Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They're were weighted growths per stat per character. So a knight might have a 70% chance to gain a strength every level, but only a 20% chance to get speed.

The growths have gotten really over inflated in the modern games and sort of hosed the game balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

SubNat posted:

I'm curious, do the growth weights use the same 'feelgood' RNG that later titles of Fire Emblem uses in attacks and the like?

ie: 90% to hit for you isn't 90%, it's more like 99% chance to hit. Weighting the RNG to make it seem more 'correct', because humans are really bad at statistics.
As I recall there's a pretty notable difference in difficulty between the older FE titles that used direct and accurate RNG vs the newer titles that use the adjusted one, because it feels better to play for players.
( As it notably reduces the :xcom: feeling. People have a tendency to be upset when a 90% to hit attack doesn't actually hit. Or a 10% to -get- hit actually hits you. )

I'm not an expert but it looks like it does not, It makes sense too. The true hit system means higher numbers hit more often and lower miss more often, that's fine for players cause most people won't make an attack at less then 80% accuracy. But units with low HP growth's would almost never hit making them complete glass cannons. As far as I know the only rigging on level up's is some games won't let you get an empty one, which I guess is nice.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You could do the same in the older Yakuza games by eating bait.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The weird thing with XCOM2 is that Enemy Within already found a good way to incentivize faster play. Getting meld was extremely powerful so you wanted to push out instead of constantly overwatching, but If you got into a bad spot you could just take the hit and choose to lose it instead of rushing into trouble. It hit the perfect balance as far as I'm concerned.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He has the stealth camo at the beginning though. Neither is strictly canon.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

I started playing a little bit of Hitman again and I like it but I'm gently caress all if I can predict or tell what the hell makes someone suspicious or how to calmly walk away from it. I have the right clothes on, the right weapons out (or none at all), walk calmly, chill and I can't loving fool anybody half the time.

I think the white dots above certain people's heads either mean I blend with them or I stand out but I'm not sure. I think it means I'm in the clear with those dudes when the dot is solid but the game still seems inconsistent about it. It's a fun game. I just wish it were a little more clear about wtf is going on sometimes.

You should go back and play the boat level and the intro mission. That should get you squared away with the mechanics

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Earthbound gives you a bike to move around faster, but you can't use it if you have multiple party members. Why? And they give it to you in the same town that you get the second member.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Morpheus posted:

I actually would prefer if Hitman was episodic. The way you're encouraged to replay each level over and over works so much better when the next level isn't already there waiting for you to play it.

There's actually one more time in the game when you can ride it:

At the very end, after dropping everyone off. There's even a unique set of sounds if you ride it in the swamp water

Well Great, I stopped at Paula's house and got the bear before I picked up the bike, So I guess I'm waiting for awhile before I can hear that tune.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

serefin99 posted:

Morality systems in games have never been good, because as it turns out, condensing all of human morality and the thought processes that go into it down to "here's three options, you literally can't do anything else" doesn't work. I think Fable 2 kind of came the closest, by having separate "good/evil" and "pure/corrupt" sliders... except, if I recall correctly, purity and corruption were tied to things like 'do you use protection when having sex' or 'do you eat healthy' and not, like, your actual moral actions.

Ultima 4 is probably the only game that's managed to pull it off. The world is at relative peace instead of killing badguys your character is tasked with becoming a virtuous person to guide the realm. Doing things like bragging in conversation or killing fleeing enemies will lower the virtues you're trying to raise. Meanwhile avoiding unnecessary conflict, Giving alms to the poor, and dealing honestly with merchants will raise them.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think that's what the dude was saying. But I had to reread it like three times to realize he didn't just want the final encounter to be another frank horrigan

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Byzantine posted:

That would require some measure of hope for the future.

The humanity is doomed approach is so tired. Just believe in it, it costs you nothing and will make everything in your life so much more joyful.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Here's something dragging down DOOM 2016 that'll hopefully help you. Towards the end of the game there's a level where you have to pick up an armor drop to continue the level. I had full armor so I ran around the whole map five or six times before I accidentally ran into it and triggered some walls to fall.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The byzantines didn't use hoplites, you're like a thousand years off.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Godzilla Destroy all Monsters is fun

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The MC killing everyone on the way to the main badguy and then sparing them goes back at least to the Count of Monte Cristo

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Never play dishonored two if you hate the kinetic UI, whoever designed that game was loving allergic to buttons that sit still.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's a reason they decided to just say gently caress it and make an RPG

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I like it as well, I can see why some detest it, but the level pits the player not against the enemies, but against the level itself and I love it for that, translating classic rpg traps and mazes into a 3D space is no easy task.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

How far have you gotten? Dark souls is a great game, but I feel it's the least of the souls borne franchise. It's mechanics somehow feel more slow an antiquated then it's predecessor and while the connected world is fun functionally it matters little when the level design suffers.

This is to say if your not vibing with it by the time you beat the capra demon you can probably feel confident to move on.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Triarii posted:

I know two guys who tried Bloodborne as their first soulsborne game. One of them didn't realize that you have to equip your weapon, and went hours trying to punch everything to death. The other put 100% of his echoes into the arcane stat, and then quit the game after like 10 hours because he couldn't kill anything and was dying in one hit.

