Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

BOTW had one of the most disappointing moments I ever felt in a video game.

In the game you can tame wild horses, ride them to a stable and register them along with giving them a name.

Unfortunately horses are by far the lamest of all video game mounts, but you can ride and tame other animals as well.
I managed to tame a doe, a female deer, and had an idea, I would try to register her.

So I rode her all the way too the nearest stable and spoke to the stable master.
And sure enough, he started the registration speech, I was so excited I was going to save Hyrule from the back of a cute deer!
Then he cuts off his speech to yell at me that you can only register horses, I was actually pretty sad I couldn't do this.

I was gonna name her Raspberry! :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Hector Delgado posted:

In Greedfall you can have 2 companions in your party. It seems to be a decent sized game, I'm going on 45 hours so far. Lots of combat and it seems each npc has maybe 3 battle phrases. In a bossfight, you'll hear the same line repeated like 10 times in 3 minutes. It's driving me crazy.

A bit of poison on my blade and let's go!

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

oldpainless posted:

Backbone looks really cool and has a unique concept (dystopian noir detective mystery with anthropomorphic animals) but really goes off the rails the last 2 hours or so

Yeah, a lot of people, including me, were really disappoint with how Backbone turned out.
The kickstarter promised a hell of a lot more mechanics and story, but it just kind of, stopped.

According to the developer they completely changed their mind over what kind of story they wanted too tell near the end of development.
But at the same time the whole game feels like a mismanaged kickstarter project that ran out of money, so the quality peaks with the prologue chapter and just kept dropping until the game ends at what feels like what is supposed to be the end of act 1.

Either way it's a shame how it turned out.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

This is a major issue I have with video games in general, you have a huge world full of colourful, interesting races, and the game forces you to play as a boring human.

The worst I've seen is Ni No Kuni 2, the world has entire kingdoms made up of various animal people, a kingdom of merfolk and a kingdom that has advanced robots.
And the whole plot is getting them to overcome their differences and unite.

So you'd think your party would be made up of a member from each race and over the course of the game they'd learn to work together or something, right?

Nope, your party is made up of five humans and one human with cat ears.
Granted, one of the party members is the president of what is heavily implied to be the United States, and his weapon is gun, and that rules.
But he alone doesn't make up for the game dropping the ball on its own message.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Leal posted:

Been playing Streets of Rogue with my brothers and I gotta say, what drags it down is how pointless a bunch of the mechanics in the game are. You got different character types who do different things, there is all kinds of gear and gadgets, you can befriend NPCs and convince them to give you stuff or buy things off them...

But none of them compare to simply smashing things and people. I could lockpick a locked door, or I can just knock and then punch the person who opens it. If its wooden I can just smash the door down. I could hack cameras or security systems... Or I can just punch the cameras to break them, just 2 punches is all it takes. Whats that, a prison with multiple locked doors and a computer that controls them? I'm a dumb wrestler who can't use computers? No problem, just punch the computer and all the doors unlock. Locked steel doors with safes in them? Just kill one NPC and they considerately drop both a key and the combination to the safe.

We've done 3 full runs and they all kinda play out the same: Sell all the mission rewards so we have money for ammunition and keep a baseball bat and a sword on hand for when the ammo runs out. Safe crackers? Landmines? Teleportation items? Why bother when I can kill and/or smash everything?

I think it's because you're playing as a group, so just rushing in and blasting everything is way easier.

Playing solo, particularly as a non-combat class, makes that strategy a lot harder since even if you succeed you're spending a lot of resources.

Like, if I tried to shoot my way in through building full of goons as the hacker, chances are I'm going to lose a lot of health and spend a lot of ammo, both of which can get expensive to replace, so doing that for every building is not a great option.

But if I turn their security system against them I can whittle them down before even entering.
Or I can use the shape shifter to steal the body of the guy guarding the door, and just stroll on in.

Same with gadgets, trying to murder the shop keeper for their key is a lot harder when it turns everyone against you and it ends up as a 5 vs 1 fight.
But using the Hateorator on them so they die attacking their own guards means I can just nonchalantly wander in and grab the key after the carnage has settled.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

JackSplater posted:

Looking at the steam preview, it looks like a) your floating buddy pulses to the beat, and b) so does most of the UI even without the beat counter?

Everything pulses to the beat, including some objects and lights in the area.

Your attacks also sync up too the beat as well, so you don't have worry about trying to start a combo on the beat, you only need to hit an attack button as soon as an attack lands, the only thing to keep in mind is your light attack hits every beat, your heavy attack skips a beat and certain combos require you to "rest" for a beat.

Hell even enemies attack on the beat so you can incorporate dodges into your beat combos.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

There was the first Final Fantasy game.

It had a spell called AMUT or Anti-mute, basically it cured silence.
Problem was there are only like 4 enemies in the whole game that cast it and if I remember right enemies used their abilities as part of a rotation rather than randomly so unless you dragged the fight out you would never see it.

In fact for the longest time most people, most notably Seanbaby, swore that no enemy could actually cast MUTE.

But the fact that AMUT, unlike most spells, did what it was supposed to do puts it above many spells.
At least it wasn't a debuff spell that actually buffed enemies.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Read After Burning posted:

Oh, I HATE that! What other games do that? There's one huge example out there but it's not coming to me at the moment...

