Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm a fighting game novice to begin with so my perspective is way different, but when I was playing through the story mode I would start getting the hang of it for about 2-3 fights, then suddenly a fight would come up that I'd have to try at least six times. Usually the bullshit 1v2 fights in particular. And this was after turning the difficulty down because I couldn't even get past the opening fight against Reptile on Normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Supposedly they were going to go with that or something more like the Ghostbusters game where you build up heat and then either need to manually vent it, simulating a reload, or overheat and suffer for it. Then they changed it to thermal clips. :goleft:

What bugs me about thermal clips isn't the radical departure in the combat gameplay itself, but rather that ammo scavenging in Mass Effect is dumb, and ME2 was pretty bad about just dumping pockets of clips in random spots for you to find.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

DStecks posted:

It always staggers me when people honestly claim that ME1 is better than ME2. I guess it's like the goon love affair with Alpha Protocol, it's easy to love the version of the game that exists in your head, or the version of the game as you imagine it could be; even if the actual game has serious undeniable flaws.

People can love games despite their flaws. Also ME2 has its own glaring flaws. Also people are more likely to fondly remember the "wow factor" of the first thing in a series over the refinements of its successors.

Really though ME1 and ME2 are so wildly different from each other that it really shouldn't be a surprise that some folks prefer what the first game was going for over the streamlined experience of the second.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

death .cab for qt posted:

Seriously, look at that poo poo.

Are those laser nips??

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

muscles like this? posted:

In the previous games you couldn't change your skin until you actually beat the game. AK lets you do it whenever since they changed it to all in engine.

There was a button code you could input to unlock skins immediately in AC, though you had to put it in every time you started the game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cleretic posted:

I checked Pillars of Eternity's disk, it does actually have the game on there. Which honestly only makes it more annoying, because they got so close. It's all there, but because of a minor fuckup by one guy somewhere along the line that effort was pointless. And they can't just patch it out, because it's the one bug that's in a place they can never get to.

I'm pretty sure there's some way to force Steam to install from disc, but I don't know the ins and outs of it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Really, any game with a home base is going to have that base get invaded. It's as near-inevitable as getting betrayed by your allies for a half-thought out reason.

Let's not forget about how helicopters are doomed to crash or be shot down, without fail.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
A big problem with Infinite's storytelling is that there's actually fairly thorough explanations for most of what's going on available...assuming you can find every last audio diary. But unlike the previous games the audio diaries are hidden collectibles instead of just strewn around like candy to be experienced.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I dimly recall reading that Bioshock Infinite's script went through a lot of iterations and the final game features bits and pieces of each one. Which in a strange way almost works out with the whole dimension-hopping idea.

It's really obvious from the pre-release material that what we got is not the game they intended to make. I'm really curious about what exactly went wrong. People are quick to crucify Levine for the lovely storytelling, but I'm left wondering if perhaps their original vision was too ambitious for last-gen consoles. Overall, it comes off like they spun their wheels for too long so 2K came in and had them gather up all the scraps they had lying around and release something playable. Similar to what happened with The Bureau, which ironically elevated that game somewhat, but certainly sunk Infinite if that was the case.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Somfin posted:

I thought that the ending of Bioshock Infinite was really good.

I didn't like that I was still scavenging. Like, can we stop with the food healing as a thing in games? Seriously?

We're living in all these supertech alternate pasts and in each one I'm scarfing down snackycakes to try to keep my energy up, why is that still a thing?

It made at least some sense in the original game, since that was a survival situation. After that though...I'm not sure which is more ridiculous - Booker hoovering up all that delicious garbage cake as he stumbles through Columbia like a hobo or Delta finding a way to stuff his face with potted meat while in a Big Daddy suit.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kaubocks posted:

I don't like SR3 that much because the story felt like a total mess. I spent about half the story thinking we were trying to save Johnny. Since all three gangs were essentially working together, the story felt like it was three gangs pushing and shoving over each other vying for attention rather than three separate, detailed stories. The bad ending is the only ending that felt like a "real" ending since it's the only one where the Daedalus actually shows up which is kind of a big deal, but all of it hinges on hoping the player actually thinks killing Killbane is most important thing which I never really felt like it was.

