Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mr. mephistopheles posted:

This game Valdis Story is a fun Metroidvania that ranks you on boss fights and you get bonuses for getting higher ranks. The problem is the ranks upgrade your skills, so if you gently caress up a battle you're handicapping yourself for the rest of the game. I'm not far enough to know if the numbers are so small that the difference is marginal, but it still bugs my OCD knowing even beating a boss is kinda worthless if I don't do it perfectly.

I felt the same way about the Megaman Zero games.

IIRC, it's something along the lines of you only get the boss weapon if you A-rank the boss... and went into the level with an A-rank to get a more difficult boss to begin with.

And you reduce your rank if you use any of the once-per game collectables - permanently, in the case of the ones that give a permanent powerup.

Naturally, you can't replay the levels to try to get a better rank.

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 02:46 on Jul 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also, don't have a window behind the wiimote, since sunlight will wash out the IR beacons in the sensor bar.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Right. Been a while since I'd seen the actual line.

VII's biggest issue with translation is it was (probably) translated in-house on the Japanese side of things. So it's overly literal in a bunch of spots, and the grammar and spelling can be quite spotty. For the most part though, it's not terribly hard to understand, and doesn't have any outright story changing mistakes like some games (Chrono Trigger is an example of that, sort of).

That's the 'Lavos is splicing in DNA to force human evolution' nonsense, right?

Which ended up getting back-ported into Chrono Cross' horrible plot.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

As much as I like Star Control II, the mineral collection hasn't aged very well. I wish there were more minigames to do for it. Something like Warioware or whatever.

Hopefully Stardock doesn't gently caress up their spinoff.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Strategic Tea posted:

Imagine Lord of the Rings if they ran into a bunch of other Fellowships along the way that just sort of dithered around killing miscellaneous poo poo and living off a somehow endless supply of 10,0000 year old ruins, because work is work and it's not taxed or whatever.

Isn't that basically the Rangers' entire schtick?

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 17:38 on Sep 8, 2014

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ryoshi posted:

Annnnnd I finished it. The ending dragged the game down for me. It fit the rest of the game, I guess, but saying "hey whatever I tell you is going to seem like a cop-out" does not make the cop-out of not explaining ANYTHING about the Tragedy suck any less. And what the gently caress was up with that post-credits scene, anyway?

Does Danganronpa 2 touch on or explain any of this crap or is it just same poo poo, different setting?

I love how the cafeteria has windows that clearly show an outdoor area, and nobody ever comments on it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ryoshi posted:

I'm playing Dwarf Fortress at the moment and it's a complicated enough game without all the bugs - there's a feature to check if your trade depot is accessible to caravans, and this whole time it's been telling me that not only was my depot inaccessible but the entire REGION was.

That's for wagons, which require a three-tile-wide path to the map's edge. They can still come in on donkeys, but can carry way less stuff.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cleretic posted:

The only good fishing minigame was in Ocarina of Time. And it was mostly great because there wasn't much in the way of rewards (meaning you could skip it pretty safely), and also there was in-built cheating.

Dark Cloud's was pretty good too.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Len posted:

Because Tiggum frequently gets bitched at in this thread for having opinions against the norm. How dare he have opinions in things!?

Yeah, we should bitch at him for not playing Star Control II.

Hey Tiggum, play it, it's free

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Every time I try to play Star Control 2 I aimlessly bob around Sol getting shouted at by aliens and then I try to leave and get attacked by different angry aliens and then I have to play the combat and I don't understand the combat and get killed by what seems to be an overwhelming foe immediately. I do not understand Star Control 2

You mean these guys?

Yeah they're pretty tricky to fight if you're a new player.

I have to say the worst thing in the game is that their random encounter rate is about 10 times normal before you finish the tutorial (IE: getting the earth starbase online by giving them some radioactives from mercury, then dealing with the lunar stuff). It's one of the few examples of developer enforced railroading.

I do like how you can set the combat mode to 'cyborg', and have the computer do all your fights for you, so you just need to pick good ship matchups to win.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

I never really got this complaint against Star Control 2. Outside of those planets and systems that actually have plot stuff in them, that is usually alluded to or hinted at by various conversations in the game, there's really no reason to go into the galaxy and mine out every single planet. Hell, I think destroying the Slylandro probes gives you more money than most planet hauls, and that doesn't take up any storage space and becomes trivially easy with a Spathi Eluder.