A lot of arcade ports during the SNES and even Playstation era would pull this, particularly brawlers, fighting games and SHUMPS.

If a game had something like seven stages the game would end at stage three on easy mode and stage five on normal, so you had to play on hard to finish the game.

But what was dickish was sometimes it was only the western version that pulled that, and what's worse the western version also had its difficulty jacked up on all modes when compared to the Japanese original.

Working Designs was kind of infamous for that crap.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

credburn posted:

Biomutant is an alright game, but I sure wish the narrator would shut the gently caress up. He just interjects constantly, and often times it's utter nonsense. Like, you'll just be heading from point A to B and suddenly he'll say, "This is important!"

Or "You're on an adventure!"

And the dialogue is so weird. Nothing lines up. I'll have the option to say something like, "You must know more than you're telling me," but then the response is something bizarre like "Regards you and wishes you well." What?

When I get out of my mech he sometimes says something relevant like, "It's on your feet for now!" but sometimes he says "You'd better get back, quick!" which makes me think... I need to get back, quick? But no, it's just more Random Things The Narrator Constantly Says

It's kind of amazing how badly the decision to have an overly chatty narrator dragged the game down for me.

The fact that he speaks for everyone means that everyone talks in the same voice,
And I don't just mean in the literal sense, but he pretty much never changes his tone or intensity.

So you meet someone who gives you a quest to pick up some random scrap and then later someone who wants you to kill a monster who ate one of their children. And he voices them in the exact same storyteller way.

This also is also part of the reason why only like 2 maybe 3 characters in the game are memorable.
They all have the same voice, they were all created using the generic cute monster creator and they all have the same adorable nonsense names.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

credburn posted:

It's also bananas how sometimes in the same dialogue tree, he'll speak as a narrator ("He says you'd better get going...") but other times he speaks as the NPC ("I think you should be going now.")

And sometimes he'll take a third option and simply says "Thinks you should be going now" it's really distracting.

credburn posted:

Also, is he supposed to be the grasshopper? Because sometimes the focus is on the grasshopper while the narrator is speaking. So is that the conceit? That actually everything I'm hearing is what the grasshopper is telling the protagonist?

No, I don't think so.
The game doesn't make it super clear, but the grasshopper is the one recording your adventure, and if I remember right the narrator at one point translates the beeps the grasshopper makes.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

That was the poo poo that sucked the worst. I remember being 8 or so and renting the Batman Returns game from Blockbuster. I wasn't great at games so I put the difficulty to Easy. Get past the second level and then get the "Good job. Too bad you're too much of a wuss to see the rest of the game. Try again on a higher difficulty." message.

gently caress that. That's a lovely way to build your game. If you're going to do that, then don't have an easy mode.

If I remember right, this was particularly lovely with ported games.

You'd have a Japanese game, usually a Brawler/Shooter/Fighting game, that would have something like easy, normal and hard modes, plus an unlockable very hard mode for people who finished the game. And you could finish it in any difficulty.

When it got ported, the company doing the porting would remove easy mode, and rename the remaining normal, hard and very hard modes as easy, normal and hard, and then stop you from finishing the game on anything but hard.

Working Designs was infamous for this crap.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Yeah, TotK is one of my favourite games of all time, but the scaling is too hard and too quick and it leads to a couple issues.

The first is suddenly you find yourself losing half of your life in a single hit when you were doing just fine before.
The obvious answer is upgrade your armour, but that leads to the second issue.

Upgrading your armour usually requires monster parts, but since lower tier monsters stop appearing nearly as often and you use their parts to strengthen your weapons you can find yourself in a situation where you have the parts needed to get the third or even fourth upgrade, but not enough to get the second upgrade.

Also even though there are a couple ways to make them stronger, your companions don't scale nearly as well as the monsters, so they aren't too useful in combat.

Except for Tulin, he's made out of feathers and spite and hearing the "DING!" sound as he shoots a massive monster in the eye will never not be funny.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Muscle Tracer posted:

I loved this one in particular. Who are you gonna trust, the nice lady at a place with "clinic" in the name, or the cackling ghoul who's weirdly specific about how he likes people who are alive?

I like how there is a way to figure out what's going on ahead of time, but nearly everyone is going to miss it their first play through.

This is from memory, so some of it may be off:

The lady running the clinic gets replaced at some point, but it's hard to tell because you talk to her though a door.

When you meet her, she gives you a healing item, but her dialogue only really updates if you use it and come back for another.
She eventfully warms up to you and becomes friendly.

But at some point, she starts acting differently, which is a big hint that the woman on the other side of the door is someone different, and she murdered the first woman.

If you don't keep coming back and replacing the unique healing item, you'll never notice this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Muscle Tracer posted:

I'd say there's also some unmissable tells, namely that the deeply horrifying opening cutscene happens at the clinic, and also the medicine they are giving you is literally human blood, but that's all likely to get lost in the haze of "It's a game! Healing items! Yay!"

Too be fair:

While it's true the overall practice of blood healing may have caused one....maybe two small, minor, don't worry about it okay, issues.
The actual act of giving your blood to another is usually framed as a kind and even intimate act, and it's heavily implied she's giving you her own blood.

So within the context of the games world, her giving you vials of human blood isn't really a tell that something evil is going down.
If anything it's perfectly normal and even kind that a woman working in a clinic while poo poo is going down is willing to help out a hunter while most other people are hiding in their homes.