Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I kind of love the FNaF fanbase because in spite of all odds they've managed to sexualize the blocky lurching robotic machinations of a lovely Christian animator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Screaming Idiot posted:

The Dubstep Gun is literally the greatest weapon in the history of video gaming. The BFG 9000 and Gravity Gun can loving eat me. :colbert: In fact, it's so good that it makes the game a cakewalk, and I have to force myself to use the other weapons in order to give the game a chance.

It is annoying that the game gives you a half-dozen rad weapons that all use the same inventory slot but then wastes half of your inventory on small arms that are not only no fun to use but are also copy-pasted from Saints Row 3 only with an extra novelty skin or two. The game's already unbalanced and easy, let me carry all the fun gimmick weapons!

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

But doesnt that basically show that 99% of gamers are idiots and wont even get past the tutorial section, which in turn causes devs to front-load all their content instead of making an interesting game all the way through to the end? It just seems to me that the best games aren't necessarily made with the lowest common denominator in mind. Devs need to put more trust in the gamers, trust that we will find your drat content!

No, because that is how games have been developed for literally the entire existence of the medium.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I wasn't exaggerating, one of the oldest stories in the history of videogame development is Nolan Bushnell releasing Computer Space, getting frustrated watching people in bars play it without even reading the instructions and then giving up when they couldn't understand it, and then responding by releasing Pong because it was more accessible to casual players.

If anything it's only recently that games broke away from being so front-loaded as a holdover of the coin-op days where you wanted an impressive first stage to draw people in and get them to keep feeding the machine quarters or the NES era when the inability to save or have reliable in-game documentation meant they had to design the beginning of the game to function as a diagetic tutorial and hold up to dozens of re-plays every time you started the game over.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

scarycave posted:

Bad UI's are a staple of the fallout series.

Yeah all the people complaining about Fallout 3's inventory and color palette must not remember Fallout 1 and 2 being 90% brown and grey roofs and having to scroll through dozens of items 6 at a time.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Professor Wayne posted:

I can honestly say I've never played a Zelda game and thought, "what practical purpose does this dungeon serve Hyrule's population?" That's like asking why goombas never evolved the ability to walk right. The best Zeldas are when it just embraces video game logic like that. That's why Link Between Worlds is the best Zelda since Wind Waker.

My latest little thing bringing Smash Bros down is Luigi's new final smash. His old one was weird and awesome. Using a vacuum cleaner is pretty lame by comparison.

In the PS2 era both ICO and Prince of Persia got a huge amount of praise for having worlds that were seamless and lived-in and felt like real architecture rather than a bunch of self-contained rooms full of puzzles and monsters.

If you personally don't give a poo poo that's fine but it is kind of a big deal and to this day almost every third-person action-adventure game aside from the Zelda games follows that philosophy.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

This only happens with the male gay characters too, they never have the female ones do this weird poo poo.

This is because the gay male romances are written by and for fat catladies who fetishize gay men. Remember that modern Bioware is staffed by literal fanfiction writers and all the awful romances and general quality of the writing in general makes a lot more sense.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
For the longest time I had no idea why people raved about the opening level in the village because I just stood still and headshot people until they got too close, ran to the other side of the village, shot people until they closed in on me, repeat until the bell rings and they all ran away. Going into a house or climbing a tower where you'd be trapped or blindsided didn't make any sense when you could just stay in an open area and shoot at people as they slowly shuffle towards you so I never encountered any of the cool scripted stuff that blew everybody else away.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Byzantine posted:

Yeah, I went around assassinating NCR officers with Legion throwing spears and never took a hit for it as long as I stayed out of sight.

The silenced pistol that gave you a huge bonus to crits was the best for this. Crouch behind a desk or chair, shoot a guy in the back of the head, make him explode in bloody chunks thanks to the insta-crit you get from a sneak attack, and nobody notices or cares even if the guy dies in front of them mid-conversation. I pretty much cleaned out the entire Vault 3 without raising the alarm by doing this and it was hilarious.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Kaubocks posted:

They had people playtest the game and it was pretty much unanimous that the game was too hard. Once you understand the mechanics at play the game becomes a complete cakewalk but for a lot of people the game is very difficult.

This seems to be a problem that games that rely heavily on unlocks are really susceptible to, where the beginning of the game is unnecessarily restricting and full of bullshit to give you more rewards to unlock and the end game is a cakewalk for anybody who does any optional content.

I've been playing Rogue Legacy and the fact that you get almost no invincibility after getting hit until you unlock an expensive late-stage upgrade is bullshit, doubly so when most enemies can hurt you just by touching you. In general the game's controls don't feel nearly tight enough for the kind of precision and difficulty the game demands.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

Aside from one, maybe two, instance the Wonderful 101 avoids most overt sexualization.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Even dark souls, the pinnacle of gaming, had a girl with huge tits. As a gamer and a human, I'm dissapointed in the state of games today.

Gwendolyn was an illusion, an evil gross monster man making a woman with huge tits to get gamers to do what they want them to do is p. funny.

