Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

LaserBaconMan posted:

Or you can just get their attention, go to the alarm, break out your lightsaber and keep slashing. Nobody can go through you to reach the alarm and they don't bother firing at you. :allears:

The carnage. :black101:

You can also jump up to a platform and trickjump (maybe strafe-jump) up a slope to the end of the level skipping every single stealth section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Heavy Lobster posted:

The whole "un-fun achivement" thing isn't meant for players, it's meant for devs. Widespread achievements in games is an incredibly easy and elegant way for developers to track what content in their games is getting done by what percentage of the buyer population and allows them to adjust future releases accordingly.

But doesnt that basically show that 99% of gamers are idiots and wont even get past the tutorial section, which in turn causes devs to front-load all their content instead of making an interesting game all the way through to the end? It just seems to me that the best games aren't necessarily made with the lowest common denominator in mind. Devs need to put more trust in the gamers, trust that we will find your drat content!

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

...of SCIENCE! posted:

No, because that is how games have been developed for literally the entire existence of the medium.

Counter-point: dark souls. And possibly system shock 2, stalker shoc, thief 1 & 2, jedi outcast and of course; deus ex. That about sums up all the good games in existence.

Edit: forgot Iji by Daniel Remar, and everything by Matt Thorson before he sold his soul to adult swim.

Curdy Lemonstan has a new favorite as of 13:33 on Nov 27, 2014

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Even dark souls, the pinnacle of gaming, had a girl with huge tits. As a gamer and a human, I'm dissapointed in the state of games today.

[Edit] STALKER fixed this entire problem in the best possible way imho: no girls allowed, only muscular russian men.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
loving GTA V. It has alot of problems, lack of a powertrip, plot with the theme of "crime DOESN'T pay" stuck way up in the rear end, too much bickering that only sets the tone like 45 hours into the game when the tone is already set. Its car garage systems is still terrible for some reason. Way too few heist missions.

But these things are all fine. What I did. Not. Want. To. Pay. For. Was the pathetic loving edgyyy plot. I did not want to go through the torture scene, I didn't think it was hilarious when trevor said he murdered Rons friends, I hated it when trevor murdere the husband and wife after making their house his base of operations.

Dan houser obviously thinks he is way smarter than every consumer out there, what with all the scenes where the main characters make fun of fat white gamer stand-ins.

I started out being mad. Now I feel ashamed. I actually haven't felt shame about gaming up until now. I spent money on this. It just is so incredibly mean-spirited and juvenile and awkward and I hate it. When did Rockstar Games start resenting the consumers so much?

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Skyrim is like a klepto-simulator. Its all about sucking up endless amounts of lesser soul gems and coins (32) and metal bars and everywhere you go you clean the place. Go through every bookcase. An infinite amount of everything, the game is like a cycle.

Its like enter dungeon>murder>suck everything up like a savage vacuum cleaner>get out again and again with small stops where you craft/stash/sell all poo poo. The wheel keeps spinning. Oh this cave belongs so Oolag malbadur the kinkshaming bandit? I didnt notice was too busy hoovering all the poo poo up.
Where in the wheel are you? Oh my level-wheel got to cycle 5 so now i can use my shield to slow time, making fights even more trivial and even more slowed down and in the end i realize that time has no meaning in skyrim. Quests are just shallow set dresses for getting to new places where you can steal more useless stuff. Oh i got a Badass Spiky Mace OH MY GOD SOMETHING ACTUALLY MADE BY A PERSON! A living breathibg programmer decided what stats this mace have!!!!!!!! Its like catching a glimpse of humanity in the ever spinning wheel of randomized kleptomania. My random sword of _tier[number] with level specific damage and modifiers is miles ahead of any human made loot, but since youre so numbed by the wheel of loot you still get excited over havig something like that at all. The wheel continues. Soon all human made content will be swept up by the protagonist and all that remains is the wheel, with you, the shiva of vacuuming in the middle. Running and jumping and wondering why the gently caress am i loving playong this fuckig game??? The story is poo poo and thats when you stop playing.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

RyokoTK posted:

It's really nice that Hotline Miami 2 doesn't fix a single loving problem that the first game had. Since the gameplay is more about gunfights, rushing to a big pile of guns and grabbing the only empty shotgun in the mix is an intensely frustrating and stupid way to die. The complete inconsistency of which enemies aggro when you fire a gun (this time he heard me, but that time he didn't), or even where they are when you start a level, is nonsense too; when a single floor can have 20 enemies with guns, and you have to play perfectly or die immediately, enemy behavior has to be consistent and it's not at all. Also the level design is such balls.

