Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

If I recall, the Dark Souls ban came from players complaining about little things and other players going: :smuggo: "But if you knew what you were doing you wouldn't have the problem the game is easy really" :smuggo: and the situation going out of hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

kazil posted:

Romance options in pretty much any video game are really, really awkward.

They're pretty cool in Saints Row IV.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

If adventurers who get arrowed in the knee become cops, what do cops who get shot in the knee become?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

So, eventually all gangbangers will be undercover cops. Fair enough.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Der Kyhe posted:

I also managed to put 100+ h into the game before finding "the third part of the city", Westside and sewersystem.

... There's a sewer system?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

scarycave posted:

He showed me what love is. To my rectum.
Kind of wish FO3 had more of those silly moments like this.

The republic of Dave was pretty great though.

There was that one Vault, where all the inhabitants were all called Gary.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Perhaps not horses, then, but a drat sprint function.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Action Tortoise posted:

I miss the dart gun. It made every deathclaw hobble slowly towards you and you could take your time shooting it in the head before it could even reach striking distance.

As always, there's a mod. And if there isn't, there should be.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

What was also bullshit about Alan Wake was that getting the McGuffin didn't affect game play any.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I also don't dig that Dishonored doesn't display your Chaos score openly during missions.

In general, the Chaos mechanic is weird and sort of arbitrary. Killing people raises your Chaos score, and not killing them reduces it. But stealing plague cures from poor people, killing active plague vectors and robbing rich dudes blind does nothing. What up with that?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

kazil posted:

Perhaps you can explain why. Perhaps using a 20 minute unskippable cutscene.

ftfy

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Why the fresh hell are you playing Sonic 06?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

DStecks posted:

I have two thumbs, and am right handed. Your thumbs have got the most fine control of your fingers, and K+M leaves the right thumb totally unused. Like, imagine if you had to steer your car with your elbows, and nobody questioned this.

I can't believe no one for this: you have two thumbs on your right hand?!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Or use melee weapons, you cretin.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Croccers posted:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Tactics_2

The concept itself is a neat idea. Nature is coming back to the wasteland but not the way humans like it.

That sounds really cool...

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I only do the Namira's ring thing when I'm playing a Bosmer, and then only for roleplay purposes.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Regarding time passing in Assassin's Creed games: I feel they should get some sort of free pass, since the structure of play is very divided between missions and free roaming, and even justified in-world. The Animus provides a story reason for Ezio dicking around in Rome, collecting flags, unlocking tombs and assassinating people.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

StandardVC10 posted:

GTA: New Vegas

That would be awesome and you know it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Mikl posted:

Been playing the Dishonored DLCs since they were on sale on Steam.

Random enemy chatter is repetitive. Could the sound bites get any worse?

Never doubt it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

For a related issue, what's the consensus on Dead Rising only having one save slot?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

In normal conversations, the characters only have three or four animations. If they weren't as distinctive as they are, it wouldn't be a problem, but the wave-your-arm-in-front-of-your-face thing gets really noticeable.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Kimmalah posted:

But speaking of frame rate problems, I've had a terrible time with New Vegas lately because it's decided that the radscoprions I've killed need to follow me around the world, clipping into the ground and somehow slowing everything down to a slideshow.

That's Gamebryo for you.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Thoughtless posted:

Skyrim is bullshit

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I've heard "freelance murderer and salesman", which also fits pretty well.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

That's almost a Gamebryo level of failure right there.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Isn't it usually the other way around?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Every Final Fantasy game is simultaneously the best and the worst game.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Tiggum posted:

Also, it seems like the map is just too big and open. I preferred Dragon Age: Origins where it seemed easier to know what you were supposed to do. And you didn't need to waste time trekking around through the countryside. Skyrim seems really unfocused and I feel like there should be more barriers that fall away as you progress rather than just letting you go wherever you want right from the beginning. I can go and find all these other towns and stuff, but I feel like I'm going to do a bunch of stuff there and then later the game is going to make me go there as part of the story and I'll get there and find no new stuff, just the poo poo I already did.

Wait, you're complaining that an Elder Scrolls game is too big and open? I thought the whole point of TES games was that you could go wherever.

The story isn't really important; it mostly points out the cool poo poo you can do and lets you go do it. Skyrim works really well if you can make your own fun.
:goonsay:

For actual content: The crossbow (long-range silent weapon) in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood breaks the stealth. It can be fired when you're blending, and from horseback (I think). It's expensive, for sure, but if you know what you're doing, you'll have the 12,000 monies required fairly quickly.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Morpheus posted:

What up, Desmond-liking-buddy. I don't give a poo poo about Ezio, or Altair, or Connor, or Jimbo or Francois or whatever, all their stories are the same and frankly their events are foregone conclusions. I want to see all the aliens stuff and the apocalyptic plans and what the gently caress is going to happen oh man, especially when it means getting to see more of the not-quite-future world and stuff.

I just wanna play a modern day AC game. Give me the climbing and the stabbing and the silly pointy outfit in a modern city already.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Who What Now posted:

Hell, I think it would be pretty cool to have a mission where you tail a car from the rooftops towards it's destination to then either do an Air Assassination or even take him out with a rifle. And then have to escape somewhere into the urban jungle.

It's not necessarily Desmond people hated, it's that he never did anything interesting or memorable.

I thought the present-day segments in ACIII were neat. If they'd had the UI elements, they'd've been even better.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

An AC game set in Ancient Egypt would have been dope also.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

SpookyLizard posted:

The oregon trail taught most of us this in grade school.

Jumping onto a bear from the treetops and stabbing it in the neck is more fun than shooting.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Nothing is true

pepperoni and cheese

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Tiggum posted:

Uh, pretty much, yeah. I'm playing games for entertainment. I want it to deliver the fun things to me so that I can enjoy them. :shrug:

That's what Let's Play is for.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

This truly is the tragedy of our age.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The Bee posted:

But rather than a syringe aug or some kind of throat-slitting knife, lets just give him giant fuckoff baraka blades. Those are really subtle.

Marketing insisted on it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Bukowski posted:

Amazing Chest Ahead

Don't give up, skeleton!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Screaming Idiot posted:

I call bullshit on that, by the way. According to Colonel Campbell, "I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm, in flap-jaw space, with the tuning fork, does a raw blink on Hiri-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!"

That actually wasn't Campbell, it was an AI masquerading as Campbell who had just been infected with a virus. So it makes perfect sense that it'd say weird stuff like that.
:goonsay:

Actual weird dialogue from a Metal Gear game: "So, if I ate these mushrooms, they'd recharge my batteries, right?"

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

JebanyPedal posted:

The singing scene in Dragon Age Inquisition, my girlfriend was in the room, haven't felt that embarrassed since my dad walking in on an MGS3 cutscene when I was in high school.

Which cutscene was it? Did Eva have her tits out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

He must have been fairly happy with the sound, too.

Because ocelots are proud creatures, you see.

E: :ocelot: