Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I really enjoy the Mario and Luigi RPG games, but holy poo poo do they drag you by the hand for every single concept in the game. I KNOW HOW TO BATTLE, LEAVE ME ALONE ALREADY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I recently replayed Bioshock and holy poo poo I forgot how annoying hacking was. Unless you have an auto hack tool or wanna pay out the absurd prices you better enjoy playing increasingly harder versions of pipe dream 5 million times.

Unpopular opinion, and I know I'm in the minority, but I really REALLY prefer Bioshock 2. Hacking was better, the weapons all felt better, and hell I even like the story better.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

RyokoTK posted:

I for one completely agree about Bioshock 2. The hacking is good and the combat is excellent. Blasting people with the rivet gun or speargun never got old.

I can understand people having issues with it being set in Rapture again and the story being "Hey so this woman who you literally never heard of in the entire first game was totally one of the biggest parts of Rapture's history, on par with Ryan and Fontaine. Please buy this so we can start." I liked Sofia Lamb though, she was a really great villain.

I think my problem with Bioshock's story is it felt sort of contained. I had no connection with the city and I could give a gently caress who controlled it. All the audio logs painted it as a shithole from the start run by tools who saw everyone else as 'parasites'. I know the twist makes it more personal, but even then I just felt like I wanted to save the Little Sisters and get on a boat and leave the city for whoever wanted it. Congrats, you now rule a demolished city full of insane drug addicts. Have fun.

Bioshock 2 had a villain who was actively trying to attack the surface by kidnapping girls to become Little Sisters. Sure she was crowbarred in, but Lamb was the perfect foil for Ryan.

OldTennisCourt has a new favorite as of 05:48 on Jul 13, 2014

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Bioshock Infinite is weird because I can absolutely see both people who hate it and love it. It's a gorgeous game and I actually really do love the story. It suffers from Twist syndrome in that the second play-through is nowhere near as good as the first. The problems are there though, the game play is really samey at times and the resurrection gimmick is nowhere near as well done as 1 since all that happens is Elizabeth... wakes you up I guess? Also Bioshock Infinite is THE definition of "I GUESS THE TRUTH IS IN THE MIDDLE!" with the incredibly lovely Vox Populi resolution.

Oxxidation posted:

Yes, do that. The only thing that changes from R&C 1 to the rest of the games is that Ratchet becomes less of a douche bag, and Insomniac repeatedly has this conversation: "We need to make the guns bigger. Bigger. I said bigger." *takes out megaphone* "BIGGER."

Supposedly it starts running out of steam around the fourth sequel, but the initial trilogy is golden.

All the R&C games kick rear end, the only bad one is Into the Nexus and that's only because it's obscenely short.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
South Park: Stick of Truth: The abortion QTE with Randy is horrible. The first part will simply decide to not read your inputs sometimes and I'm pretty close to convinced that the second section is near impossible. I literally can not spin the control stick any faster, I'm putting my palm on it and spinning it to the point where my palm hurts and I STILL can't do it. Holy poo poo why on earth would you make a joke QTE section this absurdly difficult?

OldTennisCourt has a new favorite as of 05:14 on Sep 6, 2014

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
So I love Resident Evil 4 and never tried 5 so I decided to Gamefly it and check it out. Holy poo poo I can't stand this game. Why on Gods green earth did they think cramming an AI companion in for the entire game was a good idea? Wow, I'm sure glad I get to juggle two inventories and deal with Sheva deciding to use herbs on me when I have barely a scratch. Oh, you're out of ammo? Maybe try to not fire your gun wildly at every enemy. Oh awesome, I'm out of ammo and I'm surrounded by enemies, well at least I can run oh wait now she's knocked down, better run to help oh poo poo she's dead.

Literally all my problems would be solved by removing the companion. I'm sure it's cool as hell in co-op, but it's a nightmare on single player. I NEVER had ammo issues in 4, but in this one I'm desperatly scrounging for ammo while Sheva wastes it as soon as she gets it, but I have to giver her some or she's dead.

I'm gonna just play 4 again.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Xoidanor posted:

Resident Evil 5 was such a disappointment. It's like someone played that one village holdout event at the beginning of RE4 and decided, "lets make an entire game that's just this".

What kills me is that 4, again, had the perfect mix of enemy placements. It was enough to be action packed and awesome, but not so many to make it a slog. 5 just doesn't stop, you'll have an assload of normal zombies, those annoying as gently caress dog monsters and maybe 1 of those fat guys that don't flinch unless you shoot a shotgun right at them. At a certain point it stops being fun and starts being a huge chore. The battle with the chainsaw zombie was horrible. In 4 you had plenty of room to get away from him and he'd stagger, in this the dude will soak up like 6 shotgun blasts and you're forced to just run up and down the map while his buddies plink at you too.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Alteisen posted:

FF8 owns though and is way better than 7.