(I just finished level 11, which is really lovely, and I'm just mad about it :argh:)

No, you are an idiot. Hotline miame 1 & 2 is not in any way about route optimization and muscle memory. The enemies walk random paths for a reason: you have to be quick and think on your feet. Its genius and the fact that you are a grumpy sperg pining for some good old speedrun-gameplay wont change that. gently caress you

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Austrian mook posted:

Wow, youre actually dumber then i thought you were. Im stunned. Every single human readig that post understands im talking about dynamic switching in the middle of battle, you know like in DMC, Bayonetta, W101. Any other game in the same genre as rising. But please, by all means fulfill your fantasy of owning someone youre never going to meet on the internet. loving idiot.

Lmao chill bro

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Whats bringing bloodborne down for me is that i have work, gf to care for, partying to do and an exam to finish + app programming and working out to do before i can even look at my newly bought ps4.

I just wanna clear my schedule and do some major smokage but nooooo, I have to give a poo poo about my life.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Unreal engine 3.
Its a floaty plastic cum-covered garbage mess. Dishonored is the only game i can think of with fun gameplay. Human revolution was fine too i guess???

I just cant stand it. Its loose, floaty, bulky and lovely. Its pretty telling that in the grand age of UE3 we got gears of war as a 'gaming milestone'

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

im pooping! posted:

lol bro i was looking at the list and saw the batman games, bioshock 3 and all the borderlands games as using UE3

i stopped reading it at that point

Batman is a bad game covered in "good game make-up", the rest of those games are utter poo poo

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Git gud

DrBouvenstein posted:

I feel like there's far more enemies in Bloodborne that are able to completely stun-lock you and kill you in what is essentially "one" hit.

Oh sure, it might actually be five or six hits, but seeing as I am completely helpless after the first one, you might as well just have them do one mega attack and one-shot me, because all you're doing with these small damage/high poise (though there is no more poise, so I'm not sure what stat is getting used) attacks is pissing me off more as I helplessly fumble to roll or move out of the way.

git gud

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Mildly Amusing posted:

I've given up on caring about stories in video games in general. Most of them just aren't worth the price of admission, even the "good ones", and now all I care for is gameplay. But, of course, this only started happening to me once every game company decided they have to put more emphasis on story instead. I just want to play games that require some degree of skill, and not some lame-rear end drama in a zombie apocalypse, or a point-n-click adventure game.

This. So much. And honestly system shock 2 did it in the best and least intrusive way possible. AUDIO LOGS

It does not interrupt gameplay! Endless amount of exposition suddenly gets enjoyable when i can play at the same time.

Just please modern fps games, please give me an actual space to navigate around in!

Remember when the level designers of old worked with brushes and textures? Instead of imported models and flow charts? gently caress it does anyone care about level desigm anymore? The id team's level designers actually studied lots of Architechture.

Please just plink me down outside a loving building and let me work my way in at my own pace. Put some guards or whatever just no more setpieces/corridors.

And open world games are universally generic in their randomness and 'emergent gameplay' is dead.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

RyokoTK posted:

What exactly is "emergent gameplay" supposed to be besides a buzzword, anyway? Also nice grandpa post there, grandpa. :corsair:

Exactly. All new games are terrible(not dark souls1, demons souls and bloodborne). I have spoken.

I just want a loving building to clear out. No open world poo poo, no setpieces, it dpesnt have to be on fire and blowing up. Just a drat building.

And i am seriously starting to believe that the step away from brushes to 3d models in level design is a straight up art-killer, just complete poo poo.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
WOMEN ARE PUT ON EARTH FOR US STRONG BOLD MEN TO PROTECT, HOWEVER, LET ME FANTASIZE FOR 60+ HOURS ABOUT HOW WOMEN WILL GET IN DANGER SO I CAN ACTUALLY SAVE THEM. I AM SUCH A HERO AND I DONT WANT LARA CROFT TO BE TORN UP BY A BRANCH OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND UNNNGHHHH GOOOD IM CUMMINNNNGGGG OHHH I LOVE PROTECTING FRAIL WOMEN AND FANTASIZING ABOUT HOW THEY GET HURT SO I CAN SAVE THEM AND GET SEX

*sploooooooooogeee*

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
I love it when women bleed so i can feel something. I cant feel anything without a vulnerable woman bleeding.

Its just amazing to me how you can take lara croft, a big boobed babe, and somehow gently caress up her strengths as a female protagonist even more. Atleast she was strong and didnt give no fucks in the other games, scabtily clad but w/e. Now she is vulnerable and designed to make menchildren want to protect her which is just hilarious.

At no point in the development anyone said: "wait, this is stupid and makes us seem like perverts from the 1950s".

It's embarassing really. And actually stands out in a sea of embarassing video games.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

ElGroucho posted:

So should I play this game or not? I'm confused.