But I guess OCD is a rather crippling condition sometimes.

Probes are pretty hard for new players.

That said, without a manual (so you can't find the 'snake eating a elephant' constellation), and the bug with the mycon homeworld coordinates are also problems.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The camera in Dragon Age: Origins is really annoying. Low maximum height, and you have to have a character onscreen at all times in isometric mode.

Enemies can shoot you with arrows from outside targeting range. Really irritating.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

So it's a roguelike.

Ideally a roguelike makes each death feel like your own fault.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cleretic posted:

This is actually because of how the game loads, it's not the encounter design. The game only ever loads rooms when they're needed, and unloads rooms the moment they're no longer pertinent, so at most it will only ever have the current room and any adjacent ones in memory. Corridors are easy; it only has to load one room, since you just came from the other direction. It does come out as that kind of encounter design, since a big fight will always be in a big-load room, but that's not the intention.

Incidentally, that's the original reason for why megaman has the little corridor before all the bosses.

Now it's tradition.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I don't get this. What's wrong with having more quests in your list? They just sit there waiting for you to get to them, it's not a problem, is it?

Your desktop, I presume?

Posting from a browser that looks like this?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

kazil posted:

Maybe Assassin's Creed just follows the rule of Star Trek Movies.

Only play the even numbered ones.

What's the Asscreed equivalent of galaxy quest?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kalos posted:

And that's still ignoring that at least half games will have your head hidden behind a mask or helmet unless your choose to take the gear hit by not equipping one.

Star Trek Online has some pretty great space barbies.

Part of that is you only have one 'armor' slot, and instead of just equipping it you unlock all the armor bits in the tailor, so you can mix and match.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The problem with borderlands for me has been the lack of enemy variety.

So when I found a gun I actually liked halfway through, it just gradually got suckier while fighting the same enemies over and over.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Byzantine posted:

To be fair, why would you play a fantasy game with different races and pick Human..sorry, Hyur?

Depends on the game. Goons have reasons.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If I directed Bioshock Infinite I would put in a game-mechanic whereby the more random snacks you eat, the fatter you become. You'll run slower, you'll jump lower, and your fingers would become too fat to operate any handguns.

There's a sonic romhack that does that, based on how many onion rings you eat.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Because Gilgamesh is traditionally the super-hard bonus boss, much of the game centers around him skirting the sidelines of various major world-spanning conflicts, picking fights with whoever crosses his path when he does so. Because clearly, the people who are deliberately not going straight for their biggest enemies are the strongest, bravest and greatest of all.

The super-hard bonus boss in his own game is actually a flashback to Final Fantasy V. Because what's the hardest fight to a recurring superboss? Their initial appearance as a henchman that you actually are supposed to win against.

This is my new favorite game idea.

Include weapon durability, except Gilgamesh just gets bored with using the same sword, and you have to keep adding more and more jewels and sequins and poo poo to restore his interest.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

The Riddler's superpower is telling people how to catch him.
Riddle me this, Batman. I am going to "shoot" the "mayor" with a "gun".

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

scarycave posted:

This needs to happen. It can be a retelling of every final fantasy game except from Gilgamesh's point of view, and Endiku will keep changing from game to game like the Dog from Secret of Evermore.

Weapon durability system, except it's Gilgamesh just getting bored with his new sword.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Poulpe posted:

one final Zelda - Breath of the Wild gripe-

I've collected a little less than half of what is available in the game, and the game seems more than satisfied with me clearing everything with that. The rest just feels like pointless overkill for completionists.

Korok seeds are definitely that, so probably intentional.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Easy difficulty has the 'use healing items at 0 hp automatically', right?

And can't you change difficulty from the menu?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bar Crow posted:

This is pretty much all action oriented fiction though, not just video games. "Raise the stakes" is the standard lazy storytelling technique.

Its something that RPG mechanics sorta encourage as well.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

It's an RPG maker game so it's not too heavy on storage. Keep it to one drive just to have everything in one spot.

It's real good and I haven't had a game surprise me this hard or consistently before.