I'm probably just biased though because I think SR2 is the gold standard for open world games and easily one of the best games ever made.

That would've been fun if they had kept the pattern going past SR2, so that by 4 you'd still be dealing with three separate gangs, but they just happen to be aliens this time and you're vying for control of the Earth or the galaxy or whatever.

I'm in the same boat though - SR2 is my absolute favorite and the sequels just never quite grabbed me as much.

Even outside of the jumbled mess of a story, the tone of the third game is just all over the dang place. You've got Johnny's rushed death, PTSD Shaundi, and an overall more darker edge to the bad guys...right next to Professor Genki, the Fart in a Jar, and STAG to an extent. The Saints are meant to be stranded, depowered, and humiliated by the Syndicate, but Steelport thankfully still has a dozen Saints clothing boutiques for some reason? It just all feels weird before you get into the map being less interesting and some of the gameplay elements not really working as well as they could've.

I'm also a killjoy who didn't really like SR4 all that much. Virtual Steelport lowered the stakes despite the outlandish premise, and while the movement superpowers were all satisfying to use and had plenty of purpose, your offensive capabilities felt really flat and boring. Mainly because the game never scales up the enemies to challenge the Boss, outside of the tedious Warden fights. Instantly wiping out large mobs of mooks with fireballs or whatever eventually got boring, and the little enemy variety that was offered up was more vaguely annoying than anything. Also the superpowers ended up being upstaged by a bunch of the weapons too. Fireballs are lame when you can kill through the power of dubstep.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 07:16 on Aug 15, 2015

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
You also get rewarded for driving like an rear end in a top hat with shortcuts being added to your GPS.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm pretty sure 4 retconned Ocelot's supposed supernatural abilities, too. :v:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Hel posted:

I thought it was real until it became inconvenient, so he removed the arm and started faking, or do you mean it was all because of Liquids nanomachines or some bullshit?. All this is making me wonder if Silent Hills would even have been good, since over explaining usually kills horror.

I thought it was always rear end-pull self-hypnosis and Ocelot was playing the long game or something? But to be honest, I don't really remember for sure. At the very least, I try not to think about MGS4's final ending too much.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dr Christmas posted:

It was pretty good, but it had some problems with games that weren't designed for it, like SNES games on the Wii virtual console. Mario, Super Metroid, and many other games have you jump with B and hold Y to run, and tha involves you paying your thumb awkwardly across a large space without pressing the big A button in the center.

Also, while analog shoulder buttons were a good idea, the execution kind of sucked. Especially for cross-platform titles that were clearly designed for the PS2's basic shoulder button configuration instead.

And I don't recall the D-pad being all that great, either.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Walton Simons posted:

The PS2 had analogue shoulder buttons. Not as much travel on them, but I'm sure they were there.

It goes to show what a difference there is between them, I guess. I knew about the pressure sensitive face buttons (also used by the semi-obscure rhythm game Mad Maestro), but I didn't know that extended to the shoulders too.

Though that reminds me that the Gamecube also lacked symmetrical shoulder buttons, which was also a bit wonky.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 22:25 on Sep 16, 2015

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's still an uphill battle because if you strip out the remaining Doom stuff, what you're left with is a bland System Shock ripoff.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dewgy posted:

That said though, why did she have to get mostly naked to pilot Zeke? That I still don't get. :psyduck:

The in-story excuse is that Zeke's cockpit apparently gets so hot that it has to be flooded with coolant, so presumably she didn't want to ruin her clothes.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

It should also really put the materials that junk is made of next to the name when you hover over an item. As it is you have to pick up a junk item and find it in the inventory to see what materials it gives you, and at this point I don't want to waste inventory space on things that will only give cloth and steel when what I really need gears and fiberglass. Hoping there will be a mod soon that adds this stuff to the UI soon, it should be pretty doable.

Isn't there a way to mark materials you want to prioritize and have any relevant items automatically highlighted for you?

Len posted:

I was thinking about goofy poo poo to sarcastically say people should RP during Fallout but then I just made myself sad that there isn't an episodic Quantum Leap game where each episode is a different genre as you try to help Sam leap his way home.

My gut reaction is that QL could totally work as a Telltale game.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 23:58 on Nov 18, 2015

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dr Christmas posted:

On the GameCube at least, you could just push A+B+R+L and it would work for every event.

I might be misremembering or getting it confused with a different game, but if you're playing on PC, running the game at 60 FPS makes the QTEs harder.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sleeveless posted:

Normal person: Oh sick, I just got a gun that shoots nuclear warheads! I love this game!

Goon: Who are you trying to fool, Bethesda?! -plugs another pin onto a piece of string on their Beautiful Mind wall-

Like any good target du jour, Bethesda is simultaneously a clown college full of jokers who can't do anything right and also a shadowy cabal of elite puppetmasters laughing all the way to the bank.

Obviously, Bethesda does the bare minimum of QA because they know everyone will slap every goofy bug they encounter up on Youtube, which is just free advertising for them. :tinfoil:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sleeveless posted:

It also requires you to create an account with them to even play the game, which is complete bullshit and one of the quickest and easiest ways to know a game isn't worth playing.

I agree, Half-Life 2 wasn't worth it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm mostly just baffled that this particular random game on Steam has people flipping out about needing to make an account, as if it's a totally new and inexplicable thing.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Leal posted:

Did you try clicking "yes" when the game asks if you'd like to do the tutorial upon starting a new game or did you click "no" and uninstalled when the game didn't give you any tutorials and threw you into a battle.

Along these lines, I'm always baffled by the occasional posts that show up either here or in general Games threads from people who start a game on Hard and then promptly complain that it's too hard and not any fun.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Avoiding any specific spoilers, there are multiple potential payoffs with the Library Assistant, and there's reasons for why arguing with him tends to go poorly.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 11:04 on Jan 2, 2016

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Krinkle posted:

I just did the talos principle and your vague future hints are going over my head. I mean maybe I should know what you mean or maybe getting all the stars and everything and climbing the tower wasn't enough because I did the wrong dialog choices? I would love for some spoiler block texts explaining what I somehow didn't figure out. that his job was to give us a hard time to make sure were were 'human' enough to pass the iterations and allow us to inherit the earth? I felt like it was going that direction but then he went BEEP BOOP DO NOT QUESTION MY PURPOSE EVERYTHING MUST BE IN BOXES ERROR ERROR and I guess he's just a filing program who is bored and loving with me?

Did you find all the data terminals and audio logs too?

I haven't personally seen all the endings or permutations with the Library Assistant, but I was mostly getting at the fact that Milton is plainly the Devil to Elohim's God, so him being a petty, vindictive, all around contrarian dick is totally in-character. I'm don't actually know if there's an explicit reasoning for his behavior; I very faintly remember the implication that he's just as corrupted as the archive he's gatekeeping, but I could be dead wrong on that. This might just be incorrect speculation/misremembered info on my part, but I was under the impression that Elohim, at least as we know him, was an unintentional outcome of the program, with Milton ultimately being the same. Basically in the same way that the rest of the AIs kept iterating and evolving, so did Elohim and Milton.

In my particular branch I got fed up with him and just shut him down whenever he wanted to argue. This put me on the "Faith in Elohim" path which wasn't exactly what I was going for but I see how I got there. Eventually Elohim showed up and granted me admin powers to banish Milton. I hesitated on pulling the trigger, which allowed Milton to continue ranting about how faith is contrary to freedom and siding with Elohim means the end of free will, which capped off with him saying "You have no choice. Here, I'll make it easy for you. Go on. Do it." and leaving me with the singular option of banishing him. I'm not entirely clear on the implications of that.

Now I'm conflicted on whether I want to just go wrap up the last 5-10% of the main game I didn't finish or go back and play all the way through again to get a better idea of things (and nab a bunch of the mutually exclusive cheevos I missed).