If it was 9, then you would have a point.

FF 9 loving rules and has the most likable lead in the entire Playstation FF series. Sure the villains sorta suck but the entire game is gorgeous, the battle system is awesome and the story is pretty fun.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Austrian mook posted:

actually that's Cecil and it's not particularly close IMO

Notice how I said playstation series.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I really wish there was an option in the Assassin's Creed games to opt out of the modern sections. I seriously could not care less about some stupid, already dated as hell END OF THE WORLD 2012 garbage. Also Desmond is astonishingly boring. 4 was okay and actually interesting at first but then within a couple trips to the modern world you realize exactly where it's going and where's it's going to end.

OldTennisCourt has a new favorite as of 01:12 on Oct 10, 2014

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Austrian mook posted:

I couldn't get into Saints Row 4 for the very same reasons people cite it as one of the best games of the year.

Because it's fun?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Who on earth thought that the Deadlift boss fight from Borerlands: The Pre-Sequel was a good idea? A boss fight in a 3 tiered arena that you constantly have to jump around in with reduced gravity, against a dude who fire homing electrical attacks and who can make entire tiers of the structure deadly by electrifying the floor? And he CONSTANTLY JUMPS AROUND. Let's not forget the whole shield thing which means you need to keep on him at all times. Having jumping puzzles and poo poo in a 1st person shooter that isn't Portal is already really loving annoying but having to utilize it in a boss fight is really stupid.

And he's super early in the game too. His electrical attacks kick the poo poo out of you in seconds. The cherry on top is that it's very likely you're on a tier with no other enemies, meaning it's impossible to revive and keep going.

Holy poo poo this fight is beyond annoying.;

OldTennisCourt has a new favorite as of 23:09 on Jan 10, 2015

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Crowetron posted:

Would you believe the boss fights actually get worse? Because they get so much worse. By the end of the game, I was feeling nostalgic for Borderlands 2's BUNK3R or whatever his name was.

Is it worth trying to plow through? I'm finding it's the worst of all three games so far.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Jaramin posted:

It is absolutely the worst of the 3 games. The bosses are horrible, loot drops are even worse, the areas are either samey or annoying to traverse, and the game as a whole feels like Borderlands 2.5.
That said, it has more interesting set pieces than either of the other two games, they got away from the "wacky, zany" humor that dominated every aspect of Borderlands 2(kinda), it gives you your action skill at level 3 instead of 5, and it adds frost damage while ditching the miserable pile of poo poo that was the slag mechanic from BL2.
If you have friends, you'll enjoy asphyxiating each other.

I'm not going to lie, ClapTrap's action skill is really REALLY fun and kind of makes me want to keep playing just for it.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

DStecks posted:

Has anything but the original cartoon ever used Harley as anything but fanboy fodder?

The Injustice comic has a pretty good portrayal of Harley. The Injustice comic in general is one of the weirdest cases of being really really bad at times and really awesome at other times.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Okay so I just started Shadows of Mordor, can someone tell me if I just have bad luck or is it normal to run into about 600000 named captains when you're trying to kill just one. I just want to loving kill this one dude and suddenly Aroth the eye crusher, Tibart the Bone cruncher, Zizak the Face Smasher, Alpoc the Soul Stealer and 40 others suddenly show up.

Not to mention the hundreds of little guys who just swarm you. Good lord this game doesn't gently caress around.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

im pooping! posted:

Cherish these moments because the day will come when you actively avoid killing captains because you're capable of steamrolling everything onscreen.

Should I just avoid killing these guys and focus on main story missions at this point? I was just loving around trying to find herbs for those little foraging missions when about a million captains loving beat my rear end out of nowhere and I thought about killing one but gently caress that at this point.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

ElGroucho posted:

I'm annoyed that the Joker is always the main focus of the games. So many great, memorable villains, and all the writers can't leave the Joker out of a single game.

Knight is shaping up to be Scarcrow and new villain centric. I haven't seen any mentions of him appearing.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo does Shadow of Mordor not gently caress around. "What's that? You want to explore and find artifacts? gently caress YOU here's 10 billion orks and 40 named captains after you, go gently caress yourself."

I know the combat is fun and the captain system is cool but there has to be some balance between no enemies and a metric fuckton bearing down on you at every moment

OldTennisCourt has a new favorite as of 23:11 on Mar 4, 2015

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

muscles like this? posted:

I've been replaying Saints Row 4 on the PS4 and its amazing how lackluster the radio is. I'm not sure the actual count but every station feels like it just has 5 songs that you're going to hear over and over again.

I agree but the SR games do have something up on GTA in the ability to easily create your own custom station which is a pretty great move. If they gave you GTA's variety of music it'd be even better because, as you said, there's not a whole lot there.