What if I don't care about Lara Croft because she is an imaginary character in a video game; will I be safe then, or am I going to have PTSD like the rest of these goons?

You will feel shame. And then anger.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

The developers have also come out and said that they intended to make Lara weak and passive because they want players to protect her. It is disturbing, no matter how much Poptart Fairy wants to whine that it isn't inbetween their screaming matches about Gamergate poo poo.

In Uncharted or Deadspace they never do that - the characters may start weaker or with limited weapons but they're never crying and making sad pouty faces before getting skewered through the face. They never linger on the character weakly grimacing and groaning while pawing at a stake through their face, and half of them are almost comedic (ie Drake failing to hold on in the airplane sequences and just flying off into the sky). It's always matter of fact YOU DIED, most of the time without you even seeing the character's face or reaction before they bite the dust.

They also don't have an attempted rape scene where a man chokes them to death for trying to escape being raped and that becomes their catalyst for turning into a mass murderer or defending themselves. You might be able to argue that it isn't meant to be nauseating if they had not included that, or the fact that they plan for the sequel to be taken up by a large portion of Lara getting therapy for PTSD.

This guy gets it.

And to everybody else: if you feel any emotions at all besides "gently caress yeah I killed that evil baddie" or "aw man i died", in a video game you are the autist. Jesus christ go outside more.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Coca Koala posted:

The camera in Dark Souls is lovely as hell and there's no way anybody can defend it.

No the camera in dark souls is a tool, just like your estus and weapons and firebomb, a tool to survive in a world not made for your amusement, but rather for a grandness that shakes the very notion of what games truly are.

I bought syndicate fps is it good?

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

death .cab for qt posted:

Syndicate is a decent shootmans with a dumb plot that you will either be all "meh" about or eat up like the piece of poo poo you are, basically

As long as I can just shoot mans and not have to overload my autist brain with emotions and impactful choices I'm perfectly robotic uh i mean content.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Len posted:

Then boy will you love being a programmed cyborg for a megacorp. It's all "shoot the bad mans. The non-bad mans can be shot too. Whatever."

I enjoyed it other than I wasn't a big enough jack-booted thug.

I can perform collateral damage all over innocent bystanders and it fits with the game? SOLD

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Dark souls 2 is pretty bland. Its worse in most ways apart from bland quality of life improvements. Its stale and the depopulation mechanic is one of many gameplay elements that is used by the level designers to be lazy about encounters and levels (this is really the biggest crime and most sorrowful fail). The weapons dont have that oomph either.

However: get agl up to 25 and the dodging is pretty dang good. Weaving left - right, it works well with the armoured dudes. And build variety too! Lots more spells, its fun. There are many bosses and lots of big hunking armoured dudes to dodge and weave around. Its enjoyable in that regard.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Krinkle posted:

I have no goddamn idea if wearing multiple +item find armor stacks. Or if they stack with a coin. They took away my item find stat from the statistics menu. But I still do it. Got me a predator face from the belltower invader that I wear with my belltower diapers.

The thing dragging DS2 down was how do you loving go into a goddamn standing structure windmill mountain, you can look straight up, there's a windmill, that's it, that's loving it, windmill and sky, how do you go inside the windmill, go up an elevator and enter a hell lava dimension. What the gently caress sense does that make? You could have gone down with that elevator, geniuses!

The level design and overall world design is terrible. Such a let down from ds1. I think the most baffling decision is huntsmans copse. Shortcut from bonfire to bonfire, then no ladder down to bonfire from end of level (just before the hanging bridge). :psyduck:

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
System shock 2 > all of your stupid 'shocks so play that and never waste your breath again on the lovely watered down bioFucks.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Bioshit: infantile

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

khwarezm posted:

SS2 is quite overrated and has the single dumbest ending I have ever seen in a video-game. It still baffles me that nobody ever brings it up when that game is mentioned which makes me suspect that quite a few people(particularly those who claim its the best thing ever) never bothered to actually finish the game.

Your right, and in any event you see a bunch of populi before they turn being all 'Holy poo poo, Booker Dewitt! This is so awesome! Its an honour to fight alongside you, I thought you were dead' then they all flip around and desperately try to kill you on Fitzroy's demand with no dissent, its so badly done.

The ending to ss2 is godawful but hilarious so its fine anyway, the main gameplay is 10/10

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Yeah there are no online-only items in DS1 anymore. Every covenant with an online component can be grinded for instead. Co-op and invasions. They are actually arguably faster to do that way than online play.

It's still a dumb and obscure system, but really the only standouts are Darkmoon Blade (objectively equal at its most grindiest level to Sunlight Blade) and Sunlight Spear (worthless for PVP and most of PVE because it is so slow and has so few casts)

Otherwise it's all gravelord stuff which is just outright bad in comparison to pyromancy, which fulfills the exact same roles

Darkmoon blade is better than sunlight blade when you're rankef up to +3 (that means grinding for 80 souvernirs of reprisal).
These are the exact numbers.

