Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Kingdoms of Amalur. The game was a weird mess in a lot of ways, but the combat was really solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Trick Question posted:

I've played that game. The combat was still really boring and bad. It only stood out because of the incompetence of its peers imo.

Although, tbf I only tried playing as a wizard.
It depended on your class. Some of them were really fun (chakram users) and others were not (heavy weapons fighters, dagger/stealth guys).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Arkham Asylum: Despite a character called the Joker providing constant commentary, he is not given a single funny or entertaining line.
drat, this guy's almost as crazy... as Theodore Joker himself!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ElGroucho posted:

I'm annoyed that the Joker is always the main focus of the games. So many great, memorable villains, and all the writers can't leave the Joker out of a single game.
Once Mark Hamill dies this will probably stop.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

They're keeping it under wraps, but the Joker will appear in a Scarecrow nightmare sequence.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jaramin posted:

Mark Hamill wasn't the Joker in the most recent game.
God, no wonder Arkham Origins sucked so hard.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Bastion is a fantastic game but something that's always, always dragged it down for me is a little issue with the isometric perspective. The perspective itself is cool and they do a lot of neat tricks with it, but the Kid does not move perfectly square on the X axis; his diagonal walk is just a BIT skewed, meaning you have to readjust yourself up and down while you're walking. Rolling diagonally skews it even worse depending on what direction you're moving and it's caused me to fall off quite a few 1x1 wide tiles in my recent playthrough.
I only found this to be an issue in the last level, when they decide to introduce platforming. Presumably as an homage to the other great games that shouldn't have had platforming at the end, but did.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Vic posted:

In two sentences explain why I shouldnt be able to spawn a tank in my rpgs
Summoners are OP. You're DPS and you can spawn a tank? Not cool.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

DStecks posted:

Tailing and eavesdropping missions can gently caress right off and die.

I guess my personal philosophy for open-world game missions is that they should facilitate fun stuff that can't happen organically during the open-world gameplay. GTAV gets this, GTAIV did not. Assassin's Creed 2 got this. AC1 is kind of an interesting case, in that the open world was designed to facilitate the assassination missions, as opposed to almost all modern games that start with an open world and then come up with missions to populate it. Like, you take the missions out of Far Cry 4, it's still Far Cry 4 and it still works. You take the missions out of AC1, and there isn't a game anymore. Shadow of Mordor is a fantastic leap forward for design in terms of trying to somewhat remove the missions and make most of the "story" be a product of open play, so I fully expect nobody to copy it and keep right on making open worlds for the sake of open worlds where you traipse from mission to mission.
Far Cry 4's mission design is real good. They basically just act as minor variants on the core outpost gameplay. Some of them are really clever. It's way better than Far Cry 3's awful bosses, giant monsters, and rail shooters.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

I still love the city of pain mission. Accidentally packed the M22 (handheld grenade launcher) on it for my first try.

So the first half was a really tense stealth mission, the second half would make Michael Bay tear up.

Only thing I didn't like about Far Cry 4 is they used the "drugged during mission" gimmick a bit too much. Shangri La was a cool enough variation on its own, you didn't need 5-6 other missions all about having you shooting mans while tripping out.
The side missions are definitely weaker, but I'm glad that when they drug you it's not a 15-minute cutscene.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Ironically, the thing making Chrono Cross worse is that it drags Chrono Trigger's plot in. The sequel to Chrono Trigger would be better off not being a sequel to Chrono Trigger, as the only things that make it a sequel are all poorly explained infodumps that only obfuscate the plot.
Chrono Cross's plot is already a mess, but this makes it way worse.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

grittyreboot posted:

This actually just hosed up the end of Farcry 4 for me. Pagan Min gave me the choice to either shoot him or take them to the temple and scatter Ajay's moms ashes together. I ended up accidentally shooting Min while trying to figure out how NOT to.

Then the game autosaved after the credits. I like the game, but no way am I replaying the entire game just for another cutscene.
YouTube it. It's a good scene, but it plays the same whatever you do.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Tim Schafer made one mistake?
Yeah... not destroying Sauron's ring when he had the chance.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Simon, you're drunk again. Sleep it off.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Elysiume posted:

Weapon drops were underwhelming and bad for most of the game which was pretty disappointing. The final gun I got was a legendary shotgun that shot like a million bullets that came out sideways and with anarchy it was a mess of me shredding everything that got in my face.
Was it a Conference Call? Because you have a high chance of getting one from Jack.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nethack is basically a solvable puzzle. The whole game is about learning how it works. Once you do, it's always beatable.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

There's also all the alleys and slums of Detroit and Hengsha. Expect to see more of that in Humanity Divided.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Batman is a bad game covered in "good game make-up", the rest of those games are utter poo poo
Arkham Asylum is good. Arkham City is not.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cleretic posted:

This makes him literally the only character from the entire series that's canonically turned up in more than one game that wasn't a direct sequel, and the best part is that they don't do anything with that. He gets to access infinite alternate universes, and he spends his time in every single one of them collecting swords and constantly failing to get Excalibur.

