Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
gently caress you, The Technomancer, I was going to beat that big-rear end bug. Don't suddenly take away control and say I needed someone to step in and save me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Kaincypher posted:

It took me the longest time, but I finally figured out what was so annoying about Dark Souls 3. Started a new playthrough for the DLC, so everything from the beginning. Rolling a pyromancer because they're the closest thing this game has to a hybrid fighter/mage class. What struck me this time, as with the time I played as a pure mage, was that this game's targeting system is bullshit. There's obviously the usual "Git Gud" and memorize where every single enemy on the map is located bullshit. Ok, I get it. But as any caster class, there is no 1st person targeting like with bows, and the auto-lock is the only way to target spells, yet is both extremely short range, and can be described as "trying it's best." You automatically aim for the center mass of a bad guy, so there's no chance of a hit if they're standing slightly above or below you on a flight of stairs. The very first Lothric Knight on the High Wall is usually a slight challenge due to low level and stats. I get the drop on him, but captain dipshit either fails to lock the target, or cant throw a fireball past a flight of steps even though the Lothric Knight is so close if either of us fell over we would be considered a married couple. Same issue with the tree boss. Giant pulsating pustules are the obvious weak spot. I'm a fire-caster attacking a tree. I should have a monster advantage. But... only if I could aim. I pretty much went full melee, since I could run up and strike at the pustules way easier than casting a spell. Since again, auto-aim just aims for center mass, never mind the obvious giant weak spots that you can't target.

So basically, unless you're on the exact same plane with perfect line-of-sight, prepare for the auto-aim to have you shoot at walls or re-orient the camera behind your character. I spent quite a bit of time swearing at a bunch of Cathedral Evangalists. They were wrecking my poo poo with a combo of long-range homing attacks, and insta-death "why is blocking even an option in this game" physical attacks. Again, fine, I know the drill. Kite and retreat, wear 'em down. But the auto-aim refused to lock on them, so even when I'm at a range where I might as well try face-loving them, it's become more a risk than just sprinting away and hoping for the best.

What it boils down to for me, is this game is a lot like the 1st few Resident Evil games. It was hard and scary on purpose, by making the controls and camera crap so the game would retain a sense of fear and helplessness even in the hands of a decent gamer. You could walk right up to a zombie and shoot from inches away with a shotgun, yet only the obtuse and mercurial game mechanics would decide if you hit the zombie, or had your face chewed off. This is any mage/miracle/pyro build for me. If I had a competent control/camera setup, or my character didn't t hurl fire/magic arrows like a limp-wristed picked-last-on-his-team elementary school kid trying out for softball, maybe it would be too easy and players could crow that they could defeat the mighty Dark Souls without a problem. But artificially cranking the difficulty by making my own character and camera the hardest foes is just poor design.

git gud

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
I hate how easily even the smallest enemies can juggle you in the original Nier.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Screaming Idiot posted:

I'm gonna buy you a hotdog.

:cawg:

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

oldpainless posted:

The Kirk hammer sucks!!!!!!

:wrong:

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Little Nightmares crashed and corrupted my save data when I was right at the end :saddowns:

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

poptart_fairy posted:

I do like how that Dead Island story has slowly escalated from "one fuckwit snuck thing code and got shitcanned when found out" to "entire team hates women and cooperated to mark them as whores". :v:

The torso though, yeesh. Marketing team or not that's something which really should have been shouted down by the suits.

Maybe, possibly, probably not but I mean it might be possible that... these two things are related.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
AND IT DOESNT EVEN LET YOU PLAY AS DR WHO!!!!

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Somfin posted:

Oh hi, you're still bringing up that one post you misread months ago for some reason. Is it really that funny to you?

It is hilarious to me, yes.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Somfin posted:

A ticking time bomb and a personal motivation are not the same thing.
Your personal motivation is finding a water chip to save your town, and most of your interactions are based on this. Literally every Fallout game gives you a personal motivation. The people who like to pretend there is some other story to the game that exists only in their heads are just loving weird.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Triarii posted:

For me, headcanon and roleplaying having nothing to do with it; the concrete fact of the matter is that I'm playing a character that spends months of in-game time exploring old factories, shooting cannibals in the head, building up farming settlements, and assembling neat guns out of piles of garbage. The narrative of "your infant son has been kidnapped by horrible people and you have to rush to rescue him right now because they're probably going to eat him" is in direct conflict with what I'm actually doing, and in fact seems to be trying to make me feel bad for exploring the world and having fun. Yeah, you can ignore that (despite the game's constant attempts to remind you) but wouldn't it be nicer if you didn't have to?

Which is a criticism that makes a hell of a lot more sense then being mad that the video game doesn't go along with things that exist only in your head and not actually in the game itself.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Monster Hunter does crafting well

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What are the worst cases of platforming in games that are not platformers? This question came to mind when I slipped off that tree branch in Blighttown, you know the one.

Cry of Fear

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Pastry of the Year posted:

Judging characters in the past by modern moral standards is a sure ticket to being unhappy with everything that wasn't written eighteen hours ago.

Good people have existed forever but they didn't always necessarily have the thoughts and ideas that took thousands of years of civilization and medicine to normalize.

Dude, the first Yakuza game came out in 2005, not the 1830s. Referring to LGBT people as “it” was not cool in 05 either.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
I loved Monster Hunter 3 and 4, but I just could never get into World because of the always online bullshit where I had to opt out of multiplayer for every mission

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

CJacobs posted:

MHW defaults to 4 player slots when you start a mission but I don't think that really changes anything unless you fire your flare. I think it stays at whatever you set for the rest of the play session if you change it on the mission select though, so it's not really a hassle to crank it down to 1 max player and leave it there.

This is what I meant, and I only had time to be playing like one mission at a time so I guess that’s better?