Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Munkaboo: do you have a preferred controller and security system?

I currently have two Schlage Connect (Zwave) locks.

I'm trying to find a security system that has partition support as I have a separate building in addition to my house. With that, I'd like to be able to arm/disarm/check status the security system through the home automation. For automation, I'm trying to avoid any solution that requires me to use a "cloud" platform to use a mobile app and have no problem VPN'ing back home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Domoticz: this is the only package I was able to get working on my Synology. I like the simplicity of it so far for my handful of z wave devices.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

PuTTY riot posted:

I guess I should've specified that they've vinyl. But the PO installed speakers in the backyard so I think I'll be alright.

Just installed a Hikvision camera into vinyl, it's light enough. Used some deck screws. The Cat 5 was dogged by my security system installers several months ago. Using POE for power.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Keystoned posted:

What is the consensu on nest vs ecobee thermostats? I have a smallish house so the multi room sensors arent that useful for me. Im considering the ecobee lite - is the only difference the multi sensor function?

The other difference is that the lites don't do automatic occupancy. I have one of each, the normal 3 is in my house where the remote sensors and occupancy sensing is useful and the lite is in my detached addition which is usually unoccupied. I wanted a smart thermostat in there because on more than a couple of occasions I turned on the AC while working out and forgot about turning it off when done. The Ecobee has definitely saved me money since I got it in July.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Welp, house from the 40's you win again on the electrical smart home front. (Tried to install Jasco (GE branded) Z Wave switches for a 3way light fixture, no neutrals on one side.)

Wanting the second opinion on Lutron's Caseta stuff, anyone use it?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Got a Leutron Caseta kit, two dimmers, two remotes and a bridge. Good stuff. Didn't take much effort to get it setup on a 3way circuit in my no neutral house. Had to buy some dimmer bulbs before hand.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
If you do the keep the mechanical 3 way, you need to use the neutral required Caseta switch, the PD-6ANS. I have this exact setup for one of my 3ways and it works well. I also have a dimmer + remote 3 way setup, tied one side together with a wirenut and put the remote plate over. All the Lutron stuff has been rock solid. I'm looking at a plug-in lamp dimmer for one room and another wall dimmer for a chandelier in my dining room.

Edit: also, their support is good. I've called them a couple times with questions, pre and post install, and for the 6ANS switch I installed: I scraped the face a little after installation and ask if they sold replacements, they are sending me a replacement switch and asking me to send the old one back. No credit card or the like.

Also, I use the Smart Bridge via a Vera Plus controller.

The Electronaut fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 9, 2017

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Moey posted:

So I need to get a controller and have been torn between ST, VeraPlus and a USB Z-Wave stick with some software.

Should I just stag this to get started?

I've been happy with my VeraPlus. I screwed up the Z wave controller in it trying to migrate my existing Z wave network to the point that it was hosed. Setup a support ticket and enabled remote assistance and their technical support was able to remote in and fix the problem completely. I have a handful of Lutron Caseta lighting devices plus some Z wave locks, light switch, and power receptacle, and my Ecobees.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Moey posted:

Good enough for me, will pull the trigger on one. I would prefer full functionality even if the internet dies, which apparently ST doesn't offer.

It does support offline capabilities, obviously devices that integrate over the Internet probably won't work. I'll give this a test tonight to see how well things go. My Lutron and Ecobee stuff probably won't work but who knows.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Moey posted:

I pulled the trigger on one, will be here next week.

First order of business is new lock for the front door. I have been eyeballing a Schlage Sense unit, looks nice and can program codes for guests and whatnot.

Hold up on the Sense. It's their Bluetooth lock which I can't see any compatibility info for. I have Schlage Connects which are Z Wave powered.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

bobfather posted:

I run Hiks, but that is the reason I went through and VLAN-ed all my cams recently so they can't see anything but time.microsoft.com and their Blue Iris server.

I did this too with my Hikvision's and Synology.

Edit: but went a little more extreme, blocked the cameras from talking to anything and only allowed traffic into the network.

The Electronaut fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 7, 2017

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Violator posted:

Any suggestions for LED bulbs (65-100w equivalent, 2700ish color) that work well with the Lutron Caseta in-wall dimmer (PD-6WCL)? I've tried several different bulbs in my living room table lamps and each one buzzes no matter the brightness. I've been using the Lutron bulb guide (http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/3682066_CFL_LED_Bulb_list.pdf pages 50-57) but I'm having a hard time finding any non-flood bulbs that have positive reviews.

Even the ones they suggest, like http://a.co/2Z8uAEY has user reviews complaining about a buzzing sound.

I've been using a 4 pack of these with Caseta dimmers no problem: http://www.homedepot.com/p/EcoSmart-60W-Equivalent-Soft-White-A19-Energy-Star-Dimmable-LED-Light-Bulb-4-Pack-A810SS-Q1D-01/206047134

I had the same problem, couldn't find anything on their list.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
^^^ this is me. Vera, lutron caseta, schlage deadbolts.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Munkaboo posted:

Any of you guys use alarm.com based systems?

Yes. What's your question?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
I had a problem with my two Ecobee thermostats with my two Ubiquiti APs when I attempted to use the zero handshake/seemless handoff functionality. If one AP went down for upgrading firmware, the thermostats wouldn't communicate unless you powered cycled them (pull them from the wall).

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

uPen posted:

There's a power switch near your furnace you can use to kill power to a thermostat.

Either at the panel or in the attic, so pulling the Ecobee off the wall for two seconds was far easier.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

housefly posted:

Ok I’m having a weird issue with my Ecobee3 lite and figured I’d post here.

My comfort settings inside the app are 69 degrees when warming and home, 65 degrees when away and asleep.

I have it connected to smart things. My away and sleep are set to 65 degrees. My “I’m back” is set to 69 degrees.

I also have it connected to Alexa via both skills.

Every. Single. Day. It sets the temperature during the day to 67 degrees. At one point I did have it set to that, but upped it (I thought) universally across all of the systems.

What the hell am I missing? There’s no settings for comfort in the Alexa skills. Is there something buried in SmartThings that would override my home/away settings?

Double check under Ecobee's HomeIQ section of the webpage a couple things, you can look at the System Monitor, Schedule, and Follow Me (not sure if you have this, I have an Ecobee3 lite where I don't have this, but it's probably a configuration part on my end of things as it is used in a building that I'm rarely in, so no scheduling or the like).

Does anything stand out when the temperature shifts?

Edit: Also, get on the horn with their customer support, I've found them to be very good and helpful.

The Electronaut fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

wolrah posted:

Most decent UPSes support USB/serial monitoring of at least power input state and all the recent ones I've used will give you all the stats you could want about voltage, utilization, power factor, etc. If yours supports those features you should be good to go with just software and maybe a cable (especially if it's APC, they love their proprietary cables).

I’m guessing their ONT is away from the rest of their networking kit.