My only complaint is that the game advises you to play it on windowed mode but the display is locked on a really tiny resolution on my screen.

Try this program

http://www.digitallis.co.uk/pc/ResizeEnable/

Works on some things, but not others (unfortunately, 7th stand user isn't resizeable)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, that's a good way to describe it! It's like a Star Fox thing or the Gummy Ship fights in Kingdom Hearts 1 but you can't boost or brake.

Rail shooter

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

Pretty much any game where you are forced to walk or move slower than you normally do during gameplay.

I'm playing The Division and every time you leave or enter your main base you a forced to walk through the decontamination zone. You can't even walk normally in regular gameplay (I think?) so it sticks out even more. I'm sure its to hide a loading screen or whatever but it still bugs me.

a particularly annoying one is in star trek online, where you have to spacewalk around the outside of deep space nine without any combat or dialogue. And apparently you weigh fifty times more in space because you're locked to a snail's pace.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

Only downside to Plague Knights gameplay is having to pause the action to switch up his gear. I know it's supposed to be a holdover from its megaman/castlevania roots but it still breaks up the flow.

besides megaman gave you the quickswitch on the l and r buttons once they existed.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PubicMice posted:

My favorite thing about the Dragon Age setting is that that's literally its name, Thedas: THE Dragon Age Setting. They were so strapped for original ideas they couldn't even come up with a name for their world.

Its like how ASOIF just named its areas north/south/east/west

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gerblyn posted:

What annoys me about the stat system in P5 is how going to school is apparently utterly worthless. I can spend 8 hours a day in school for a year and apparently learn nothing, yet if I start spending time in some cafe drinking tea and reading, all of a sudden I become some kind of genius. Acadamagia does the same thing, it's more effective to skip lessons and read a book than go to them and actually be taught.

What I hate about Academagia is the awful skill system.

Now, for people who aren't familiar with the game, basically it's one of those Select your schedule for the week, pencil in 'adventure' on Wednesday life sim games, where you're basically Harry Potter.

Events give you two or three options to choose from at each decision point, which get determined by rolls based on your ranks in the appropriate "parent skill" or subskill. A 'parent skill' gets levelled up based on the lowest subskill, so to rank up 'war' you have to seperately rank up 'command', 'logistics', and 'leadership'

This would be okay, but:

There are 310 distinct skills in the game.

As you can guess, they ran out of ideas pretty quickly. There's the "Compete" parent skill, which includes "Manipulation", "Planning", "Wit", and ... "Striving Against the Foe". But not "Competition", because "Competition" is an Athletics skill.

It's also a game where you're supposed to recruit friends into your team to go on adventures with, but without a level-cap breaking mind control spell it's literally impossible to make friends with anyone who already is a friend with someone else.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

1stGear posted:

Yeah, its so far behind us now that its hard to remember specifics, but some of the biggest complainers were literally complaining about how the game was too brightly lit.

"Just smear some dirt over everything, that's how art works."

Just push it a bit in the other direction

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shinies in Gen II were determined by a specific combination of stats which was slightly above average but far from the best.

The reason they didn't determine gender by a strict even/odd comparison was because gender ratios could be skewed from 50/50

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I've managed to softlock games a few times by saving killable NPCs, really they should just make it officially a cutscene and not even pretend you have control

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If you keep the bandage equipped you run from random encounters 100% of the time

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Morpheus posted:

The fact that they pronounce Cao Cao correctly (Tsao Tsao) and not the best way (Cow Cow) is such a shame.

Edit: "I am Cao Pi"

I'm Cao Cao for Cocoa puffs!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

im pooping! posted:

i dont know if you people are seriosu about tiggum or not but he was born with no hands so making fun of him for not being able to use a controller is a really low blow

Foot% speedruns are a thing. No excuses.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I haven't played Sonic Mania, but can't you just do this bit on a keyboard or something? It's a platformer so it can't be too hard to control.

The three-key maximum input generally makes platforming on a keyboard a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Vic posted:

#notallkeyboards

Seriously tho this isn't true of most modern keyboards.

It's been true of every keyboard I've used in the last 20 years, including the one I bought last year I'm typing on right now.

What kind are you using?