They could make Gilgamesh this enormous and complicated side character that intertwines every game in the series and hints at this hopelessly epic over-story... but nah. He's just collecting swords across universes because he can.
This is because Gilgamesh represents the player in their purest form. No regard for the story, the world, anything like that. Just an obsessive desire to get the best, biggest, shiniest weapons.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Len posted:

So I've had a slow day at work and played approximately 30 games of blitzball today getting the rest of wakkas poo poo and the complaint is now the game is boring as poo poo and I want to do literally anything else.
So don't do that. Do something else. Start a new file with a low-level run or something.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Len posted:

I didn't want to sit through all those FFX cutscenes the first time. Why on earth would I restart the game and do it again? I didn't bother to bring a book or anything because I wasn't supposed to be in a room full of sleeping children for four hours.
Oh yeah, I forgot that FFX doesn't have skippable cutscenes.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

it's got one of the most ridiculous "are you loving serious, really" plot reveals in videogame history.
I'm going to spoil this for everyone because there's no excuse for playing it: your arm is your dead wife.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Emergent gameplay is seeing the Buddha on the road, and killing him.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

death .cab for qt posted:

"Emergent gameplay" is literally why GTA exists still and is probably why the sandbox-game open-world genre even exists to the degree that it does.
I thought GTA was about driving cars and stuff.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

death .cab for qt posted:

And it was only successful because the cops-running-your-rear end-down aspect was a glitch, entirely unrelated to the game's original purpose, and everybody loved it so much it stayed in.

"Emergent gameplay" is pretty much one of the most important aspects of video games because of things like that.
So there originally weren't cops in GTA but they generated spontaneously like Tron 2?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

They were supposed to follow you, stop you, and arrest you. Except rather than, say, get behind you then slow down and follow you, they charged as fast as they could go directly into the player vehicle, making it something of a demolition derby. Since you couldn't stop for them (they kept pushing you) more cops would show up and make a huge mess and it was fun enough to spawn a slew of sequels.
Oh, so "emergent gameplay" is gameplay that causes sequels to emerge?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oh I see, it's like how more of Samus emerges from her power suit in the various endings, that's emergent gameplay. So like alternate costumes and stuff that make the characters sexier.

Edit: Okay, I've given it some thought, and I get the GTA comparison now. A lot of women in GTA wear bikinis.

FactsAreUseless has a new favorite as of 14:28 on May 9, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

More like they just eventually build emergent features into games. Skiing in Tribes 1 (sliding down hills to go at insane speeds) was a bug/exploit that was enough fun to be made into a core gameplay feature of Tribes 2 and beyond.
Okay, so like in Tony Hawk Pro Skater you could do kickflips due to a physics bug, even though those aren't possible in real life, so they made them into a "real" skateboard maneouvre in the sequels, because players liked them. So emergent gameplay is like when players vote on cool features they want in future games, like Luigi jumping higher in Mario 2.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Slime posted:

The same goes for rocket jumping in TF2. It was originally unintended back in the days of Quake, but these days TF2 has it in as a deliberate feature.
So the Heavy would be a good example of emergent gameplay?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

HMS Boromir posted:

How hard is it to figure out he's being facetious after like 10 posts of it?
I only did it because after my "Emergent gameplay is seeing the Buddha on the road and killing him" joke, some guy from GBS sent me a long-rear end PM explaining emergent gameplay, so I just decided to go with it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Minecraft's durability mechanic doesn't work. I can only assume that it exists as a mechanic to spur you into continuing to explore and mine, but exploring and mining already provide their own rewards. You already want to be doing that to get new building resources, useful items, and further upgrading your equipment, the lifespan of your equipment is actually adding nothing at all to the experience aside from frustration.
Very few of Minecraft's mechanics actually work. For that matter, the game's code barely works. It's definitely a game that achieved success in spite of the base it was built on, not because of it. I realize it will never happen, but I still hope Microsoft rebuilds it from scratch at some point. They won't - because why would you spend money improving your money-printing machine? - but it would be nice.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

Golden Sun is not an inversion of that idea. If I remember right sometime in the second game there's a twist where you actually find out that not having done anything is the correct choice and the world is only put in jeopardy because you went on your journey in the first place.

I could also be misremembering. The Golden Sun games had a bad habit of rewriting history to suit the story writer's current needs.
You're sort of remembering right. That was their intention, but the writing is so terrible and incoherent that it's hard to say what anyone's goals were or what happened.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I've never been able to understand why binding of isaac is as popular as it is. The design is piss compared to so many other roguelites.
It's a pretty competent two-stick shooter with enough randomization to keep it replayable.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Alouicious is my Posting Pal.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

Had an annoying running bug in Arkham Knight where the suit damage wasn't sticking and instead it would randomly reset to clean.
Goon interprets laundry as error.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

swamp waste posted:

Haha is this for real? Be among the first to become the mysterious new race, the Japanese Gender Roles
It's true, only Japan has that kind of gender role.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

amityville anus posted:

I would give them the stink eye
The ol' amityville anus, as they say.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

it's me

I like the borderlands games
I liked BL2 a lot but it makes so many stupid choices.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Alaois posted:

I know a lot of people get pissed that you get bad karma points for killing Roy and his friends after they wipe out Tenpenny Tower's human residents, but the karma system has never been good in any of the Fallout games so live and let die
You can kill anyone you like as long as you have some extra water bottles, so just kill them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"How honored are you?" [character holds up giant hands] "I'm DIS honored!"