Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

The plot of DAI is kind of wonky. It starts off with this whole "Breach in the sky" thing and the only thing anyone talks about is closing it. Except after three or four story missions you just kind of unceremoniously fix the problem and that's it. The game then starts up a whole new plot about this bad guy.

The main villain was so lame, too. He seemed really threatening the first time you encounter him but after that he's just this loser whose rear end you whoop constantly and you're always one step ahead of. I even really liked the nameless Venatori goons as villains in their own right but they get overshadowed by just how lame their boss is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Esroc posted:

Related, I picked up Elder Scrolls: Online and have found it pleasantly enjoyable. It's far from perfect, but I'm having enough fun that I know I'll get my money's worth out of it at the very least.

However one of the bigger things dragging it down is that the plot and dialogue is written as a single player game. The NPC's rarely, if ever, acknowledge that you're just one player among thousands. So the quests end up inconsistent since you'll inevitably complete 99% of them alongside two dozen other players while the NPC's will behave as if you are the only person in the world doing anything. It also ruins any sense of accomplishment since spelunking into a dangerous cavern to fight an all-powerful necromancer means you'll be accompanied by other players that the game won't acknowledge in any way and you all get credit for any quests completed regardless of any actual teamwork.

Simply tweaking the writing to acknowledge other players would fix all of this. Instead of "Head down to the beach and wipe out the Maormer invaders" it should be "I've sent other agents down to the beach to wipe out the Maormer invaders, go aid them." Bam, problem fixed.

Nothing like walking into an ancient ruin and listening to your companion gape about how we must be the first people to set foot in here in centuries while the two dozen other players that got there before you are rolling around in the background.

I agree that I'm enjoying the game a lot but there are a lot of silly moments like that. Most of the time I'm able to rationalize the other players as just being other wandering adventurer/mercenary types like you and that works well enough most of the time but the game really needs more instanced quests to prevent stuff like heist missions where there are about three times more heisters disguised as servants than there are actual servants.

Punished Chuck has a new favorite as of 18:46 on Jun 19, 2015

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

You can't, annoyingly. I'm had to reload more than once because Geralt suddenly lacks basic mobility when in combat.

Games having separate combat and non-combat control schemes is always frustrating unless it's one of those things like Total War or Expeditions: Conquistador where there's a distinct difference between the two stages. I'm playing Assassin's Creed: Unity to try and get caught up on the series before Syndicate comes out, and I keep getting my rear end whooped because somehow an enemy can wail on Arno for a good five seconds or so before he realizes he's in combat and I get the controls that actually let me fight back. It doesn't happen real often, usually he has his sword out before the enemy is in fighting range, but it's often enough that it's noticeable as being more then just an accidental hiccup.

Another thing that bugs me about the game is that there's no button to finish off an enemy that's been knocked to the ground. If you attack an enemy who's aware of you--and thus can't be assassinated--from above, Arno drops down on them, knocking them to the ground for several seconds, and then nobly allows them to safely stand back up and engage you again.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

I thought the plot/setting of that game telegraphed you having your home base invaded way harder than any gameplay elements.

Really, any game with a home base is going to have that base get invaded. It's as near-inevitable as getting betrayed by your allies for a half-thought out reason.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

In some way, reusing the Steelport map really worked well, because if you played SR3 you already know it and can zip around in SR4 with wild abandon.

For the most part I thought Steelport was really bland and boring compared to Stilwater but giving you a full game to mess around in the Steelport map with conventional controls and then giving you all kinds of crazy superpowers to tear through that same map in the next game was a stroke of genius.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Literally my only complaint about MGSV is that, for a game whose sound design is perfect 99.9% of the time (seriously, it has some of the best audio direction I've ever heard except for the one thing I'm about to bitch about), unsilenced guns sound really wimpy. Sniper rifles still sound good but everything else sounds barely any louder than they do with the suppressor attached. It's a really weird oversight.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

"Boss, get down! That's an enemy sniper."

"That's an enemy gunship. It's gun could cut a man in two."

Good god are the repeated tips annoying. Yes, Ocelot, I get it, I'll crawl to make sure those things can't see me. Speaking of gunships, gently caress gunships, the later stage ones are sturdy enough to withstand several volleys of rocket barrages. :argh:

beep by grandpa posted:

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Boss, that's the target
He's coming too?