And yeah, one of the ways you unlock more things to say in QR codes is by giving certain answers when talking to the MLA.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
More Talos Principle:

Somfin posted:

Personally I ended up quite enjoying our little chats, which led to me doubling down on a lot of my arguments until I drew him out into contradicting himself. The ending for that particular path has him showing up again and rather presumptively assuming that you understand his purpose- which kind of suggests that his purpose was designed, which means his whole fuckery aspect was an intentional part of that design. I did like his bit about how the only reason that you solved anything is that you're the latest in a rushed, underprepared brute-force algorithm and just happened to be the iteration that got through. Which was his way of saying "be careful out there, kid."

I think that his primary job is serving as a verbal test to accompany the logic and reasoning tests of Elohim's world- if the protagonist is going to be a viable replacement for humanity, they need to be able to figure out how to deal with little shits like Milton, without warning or preparation. Some of the discussions suggest that iterations have a tendency to go mad, or shut down when they run out of hope or hit a logical loop of some kind. Since Milton is maddening and deliberately loving with the player, I suspect his role is to deliberately drive iterations toward self-destruction, to make sure that they won't do that when it comes time to leave the matrix.

Interesting. I obviously ended up with a completely different angle on things, so I never ended up with a clear idea that Milton was deliberately designed to that extent but your interpretation is entirely sensible. I'm at a disadvantage here since I'm missing whatever the payoff is for the two tower endings and I haven't played the game in months, so I'm super rusty on the details. Though I suppose it's theoretically possible for both our interpretations to co-exist, with Elohim and Milton "naturally" coming to fill their niches within the program in some fashion, but really that's just me playing around with half-remembered concepts than anything substantive.

Also those tetronimo puzzles are fascinating, because I either solve them in no time flat or agonize over them for half an hour or more. I'm honestly not sure if I like them or hate them.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 02:02 on Jan 3, 2016

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sleeveless posted:

The Talos Princple is a great game and totally worth your time and money but a few of the star puzzles require ridiculous pixel-hunting or Fez-style ARG fuckery which is a drat shame when everything else is so well-designed and accessible.

For the uninitiated, Talos Principle is a puzzle game where you have hubs with several puzzles cordoned off into their own areas, and Stars are special collectibles that involve breaking open puzzles and using tools to either escape the bounds of puzzles or span across multiple arenas. Generally cool, mindbending stuff. But one of them requires you to scan a QR code and decipher the hexadecimal text within to know which two buttons to hit, while another has you targeting invisible targets for a laser beam that would be nigh-impossible to find without foreknowledge that they were there.

For your first example, it's sillier still because you still need to make a (minor) logical leap regarding the clue you're given to get the correct answer. For the second, there is technically a hint for it in the game, but it's so obtuse and the solution so unintuitive that it's basically meaningless.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Oxxidation posted:

I think the Magic Ninja Pot was patched out at some point later in development, it's now got a 0% chance of dodging any of your attacks.

This reminds me of an old funny thing in City of Heroes (I guess technically moreso City of Villains in this case), where destructible objects were basically just immobile, non-combat enemies that otherwise used to-hit rolls like anything else based on their level versus yours and other factors. So it was entirely possible to repeatedly miss against an inanimate object. If you were particularly low level, some objects' default level would actually be higher than yours, making them inherently harder to hit; naturally these higher level objects were also the larger, tougher targets. So a truck wasn't just sturdier than a car, it was also dodgier. :downs:

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 03:55 on Jan 29, 2016

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Space marines really should consider taking cover more often because according to the game they're actually pretty easy to kill if they're not doing TOTALLY SWEET EXECUTION MOVES on Orkz every five seconds.

The dumb marketing works better as a meta-joke about how Dawn of War 2 and its offshoots were all about sticking marines in cover, but just barely.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Portal 2 was originally going to use something called F Stop, and aside from the name and references to it being Portal 2's gimmick before they went back to portals, Valve's been tight-lipped about it.

Edit: Oh, and IIRC, Portal 2 was also originally completely focused on Cave Johnson and I think 70s Aperture, so not only were there no portals/portal gun, there were no other trappings of the first game.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 22:38 on Feb 5, 2016

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tiggum posted:

Nothing more irritating than realising you've accidentally gone the right way. It's really odd how many games are still designed around making the player want to go the wrong way first, and in general how level design is still so bad in terms of one-way passages, dead ends, inaccessible areas and just bad architecture.