Sunlight blade: Magadjust * 1.8

Darkmoon Blade (per covenant level):
+0: magadj * 1.8
+1: magadj * 1.9
+2: magadj * 2.0
+3: magadj * 2.1

Darkmoon blade at max level is the strongest weapon buff in the game, but it is for Faith, which means the mag adjust is dependent on talismans while intelligence uses catalysts, I'm not sure what the best talisman is, but i think a crystal magic weapon is (wit only magadj * 1.4) comes pretty close to darkmoon blade because of the tin crystallisation catalysts absurd magadjust.

The best talisman at 99 faith is darkmoon talisman with 240 magadjust, theoretically giving a buff that puts 240 * 2.1 = 480 + 24 = 504 damage at most.

The best catalyst, tin crystal catalyst ha 315 magadjust with 99 intelligence which gives a theoretical max of 315 * 1.4 = 315 + 126 = 441 damage.

So basically; start grinding them souvernirs in painted world!

Also you might think that great lightning spear is another bad locked-behind-online-play miracle, but sunlight spear is much better anyways and you get it from murdering gwyn. So that leaves dragon bro covenant which is honestly pretty useless and only good for gimmick builds.

Curdy Lemonstan has a new favorite as of 08:36 on Aug 13, 2015

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

It also deals Magic damage, which many enemies resist more than lightning, meaning it ends up balancing out about even overall with Sunlight Blade, which is a set magadj*1.8 Lightning spell

That's another dumb part of the game, though: everything resist magic, which makes grinding for that powerful of a spell only slightly better than the option that requires killing the boss of your covenant. They scale off the same stats, so if you make DMB better, SLB gets better. There's no point in the game where you can really say "okay, I'm definitely glad I'm dealing magic damage instead of lightning", but there is an entire branch of the main game where magic damage is useless and lightning owns bones.

Oh word! I didnt think that darkmoon blade used magic, since it's faith based. Sunlight blade is probably the better option then (except for ornstein, and uhm like gwyn?).
But darkmoon talisman is still the best talisman, so for ~*~<*{lore friendly}*>~*~ reasons all proper aspergers should use darkmoon blade with darkmoon talismans.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

This only applies if your FTH is around 40-50 though, because much like Logan's Catalyst, the overall scaling doesn't kick in for Darkmoon Talisman until a crazy high FTH. :v:

It's on paper better, but if you're just going for a DEX/FTH build to buff weapons you will probably stop FTH at 30 so you can get the majority of good scaling off FTH while also having enough souls left over to boost DEX. 50 FTH is more of a NG+ goal.

Yeah thats true, 50 faith is specially a ng+ goal if you want the sunlight spear. It's a shame str/faith builds aren't more viable, that woghammer (Grant, right) you get from the paladin is great. It really is a shame that the split damage types are as useless as they are, some really cool weapons for faith are totally pointless because of it.

(Luckily demons souls is great for str/faith builds)

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
I love jedi outcast but that level is a big gently caress you to the player. Don't worry. Soon you will be a completely unstoppable force of nature.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

gohuskies posted:

Yeah Jedi Knight 2 has good parts but I think most folks would be well advised to skip right to Jedi Academy. JA has one of the worst fan fic-style Mary Sue stories in entire Star Wars EU, which is a very bold statement that I think is fair in this case, but the gameplay is good and there is lots of fun lightsabering of bad dudes.

I really don't agree. Jedi Academy is a lot more boring generally. Jedi outcasts laser fights actually feel deadly and impactful. I JA you just meet some rear end in a top hat jedi in the very first map. That sucks.

Jedi Outcast, for all it's faults, has a great sense of ebb and flow in the level design, and you get extremely powerful later on, which wouldnt be as awesome if you didnt have to work for it.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Action Tortoise posted:

don't take the bait, man.

Seriously though there is a scary huge amount of misogynistic 'bait' thrown around these forums lately. Its pretty terrible and gbs is completely terrible in that regard.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Nuebot posted:

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it was supposed to be a goat and the game started off a bit crazier and more morrowindy but really early on they were like "No, that's too interesting. Lets make it more like Oblivion. We had horses in Oblivion." So instead of cool war goats you have horses.

Honestly i think Skyrim was a boring mediocre mess from the ground up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Mister Adequate posted:

CJ's stats in SA were great and y'all are bustas for claiming otherwise. :colbert:

But the stat system in san andreas was ONLY an excuse to make cj into an unstoppable force if nature in late game, which both gta 4 and 5 lacked.