Captain Lavender posted:

Well, yeah, but then she transitions into a boy-crazy, make-up and shopping loving, hot-tempered character who constantly flirts with Vorkken, and who flies into a rage whenever someone insults her looks.

Not that it's not an awesome game, and if I had a WiiU, I'd get it; but come on.

Don't forget that she's :airquote:18:airquote:, rounding out the trifecta of dumb things anime spergs get super defensive about.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Morpheus posted:

The writers just couldn't think of any reason for Marston to do this stuff except because he's forced to, and it really, really shows.

And they couldn't think of any reason to motivate every other character in the game other than "the gubmint is bad", it's almost funny how almost everything in the game winds up being blamed on the government.

The Moon Monster posted:

This probably isn't what bugs other people about the controls, but I have trouble controlling 2D platformers where the character is a big gangly cartoon. For example Mario is a rectangle and Sonic is a ball so their hitboxes are pretty easy to figure out. The characters in Rogue Legacy are too animated.

My real problem with that game is that it combined a bunch of roguelike features with a huge emphasis on grinding stats that persist between playthroughs. I feel like those two things just don't go that well together.

The enemies have really bad hitboxes in general, which combined with the fact that touching an enemy's hitbox means you usually get damaged means that you'll get a lot of deaths just from an enemy being near you even if you never touch them.

I feel like if they had had a rudimentary city/kingdom management game as an additional source of income it would have made the grind for upgrades a lot more tolerable. As is despite the huge focus on playing as your descendants is little more than set dressing for a random character generator and an upgrade tree.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Esroc posted:

Finally got around to playing Metal Gear Rising and there are way too many instances of "open door, listen to codec for several minutes, walk down empty hallway, open another door, listen to codec again."

Also, the Monsoon boss fight was total bullshit. Once I died enough to figure out his patterns I was able to clear it, but it took me forever and really killed the flow of the plot coming off that awesome "The Ripper Returns" scene right before. You see Raiden turn into a terrifying badass in the cutscene and then get his rear end handed to him in the actual fight until trial and error gets you through an hour later. Really killed the mood.

All that aside this is a loving amazing game.

You can use chaff grenades to gently caress with his electronics and skip a lot of the tedium of the fight, which I didn't figure out until I checked a guide even though the bits of rubble that you cut up drop them.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Esroc posted:

Eh, I'm kind of torn about the plot.

On the one hand it shows us the tech we saw developed and refined over the course of sixty years worth of plot culminate in its natural conclusion of a crazy as gently caress future where cyborgs, AI's, and giant mechs are almost passé. I really dig the world they've built with Rising and hope we one day get a traditional Metal Gear game set in it, even if it's a different protagonist.

But on the other hand Etsu Tamari's story is so cliché that I can't believe Kojima signed off on it. It removes just about everything that makes Metal Gear what it is and substitutes it for a run-of-the-mill "chase down the bad guy, save peoples" plot with little depth beyond Raiden questioning the real reason he became a crazy techno ninja with a super blender powers.

I did, however, appreciate that Raiden straight up cuts a little kids head clean off just to kill the guy standing behind him, and the next scene immediately after that is all "It's totally cool, we just plugged his noggin' into a robot. He's fine." Like it's totally not a big deal that the hero of the story just decapitated an eight year old.

The story is great because it's taking the piss out of Metal Gear Solid by being so openly stupid. Usually the MGS games are a mishmash of goofy and self-serious, full of soliloquies about war and technology and all the enemies and heroes alike having tragic backstories that they constantly agonize over but also poop and boner jokes, here Raiden's entire arc is learning to dehumanize himself and face to bloodshed and the enemies are hilariously, cartoonishly evil to the point where they're butchering orphans in the name of returning to THE GOOD OL' DAYS AFTER 9/11 and they turned the much-criticized nanomachines plot from MGS4 into a punchline to explain why Dick Cheney is the final boss.

...of SCIENCE! has a new favorite as of 10:23 on Dec 18, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM33Hr94SKw

Best game.

Literally the only thing dragging it down is that you can miss out on the :krad: lyrical version of Sundowner's boss theme if you play it too well. That and the one cutscene where they reintrodued Sunny from MGS4 was a little too long and boring, and even then they had that weird security guard drooling over anime girls in the backgrounds for laughs so it wasn't all bad.

And also the PC version is like 24 gigs and most of those are uncompressed video files, but as far as Japanese PC game ports go it's still one of the better ones :japan:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ninjahedgehog posted:

There is, but Normal difficulty isn't actually all that bad. For me, at least, Revengeance is a lot more forgiving than, say, Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry or even its big sister Bayonetta.

Definitely. Unlike Devil May Cry there's no lives or continues system, when you die you can restart from the beginning of the encounter/QTE/boss phase with no penalty aside from the score you get at the end of the level. And since you can fully recover at just about any time by doing a particularly skillful execution it actively encourages fooling around and experimenting instead of turtling and nursing a health bar. And on top of that you can carry healing items that automatically revive you with full health.