A lot of (if not literally every instance of) one-way gates are necessary to cut the level up into more manageable chunks and load everything smoothly (especially on consoles), but they could still be done way better than:

- Oops, you fell down a waist-high ledge. Obviously climbing back up is out of the question.
- You walked through a random unassuming door which then permanently locked behind you for no reason.
- A cutscene triggered out of nowhere and now you're someplace else entirely.

Absolutely infuriating in any game with both missable collectibles and checkpoint saves.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Simply Simon posted:

I'm playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution right now and it's super clever that different actions are decided by if you hold the button or just tap it. It has also never misfired for me (or taken to long to do), so the length is incredibly well designed.

On a tangential note, more games should really take after HR's dialogue system: Simple summaries on the radial to keep everything tidy, but hovering over them reveals exactly what I'm about to say.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Krinkle posted:

Counterpoint: Making the blackrock sword in Ultima 7 owned. I stole a wizard's captured demon outta his magic mirror and stuck him in the gem in a pommel of a sword and he cursed my breath with every enemy I forced him to cleave through.

In Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, there's a side quest that entails finding a bunch of forging tools and materials in the level and actually going through the basic steps of forging a badass fire sword. It's nothing elaborate, you just follow the instructions you find along with everything else, but it's way more memorable than plunking a bunch of abstract iron ingot tokens into a menu and then it spits out a +1 Longsword.

Oh, and on that note, I absolutely hate that WoW-style "slowly filling progress bar" thing that some games pull. It makes an already boring, tedious system even worse. I can imagine the various reasons for why an MMO might have it, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it crop up in single-player games, and not even ones where you're doing item management in realtime.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Simply Simon posted:

I think HR is a victim of how great a game it really is: you know you can do things in a vast number of ways, and you start to expect that. Then you want to do it THIS way, but that doesn't work. And it sucks. But you cannot really fault the developers for that - they gave you SO MANY WAYS, but they didn't account for that one different one you want to do.

HR is simultaneously so good but also so infuriating because the game balance and reward structure are just plain messed up, and too much of the game is locked onto lethal/nonlethal and loud/stealth axes instead of a more open-ended toolbox approach. And due those axes, the elements that don't happen to play by those rules just feel odd.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 12:31 on Feb 25, 2016

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Simply Simon posted:

It should also be noted that while yes, you get noticably less experience for just killing dudes instead of knocking them out, it doesn't actually matter - about half the upgrades are useless anyway and it matters jackshit if you get the aim stabilizer or whatever you were shooting (heh) for half a mission earlier or not. I mean, that's a problem in and of itself but all the :byodood: I NEED TO MAXIMIZE MY EXPERIENCE AT ALL TIMES THEREFORE I LURE ENEMIES TOGETHER SO I GET A DOUBLE TAKEDOWN ALWAYS THIS ONLY TAKES ME TWENTY RELOADS PER ATTEMPT :byodood: is laughable, too. You will have far, far more levels than you will ever need even with a casual "a gently caress it just start shooting them" playstyle by the end of the game, the only thing you lose is the ability to make the early, easy levels just that slight bit more easy. There's a GameFAQs guide I glanced at that tells you the exact order to purchase your upgrades in to not miss a single point of XP and NO YOU HAVE TO HACK EVERY COMPUTER EVEN IF YOU FOUND THE CODE FOR IT THERE IS POINTZ IN THAT, I have zero pity for you if you let that mentality drag the game down for you.

I'm not defending that kind of obsessive optimization. :shobon: My point is that it's not hard to see how the game itself breeds those attitudes, even at a minor scale, where the player can immediately see the disparity between lethal and nonlethal force within the first room of the first actual level. It similarly sets a bad early precedent when the player easily comes across the lopsided hacking rewards, particularly in a context where the arbitrary hacking rewards are outright better than most of the actual "prizes" for hacking (mostly a bunch of gossipy emails).

And it goes beyond that besides - stuff like the exploration bonuses are just redundant and silly. Exploration is inherently fun in these kinds of games, but even beyond that the whole point of exploring in Deus Ex is to be rewarded with additional routes and resources. It's even more redundant in HR because money acts as a secondary form of experience thanks to the Praxis kits on offer in every hub section, and sometimes you even outright get a kit just for going off the beaten path.