---

DoubleNegative posted:

You knocked out the enemy's anti-air radar? That wasn't one of the objectives but it's created a hole in their air surveillance network. You could probably land a chopper nearby now.

This one pisses me off every time I hear it. He sounds so confused, like you're a crazy person for doing something not directly related to the objective. And he says it every time.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

None of this matters one tiny iota because the actual thing dragging Fallout 4 down is that you can't pet your dog, or even tell him that he's a good boy.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Seeing someone criticize the dead spouse, missing son plot as being impossible to care about while praising New Vegas's, in which a bunch of boring assholes you have no reason to care about fight over a territory you have no reason to care about, is tripping me out.

Not to defend Fallout 4's plot because I kinda agree about the "no real reason to care" thing in theory even if I don't really have a problem with it in Fallout 4, but man, come on.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

For an ACTUAL GAMEPLAY complaint about FO4, it is far too easy to lose track of where you send companions when you dismiss them. The game really needs an option to just send someone back to where you found them, like Nick should just be back in his office instead of some empty settlement that you haven't bothered developing.

I sent Nick to Sanctuary Hills and I haven't been able to find him since. I lost Dogmeat and Codsworth there for a while, too. I really wish companions would show up on the local map. I don't know if it's just because Sanctuary Hills is so big that I keep losing them or what. I've turned Red Rocket Gas Station into like a forward operating base where I keep my power armor, my personal armory, and companions that aren't currently traveling with me since it's small enough to find everything and close to SH, but it's too late for poor missing Nick.

Also, this talk of settlements reminded me, they really need to make it more obvious when a settlement is under attack. Unless I'm missing something, the only way to tell is by a small popup in the upper left of the screen adding a "Help defend X" miscellaneous quest. Luckily I noticed it in time to help a settlement fight off the first invasion I ever got, but I guess I must have been looking at my phone or something for the second one because all of a sudden I got a notification saying "Help defend Y: OBJECTIVE FAILED." Just give me a message from my Pip-Boy radio saying "Hey, I'm here at Z, we're seeing a lot of activity from raiders/ghouls/whatever, can you come take a look?" or something.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

SkeletonHero posted:

How far are you in the main quest? Until you're done with his relevant part (up through Goodneighbor) Nick is either bugged or flagged to to go Piper's office or the next main quest location when you dismiss him. Once you finish up with the Memory Den in Goodneighbor, he should start behaving himself.

Now that I think about it, I did dismiss him at the very end of his relevant quest line, in Piper's office. I just never went back or thought to check there, since he wasn't at his office or the Memory Den and I'd already temporarily lost a couple companions to the sprawl of Sanctuary Hills. Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check that out next time I play.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah, I hardly ever use the power armor (it took me forever to find new fusion cores and I got so used to not having it that I still hardly ever use it now that I have plenty) and really only suit up for dramatic purposes because I like seeing my guy in a heavy suit of power armor with the Minutemen logo stamped on the chest stomp up to some farmer and go "You called for the Minutemen?," and I haven't had any real issues. I do die a good bit more than I did in 3/NV, but I feel like that has a lot more to do with the fact that there's more to combat now than a bunch of people standing there statically and blasting each other until the one with the higher numbers wins.

Granted, I do still have that bug that makes it impossible to die which may be loving with my perception of the game's difficulty, but I still get feedback when my character would have died, pre-bug, so.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I'm playing Divinity: Original Sin for the first time now that there's the enhanced edition or whatever on PS4. At the start you create two characters instead of just one, and you can set one (or maybe both?) to have an AI personality during conversations, but if you choose not to, which is the default, you control both during conversations with each other. Which is great, and not at all what I'm complaining about.

What I don't like is that if they disagree on a choice, it plays this dumb rock-paper-scissors game where the winner of that wins the argument and their decision is the one that gets made. Which would be great for co-op, where one player controls each character, but if I'm playing solo and controlling both it would be great if I could just pick which side wins. I know I could just choose not to have them disagree but I'm one of those doofuses that likes to role play my characters in an RPG :saddowns:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Captain Lavender posted:

It is. When I keep hearing, 'we need to find out how to restore your powers, because you don't have any', and I just got done force stunning a bunch of guys, it's kind of weird.