If you play it on PC you get all the various DLC from the console versions for free so on top of all that you can buy an upgrade that lets you carry double the normal number of health kits; on normal mode this means that rather than die your health will fully recover automatically 10 times before you die for real so even the final boss isn't too bad.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

scarycave posted:

Big Bertha scared the poo poo out of me when I was little.

Same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPiHmqeAe_Q&t=86s

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I loved Walking Dead but good lord they really didn't need to have a wise-cracking Whedon ninja join the cast. Even if it's still less cringeworthy than the chick with the katana from the actual comics.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

M.Ciaster posted:

Note: it's not as bad as it sounds.

It's still a low point of an otherwise great book, and I say that as someone who's pretty much neutral about zombies (except for thinking they're fun to shoot through in Left 4 Dead)

It's not any more ridiculous than Dick Cheney being a literal poo poo-shoveler, the military being comically inept.while armchair generals own them, or all the dumb vapid celebrities turning their zombie bunker into a reality show and being left to die because their bodyguard is disgusted by how big a whore Paris Hilton is.

World War Z is a very silly book that nerds take way too seriously because the moral of the book is that nerds are awesome and will rule everything when all the big stupid popular kids lose their power in the zombie uprising.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Febreeze posted:

Honestly the DLC Broken Steel and Point Lookout are worth playing. Broken Steel gives the game a better ending than the anti-climactic dump the original one is, and Point Lookout is just a fun new area to check out with some goofy quests and challenging enemies. Plus, since you've effectively beaten the game, the obnoxious enemies added on in broken steel won't bother you much (gently caress you feral ghoul reavers, gently caress you)

The Pitt was meh and the other two are crap.

Yeah, Broken Steel is necessary for raising the level cap and giving the game an actual ending and Point Lookout is fun. Operation: Anchorage tries to make Fallout play like Call of Duty and fails horribly, The Pitt is decent but kind of a slog, and Mothership Zeta is one of the worst things I've ever played.

All of New Vegas' DLC is fantastic, though. Even if you don't personally enjoy their core gameplay you can at least appreciate what they were going for and the rewards they give you are great.

...of SCIENCE! has a new favorite as of 01:40 on Dec 24, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Brainbread posted:

Ehhh. Old World Blues was amazing - just an awesome new area with a strange and quirky storyline. Dead Money was pretty good if you were ok with it sort of being off on its own compared to the rest of the game, but it had a good feel overall.

Honest Hearts and Lonesome road felt very rail-roady compared to the rest of the DLC and the rest of the game. You didn't really have much choice input in what was happening... and in my second playthrough of Honest Hearts, I found that it can be completed in about a minute if you decide to take the rear end in a top hat approach. That in itself felt really out of place, especially when you can pick sides in most faction stories.

Even if the actual faction and quest stuff in Honest Hearts wasn't amazing (made even worse by the game's glitchiness and the fact that in the original unpatched release you could lock yourself out of almost all the content by sniping Follows-Chalk from a distance before he can talk to you) I thought it was cool because having a more green and vertical world was a nice break from the flat brown desert and Joshua Graham was a great character. And I didn't mind Lonesome Road's linearity since it was focused around it on both a gameplay and narrative level and they were smart enough to have those automated stores so you didn't have to break up their dungeon crawl every time your inventory got full.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Kimmalah posted:

On the other hand, in Lonesome Road you get to listen to Ulysses ramble on with his "deep" philosophy 101 speeches. At least Old World Blues had a sense of humor.

At least most of Ulysses' speeches are played over the speakers or are recordings so they're just playing in the background as you do things. Old World Blues opens with a huge expository cutscene followed by a massive unskippable conversation with 5 different characters at the same time, even if you like the humor it brings the game to a screeching halt and is hugely awkward and obtuse in a game that's usually pretty good about telling the story through gameplay and environment.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Alouicious posted:

you're right, why don't they focus on the good parts of the rapemeisters

And even if you're pragmatic/goony enough for the ends to justify the means, the whole thing is a cult of personality that will fall apart as soon as Caesar dies.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Evilreaver posted:

Loop Hero requires too much attention for an autobattler, dangit. I can't listen to podcasts with this, too much to do! :argh:

Also I'm super bought into the story, but it seems like the kinda game that I'm not going to sufficiently "get" and won't be able to see the end :saddowns:

Loop Hero wound up being such a disappointment. Once you beat the first level you've basically seen everything the game has to offer and you're just going to be grinding that same content over and over for increasingly rare resources in large amounts to unlock small persistent upgrades. It would have been a much better game if they went to the trouble to hand-make a bunch of different levels and campaigns instead of throwing a bunch of cards at you and telling you to build your own fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

bony tony posted:

Sexism, probably. Female can't be soldier obvs

A satirical fantasy setting based on atomic age Americana having regressive gender roles? Obviously this is because the people making the game are sexists.