Speaking of SR 3, 45% of the missions you go on are just one level of the various activities in the game. That's pretty immensely lazy.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
So I'm replaying MK 9 before I check out the new one and holy poo poo did I forget how much of a chore Shao Khan was. Why the gently caress would you put in a boss where the only reliable way of beating him is to cheese him with uppercuts and even then he'll sometimes decide " Nah., gently caress you" and destroy you with one combo. MK 9 in general has a really weird difficulty issue. The challenge tower will throw a few super easy challenge then hit you with a fight that's nigh impossible, like a hyper speedy Mileena who can teleport about 50 times a second.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

John Murdoch posted:

I'm a fighting game novice to begin with so my perspective is way different, but when I was playing through the story mode I would start getting the hang of it for about 2-3 fights, then suddenly a fight would come up that I'd have to try at least six times. Usually the bullshit 1v2 fights in particular. And this was after turning the difficulty down because I couldn't even get past the opening fight against Reptile on Normal.

That two on one fight where you're Reptile vs Jax and Sonya can gently caress off. Jax is easy enough if you can keep him from grabbing you and kicking your rear end, but Sonya has two different 5 hit combos that shred you in seconds and she can actually get you with one and then IMMEDIATELY nail you with the other.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

queserasera posted:

Tower of Hanoi-style puzzles, the ones where you have to move X to Y but you only have a certain number of placements or ways to stack the whatevers or a time limit or some other kind of banal bullshit. Come to think of it, any immersive game with some sort of out-of-game math or logic puzzle dump-in makes me grumpy. It's filler, and crappy filler at that.

I'm good with those puzzles but I, for the life of me, can never solve sliding tile puzzles, anytime one pops up in a game I immediately realize I'm about to hit a brick wall.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
^ I guess I could see Legion fighting, but Tali's whole thing is being a tech genius, hell one of her attacks is creating a little robo buddy to help her, she's another obvious choice to go into the vents over fighting.

CowboyKid posted:

I wouldn't ask Tali or Legion to either.

Every cutscene has Mordin using technology, led me to believe he'd be able to open the vents.

Legion is literally a robot though who, as I recall right, can call upon the collective technical knowledge of every single other Geth in existence. He seems like a pretty clear cut choice over a doctor. That's like saying you see a brain surgeon operating his laptop, obviously he knows how to work advanced tech!

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Jastiger posted:

I felt Ashley in ME1 was pretty well done without bring overt. Having her be a Christian, know it was weird, and using her space racism to kind of defend it was interesting. She was a Conservative space racist because everyone blamed her dad for the biggest loss in that First Contact War. She has a chip on her shoulder the size of Wrex. She's really kind of pragmatic about the whole thing.

What was weird is that even though you save the galaxy and each others lives over and over, they never have her grow. She's still a space racist and Jesus lover till the end, though she pays lip service. Her character weakness isnt that she's wrong on stuff, it's that pretty much everyone else grows as a person while she's the static girl.

Plus she has loving pink armor. What the gently caress power Rangers poo poo is that?

Yeah Ashley was an interesting character in ME1 but to have her STILL be a complete tool after all the poo poo she went through with her crew in the first game was completely absurd.The most annoying part about her scene in ME2 was her flipping her poo poo when you mentioned Cerberus. Even after you explain that you're just working for them to solve the mystery and they kind of brought you back from the dead she still acts like you've been slaughtering innocent aliens by the dozens for kicks.

OldTennisCourt has a new favorite as of 03:53 on May 6, 2015

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That poo poo was really dumb. I wanted to go all Adam Jensen and be "I NEVER ASKED FOR THIS" but they wouldn't listen to "hey you shits, I was loving dead" even when you tell them exactly that. It's like they expected Shepard to be clutching a DNR at all times in case a bunch of racist mad scientists found his corpse.

I really wish they could have had Garrus or any of your other alien pals from the first game to basically tell her to gently caress off when she goes "Heh, I mean I still kinda hate aliens buuuuut you're a dick for being with Cerberus". You're still a hateful jackass even after Liara or Wrex saved your rear end multiples times during the game?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but I really really wish they would just cut out the modern day aspects of the Assassin's Creed series. Desmond's entire story-line is devastatingly boring and I just want to stay with the past lives. Black Flag was at least semi-interesting, but even then you know EXACTLY what the plot's going to be about 5 minutes in.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I actually really like the historical stuff, if you completely excised the modern day poo poo about Desmond and his boring friends I'd eat up every single game in the series. The tailing is really annoying but there's something awesome about stealthy taking guys out before anyone notices.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Trying Crysis 2 for the first time and it just feels really weird. It's like it wants to be stealthy, but the massive open areas, constant brightness, enemies that will gang up and destroy you in seconds just destroy it. I can't even enjoy it as a straight shooter because the weapons feel really weak and lame. The whole game is just...off in a weird way.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

ElGroucho posted:

I read some quick things about the story and said "gently caress that". How do you gently caress up the plot of a shooter so much that I don't want to play it? Also, the best parts of that game were before the alien bullshit.