It's been too long for me to remember exactly how the dialogue went, but to be fair your character was supposed to be a full-fledged Jedi before being cut off from the Force and now you're just using the weakest versions of the earliest available Force powers.

But yeah I don't know what the hell they were thinking with that mining facility. I never even had a problem with Taris but the facility was such a boring slog I never bothered making more than one character, and I'm the kind of guy who has like eight different character builds running at once in Morrowind.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Kerbtree posted:

Are you on about the one where you start at the bottom of a hill?
Go from rock to rock.

Yeah, by going cover to cover while he reloads you should be able to circle around the left and end up at the top of the plateau with him, and there's cover close enough that you can lob the dynamite straight at his feet which will do a ton of damage regardless of how many points you put into dynamite skills.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Every MMO has this issue, where all the players wind up looking really uniform in the end and it makes me wish more games made your armor cosmic and made your stats come from somewhere else to prevent this. Or included cosmetic armor slots.

DC Universe Online does this, with armor slots determining your stats but a separate "style" menu determining what you look like--you had a lot of options for your character's costume at character creation, and then when you picked up a new piece of armor its appearance would be added to a drop-down menu for whichever armor slot it was for. This made your stats and your appearance entirely divorced from each other, and then you got a fun new twist to loot where if you get a gear drop, even if it's not better than what you have or doesn't fit your build or whatever, it can still be worthwhile if it looks cool.

It's such a neat system that it kinda ruins other RPGs that don't do that for me.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I learned not to trust Bioware's auto level way back in KOTOR when it was extremely rare that it would ever choose to put even a single skill point in anything other than Treat Injury.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I've only ever played Academy so it's always weird to me when people talk about how great Kyle Katarn is and how he's the best part of the EU and etc etc etc because in that game all he does is go to the mission area with the new student, say "well, I've gotta take a poo poo, peace" and then the student takes down a small army of stormtroopers, criminals, Tusken raiders, and whatever else single-handedly, and then Katarn shows up afterwards and is all "wow I feel about ten pounds lighter--:eyepop: what'd I miss????" every single mission. Come on, dude.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Thin Privilege posted:

Death waves in Cities: Skylines. Sometimes it's like my whole city has a skull and bones over each building. And why the hell do cemeteries only have 12 hearses whose programming is so lovely that no dead ever get collected? I've tried many mods but none fix it.

You have been selected as High Gravelord of the Necropolis. This is a tremendous honor.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I may be giving the writers too much credit but the dialogue in Life is Strange didn't bother me because it was like this mish-mash of slang from the last like 50 years and also some stuff that I don't think anyone's ever said so I figured it wasn't trying to go for "this is how teenagers talk these days" and more just going for something sounding kinda teenager-ish and I think it worked on that level.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Recently finished playing through the story mode in Black Ops 3 and man, that game is needlessly obtuse. Like all the setting background is hidden away on a fake internet. Also some of the story stuff just doesn't make a lot of sense. Like before the last mission you undergo some kind of procedure that is never explained and doesn't seem to change anything.

You know that thing where a bunch of text scrolls past the screen really fast at the start of the mission, and then a few words get highlighted to form the mission's title card. Apparently the big twist is hidden in there: Your character died on the operating table after the first mission, everything after the Matrix-style training mission is your character's DNI freaking out as your brain dies and it creates a confusing mess of a storyline stitched together from your character's life and the Law and Order guy's last mission to track down a traitor in the Singapore quarantine zone since your DNIs were synced at the time of death. This is why things like hooking up with the bad guy's ex and the weird surgery thing happen (the surgery was the villain getting his bionic upgrades). It's been months and I still can't tell if that's clever or stupid.

The fake Internet thing is really weird, I never thought Call of Duty, of all series, would hide all its plot behind a codex. It just kinda shouts at you that you have to stop the NRC because they're aligned with the CDP to take down Egypt, the Wilson Accord's last ally in the region!!! and if you want to know what the hell any of that means, well, read these fake Wikipedia articles in the safehouse between missions.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Perestroika posted:

With the the HP scaling, most weapons don't feel particularly powerful and it often takes an annoyingly long time to even just kill regular trash enemies.