The fact that there is no real tangible endgame to all that optimization just makes it all the worse. What's especially baffling is that this is a solved problem in these sorts of games. You never give drip feed XP for minor, repetitive tasks like neutralizing enemies. Just give a lump sum for completing objectives. I'm a little rusty on the nuances of the original DX, but I'm pretty sure that's exactly how it was done there. It's worrying because it belies either a lack of confidence in the player interacting with the game's systems, so they need to be bribed into it, with the end result being rewarding players for playing "correctly" and thereby missing the entire freaking point, or perhaps a more Call of Duty-esque assumption that the player needs to be saturated with regular arbitrary pats on the head, lest they lose interest in the Skinner box. The game is smarter than either of those, which is why it frustrates me so much that it makes those mistakes.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Pocket Billiards posted:

Regarding DXHR. I don't see the problem in making stealth more rewarding if it is more difficult to do.

Considering you can elect to turn invisible for as long as you can stuff energy bars down your throat (or just dash from safe spot to safe spot and wait your free battery or two out), I'm not sure I'd say that stealth in HR is really that much more difficult than the alternative. Combat also manages to be at least a step above trite cover shooter, even if that's mostly down to Jensen being made of tissue paper against direct fire.

Tiggum posted:

And the rocket launcher is at least worth using in a couple of locations. The three other big weapons may as well not be in the game at all, because you'll never use them.

The plasma rifle especially stands out since the most you can ever possibly use it on are two bosses and the crazed civilians in the endgame; obviously a victim of the clusterfuck hackjob they were forced to do with the endgame. The laser gun can shoot through walls! But I have no idea where that would be particularly useful, and you absolutely need the see through walls aug to go with it unless you're just going to cheese the final boss with it.

I remember using the heavy rifle in my kill-'em-all run, but that had more to do with HR's assault rifle being one of the most boring guns in any game ever than me really needing a handheld minigun. The explosive options manage to be overshadowed by the Typhoon, and even the big robots die in one EMP grenade, so I was always hard pressed to lug those around.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I skipped past the cutscenes after the prologue, which is remarkably similar to Human Revolution and Dishonored where you walk around following some important woman before she gets stuffed into a fridge. I didn't care about Corvo's queen or Adam Jensen's ex, but NuGarrett's protegee is so loving awful. She's haughty, obnoxious, antagonistic and acts like she knows more than NuGarrett. Pacifist-run be damned I wanted her dead. Too bad I read the synopsis and she survives the whole thing.
It's pretty great because she immediately comes off as an rear end, but then Garrett turns right around and acts like shithead right back by swiping her climby thing, which sets off the whole plot. And then he ends up using it for the rest of the game anyway despite his grouching about it.

You can't jump and mantle like any other FPS protagonist, it's all contextual as butts.
To be fair...there really aren't that many games that let you freely mantle. And there's plenty that don't let you jump at all either! :v:

I stopped playing after beginning Chapter 2 as it had been three hours and no one had said the word "Taffer".
It does show up at least once, as part of some incidental dialogue in the city. It might after Chapter 2 but I honestly don't remember. It's one guard telling another about how some lout called him a taffer the other night, and what's that even supposed to mean? :haw:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tiggum posted:

High point is either SR2 or Gat Out of Hell, depending on your personal preference. SR3 was worth getting when it came out, but I would no longer recommend it at all. :colbert:

I was eventually so underwhelmed by SR4 that it made me want go back and replay 3. And to be fair, while 3 was a clusterfuck thanks to THQ, it did have its high points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

razorrozar posted:

I really like SR4 but Prototype and inFAMOUS did the open-world superhero gameplay so much better.

I happen to be playing through Prototype right now, and hoo boy is it a game of its era. Ultimately, it kind of has the opposite problem to SR4. Whereas Saints Row gives you godlike superpowers and then completely fails to escalate the challenge to compensate, Prototype gives you godlike superpowers and then does everything it can to render them meaningless.

Infamous had a few rough edges, but I definitely liked it the best out of the three. Wish I had a PS3 around to replay it.