The best way I could put it is that it feels like someone saw the start of Half Life 2 and went "poo poo, let's add some stealth and visor mechanics to this!". It's the same sort of oppressive government/alien thing but it's so badly implemented.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Yeah the only times I ever really felt like I desperately needed a mod for a game was so I could just drop all the modern day stuff from the AC games. The only one to make it halfway interesting was 4 and even then I was way more interested in the main plot

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Deceitful Penguin posted:

:psyduck:

Being accused of being boring by a man that enjoys some of the worst writing in the already awful medium of videogames is certainly a way to start your day.

It certainly was by far the biggest thing dragging down Borderlands, a game that got on very well with way less story before and has only gotten worse as time went on.

You seem strangely pissed off at people enjoying a video game you don't like

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
This is more a weird thing than a major annoyance.

I LOVE Bioshock 2. It takes everything the first game did an improves it, story, gunplay, hacking, everything is better. Except for one very weird moment

See, to get the Savior achievement your have to play the game as a good guy. Simple poo poo like don't harvest the Little Sisters is easy. Then there are three major moments

1. Don't kill Grace. This makes a ton of sense. She's pretty much just attacking you based on bad info so killing her is pointless.

2. Don't Kill Stanley. Again, makes sense. He's an evil poo poo, but he's unarmed and cowering.

But here's the weird one. You will meet Gil Alexander. A dude who Sofia pumped full of so much Adam that he became this awful, insane creature that is kept in a tank of water. He left recordings BEGGING to die, hell he tells you how to kill him. Wouldn't the good thing be to end his suffering? He's literally out of his mind and this awful half alive creature. It's so weird.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

CJacobs posted:

The Gil Alexander choice has bothered people ever since the game came out for the same reason, so you're not alone, don't worry.

It just bugs me because otherwise the game rules. You could make a strong argument to Sofia being bolted onto Bioshock's story but she's such an awesome villain that I don't care at all, I much prefer her to Bioshock 1's big bad.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I mean, would Gil even survive outside of the tank? He was basically a huge insane fetus. How could he even protect himself?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I'm playing Skyrim for the first time and it just seems weird that early missions (going after that horn thing for the Greybeards) send you through places where overleveled things gently caress you up. Why am I fighting Frost Trolls and getting destroyed so quick and then I gotta start from the beginning of the quest.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
That one sucks. but the worse one is on your way to the horn you'll more than likely go through this ruin which has multiple frost trolls running around and you need to bolt to make sure you don't get slaughtered.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

dordreff posted:

Another big-rear end problem with those fights that happened to me a few times was that if you did accidentally hit one of your own dudes, everyone on your side instantly knew about it and marked you as an enemy. Even members of the faction who weren't there will often mark you as an enemy and attack you on sight when you go to turn in the quest.

At the very start I see some dudes fighting a giant and I'm like "yayyyy I'll help!" and I accidentally tap one dude and suddenly I'm public enemy number one and I'm not allowed in the loving city until they kill me.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The turret section in Dead Space can seriously gently caress off forever. So you're on this big rear end cannon and you have to shoot asteroids. Okay whatever but maybe a nice change of pace. gently caress you.

1. The shields start at 85 just to be an extra gently caress you.
2. The thing is way too twitchy and hard to accurately shoot.
3. The asteroids are small and really hard to hit.
4. THERE ARE WAAAAAAAAAAAY TOO MANY OF THEM. Seriously, you have to have the reaction of a god to hit every single one of them.
5. Shields go and you're dead.
6. THE CANNON CAN OVERHEAT. This is unforgivable. Basically you can't just keep blasting, which would make this still hard as hell, but you have to actually conserve fire, making this wayyyyy worse.
7. It's right after a really annoying section where you have to hid behind little barriers or, oops, INSTANT KILL DUE TO ASTEROIDS!

gently caress that entire section.

OldTennisCourt has a new favorite as of 20:23 on Dec 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

SiKboy posted:

And point 9. The asteroids are random, not predetermined, so any time anyone complains about this bullshit section someone pipes up "Well I got through it no problem". You can make it slightly easier (or mitigate the heat issue at least) by using one cannon til its near overheating then switching to the other (IIRC anyway) but if the RNG decides to gently caress you it can still be literally unwinnable.

The best is that it can start off easy and you're like "Oh man I got it!" and then suddenly like 15 of those asteroids that explode into little asteroids pop up and destroy you.