The moment I knew I was never going to play a Borderlands game was when a video of BL2 was posted in the Little Things thread. There's apparently a quest where you have to use a gun that makes this horrendously irritating squealing noise whenever you fire it. In the video, the player was doing that quest, fighting what appeared to be just a bunch of regular enemies, but each one took what seemed like about 30 seconds of sustained automatic fire to bring down. "Oh, that's funny," I thought, "it's really weak so you have to listen to that awful noise for a really long time while you're using it." Only for another goon to explain "see, it's funny because it's actually really powerful, so you have to listen to it if you want to be effective!"

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Dr Christmas posted:

It's a quest reward, and it doesn't feature in any future quests. It also comes with the disadvantage of slowing you down as you fire it.

But your point about it taking forever to kill guys stands.

It wasn't the weapon itself, it's that the TTK was so long on what appeared to be bog-standard enemies that I assumed it was supposed to be comically weak until another goon said that that's just how Borderlands 2 is. I guess if I was right the first time and it is just a weak weapon that's not too bad but they were making it sound like it's supposed to be even stronger than normal weapons.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I'm playing Fallout 4 again after putting it down for like 3 months and apparently Bethesda decided to solve the "your allies hate you forever if you accidentally hit one of them in the chaos of a pitched battle" issue (was there anyone who didn't get immediately arrested after being proclaimed the hero of the battle of Bruma?) by making it so that your allies will never turn on you. Which robs my decision to betray the Brotherhood and the Railroad to side with the Institute of a lot of gravity when no one reacts because they seem to think I showed up to a pitched battle as a neutral observer and only killed those dozen Brotherhood troopers and three vertibirds by accident. Some kind of middle ground would have been nice.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's pretty obvious he meant games that are multi plat are often designed for the console first then ported over to pc after, not that no games are designed for pc Jesus christ.

Brain-diseased troglodytes aggressively picking fights based on deliberate misreadings of video game posts is like at least a quarter of PYF.

Mazerunner posted:

Zooming around in the car mode is fun, playing dodge the red line in tank mode not so much.

Yep, the APC chases were an absolute blast but aside from that and smashing up all the criminals' cars that can't actually fight back there wasn't really anything to do in car mode aside from drive around really fast.

Tank mode was really lackluster, I had fun the first few fights where there were only a handful of enemies so the "dodge the red line," as you say, wasn't really a factor, but way too quickly the red lines became all there was to combat and each fight felt like it would never end. I had more fun cruising around popping random fleeing rioters with the rubber bullet cannon than I did with just about any other part of tank mode.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Is the TOR thing new because I've never spent a penny on that game and I could run last time I played a couple months ago.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

BillmasterCozb posted:

Hotline Miami 2 is a video game based off the premise that every single cartel in Florida, in the early nineties, really loved to make their houses out of glass

HM2 is less a game than it is a bunch of things dragging a game down stapled together, like the devs were determined to remove everything people liked about the original.

The swan twins were cool as hell though.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Perfect Potato posted:

The level design took a huge nosedive in the sequel. I cleared the first jungle section and was playing as the cop again and the level he was in was just so loving open that I would die instantly and have no idea what happened. Eventually I got to a screen where you enter from the right, and once you go past the first glass room you start next to you're more or less surrounded on all sides by dogs, fat men, and who the gently caress knows what else. Last time i bothered playing that piece of poo poo.

I'm pretty sure I'm on the last mission and I still can't muster up the give-a-poo poo to finish it. I wasn't joking when I said they removed everything good about the first game, and the level design really confirms that. Every level seems designed around a special path the developers want you to take and you have to work out what that is, as opposed to the first game which was fast, frenetic, and all about improvising.

I think the worst was that one mission where you play as the detective raiding a warehouse or something and you go upstairs and find like 4 long conga lines of about 25 bad guys weaving in and out of each other in this bizarre pattern and you have to slowly, carefully draw one or two away from the others at a time. That's the one that confirmed to me the devs had no idea what made the first one popular.

And that's not even getting into the overemphasis on guns, the removal of the mask system in favor of characters that barely differ from each other (some of whom have no abilities or really lame ones), missions where you can't switch weapons so you have to carefully conserve ammo until you reach ammo boxes, and all kinds of crap. The actual gameplay of smashing someone's dome in is still the same as it was but they hosed up everything around it so bad.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Your mom's vagina should probably sue them for violating her likeness rights.