These two people are professional game designers.

My old roommate managed to beat Cleric with only his fists, If he hadn't dropped the game after I showed him how to equip weapons he would've been a soulsgod.

John Murdoch posted:

Also every time the subject of easily borked RPG builds comes up I inevitably think about any game with a Mercantile stat and I desperately want to know if anyone has ever intentionally put a point into it.

I did a Torneko run of Oblivion once, just trying to get as much dosh as possible. Kinda boring without a reactive economy

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Same with luck in that game. There was a deliberate attempt to make them both more than dump stats.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I always forget that, I gotta do a jinxed run next time I play fallout one, my last two games were boring small guns skilled builds and I think I know enough to really shake it up.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

OutOfPrint posted:

In P2:EP. Revelations: Persona had save points.

The Japanese version had two main quests. The first was the game that came over stateside. The other, the Snow Queen quest, was nixed from the American version because it had a high school student turn into Mara, a giant penis monster. It was reported to have 10 hours between save points.

Snow queen probably just got cut for time constraints, you can access it with an action replay and part of it is already translated, but the game went through localization in like 6 months or something so translating a balls crushingly difficult bonus quest probably didn't seem like a great idea.

I doubt it was cut because Mara being a penis monster considering the final boss is a teenage girl turning into a penis/vagina/cocoon thing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Stexils posted:

i'm sorry yakuza 0 but i'm not going to loving learn mahjong for a minigame

I watched all of Akagi and couldn't understand Mahjong, I'm not sure if the Non Asian brain is equipped for it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah some of the opputunities in Sapienza, Marrakesh, and Colombia are just insanely long. Really wanted a Phantom Cigar to smoke to run out the clock

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No, they're all bad to varying degrees

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

JackSplater posted:

Xcom 2 seemed to look at people playing xcom 1 and go "okay, how do we force players to not play with slow overwatch creep?" while ignoring that Enemy Within already solved that problem.

Yes! Meld was so much better than what they did in two, I have no clue what they were thinking with that sequel

BiggerBoat posted:

I remember liking Xcom I think way back on PS1 and really enjoy (and miss) super cool real time strategy games. I remember digging C&C and Dune a lot, but isn't the main bitch with the newer version Xcom just coming down to blatant cheating by the AI? Not so much realizing that 90% doesn't equal 100% but just really unfair enemy placement and poo poo like that?

I could use a RTS game in my life these days but the constant reviews and comments talking about the bullshit the game constantly pulls on you has put me off checking it out at all.
You could check out Xenonauts it's pretty much original Xcom as an indie game, not bad but hopefully the sequel irons out some of the kinks

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

by "concerned gamers" dont you mean the chinese gov?

Please the PRC would never resort to such measures, it was a totally independent group of unaffiliated gamers whose accounts just happened to be an hour old and who each got fifty cents in their bank account.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hollow experience is the best description of Skylines i've seen, It's cool for a bit, but there's just zero substance to all of it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mgs2 has substance lol it's in the name

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I liked that and lens flare in Mass Effect, it really helped the visuals nail that old sci fi movie feel.

Each sequel getting progressively worse story wise, really helped that feel too

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Do people just forget rampage is a game? Or does it not count.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ted Faro did nothing wrong, he did his best given the circumstances, and we need to acknowledge that.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cleretic posted:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, an Intel i7 processor, 8 GB of RAM, two monitors (one Samsung, one Dell), and no problems running any other game whatsoever.

Hell, even my old Dark Souls 3 save runs smooth. It's just the new save file that's hosed. So something in it's doing something bad, but I can't tell what, which means I can't avoid it.
Did you get invaded before this happened? Used to be a problem that people would drop hacked Items that would crash the game in Dark Souls 1

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

I mean, there's plenty of real life cases where people just go their separate ways, it's just that "and nothing particularly interesting happened" isn't a very good plot hook.

Happened in Deus Ex HR at least.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Manager Hoyden posted:

I dunno it just seems like "I'm literally looking to die because I can't be with my boyfriend/girlfriend" isn't a super interesting or realistic hook either but then again who knows

Maybe the world really is like romeo and juliet, the literal teenagers in a melodrama hundreds of years old

Local goon tries to own thread by revealing they've never had a meaningful relationship.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

MotU posted:

Those are Kickstarter Backers
I'm sorry, I also wish I hadn't backed

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

RGX posted:

Oh really? I thought you just got your name on those stupid plaques on the walls of crypts etc.

If you shelled out enough Dosh you got to add your own terrible OC do not steal to the game, It was a terrible idea. Luckily I'm just a name on a wall

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

bony tony posted:

That's pretty transphobic, yeah. It calls back to classic Hollywood transphobic twists like Ace Ventura and The Crying Game

I would rate POE much higher if the Main climbed out of a rhino's rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Umineko really needs to get ported into a modern engine, it is unbearable how clunky the UX still is to this day.

My favorite is that the music breaks if my computer sleeps or it changes output