Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Anyone read Paul Cornell's Severed Streets yet? I finished a re-read of London Falling last night, and it's such bullshit that I have to wait another five days because I'm using the US kindle store.

I'd cancel my pre-order, but the UK ebooks are waaaay more expensive. I'm so conflicted!

e: Dammit. It's apparently because I'm in NZ, a country that was once under the thumb of the UK but we still have to wait an extra week. Weak.

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Given Butchers predilection for borrowing liberally from other mythologies, any one got a clue as to whether or not Goodman Grey has a basis in anything/anyone else?

I did a quick google after I finished and found this which talks about a Goodman Grey advocating at the Salem Witch Trial for magic being intrinsically neutral, and that any evil is in the practicioner themselves.

Seems relevant for a naagaloshii (who have heretofore been portrayed as evil down to the bone) trying to rise above his heritage.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Wolpertinger posted:

That sort of reminds me, I wonder what's going to happen in regards to the coins lost in Hades - there's some sort of equilibrium with the Coins, and removing some from the game permanently in a way that they can't be 'recirculated' might allow potentially the Fallen to act in some way to restore that equilibrium.

Surely that would be due to free will of the agents involved in the book, so "they" couldn't do anything about it? It's not as if Heaven or Hell directly acted to achieve that.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

There is a quote somewhere about how even the most powerful wizards have to burn a heap of energy to scratch an Outsider, which would seem to imply that they're resistant rather than impervious. Said artefacts are probably so powerful (owing to the nature of their creation) that they can just push right through that resistance. They might be better wielded by a Starborn, but they'll still get the job done if not.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Roger Tangerines posted:

Anybody else read The Severed Streets?

Yeah pretty much everything you said there is spot on.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Reveilled posted:

He has to do it as part of the committee overseeing HR policies and health and safety regulations for vampiric employees, which is codenamed DRESDEN RICE, too.

I spent several pages trying to remember any link between Dresden and a staple carbohydrate

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

StoryBundle has a bunch of urban fantasy up now. Never heard of any of it except Twenty Palaces, look worthwhile to anyone?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Wade Wilson posted:

The current humble book bundle is better.

Would link it, but I'm phone posting.

This Humble ebook Bundle? Yeah, I got that one already.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

http://storybundle.com/fantasy?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=urbanfantasyStory Bundle has a wee Bigfoot short story collection [/URL] from Butcher.

E: fuckin phones man

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Anything in there worth buying other than the Bigfoot stuff?

Kevin J. Anderson did those horrible Dune books with Herbert's kid - I think he was the one who also did Star Wars novels and just recycled ideas between the two series?
Stackpole did Star Wars too.
Elizabeth Bear's name seems familiar but I can't place anything.

So... not really? Certainly nothing I'd recommend, but I guess if you've got time and nothing else to read there could be a few OK ones in there.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

WRT Butters being a Mary-Sue... didn't Butcher play him in the TV show?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

Nah, played by a guy named Matt Gordon according to IMDB.

My bad. He was an "extra" working as Butter's assistant in the background.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Wittgen posted:

Butcher has said that he wrote Butters so that he would have a character he could cosplay. Maybe that's what you were thinking of?

Nope. Dude behind Justin's coffin.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Kate Griffin's Midnight Mayor/Magicals Anonymous books are pretty fun too. Nice and light, and no weird sex stuff that I can recall.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Ika posted:

So, I now finished Who killed Sherlock Holmes. After reading it it seems like its doing a significant amount of setup for whatever is coming next, but it feel like it answered that many questions about the otherarching story.

Is it better than the previous one? I really enjoyed the first, but the bullshit with Gaiman really messed with the tone and soured me on the second. Glad to hear about the overarching story stuff though, it certainly has potential there.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Digital?

fake edit: yes, two, right there on the cover

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

awesmoe posted:

that is an amazingly amazingly low bar. How does it compare to actual good tv?

Personally thought ep1 was a little odd, but then I'm very familiar with the book and may take away different things than your average job public. Seems like it would have been better if you could immediately roll into the second ep a la netflix releases, but there you go.

Watch episode one, and if it doesn't grab you still watch the start of ep 2 because holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

OK I read the whole Paul Cornell Witches of Lychford series

Trip report:

1) They're all pretty good

2) None of them are as good as London Falling was but, on the other hand,

3) they are blessedly not set in London, making them practically unique in urban fantasy

4) they're all novella length, only buy discounted

5) I can see why he shifted to this series because it's probably more marketable

Is the third one good? I was put off by the Gaiman stuff in the second and never picked it up