Not that it's ever cared about violation before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaRBHQlEu-o

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I didn't know you even could aggro that guy, I've always just walked past him and he never once came after me. Only time I ever had to fight him was when I decided out of curiosity to see if I could take him down or not and even then he didn't aggro until I actually hit him.

The answer was "not," by the way.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

kazil posted:

I played MGSV to completion and never got invaded but that was way back when it was released and there were way more people playing the game so you know....

I once played until I fell asleep in front of my TV and woke up to a message that I had been invaded and lost some stuff, and that was the only one I "saw." Which is really weird since I invaded people reasonably often which I think was supposed to increase your risk of being invaded? It seems like something that could be pretty safely ignored if my experience is any indication.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

oldpainless posted:

How many people have died from Pokemon Go?

A few reported robberies and a couple of doofs injured after a tumble down a cliff but no fatalities yet I believe. Which puts it ahead of their previous game which led someone in Ireland to walk off a cliff to his doom.

My main issue with Go is how little anything is explained. Do I want to have multiples of each Pokemon or should I just turn in weaker duplicates for the candy? Can I find out how the battle system works without charging cluelessly into a gym fight and hoping I can figure it out? Why isn't the game showing me where this Pokemon is when I selected to track it? Even simple stuff like being able to pick up Poke Balls that missed blew people's mind several days after release. The searching for and capturing of new Pokemon was always my favorite part of the regular games moreso than the battles so I'm generally enjoying it but some kind of manual would be really useful.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I've been trying it without success for a few days so I refuse to believ eit

It's really finicky about whether or not you're actually touching it so I have to jab at it wildly a dozen times each but it does work.

I actually tried it before it was known when I noticed the balls lingered onscreen for a couple seconds after a miss but when it didn't do anything I assumed I was just overthinking a rolling animation and gave up. No, it's just that picky

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

https://youtu.be/1lffg88WDRg

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Actually, he's right.

CJacobs posted:

Deceitful Penguin is not wrong.

Whether he's right or not has nothing to do with why that post is so embarrassing.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Captain Lavender posted:

Once they hate you, even helping them doesn't help. If I save a lord in trouble he blames me for trying to steal his glory.

Reminds me of Sid Meier's Pirates!, where I was once chewed out by a Spanish governor for attacking a Spanish ship. The fact that the ship was holding his daughter, who had been kidnapped by one of the governor's own men turned traitor, and that I had boarded it to rescue her apparently didn't count as an extenuating circumstance.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I think shooting was the only stat I ever really noticed a difference in once I started leveling up anyway so it all seemed kinda pointless to me. The others I would maybe occasionally feel a bit of difference between the characters but not enough to be sure there actually was one and it wasn't my imagination.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

Half-Life 2: There are about nine faces for all unnamed friendly NPCs (which was a lot for 2004.) Most of the time this fact doesn't call attention to itself but there's one bit towards the middle of Anticitizen One that seems almost guaranteed to produce identical twins.

Pretty much all my gaming time lately has been nonstop Witcher 3 marathons and this is something that's been bugging me in it. I don't care that random peasants get repeated a lot, whatever, no game's going to have everyone be completely unique unless it's some procedurally generated thing, but quest givers and sometimes secondary-but-still-important plot characters get recycled with maybe a few superficial changes and it's really weird.

The pellar in Skellige being the pellar from Velen, plus a few facial moles and minus a few teeth, was the one that really irritated me since they're both fairly important characters to the main plot as well as some larger side quests.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I really, really like the guy who does Geralt but there's one random side quest where he delivers like two lines in what I assume is the actor's normal voice instead of Geralt's gravelly Batman voice only to suddenly return to normal and it was so bizarre and jarring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The game never clearly differentiates between what's public and what's private, either. There's been plenty of times when I'd take something in town in full view of the guards who wouldn't react because I guess it was just free for whoever, sometimes I'd do it and immediately get my poo poo stomped in by guards 20 levels higher than me, it's an irritating oversight when other games like Skyrim and Divinity: Original Sin make it really obvious when an item will be considered stolen if you take it.