way.

I can without a doubt say that GTAV is a well designed game that had a lot of effort put into making it but the story is a miserable experience and I found the game world to be empty and not fun to play about in which is a massive loving failure of an open-world game. It's a better designed game than Sleeping Dogs for example but Sleeping Dogs is a far more enjoyable and entertaining game in the same genre.
OK, your first paragraph makes some sense since it's possible for a game, like any piece of media, to be good for reasons other than being fun. But totally excluding fun from any measure of whether a game is good or not is utterly insane. A fun game is a good game because that's what it's trying to be and what people want from it. And your last point, that somehow "a massive loving failure of an open-world game" that's "a miserable experience" and "not fun to play" is somehow better-designed than "a far more enjoyable and entertaining game in the same genre" is just complete nonsense. Literal nonsense. What you're saying doesn't make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Zoig posted:

I think the problem people have is that they cannot accept that a game they like is bad and that it doesn't invalidate them liking it. For example Hellpoint is a janky, buggy, messy game of a soulslike, but because the exploration is suprisingly well put together I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. Or hey, i recently went back to try playing and finishing hover and its not a great game but the movement has been fun enough that i don't mind.

Just like what you like and be aware of its flaws.
If something is flawed but has enough positive qualities to outweigh those flaws then it's good. You can acknowledge the flaws without saying "actually it's bad and I'm wrong to like it" as you seem to be.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Walton Simons posted:

The biggest hurdle for me to clear was realising that there's no need to be tweaking and optimising all the time and just remaining alive and having kids is a small victory. Also the game is more fun when you're horrible at it.
I didn't notice which thread I was opening and first read this as general life advice. Kind of works.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Re: people not finishing games

I'm pretty sure the number one reason is that games are way too loving long. There are very few games that are still fun ten hours in. And if you get bored and put it aside for a while, if you try to come back to it you'll probably find you've forgotten how to play so you need to start again to relearn how to play.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

Why do middle-aged and older people use ellipses all the time ... and also improperly ....

What are they trying to convey? That they are trailing off? Or maybe that their message is ominous .....

This isn't a gripe, I genuinely want to know the motivation behind it.

The closes I've ever heard to an actual, evidence-based explanation is from Gretchen McCulloch's book Because Internet:

Chapter 3 posted:

Many [Pre Internet People] use hyphens or strings of periods or commas to separate one thought from the next (“i just had to beat 2 danish guys at ping poong.....& ..they were good....glad i havent lost my chops” or “thank you all for the birthday wishes - great to hear from so many old friends - hope you all are doing well -- had a lovely dinner” or “Happy Anniversary,,,Wishing you many more years of happiness together,,,,”).

We don’t have statistics about the exact prevalence, but the dash or ellipsis as generic separation character seems to be found throughout, at least, the English-speaking world. When I asked for more anecdotes on Twitter, someone commented, “So you’ve texted with my in-laws?” Why do all these people, who primarily went online to reach younger family members, still type more like each other than like their interlocutors? Our first clue comes from a senior that Jessamyn West videoed at one of her library drop-in tech sessions, sending his very first email. The man, Don, says to West behind the camera, “First time I ever typed a thing in my life.” Then he pauses and asks, “Something I use a lot of times, when I’m writing by longhand, is rather than normal punctuation, when I get to the end of a thought, I go ‘dot dot dot.’” He gestures to the computer: “Is that just period, period, period?” When West says it is, Don turns back to the keyboard and triumphantly types dot, dot, dot.

Don’s expression of triumph contrasted sharply with the bafflement that I heard from younger Internet People about separation characters, so I took the hint and went searching for more longhand. Where I ended up was postcards.

Chapter 4 posted:

But informal writing happens in near-real time: not only does this make it hard to go through multiple drafts, but you also need to express your emotions in writing while you’re still in the grip of them.

To start, we need to establish a baseline, a normal kind of communication from which any deviation has an emotional impact. In speech, our baseline is the utterance—a burst of language bounded by pauses or interruptions. Sometimes an utterance corresponds to a full sentence; sometimes it doesn’t. Most of the time an utterance is a string of words, but sometimes we even cut ourselves off in the middle of one (for examp—). Talking exclusively in complete sentences sounds stilted in all but the most formal of prepared speeches. (Sentence fragments! How useful!) We use utterances in casual writing as well. For people whose linguistic norms are oriented to the internet, the most neutral way of indicating an utterance is with a new line or message break. Each text or chat message in a conversation automatically indicates a separate utterance. Here’s an example:
    hey

how’s it going

just wondered if you wanted to chat sometime this week

maybe tuesday?
This is efficient in a digital medium, where scrolling down is easy and unbounded: not a waste of pixels the way it might be a waste of paper. Linebreaks come for free: they don’t take up any more bytes than a period and a space, and they add a lot in readability. Both “new line” and “send message” take a single keystroke, often the same enter key, so the muscle memory is easy. Plus, it helps the conversation flow better if you hit “send” after every utterance rather than waiting and sending a whole essay: the reader can start thinking of a reply sooner. Even in more formal genres online, such as news articles, paragraphs have gotten shorter and are separated by a blank line rather than a space-saving indent as they are on paper.

For people whose linguistic norms are oriented towards the offline world, the most neutral way of separating one utterance from the next is with a dash or a string of dots. After all, you definitely wouldn’t want to send each of these phrases as a separate email, let alone as a separate text in the days when we were billed per message. You’d take up four times the space on a postcard if you started a new line every time! Here’s the same example in the punctuation style of the offline-oriented:
    hey...how’s it going.....just wondered if you wanted to chat sometime this week......maybe tuesday....?
This, too, has a logic to it: while some kinds of punctuation are traditionally reserved for joining full clauses (periods) and others for dependent clauses (commas), ellipses and dashes are deemed acceptable for joining both sorts, even in the most conservative styles. So if you’re writing informally and you don’t want to bother deciding whether your string of words is a full sentence or merely a clausal fragment, one way to split the difference is to punctuate ambiguously—to use an ellipsis or dash. Sure, classically speaking, the ellipsis indicates omitted text or a trailing off, but that’s fine: in speech we sometimes trail our sentences off for casual effect. And sure, classically speaking, the ellipsis gets three dots in the middle of a sentence and four dots at the end and gets a slightly different spacing from simply three periods, but that’s the kind of rule that copyeditors care about, not composers of casual emails who have no dedicated ellipsis character on their keyboards. Informal writers who are oriented towards offline norms, like the 1970s Beatles postcards we saw in the previous chapter, sprinkle in dots and dashes to show they’re not standing on ceremony by committing to formal, clause-typing punctuation. It’s exactly the same motivation younger folks have for separating utterances by linebreaks or message breaks. The same reason, in fact, that Jane Austen sprinkled her original manuscripts with what seems to the modern reader to be an absurdly high number of commas, or that Emily Dickinson’s poetry contains a metric ton of dashes, if you can get ahold of an edition where they haven’t been edited out. Pause marking is really intuitive, and it always has been.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ZeusCannon posted:

But then how will they mask load times
I've got no problem with cutscenes playing till the game's done loading. But why do so few games not let you skip once the loading has finished? I remember a game (I don't remember which) many years ago where pressing the space bar in a cutscene popped up a message telling you that it was still loading but would skip the rest of the cutscene as soon as it was done. And that's such an obvious and excellent bit of design. Why aren't they all doing that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

It would also be really nice if they explained what the gently caress all those graphics options mean and which ones are most likely to make the game actually run better.